[Because My Tears Are Delicious To You] The City Under Ground by Suzanne Martel
2018-04-29 13:45:53 UTC
The City Under Ground by Suzanne Martel

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/earth-air-water-tree
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-04-29 15:05:35 UTC
The City Under Ground by Suzanne Martel
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/earth-air-water-tree
I find myself a little disappointed that some of your [Tears] series
don't actually take a moment to tell us how the story compared to your
memory - I always look forward to that bit. Tears out of five?

Cheers - Jaimie
Sent from my VAX 11/780
James Nicoll
2018-04-29 15:25:10 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by James Nicoll
The City Under Ground by Suzanne Martel
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/earth-air-water-tree
I find myself a little disappointed that some of your [Tears] series
don't actually take a moment to tell us how the story compared to your
memory - I always look forward to that bit. Tears out of five?
It didn't live up to my memory of it, esp once I realized the bearded
electricity stealers might be intended to be descendants of Montreal's
Jews.
Or maybe they were just "moutain men".
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-04-29 15:43:03 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by James Nicoll
The City Under Ground by Suzanne Martel
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/earth-air-water-tree
I find myself a little disappointed that some of your [Tears] series
don't actually take a moment to tell us how the story compared to your
memory - I always look forward to that bit. Tears out of five?
It didn't live up to my memory of it, esp once I realized the bearded
electricity stealers might be intended to be descendants of Montreal's
Jews.
*sucks teeth* Ick. Spotting racism, sexism and bigotry in stuff I read
as a kid always worries me. How deep did it penetrate into my youthful
psyche?

I'm looking at you Piers Anthony, Orson Scott Card, H P Lovecraft.

(Fortunately most of it appears to have bounced off and is only visible
as a heightened awareness of such things nowadays)

Cheers - Jaimie
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" -- Groucho Marx