[via Tor.com] 2017 Hugo Finalists announced
2017-04-04 19:42:50 UTC
[Via Tor.com]
http://www.tor.com/2017/04/04/2017-hugo-award-finalists-announced/

Best Novel (2078 ballots)

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders (Tor Books / Titan Books)
A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton / Harper Voyager US)
Death’s End by Cixin Liu (Tor Books / Head of Zeus)
Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (Solaris Books)
The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin (Orbit Books)
Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer (Tor Books)

Best Novella (1410 ballots)

The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle (Tor.com Publishing)
The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe by Kij Johnson (Tor.com Publishing)
Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire (Tor.com Publishing)
Penric and the Shaman by Lois McMaster Bujold (Spectrum Literary Agency)
A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson (Tor.com Publishing)
This Census-Taker by China Miéville (Del Rey / Picador)

Best Novelette (1097 ballots)

Alien Stripper Boned From Behind By The T-Rex by Stix Hiscock (self-published)
“The Art of Space Travel” by Nina Allan (Tor.com, July 2016)
“The Jewel and Her Lapidary” by Fran Wilde (Tor.com Publishing, May 2016)
“The Tomato Thief” by Ursula Vernon (Apex Magazine, January 2016)
“Touring with the Alien” by Carolyn Ives Gilman (Clarkesworld Magazine, April 2016)
“You’ll Surely Drown Here If You Stay” by Alyssa Wong (Uncanny Magazine, May 2016)

Best Short Story (1275 ballots)

“The City Born Great” by N. K. Jemisin (Tor.com, September 2016)
“A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers” by Alyssa Wong (Tor.com, March 2016)
“Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies” by Brooke Bolander (Uncanny Magazine, November 2016)
“Seasons of Glass and Iron” by Amal El-Mohtar (The Starlit Wood: New Fairy Tales, Saga Press)
“That Game We Played During the War” by Carrie Vaughn (Tor.com, March 2016)
“An Unimaginable Light” by John C. Wright (God, Robot, Castalia House)

Best Related Work (1122 ballots)

The Geek Feminist Revolution by Kameron Hurley (Tor Books)
The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher (Blue Rider Press)
Traveler of Worlds: Conversations with Robert Silverberg by Robert Silverberg and Alvaro Zinos-Amaro (Fairwood)
The View From the Cheap Seats by Neil Gaiman (William Morrow / Harper Collins)
“The Women of Harry Potter” posts by Sarah Gailey (Tor.com)
Words Are My Matter: Writings About Life and Books, 2000-2016 by Ursula K. Le Guin (Small Beer)

Best Graphic Story (842 ballots)

Black Panther, Volume 1: A Nation Under Our Feet, written by Ta-Nehisi Coates, illustrated by Brian Stelfreeze (Marvel)
Monstress, Volume 1: Awakening, written by Marjorie Liu, illustrated by Sana Takeda (Image)
Ms. Marvel, Volume 5: Super Famous, written by G. Willow Wilson, illustrated by Takeshi Miyazawa (Marvel)
Paper Girls, Volume 1, written by Brian K. Vaughan, illustrated by Cliff Chiang, colored by Matthew Wilson, lettered by Jared Fletcher (Image)
Saga, Volume 6, illustrated by Fiona Staples, written by Brian K. Vaughan, lettered by Fonografiks (Image)
The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man, written by Tom King, illustrated by Gabriel Hernandez Walta (Marvel)

Best Dramatic Presentation – Long Form (1733 ballots)

Arrival, screenplay by Eric Heisserer based on a short story by Ted Chiang, directed by Denis Villeneuve (21 Laps Entertainment/FilmNation Entertainment/Lava Bear Films)
Deadpool, screenplay by Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick, directed by Tim Miller (Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation/Marvel Entertainment/Kinberg Genre/The Donners’ Company/TSG Entertainment)
Ghostbusters, screenplay by Katie Dippold & Paul Feig, directed by Paul Feig (Columbia Pictures/LStar Capital/Village Roadshow Pictures/Pascal Pictures/Feigco Entertainment/Ghostcorps/The Montecito Picture Company)
Hidden Figures, screenplay by Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi, directed by Theodore Melfi (Fox 2000 Pictures/Chernin Entertainment/Levantine Films/TSG Entertainment)
Rogue One, screenplay by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy, directed by Gareth Edwards (Lucasfilm/Allison Shearmur Productions/Black Hangar Studios/Stereo D/Walt Disney Pictures)
Stranger Things, Season One, created by the Duffer Brothers (21 Laps Entertainment/Monkey Massacre)

Best Dramatic Presentation – Short Form (1159 ballots)

Black Mirror: “San Junipero”, written by Charlie Brooker, directed by Owen Harris (House of Tomorrow)
Doctor Who: “The Return of Doctor Mysterio”, written by Steven Moffat, directed by Ed Bazalgette (BBC Cymru Wales)
The Expanse: “Leviathan Wakes”, written by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, directed by Terry McDonough (SyFy)
Game of Thrones: “Battle of the Bastards”, written by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, directed by Miguel Sapochnik (HBO)
Game of Thrones: “The Door”, written by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, directed by Jack Bender (HBO)
Splendor & Misery [album], by Clipping (Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, Jonathan Snipes)

Best Editor – Short Form (951 ballots)

John Joseph Adams
Neil Clarke
Ellen Datlow
Jonathan Strahan
Lynne M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas
Sheila Williams

Best Editor – Long Form (752 ballots)

Vox Day
Sheila E. Gilbert
Liz Gorinsky
Devi Pillai
Miriam Weinberg
Navah Wolfe

Best Professional Artist (817 ballots)

Galen Dara
Julie Dillon
Chris McGrath
Victo Ngai
John Picacio
Sana Takeda

Best Semiprozine (857 ballots)

Beneath Ceaseless Skies, editor-in-chief and publisher Scott H. Andrews
Cirsova Heroic Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine, edited by P. Alexander
GigaNotoSaurus, edited by Rashida J. Smith
Strange Horizons, edited by Niall Harrison, Catherine Krahe, Vajra Chandrasekera, Vanessa Rose Phin, Li Chua, Aishwarya Subramanian, Tim Moore, Anaea Lay, and the Strange Horizons staff
Uncanny Magazine, edited by Lynne M. Thomas & Michael Damian Thomas, Michi Trota, Julia Rios, and podcast produced by Erika Ensign & Steven Schapansky
The Book Smugglers, edited by Ana Grilo and Thea James

Best Fanzine (610 ballots)

“Castalia House Blog”, edited by Jeffro Johnson
“Journey Planet”, edited by James Bacon, Chris Garcia, Esther MacCallum-Stewart, Helena Nash, Errick Nunnally, Pádraig Ó Méalóid, Chuck Serface, and Erin Underwood
“Lady Business”, edited by Clare, Ira, Jodie, KJ, Renay, and Susan
“nerds of a feather, flock together”, edited by The G, Vance Kotrla, and Joe Sherry
“Rocket Stack Rank”, edited by Greg Hullender and Eric Wong
“SF Bluestocking”, edited by Bridget McKinney

Best Fancast (690 ballots)

The Coode Street Podcast, presented by Gary K. Wolfe and Jonathan Strahan
Ditch Diggers, presented by Mur Lafferty and Matt Wallace
Fangirl Happy Hour, presented by Ana Grilo and Renay Williams
Galactic Suburbia, presented by Alisa Krasnostein, Alexandra Pierce and Tansy Rayner Roberts, produced by Andrew Finch
The Rageaholic, presented by RazörFist
Tea and Jeopardy, presented by Emma Newman with Peter Newman

Best Fan Writer (802 ballots)

Mike Glyer
Jeffro Johnson
Natalie Luhrs
Foz Meadows
Abigail Nussbaum
Chuck Tingle

Best Fan Artist (528 ballots)

Ninni Aalto
Alex Garner
Vesa Lehtimäki
Likhain (M. Sereno)
Spring Schoenhuth
Mansik Yang

Best Series (1393 votes)

The Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone (Tor Books)
The Expanse by James S.A. Corey (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
The October Daye Books by Seanan McGuire (DAW / Corsair)
The Peter Grant / Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch (Gollancz / Del Rey / DAW / Subterranean)
The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Del Rey / Harper Voyager UK)
The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold (Baen)

John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (937 ballots)

Sarah Gailey (1st year of eligibility)
J. Mulrooney (1st year of eligibility)
Malka Older (2nd year of eligibility)
Ada Palmer (1st year of eligibility)
Laurie Penny (2nd year of eligibility)
Kelly Robson (2nd year of eligibility)
Carl Fink
2017-04-04 19:50:55 UTC
Wow. 3 stories I've read, and 3 authors I like in that whole long list.
(Yes, I know it's the short list.) I'm so out of touch.
--
Carl Fink ***@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!
David Goldfarb
2017-04-05 02:16:03 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Wow. 3 stories I've read, and 3 authors I like in that whole long list.
(Yes, I know it's the short list.) I'm so out of touch.
For my part, I've already read five of the six novels, with the sixth
(_Death's End_) on my list. Ranking _Ninefox Gambit_, _The Obelisk Gate_,
_Too Like the Lightning_, and _A Closed and Common Orbit_ is going to
be a challenge. I do know that _All the Birds in the Sky_ is going
below those four (not to diss it, it's just less to my taste than
the others) and feel it very likely that the Liu will also. Although
I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised on that front.

This is not really the place for buzz anymore. If you want
recommendations, especially of recent stuff, I'd suggest you start
hanging out at file770.com.
--
David Goldfarb |"I suppose an idiot plot is better than
***@gmail.com | no plot at all."
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | -- Katie Schwarz
Lynn McGuire
2017-04-04 20:25:28 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
[Via Tor.com]
http://www.tor.com/2017/04/04/2017-hugo-award-finalists-announced/
Best Novel (2078 ballots)
All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders (Tor Books / Titan Books)
A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton / Harper Voyager US)
Death’s End by Cixin Liu (Tor Books / Head of Zeus)
Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (Solaris Books)
The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin (Orbit Books)
Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer (Tor Books)
Bummer, _We Are Legion_ by Dennis Taylor was passed on. I'll bet that they did not consider self published books.
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/

Lynn
Stephen Graham
2017-04-04 20:37:54 UTC
Bummer, _We Are Legion_ by Dennis Taylor was passed on. I'll bet that
they did not consider self published books.
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/
We haven't seen the long list of all works nominated. It might be on
that. On the other hand, as usual, if you want something to appear on
the list, become a supporting member of one of the qualifying WorldCons
and vote.
J. Clarke
2017-04-06 02:02:27 UTC
In article <***@mid.individual.net>, ***@speakeasy.net
says...
Post by Stephen Graham
Post by Lynn McGuire
Bummer, _We Are Legion_ by Dennis Taylor was passed on. I'll bet that
they did not consider self published books.
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/
We haven't seen the long list of all works nominated. It might be on
that. On the other hand, as usual, if you want something to appear on
the list, become a supporting member of one of the qualifying WorldCons
and vote.
One of the best novelette entries is self-published.

Out of all of that, all I have seen is some of the dramatic works and a
couple of the series.
Ahasuerus

(self-published)
David Goldfarb
2017-04-05 02:19:32 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Lynn McGuire
Bummer, _We Are Legion_ by Dennis Taylor was passed on. I'll bet
that they did not consider self published books.
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/
Best Novelette (1097 ballots)
Alien Stripper Boned From Behind By The T-Rex by Stix Hiscock
(self-published)
"Stix Hiscock" had the advantage that Ted Beale was looking for
something to use to troll. (Cf. Chuck Tingle last year.)
Dennis Taylor didn't.

_We Are Legion_ was (I'm assuming) perfectly eligible; it just
didn't reach a wide audience among Worldcon members.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-05 05:21:52 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Lynn McGuire
Bummer, _We Are Legion_ by Dennis Taylor was passed on. I'll bet
that they did not consider self published books.
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/
Best Novelette (1097 ballots)
Alien Stripper Boned From Behind By The T-Rex by Stix Hiscock
(self-published)
"Stix Hiscock" had the advantage that Ted Beale was looking for
something to use to troll. (Cf. Chuck Tingle last year.)
Dennis Taylor didn't.
Isn't this the first year where the rules changes were supposed to
render the various Puppies penis-less?

There is _nothing_ about that is *not* funny.

2017-04-05 13:21:11 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip]
Post by Lynn McGuire
Bummer, _We Are Legion_ by Dennis Taylor was passed on. I'll bet
that they did not consider self published books.
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680323/
Best Novelette (1097 ballots)
Alien Stripper Boned From Behind By The T-Rex by Stix Hiscock (self-published)
"Stix Hiscock" had the advantage that Ted Beale was looking for
something to use to troll. (Cf. Chuck Tingle last year.)
Dennis Taylor didn't.
Isn't this the first year where the rules changes were supposed to
render the various Puppies penis-less?
There is _nothing_ about that is *not* funny.
Hey, its got laser-equipped boobies and an average 4.5/5 rating on
Amazon.

What's not to like?

pt
Ahasuerus
2017-04-05 20:16:15 UTC
On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 10:45:04 PM UTC-4, David Goldfarb wrote:
[snip]
Post by David Goldfarb
_We Are Legion_ was (I'm assuming) perfectly eligible; it just
didn't reach a wide audience among Worldcon members.
I read the free excerpt available on Amazon some time ago.

The SF premise was potentially interesting. The execution was a bit
below the standard professional level, but it was serviceable.
Default User
2017-04-04 20:44:12 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Best Novel (2078 ballots)
A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers
The past several years I've been shut out having read the nominees, but I literally just finished this one. I read the final chapters last night.

Brian
Chris Buckley
2017-04-05 00:48:03 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
[Via Tor.com]
http://www.tor.com/2017/04/04/2017-hugo-award-finalists-announced/
Best Novel (2078 ballots)
All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders (Tor Books / Titan Books)
A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton / Harper Voyager US)
Death’s End by Cixin Liu (Tor Books / Head of Zeus)
Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (Solaris Books)
The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin (Orbit Books)
Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer (Tor Books)
I've read 4 of the novels. _Ninefox Gambit_ is the best of the four
(IMO) - Hugo quality in almost any year. _The Obelisk Gate_ is good,
but the first in the trilogy was better I thought. _Death's End_ is
the last book of a trilogy by a Chinese author that was quite
interesting in large part because of the heavy Chinese social and
historical influence - a very different outlook on motives. Highly
original ideas, but the prose takes some getting used to. I was
disappointed in the Chambers; the first in the series was a very
decent book; not award quality, but good. _A Closed and Common Orbit_
didn't really have anything interesting to say.
Post by Peter Trei
Best Series (1393 votes)
The Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone (Tor Books)
The Expanse by James S.A. Corey (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
The October Daye Books by Seanan McGuire (DAW / Corsair)
The Peter Grant / Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch (Gollancz / Del Rey / DAW / Subterranean)
The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Del Rey / Harper Voyager UK)
The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold (Baen)
I'm not sure what the criteria for series should be. I would expect Bujold
to win, but I would be happy with any of her, Gladstone or McGuire. Novik
I've read but don't think an award is deserved; the other two I haven't read.

Chris
Robert Bannister
2017-04-06 00:21:29 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
I thought it was interesting when it was comparing the different way a
human child and an AI learned things, but I agree, it didn't go much
beyond that. It was still an enjoyable novel.
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
Best Series (1393 votes)
The Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone (Tor Books)
The Expanse by James S.A. Corey (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
The October Daye Books by Seanan McGuire (DAW / Corsair)
The Peter Grant / Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch (Gollancz / Del Rey / DAW / Subterranean)
The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Del Rey / Harper Voyager UK)
The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold (Baen)
I'm not sure what the criteria for series should be. I would expect Bujold
to win, but I would be happy with any of her, Gladstone or McGuire. Novik
I've read but don't think an award is deserved; the other two I haven't read.
Chris
--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-06 16:32:59 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
Best Series (1393 votes)
The Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone (Tor Books)
The Expanse by James S.A. Corey (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
The October Daye Books by Seanan McGuire (DAW / Corsair)
The Peter Grant / Rivers of London series by Ben
Aaronovitch (Gollancz / Del Rey / DAW / Subterranean)
The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Del Rey / Harper
Voyager UK) The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold
(Baen)
I'm not sure what the criteria for series should be. I would
expect Bujold to win, but I would be happy with any of her,
Gladstone or McGuire. Novik I've read but don't think an award
is deserved; the other two I haven't read.
I'd certainly be happy with Bujold, but The Expanse is of equal
quality, if of more limited overall appeal (being hard sf by people
who have a clue, and being very, very dark).

2017-04-06 17:04:35 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
Best Series (1393 votes)
The Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone (Tor Books)
The Expanse by James S.A. Corey (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
The October Daye Books by Seanan McGuire (DAW / Corsair)
The Peter Grant / Rivers of London series by Ben
Aaronovitch (Gollancz / Del Rey / DAW / Subterranean)
The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Del Rey / Harper
Voyager UK) The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold
(Baen)
I'm not sure what the criteria for series should be. I would
expect Bujold to win, but I would be happy with any of her,
Gladstone or McGuire. Novik I've read but don't think an award
is deserved; the other two I haven't read.
I'd certainly be happy with Bujold, but The Expanse is of equal
quality, if of more limited overall appeal (being hard sf by people
who have a clue, and being very, very dark).
A bit off topic for rasfw, but...

Virtually every current SFF TV series I've seen lately qualifies as
'very, very dark'. While I'm not looking for laff-a-minute comedy, what
out there is 'fun' which I could watch, while waiting for 'People of
Earth' to return?

2017-04-06 17:13:07 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
They're dark both in content and cinematography, which is annoying
to older eyes :-)
Lynn McGuire
2017-04-06 20:47:58 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
I turned my tv contrast to "vivid" which helps these old eyes.

Lynn
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-06 17:56:44 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
Quite a lot of non-SFF TV shows do, too. It's the current trend.
But while that's apparently quite popular on TV, my impression is
that it's a smaller market in books than stuff with more upbeat
themes.
While I'm not looking for laff-a-minute
comedy, what out there is 'fun' which I could watch,
I dunno. Big Bang Theory has lost most of its shine. Last Man
Standing? But then, most television has _always_ sucked.
while
waiting for 'People of Earth' to return?
Season 2 has been confirmed, but I find no start date. Can't say I
think much of the parts about the humans, but the aliens are
hilarious enough to make up for it.

2017-04-06 18:47:56 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
While I'm not looking for laff-a-minute
comedy, what out there is 'fun' which I could watch,
I dunno. Big Bang Theory has lost most of its shine.
Did it _ever_ have shine? I found it juvenile and not
particularly funny.
Robert Carnegie
2017-04-06 20:00:20 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
Well, the good news may be the prospect of another
writers' strike :-)

_Doctor Who_ is coming around again, but each
episode tends to be a horror story with multiple
deaths and a top-up of nightmare fuel. Not every
time - but mostly.

I'm watching a lot of re-run series, which you
may have access to - _Star Trek: The Jumpsuit
Generation_, _Danger Mouse_, _Clangers_ - really.
The Doctor
2017-04-06 20:53:01 UTC
On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 12:33:01 PM UTC-4, Gutless Umbrella
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
DW still rocks!
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
God is dead! Yahweh lives! Jesus his only begotten Son is the Risen Saviour!!
Robert Carnegie
2017-04-06 21:14:43 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
Lately - yes, but Tiny Clanger has more musical
versatility. If not so many orchestra / "promenade"
concerts (I think just one).
-dsr-
2017-04-06 22:02:50 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
Supergirl is practically light-hearted.

I quite liked 'Travelers', which is on Netflix and a Canadian channel,
Showcase. It's actual SF, with three or four decent major twists. Time
travel in a mode reminiscent of Varley's Millenium. The first season
notably does not wrap up major mysteries, but the second season is
being produced.

Netflix also has the complete run of 'Limitless', which explores
superintelligence. The first couple of episodes are edgy thrillers, and
then it settles down into comedy/procedural.

-dsr-
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-06 22:10:56 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
In the same way that makes grown ups want to punch stupid teenagers
in the face, yeah. Couldn't stand more than about two episodes.
What an annoying bunch of whiners.

Juho Julkunen
2017-04-06 23:09:45 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
Best Series (1393 votes)
The Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone (Tor Books)
The Expanse by James S.A. Corey (Orbit US / Orbit UK)
The October Daye Books by Seanan McGuire (DAW / Corsair)
The Peter Grant / Rivers of London series by Ben
Aaronovitch (Gollancz / Del Rey / DAW / Subterranean)
The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik (Del Rey / Harper
Voyager UK) The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold
(Baen)
I'm not sure what the criteria for series should be. I would
expect Bujold to win, but I would be happy with any of her,
Gladstone or McGuire. Novik I've read but don't think an award
is deserved; the other two I haven't read.
I'd certainly be happy with Bujold, but The Expanse is of equal
quality, if of more limited overall appeal (being hard sf by people
who have a clue, and being very, very dark).
I haven't found it that dark. I don't really do dark, but The Expanse
has suited me just fine so far.
Juho Julkunen
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-06 23:12:47 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
How far have you gotten into the series? The last two books,
between them

SPOILERS. YOU WERE WARNED.

has a body count of, what, over ten billion? That's not dark?

Juho Julkunen
2017-04-07 01:41:27 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
Not that far, yet. I kinda stalled after the second novel, rather
disappointed that it was pretty much a repeat of the first one, to the
point that characters commented on it. Admittedly, it does eventually
set up more interesting potential for the third one. I expect I'll get
there, eventually. I may change my view then.

I don't find bodycount in itself makes a work dark, it's more the
presentation and what the author focuses on, to me.
Juho Julkunen
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-07 02:31:55 UTC
Post by Chris Buckley
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
Even the first one has

SPOILERS. YOU WERE WARNED.

Eros. If that's no dark, you are one sick puppy.
Post by Juho Julkunen
I kinda stalled after the second novel,
rather disappointed that it was pretty much a repeat of the
first one, to the point that characters commented on it.
Admittedly, it does eventually set up more interesting potential
for the third one. I expect I'll get there, eventually. I may
change my view then.
The third one it gets . . . weird.
Post by Juho Julkunen
I don't find bodycount in itself makes a work dark, it's more
the presentation and what the author focuses on, to me.
So the genocidal experiment on Eros was puppies and sunshine?

Juho Julkunen
2017-04-07 18:11:21 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
I'd certainly be happy with Bujold, but The Expanse is of
equal quality, if of more limited overall appeal (being hard
sf by people who have a clue, and being very, very dark).
I haven't found it that dark. I don't really do dark, but The
Expanse has suited me just fine so far.
How far have you gotten into the series? The last two books,
between them
Not that far, yet.
Even the first one has
SPOILERS. YOU WERE WARNED.
Eros. If that's no dark, you are one sick puppy.
Eros was nasty business, yeah. But large-scale death and disaster is
sufficiently common in SF that I didn't think it pushed it to "very,
very dark" territory. Being deliberate corporate evil rather than, say,
a natural disaster does move it further towards the dark, I suppose.

It's possible that I have gotten a little jaded over the years.
Juho Julkunen
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-07 22:34:46 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
It's possible that I have gotten a little jaded over the years.
I think you might be onto something there.

Moriarty
2017-04-05 03:34:13 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
[Via Tor.com]
http://www.tor.com/2017/04/04/2017-hugo-award-finalists-announced/
<snips>
Post by Peter Trei
Best Novelette (1097 ballots)
Alien Stripper Boned From Behind By The T-Rex by Stix Hiscock (self-published)
Egads! The gay dinosaur porn genre is a growth market!
Post by Peter Trei
Best Short Story (1275 ballots)
“An Unimaginable Light” by John C. Wright (God, Robot, Castalia House)
Best Editor – Long Form (752 ballots)
Vox Day
Best Fanzine (610 ballots)
“Castalia House Blog”, edited by Jeffro Johnson
Best Fan Writer (802 ballots)
Chuck Tingle
I'm guessing all those are Puppy entries? Did I miss any?

-Moriarty
Robert Woodward
2017-04-05 05:14:24 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Best Short Story (1275 ballots)
“An Unimaginable Light” by John C. Wright (God, Robot, Castalia House)
Best Editor – Long Form (752 ballots)
Vox Day
Best Fanzine (610 ballots)
“Castalia House Blog”, edited by Jeffro Johnson
Best Fan Writer (802 ballots)
Chuck Tingle
I'm guessing all those are Puppy entries? Did I miss any?
-Moriarty
Actually, Tingle was not a Rabid Puppy recommendation. BTW, the diseased
one, for what ever reason, listed Mieville's novela and Niel Gaiman's
_The View from the Cheap Seats_. There were other recommendation as well
that made the final ballot (he generally recommended only 1 entry per
category and I think the only ones he missed out were Best Novel, Best
Editor-Short form, Best Dramatic Presentation-Short form, and
Professional artist).
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-04-05 05:22:30 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Best Novelette (1097 ballots)
Alien Stripper Boned From Behind By The T-Rex by Stix
Hiscock (self-p
ublished)
Egads! The gay dinosaur porn genre is a growth market!
That's what she said. Or he said, as the case may be.