_Blood Music_ by Greg Bear
2017-04-28 18:25:13 UTC
_Blood Music_ by Greg Bear
https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Music-Greg-Bear/dp/1497637023/

A single book without a prequel or a sequel. I read the very nice trade
paperback that was originally published in 1985. Somebody in
rec.arts.sf.written recommended the book to me so, thanks !

An unscrupulous scientist converts his lymphocytes to have native
intelligence. The inhabitants of Earth are eventually totally affected
by this fast spreading change. I did not totally understand the ending
and I wonder if the author did. That said, I enjoyed the book.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars (163 reviews)

Lynn
Carl Fink
2017-04-28 19:45:55 UTC
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars (163 reviews)
I hated this book. Interesting start, conclusion boils down to "and then I
stopped writing SF and went into full deus ex machina mode."
--
Carl Fink ***@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!
Lynn McGuire
2017-04-28 20:30:25 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Lynn McGuire
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars (163 reviews)
I hated this book. Interesting start, conclusion boils down to "and then I
stopped writing SF and went into full deus ex machina mode."
I can see that view. The ending was not very well explained.

Lynn
Cryptoengineer
2017-04-28 20:48:40 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Lynn McGuire
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars (163 reviews)
I hated this book. Interesting start, conclusion boils down to "and
then I stopped writing SF and went into full deus ex machina mode."
I can see that view. The ending was not very well explained.
I think he was going for something along the lines of 'what happens
to quantum physics when *every* event has an immediate present
observer?', but am not sure.

pt
Carl Fink
2017-04-30 02:33:55 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Lynn McGuire
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars (163 reviews)
I hated this book. Interesting start, conclusion boils down to "and
then I stopped writing SF and went into full deus ex machina mode."
I can see that view. The ending was not very well explained.
I think he was going for something along the lines of 'what happens
to quantum physics when *every* event has an immediate present
observer?', but am not sure.
Yeah, but that depends heavily on the reader not knowing anything about
quantum mechanics and uncertainty. I'm no physicist but I did pass a course
on the subject as an undergraduate, and there are no observers in it. Just
interactions.

Robert Carnegie
2017-04-30 11:51:16 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Lynn McGuire
My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars (163 reviews)
I hated this book. Interesting start, conclusion boils down to "and
then I stopped writing SF and went into full deus ex machina mode."
I can see that view. The ending was not very well explained.
I think he was going for something along the lines of 'what happens
to quantum physics when *every* event has an immediate present
observer?', but am not sure.
Yeah, but that depends heavily on the reader not knowing anything about
quantum mechanics and uncertainty. I'm no physicist but I did pass a course
on the subject as an undergraduate, and there are no observers in it. Just
interactions.
Does an undergraduate not count as an observer?

I suppose Jocelyn Bell didn't, and she was a
post-graduate......