Discussion:
Prisoner of Azkaban: Dog Growls At Harry Potter
(too old to reply)
t***@gmail.com
2016-09-08 20:05:40 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Prisoner of Azkaban Spoilers:

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
The movie:

After blowing up his aunt, Harry panics and runs away. As he is resting after his flight, he sees a large black dog, and the dog growls at him! Later, he learns that the dog is his Godfather Sirius Black, who seeks to protect Harry Potter. Why then does Sirius growl at Harry?
James Rau
2016-09-08 20:31:30 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 13:05:40 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com wrote:

>Prisoner of Azkaban Spoilers:
>
>1
>2
>3
>4
>5
>6
>7
>8
>9
>0
>
>1
>2
>3
>4
>5
>6
>7
>8
>9
>0
>The movie:
>
>After blowing up his aunt, Harry panics and runs away. As he is resting after his flight, he sees a large black dog, and the dog growls at him! Later, he learns that the dog is his Godfather Sirius Black, who seeks to protect Harry Potter. Why then does Sirius growl at Harry?

Because Sirius is still on the lam at this point and doesn't want to
place Harry in more danger than he already is?

James Rau
TB
2016-09-08 21:38:52 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 1:31:37 PM UTC-7, James Rau wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 13:05:40 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >Prisoner of Azkaban Spoilers:
> >
> >1
> >2
> >3
> >4
> >5
> >6
> >7
> >8
> >9
> >0
> >
> >1
> >2
> >3
> >4
> >5
> >6
> >7
> >8
> >9
> >0
> >The movie:
> >
> >After blowing up his aunt, Harry panics and runs away. As he is resting after his flight, he sees a large black dog, and the dog growls at him! Later, he learns that the dog is his Godfather Sirius Black, who seeks to protect Harry Potter. Why then does Sirius growl at Harry?
>
> Because Sirius is still on the lam at this point and doesn't want to
> place Harry in more danger than he already is?

I don't see anyone suspecting that a random dog of being an escaped convict just because it fails to growl!
Kevrob
2016-09-08 23:58:00 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 5:39:04 PM UTC-4, TB wrote:
> On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 1:31:37 PM UTC-7, James Rau wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 13:05:40 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > >Prisoner of Azkaban Spoilers:
> > >
> > >1
> > >2
> > >3
> > >4
> > >5
> > >6
> > >7
> > >8
> > >9
> > >0
> > >
> > >1
> > >2
> > >3
> > >4
> > >5
> > >6
> > >7
> > >8
> > >9
> > >0
> > >The movie:
> > >
> > >After blowing up his aunt, Harry panics and runs away. As he is resting after his flight, he sees a large black dog, and the dog growls at him! Later, he learns that the dog is his Godfather Sirius Black, who seeks to protect Harry Potter. Why then does Sirius growl at Harry?
> >
> > Because Sirius is still on the lam at this point and doesn't want to
> > place Harry in more danger than he already is?
>
> I don't see anyone suspecting that a random dog of being an escaped convict just because it fails to growl!

Sherlock Holmes has taught us to take notice of the
dog that does not bark. "That was the curious incident."

Kevin R
James Rau
2016-09-09 00:11:23 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 16:58:00 -0700 (PDT), Kevrob <***@my-deja.com>
wrote:

>On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 5:39:04 PM UTC-4, TB wrote:
>> On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 1:31:37 PM UTC-7, James Rau wrote:
>> > On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 13:05:40 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com wrote:
>> >
>> > >Prisoner of Azkaban Spoilers:
>> > >
>> > >1
>> > >2
>> > >3
>> > >4
>> > >5
>> > >6
>> > >7
>> > >8
>> > >9
>> > >0
>> > >
>> > >1
>> > >2
>> > >3
>> > >4
>> > >5
>> > >6
>> > >7
>> > >8
>> > >9
>> > >0
>> > >The movie:
>> > >
>> > >After blowing up his aunt, Harry panics and runs away. As he is resting after his flight, he sees a large black dog, and the dog growls at him! Later, he learns that the dog is his Godfather Sirius Black, who seeks to protect Harry Potter. Why then does Sirius growl at Harry?
>> >
>> > Because Sirius is still on the lam at this point and doesn't want to
>> > place Harry in more danger than he already is?
>>
>> I don't see anyone suspecting that a random dog of being an escaped convict just because it fails to growl!
>
>Sherlock Holmes has taught us to take notice of the
>dog that does not bark. "That was the curious incident."
>
This makes the most sense within the context of that particular scene.
Would Harry have gotten onto the Knight Bus had Sirius come up to him,
tail wagging and licking his hands? Hell no! He's trying to scare
Harry into getting the hell out of there (for his own good).

James Rau
Robert Carnegie
2016-09-09 21:01:03 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Thursday, 8 September 2016 21:05:42 UTC+1, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> Prisoner of Azkaban Spoilers:
>
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 6
> 7
> 8
> 9
> 0
>
> 1
> 2
> 3
> 4
> 5
> 6
> 7
> 8
> 9
> 0
> The movie:
>
> After blowing up his aunt, Harry panics and runs away. As he is resting after his flight, he sees a large black dog, and the dog growls at him! Later, he learns that the dog is his Godfather Sirius Black, who seeks to protect Harry Potter. Why then does Sirius growl at Harry?

Maybe Sirius doesn't realise that Harry doesn't
understand Poodletongue.

Also, Sirius is recently escaped from Azkaban
and in a violent state of mind. He hasn't really
calmed down much by the time he confronts Lupin...
having said that, is it just me who thought they
were a couple, before and since? Lupin being
a male teacher at Hogwarts, if anyone has not
read the books but is following our discussion
anyway.
David DeLaney
2016-09-11 09:33:38 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 2016-09-09, Robert Carnegie <***@excite.com> wrote:
> having said that, is it just me who thought they
> were a couple, before and since?

Oh, believe you me, it is VERY far from being just you.

Dave, try checking archiveofourown or fanfiction.net, but NOT WHILE AT WORK
--
\/David DeLaney posting thru EarthLink - "It's not the pot that grows the flower
It's not the clock that slows the hour The definition's plain for anyone to see
Love is all it takes to make a family" - R&P. VISUALIZE HAPPYNET VRbeable<BLINK>
website on VIC is down, probably for good - oh well/ I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
David Johnston
2016-09-11 17:03:03 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 9/9/2016 3:01 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 September 2016 21:05:42 UTC+1, ***@gmail.com wrote:
>> Prisoner of Azkaban Spoilers:
>>
>> 1
>> 2
>> 3
>> 4
>> 5
>> 6
>> 7
>> 8
>> 9
>> 0
>>
>> 1
>> 2
>> 3
>> 4
>> 5
>> 6
>> 7
>> 8
>> 9
>> 0
>> The movie:
>>
>> After blowing up his aunt, Harry panics and runs away. As he is resting after his flight, he sees a large black dog, and the dog growls at him! Later, he learns that the dog is his Godfather Sirius Black, who seeks to protect Harry Potter. Why then does Sirius growl at Harry?
>
> Maybe Sirius doesn't realise that Harry doesn't
> understand Poodletongue.
>
> Also, Sirius is recently escaped from Azkaban
> and in a violent state of mind.

I'm not going to bother to reread, but I had the impression that Sirius
was trying to scare Harry away from some actual danger. If Harry missed
the buss he was unprotected.

He hasn't really
> calmed down much by the time he confronts Lupin...
> having said that, is it just me who thought they
> were a couple, before and since? Lupin being
> a male teacher at Hogwarts, if anyone has not
> read the books but is following our discussion
> anyway.
>
Michael F. Stemper
2016-09-11 22:02:14 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 2016-09-09 16:01, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 September 2016 21:05:42 UTC+1, ***@gmail.com wrote:
>> Prisoner of Azkaban Spoilers:
>>
>> 1
>> 2
>> 3
>> 4
>> 5
>> 6
>> 7
>> 8
>> 9
>> 0
>>
>> 1
>> 2
>> 3
>> 4
>> 5
>> 6
>> 7
>> 8
>> 9
>> 0
>> The movie:
>>
>> After blowing up his aunt, Harry panics and runs away. As he is resting after his flight, he sees a large black dog, and the dog growls at him! Later, he learns that the dog is his Godfather Sirius Black, who seeks to protect Harry Potter. Why then does Sirius growl at Harry?
>
> Maybe Sirius doesn't realise that Harry doesn't
> understand Poodletongue.
>
> Also, Sirius is recently escaped from Azkaban
> and in a violent state of mind. He hasn't really
> calmed down much by the time he confronts Lupin...
> having said that, is it just me who thought they
> were a couple, before and since?

Well, in the film, when Snape confronts them at the Shrieking
Shack, he says (roughly) "Listen to you two, arguing like an
old married couple."

On the other hand, Lupin *did* end up with Tonks, who seemed hot
from the time she first appeared in the books (i.e., before I ever
saw her on screen).


--
Michael F. Stemper
The FAQ for rec.arts.sf.written is at:
http://leepers.us/evelyn/faqs/sf-written
Please read it before posting.
h***@student.dodea.edu
2018-06-12 06:51:25 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
He could not reveal his true identity. And he is a dog anyway, maybe he was trying to communicate and could not without sounding ferocious.
Loading...