_Outland (World-Lines) (Volume 1)_ by Dennis E. Taylor
2017-04-02 19:32:45 UTC
_Outland (World-Lines) (Volume 1)_ by Dennis E. Taylor

https://www.amazon.com/Outland-World-Lines-1-Dennis-Taylor/dp/150563119X/

Book number one of a planned two book SF pre and post apocalyptic
series. The book is self published via CreateSpace. I read the POD
(print on demand) trade paperback version with excellent fonts and
paper. I will buy the sequel when it is published.

Basically, a group of college students invent a trans-dimensional device
and start exploring a parallel Earth that does not have humans on it.
His description of the wandering Smilodons is unnerving. Then the
Yellowstone Super Volcano blows up back on their home Earth.

The book pays very serious homage to _Wildside_ by Stephen Gould. It
mentions the book in the story a couple of times.
https://www.amazon.com/Wildside-Steven-Gould/dp/0312854730/

I really enjoy the author's writing style. Short chapters and
continuously changing points of view. Also his books do not take
themselves too seriously. In my opinion, the author's second book, _We
Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse) (Volume 1)_, is the best book of
2016.
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/

My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (I could be persuaded to go 5 stars)
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (141 reviews)

2017-04-02 19:38:36 UTC
[...]
Hmm. Turning an unwilling conscript loose with an interstellar spacecraft.
What can _possibly_ go wrong?
Robert Carnegie
2017-04-02 20:57:07 UTC
_Outland (World-Lines) (Volume 1)_ by Dennis E. Taylor
https://www.amazon.com/Outland-World-Lines-1-Dennis-Taylor/dp/150563119X/
Book number one of a planned two book SF pre and post apocalyptic
series. The book is self published via CreateSpace. I read the POD
(print on demand) trade paperback version with excellent fonts and
paper. I will buy the sequel when it is published.
Basically, a group of college students invent a trans-dimensional device
and start exploring a parallel Earth that does not have humans on it.
His description of the wandering Smilodons is unnerving. Then the
Yellowstone Super Volcano blows up back on their home Earth.
The book pays very serious homage to _Wildside_ by Stephen Gould. It
mentions the book in the story a couple of times.
https://www.amazon.com/Wildside-Steven-Gould/dp/0312854730/
Serious indeed. I'm reminded of this 1974 (!)
television review mentioning the effect of
over-quoting.
<http://www.clivejames.com/books/visions/more>
2017-04-03 19:38:34 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
I really enjoy the author's writing style. Short chapters and
continuously changing points of view. Also his books do not take
themselves too seriously. In my opinion, the author's second book, _We
Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse) (Volume 1)_, is the best book of
2016.
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/
My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (I could be persuaded to go 5 stars)
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (141 reviews)
Lynn
Sorry, I do not get your comment.

2017-04-03 20:52:48 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
I really enjoy the author's writing style. Short chapters and
continuously changing points of view. Also his books do not take
themselves too seriously. In my opinion, the author's second book, _We
Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse) (Volume 1)_, is the best book of
2016.
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/
My rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (I could be persuaded to go 5 stars)
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (141 reviews)
Lynn
Sorry, I do not get your comment.
Lynn
The works aren't similar at all, except for
each of the authors possibly having been too
much impressed by another author's work.

Of course some important works are substantially
a reaction to other work, and if the later author
want to have a conversation with that other work,
it may be best to do so openly - unless that gets
you a "cease and desist".

Is this one, then, like _Lord of the Flies_ (SF)
to _The Coral Island_?
Lynn McGuire
2017-04-03 21:29:34 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
_Wildside_ is where the protagonist finds a portal to another universe in a cave. Kind of like ERB's cave portal to Mars for John
Carter.

_Outland_ is where several protagonists create a portal machine to the universes to the right and left of the Earth.

So the two stories are about portals to alternate uninhabited Earths that can be plundered at will.

And there is a third story along these lines also, _Conquistador_ by S. M. Stirling.
https://www.amazon.com/Conquistador-S-M-Stirling-ebook/dp/B00256Z2B4/

2017-04-05 10:18:37 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
And there is a third story along these lines also, _Conquistador_ by S. M. Stirling.
https://www.amazon.com/Conquistador-S-M-Stirling-ebook/dp/B00256Z2B4/
See also the Pratchett/Baxter collaborative series _the Long {noun}_, where
a meta-tech device incorporating a potato makes it possible for most people to
'step' left or right on the probability line of Earths, all the others of
which do not have human inhabitants (though some of them have nonhumans). And
at least one of which, rather far down the line, is missing entirely,
apparently due to a long-ago planetoid collision or the like.

The series ends up exploring many ramifications of the setting. I enjoy it but
am not actually buying it, because it's not out in paperback, only in Very
Short Trade Paperback, that size apparently engineered to stand out from the
standard and which consequently doesn't fit anywhere I can store it. Pity.

Dave, the library is mah friend
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.