1960s Interstellar Spaceship
TB
2014-12-16 22:50:10 UTC
Your assignment: Design, using just technology available in 1963, an interstellar spaceship which would be able to reach Proxima Centauri in 100 years. How would you do so?
David Johnston
2014-12-16 22:52:47 UTC
I would tell my teacher not to waste my time with trick questions.
Joseph Nebus
2014-12-17 07:19:10 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by TB
Your assignment: Design, using just technology available in 1963, an interstellar spaceship which would be able to reach Proxima Centauri in 100 years. How would you do so?
I would tell my teacher not to waste my time with trick questions.
But your response indicates you might think a science fiction
show could be based on an implausible premise, and Tim Breuning can't
accept *that*.
--
Joseph Nebus
Math: Reading the Comics: Pictures Gone Again? http://wp.me/p1RYhY-FN
--------------------------------------------------------+---------------------
David Johnston
Of course the show's implausible premise isn't actually that one.
Quadibloc
2014-12-17 23:35:38 UTC
Post by Joseph Nebus
But your response indicates you might think a science fiction
show could be based on an implausible premise, and Tim Breuning can't
accept *that*.
Now, now. That certainly *is* an entirely possible event. One example is a
secret government project giving the capability of time travel... in 1968!

It involved an infinitely long tunnel made up of elliptical rings. The pilot
episode had a Senator complaining about how the project was over budget... it
certainly _would_ be, since even if those elliptical rings could have been made
at a cost of one cent each, an infinite number of them... would have cost an
_infinite_ amount of money.

More than the GNP of all the planets in the Universe!

So even on this *minor* point, let alone causality, let alone the technological
level of the time, it went far outside plausibility. That didn't stop it from
being sort of entertaining.

John Savard
lal_truckee
2014-12-16 23:12:36 UTC
Post by TB
Your assignment: Design, using just technology available in 1963, an interstellar spaceship which would be able to reach Proxima Centauri in 100 years. How would you do so?
Clarifying the assignment: Does the ship have support life for the
duration? Human life? Does the ship have to stop? If so, does plowing
into P. Centauri count as stopping?

Real interstellar diaspora will be well beyond 3,000CE, by fleets of
O'Neil colonies becoming dissatisfied by Sol's physical or political or
social environment and going somewhere else, slowly.

The AI's may insist.
TB
The ship has to safely transport several hundred people to Proxima Centauri.
Mike Dworetsky
2014-12-17 09:07:16 UTC
Post by TB
Post by lal_truckee
Post by TB
Your assignment: Design, using just technology available in 1963,
an interstellar spaceship which would be able to reach Proxima
Centauri in 100 years. How would you do so?
Build a gigantic nuclear bomb-thrower Orion spacecraft.
Post by TB
Post by lal_truckee
Clarifying the assignment: Does the ship have support life for the
duration? Human life? Does the ship have to stop? If so, does plowing
into P. Centauri count as stopping?
The ship has to safely transport several hundred people to Proxima Centauri.
If the trip will take 100 years it makes no sense to transport 100s of
people because they will all die of old age before arriving, while consuming
a lot of resources. If the large number is needed in order to have an
adequate amount of people to set up a colony on arrival, then take along
frozen fertilized eggs of c. 1000 persons from Earth, and have the crew
large enough to (a) reproduce over three or four generations, (b) have all
the skills necessary to maintain the ship, (c) have the ability to teach
their children these skills and human history arts, and science and be able
to pass this on, and (d) be able to thaw and implant the eggs in the last 20
years of so of the voyage (women crew of the third generation will spend
most of their time pregnant and raising brats to adulthood, to have enough
colonists).

I'm doubtful that such a voyage could be done in only a hundred years. Most
of the trip would have to be in coasting mode.
--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)
Quadibloc
2014-12-17 23:47:56 UTC
Post by Mike Dworetsky
If the trip will take 100 years it makes no sense to transport 100s of
people because they will all die of old age before arriving, while consuming
a lot of resources. If the large number is needed in order to have an
adequate amount of people to set up a colony on arrival, then take along
frozen fertilized eggs of c. 1000 persons from Earth, and have the crew
large enough to (a) reproduce over three or four generations, (b) have all
the skills necessary to maintain the ship, (c) have the ability to teach
their children these skills and human history arts, and science and be able
to pass this on, and (d) be able to thaw and implant the eggs in the last 20
years of so of the voyage (women crew of the third generation will spend
most of their time pregnant and raising brats to adulthood, to have enough
colonists).
While implanting embryos into women to have them bring them to term is
technology we have now, that was not technology available in 1963.

John Savard
Lynn McGuire
2014-12-17 00:01:55 UTC
Post by TB
Your assignment: Design, using just technology available in 1963, an interstellar spaceship which would be able to reach Proxima Centauri in 100 years. How would you do so?
Ah, you watched the Ascension mini series. Did you like it?

First, I would go talk to Jerry Pournelle about the "Michael".

Then I would figure out how to recycle everything (water, food, energy, nuclear bomb propulsion) without killing everyone 30 days
out. Joe Haldeman killed most everyone 40 years out in his _Old Twentieth_ book:
http://www.amazon.com/Old-Twentieth-Joe-Haldeman/dp/0441013430/

Lynn
Cryptoengineer
2014-12-17 04:23:54 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by TB
Your assignment: Design, using just technology available in 1963, an
interstellar spaceship which would be able to reach Proxima Centauri
in 100 years. How would you do so?
Ah, you watched the Ascension mini series. Did you like it?
No one's seen the whole series yet. SyFy is dumping episodes on
successive nights - rumor is that the management has 'lost confidence'
in the series, and is trying to get eyeballs before the word gets out.

My wife and I baled after the first hour; it seemed to be 'Peyton Place
IN SPACE!'. There were plot and setting 'wtf?s' galore, which the Wikipedia
page partly explains (with Major Plot Spoilers).

pt
William December Starr
2014-12-21 04:55:34 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
My wife and I baled after the first hour; it seemed to be 'Peyton
Place IN SPACE!'. There were plot and setting 'wtf?s' galore,
which the Wikipedia page partly explains (with Major Plot
Spoilers).
[checks the wikipedia entry] Yup, that was my first guess when I
heard about the show's premise a few months back.

I think I recall somebody -- I'm pretty sure it was Bruce I'm Not
*Quite* As Clever As I Think I Am Sterling -- having that $plot as
an element in a novella a while back. Not in a position to look it
up at the moment though.

-- wds
Shawn Wilson
2014-12-17 17:20:25 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Ah, you watched the Ascension mini series. Did you like it?
Well, I have not watched Ascension, but reading some of the synopsis for episode 1, my guess for the ultimate twist is...

They never actually left Earth.
lal_truckee
2014-12-17 18:18:36 UTC
Aha! It's "Wool" without actually buying the rights...
Shawn Wilson
2014-12-18 17:33:59 UTC
Oh, wow, I WAS RIGHT! On the other hand, it turns out that twist was revealed in episode 2. If I had just read a little further in the Wiki synopsis I would have seen it.
JRStern
2014-12-17 03:00:25 UTC
On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 14:50:10 -0800 (PST), TB
Post by TB
Your assignment: Design, using just technology available in 1963, an interstellar spaceship which would be able to reach Proxima Centauri in 100 years. How would you do so?
Earth technology in 1963?

Can I use the Apollo technology that wasn't quite available yet?

Can I project possible technologies like thorium reactors that might
have been possible then and yet have still not been built today?

We really don't know the answer yet today, if we could magically lift
10,000 tons into orbit and then magically propel it to Proxima
Centauri and any speed up to 1% the speed of light, we're not at all
sure how to recycle and keep a biosphere alive on a trip like that,
even if we had enough centripetal force to serve as gravity and remove
those problems. Enough expendables to allow one person or a thousand,
to get to Proxima Centauri, where nothing much may exist to land on
anyway? And some way to slow down at the other end?

Dunno.

Dunno that we could do it today, either.

Maybe today just barely for a couple of trillion dollars though we
wouldn't really know for 50 to 100 years.

J.
Quadibloc
2014-12-17 05:23:26 UTC
Post by JRStern
we're not at all
sure how to recycle and keep a biosphere alive on a trip like that,
This is true. But given the Earth as an existence proof, there is a solution.

Basically, if one makes a space habitat that covers *several acres*, planted
with a diversity of life, rather than trying to recycle stuff in a tiny capsule
with machines, there is a reasonable chance of making it work.

Getting the mix right will still require fairly sophisticated ecological
knowledge, I admit, and the failure of projects like "Biosphere II" might seem
to indicate that we don't have this knowledge. However, if one does not try to
achieve a high ratio of humans and animals to plant life and land area, but is
content having a *lot* of wilderness and ocean producing oxygen for the crew,
it might be easier to manage.

Basically, don't try to do better than Earth.

John Savard
Quadibloc
2014-12-17 05:17:19 UTC
Post by TB
Your assignment: Design, using just technology available in 1963, an
interstellar spaceship which would be able to reach Proxima Centauri in 100
years. How would you do so?
Well, they had hydrogen bombs in 1963. So we'll assume a pusher-plate design,
and no antimatter.

In 1963, it was possible to reach LEO, using Atlas rockets. But a Mercury
capsule could not dock with an orbital space station to transfer personnel.
However, presumably people in 1963 could design bigger rockets.

Still, from what I vaguely remember in reading about interstellar travel, 0.1c
is something that requires highly advanced technology, while 0.01c is
presumably doable with foreseeable technology.

So that involves getting to Proxima Centauri in *800* years. And if one starts
work in 1963, it's not going to launch by 1969, and so some better technology
will be available.

John Savard
JRStern
2014-12-17 05:36:28 UTC
On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 21:17:19 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
Post by Quadibloc
Post by TB
[...]
Space, it turns out, is hard.

We might settle the solar system slowly over the next thousands of
years with nothing better than chemical rockets and a lot of patience.

Even launching from the Oort cloud saving a fair amount of distance
and energy, and assuming we master the biology of recycling, and even
beaming it microwave or laser energy for half or more of the distance,
it might *still* be highly challenging unless we finally master
fusion, and I'm no longer very optimistic about that even on a 10,000
year basis. Or something even more advanced and less likely.

J.
William George Ferguson
2014-12-17 06:48:56 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by TB
[...]
I'm not going to argue that it is impossible with 1963 technology, plus
reasonable developments, which we know are reasonable because, duh, they
occurred. However, to give some perspective, to reach the comet, the
Rosetta had to make multiple slingshot orbits, to get its speed up to
40,000 mph relative to Earth. To reach 0.01C would require acheiving a
speed of just under 7,000,000 mph. The difference between 40 thousand and
7 million is rather large.
--
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
(Bene Gesserit)
JRStern
2014-12-17 17:14:40 UTC
On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 23:48:56 -0700, William George Ferguson
Post by William George Ferguson
Post by Quadibloc
Post by TB
[...]
Yah. The slingshot trick is cute, and it works as far as it works,
and it's virtually free except in time consumed, but it won't give you
7,000,000 mph ever.

So let's see, if you really wanted to try to get to 0.01c with 1963
technology, you might spend the first 1,000 years launching fuel
packages along the planned path, except that you need them to get up
near 0.005c at least, let's say, and that's a problem in itself as
well! Still, might make a suitably hydrogen-punk story around it.

Niven's moties used giant lasers and a light sail, I've never seen
anyone run a real analysis on that, and you probably have to set them
up in vacuum.

J.
Greg Goss
2014-12-17 18:34:00 UTC
Post by JRStern
Niven's moties used giant lasers and a light sail, I've never seen
anyone run a real analysis on that, and you probably have to set them
up in vacuum.
Forward and a few others have used a similar idea. Forward's even
came up with a way to brake with a light sail and home-based lasers,
though I forget the details.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocheworld#Forward.27s_Light-Sail_Propulsion_System
JRStern
2014-12-17 19:33:43 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by JRStern
Niven's moties used giant lasers and a light sail, I've never seen
anyone run a real analysis on that, and you probably have to set them
up in vacuum.
Forward and a few others have used a similar idea. Forward's even
came up with a way to brake with a light sail and home-based lasers,
though I forget the details.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocheworld#Forward.27s_Light-Sail_Propulsion_System
Well, solar-sailing into the sun is a powerful brake, though of course
you don't want to get too close.

You circle the sun or some other hole to catch the home laser for
braking, but you're a long way away at that point so delivering energy
is at its most difficult.

Niven suggested braking could be done in other ways too, reverse
slingshot will work but isn't efficient for those velocities.

J.
Greg Goss
2014-12-17 21:07:04 UTC
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
Post by JRStern
Niven's moties used giant lasers and a light sail, I've never seen
anyone run a real analysis on that, and you probably have to set them
up in vacuum.
Forward and a few others have used a similar idea. Forward's even
came up with a way to brake with a light sail and home-based lasers,
though I forget the details.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocheworld#Forward.27s_Light-Sail_Propulsion_System
Well, solar-sailing into the sun is a powerful brake, though of course
you don't want to get too close.
You circle the sun or some other hole to catch the home laser for
braking, but you're a long way away at that point so delivering energy
is at its most difficult.
Niven suggested braking could be done in other ways too, reverse
slingshot will work but isn't efficient for those velocities.
Forward detached the biggest part of the sail and used it to focus the
laser light back to the smaller part of the sail. Sure the big part
gets a big accelleration and departs in a hurry, but what's another
light year if you're already many light years from home.
JRStern
2014-12-17 22:44:48 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
Post by JRStern
[...]
Isn't that a little like blowing into the sails to make the ship go
faster?

J.
Quadibloc
2014-12-17 23:39:43 UTC
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
Forward detached the biggest part of the sail and used it to focus the
laser light back to the smaller part of the sail. Sure the big part
gets a big accelleration and departs in a hurry, but what's another
light year if you're already many light years from home.
Isn't that a little like blowing into the sails to make the ship go
faster?
That specific objection stops applying if you *detach* that part of the sail.

John Savard
JRStern
2014-12-17 23:54:27 UTC
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 15:39:43 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
Post by Quadibloc
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
Forward detached the biggest part of the sail and used it to focus the
laser light back to the smaller part of the sail. Sure the big part
gets a big accelleration and departs in a hurry, but what's another
light year if you're already many light years from home.
Isn't that a little like blowing into the sails to make the ship go
faster?
That specific objection stops applying if you *detach* that part of the sail.
It's not a direct analogy.

But the unanchored and imperfections of the system, already weak and
marginal at distance, seem to make it not much more effective.

J.
John Savard
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2014-12-18 03:51:26 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
Forward detached the biggest part of the sail and used it to focus the
laser light back to the smaller part of the sail. Sure the big part
gets a big accelleration and departs in a hurry, but what's another
light year if you're already many light years from home.
Isn't that a little like blowing into the sails to make the ship go
faster?
That specific objection stops applying if you *detach* that part of the sail.
It's not a direct analogy.
But the unanchored and imperfections of the system, already weak and
marginal at distance, seem to make it not much more effective.
It's not weak and marginal if you've got the lasers focused well, which
was what was postulated.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
JRStern
2014-12-18 04:55:46 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
Forward detached the biggest part of the sail and used it to focus the
laser light back to the smaller part of the sail. Sure the big part
gets a big accelleration and departs in a hurry, but what's another
light year if you're already many light years from home.
Isn't that a little like blowing into the sails to make the ship go
faster?
That specific objection stops applying if you *detach* that part of the sail.
It's not a direct analogy.
But the unanchored and imperfections of the system, already weak and
marginal at distance, seem to make it not much more effective.
It's not weak and marginal if you've got the lasers focused well, which
was what was postulated.
Nobody postulates a laser beam not spreading over light-years.

If we're talking about using this to slow down, we're light-years
away.

A sail to catch any significant energy from that is going to be
enormous, in "Mote" it's nearly the size of (Earth's?) moon, and still
wasn't going to depend on lasers to brake. IIRC that was 35 light
years, but even at one it's a huge problem.

I don't have any good idea of the physics involved, but it's highly
counterintuitive (for me) to think a floating film mirror like that
could catch and redirect even that diffuse energy to much effect.

J.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2014-12-18 12:41:53 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
Forward detached the biggest part of the sail and used it to focus the
laser light back to the smaller part of the sail. Sure the big part
gets a big accelleration and departs in a hurry, but what's another
light year if you're already many light years from home.
Isn't that a little like blowing into the sails to make the ship go
faster?
That specific objection stops applying if you *detach* that part of the sail.
It's not a direct analogy.
But the unanchored and imperfections of the system, already weak and
marginal at distance, seem to make it not much more effective.
It's not weak and marginal if you've got the lasers focused well, which
was what was postulated.
Nobody postulates a laser beam not spreading over light-years.
Considering we were discussing Robert Forward's solution in _Flight of
the Dragonfly_/_Rocheworld_? We did, in fact. Or rather, it spreads, but
*REAL* slowly as it was focused/collimated by a gigantic lens array.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
JRStern
2014-12-18 17:53:49 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
[...]
I don't think lenses can do that much, quantum uncertainty bloats the
very photons over light-year distances.

J.
Mike Dworetsky
2014-12-18 21:22:53 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
[...]
It's a classic problem of diffraction, so if you make the laser back in the
solar system large enough (using a really large lens [Fresnel lens] or
mirror) the collimated beam can be made narrow enough to make the braking
system of Forward work. Nothing to do with Heisenberg uncertainty as such.
The outer sail detaches and reflects light back onto the central reflector,
and while it accelerates pretty fast, as long as everything maintains
alignment the reflected light will cause the remaining sail to slow down.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2014-12-18 03:49:48 UTC
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
Post by JRStern
[...]
Not at all. The big piece of the sail catches the laser light and
focuses vastly more light on the smaller piece of the sail than that
sail is getting from the lasers. THis makes it effectively slow down,
until the big piece gets far enough away that it can't focus effectively.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Greg Goss
2014-12-18 07:08:55 UTC
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
Post by JRStern
Post by Greg Goss
Post by JRStern
[...]
The big part of the sail was no longer attached to the ship. But it
still feels wrong. If the big sail is receiving the same thrust as
the smaller sail (more, because the small sail is also getting bad
thrust from the direct beam) and weighs a thousand times less than the
ship, doesn't it accelerate away to the point where it tears itself
apart against occasional hydrogen atoms in an hour or so?
Greg Goss
2014-12-18 07:09:43 UTC
Post by JRStern
Isn't that a little like blowing into the sails to make the ship go
faster?
Mythbusters found that blowing into the sail worked. I didn't follow
their explanation on why.
Quadibloc
2014-12-18 08:27:29 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by JRStern
Isn't that a little like blowing into the sails to make the ship go
faster?
Mythbusters found that blowing into the sail worked. I didn't follow
their explanation on why.
Blowing in the sail doesn't work, but inhaling in order to blow into the sail
does.

Ah, that's not quite right. While the impact of the air hitting the sail
equals, and is cancelled out, by the reaction to your blowing on the sail in
your body... the air then is reflected from the sail, and _that_ creates
momentum.

Basically, you would have had the same effect if you didn't blow on the sail,
but instead just blew into the air, facing the other way. Just like a rocket's
reaction chamber transfers momentum to the rocket precisely because it is open
on one side, so the forces don't all cancel each other out.

John Savard
Greg Goss
2014-12-18 16:40:57 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Greg Goss
Post by JRStern
[...]
What you describe is how I understand the theory. They (using fans,
not breath) came closer to the Wile E Coyote version. They explained
it, but the explanation didn't make sense to me.
nuny@bid.nes
2014-12-17 19:50:45 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by JRStern
Niven's moties used giant lasers and a light sail, I've never seen
anyone run a real analysis on that, and you probably have to set them
up in vacuum.
Forward and a few others have used a similar idea. Forward's even
came up with a way to brake with a light sail and home-based lasers,
though I forget the details.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocheworld#Forward.27s_Light-Sail_Propulsion_System
Thanks for reminding me.

For the same story[ies], Forward invented a version of boosterspice called "No-Die" which simultaneously slows aging and makes you stupid. (Relevant to the "stupidity virus" thread, but not what I was thinking of.)

Mark L. Fergerson
lal_truckee
2014-12-17 21:37:08 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Forward invented a version of boosterspice called "No-Die" which simultaneously slows aging and makes you stupid.
This might actually be a real item - how else to explain the diminishing
capacity for thought as our average life span increases?
Particularly, how else do you explain TV shows like "Ascension?"
J. Clarke
2014-12-17 22:05:45 UTC
Post by lal_truckee
Post by ***@bid.nes
Forward invented a version of boosterspice called "No-Die" which simultaneously slows aging and makes you stupid.
This might actually be a real item - how else to explain the diminishing
capacity for thought as our average life span increases?
Particularly, how else do you explain TV shows like "Ascension?"
Dunno if you've been over to the "Interstellar" board on IMDB but there
are several people insisting that Kip Thorne is a "dumbass" or the like
because his depiction of black holes in the movie does not coincide with
what they have seen on "The Discovery Channel".
nuny@bid.nes
2014-12-18 21:38:04 UTC
Post by lal_truckee
Post by ***@bid.nes
Forward invented a version of boosterspice called "No-Die" which
simultaneously slows aging and makes you stupid.
This might actually be a real item - how else to explain the diminishing
capacity for thought as our average life span increases?
Sounds like an especially dark episode of Twilight Zone.
Post by lal_truckee
Particularly, how else do you explain TV shows like "Ascension?"
How do you explain movies like "Sharknado"?

Oh, wait...

Mark L. Fergerson
David DeLaney
2014-12-19 13:56:44 UTC
Post by lal_truckee
Particularly, how else do you explain TV shows like "Ascension?"
How do you explain movies like "Sharknado"?
Oh, wait...
Oh, we're long past having to explain that. NOW we have to explain why there's
a SEQUEL.

Dave, how to distinguish our timeline from the REAL ones
Anthony Nance
2014-12-19 14:47:38 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by lal_truckee
Particularly, how else do you explain TV shows like "Ascension?"
How do you explain movies like "Sharknado"?
Oh, wait...
Oh, we're long past having to explain that. NOW we have to explain why there's
a SEQUEL.
Dave, how to distinguish our timeline from the REAL ones
Not to mention -- and I hope you're sitting down for this -- Syfy
has announced the sequel will have a sequel. Sharknado 3 will be
unleashed in summer 2015. [1]

Tony
[1] IMDb says the cast includes Tara Reid and Vanilla Ice,
though they have "(rumored)" next to their names.
Dimensional Traveler
2014-12-20 03:58:13 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by David DeLaney
Post by lal_truckee
Particularly, how else do you explain TV shows like "Ascension?"
How do you explain movies like "Sharknado"?
Oh, wait...
Oh, we're long past having to explain that. NOW we have to explain why there's
a SEQUEL.
Dave, how to distinguish our timeline from the REAL ones
Not to mention -- and I hope you're sitting down for this -- Syfy
has announced the sequel will have a sequel. Sharknado 3 will be
unleashed in summer 2015. [1]
Tony
[1] IMDb says the cast includes Tara Reid and Vanilla Ice,
though they have "(rumored)" next to their names.
Its worse than that, the president of Syfy in a recent interview has
mentioned Sharknado being an annual event!
--
Unrestrained kids in the back seat can cause accidents; and
Unrestrained accidents in the back seat can cause kids.
Anthony Nance
2014-12-23 12:14:54 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by David DeLaney
Post by lal_truckee
Particularly, how else do you explain TV shows like "Ascension?"
How do you explain movies like "Sharknado"?
Oh, wait...
Oh, we're long past having to explain that. NOW we have to explain why there's
a SEQUEL.
Dave, how to distinguish our timeline from the REAL ones
Not to mention -- and I hope you're sitting down for this -- Syfy
has announced the sequel will have a sequel. Sharknado 3 will be
unleashed in summer 2015. [1]
Tony
[1] IMDb says the cast includes Tara Reid and Vanilla Ice,
though they have "(rumored)" next to their names.
Its worse than that, the president of Syfy in a recent interview has
mentioned Sharknado being an annual event!
Oh my...I did not know that. In fact, I'd attempt to forget it, but
then I'd likely be having this moment with someone else later.[1]

Tony
[1] Hoping I haven't had it already.
J. Clarke
2014-12-17 21:35:31 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by TB
[...]
So is the difference between Orion and anything that we have built.

Rosetta is a poor example--it isn't even using the most capable
propulsion that we have actually put in service. We have ion and plasma
thrusters that can achieve much higher delta-v than the chemical
thrusters that were the main propulsion for Rosetta.

But there do not appear to be any technological obstacles to Orion, with
its .1c delta-v and multi-million ton payload. People seem to have
forgotten about the old cold-war dinosaur, and NASA's calling their POS
Apollo clone by the same name seems to have been deliberately intended
to further obfuscate.
JRStern
2014-12-17 22:48:09 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by TB
[...]
But a lot of that payload is the drive plate.

By the time you net that out, and the relatively low efficiency of the
whole enterprise (sic), fission bombs being inefficient to start with
(though the newer enhanced fission bombs may be better), and the
omnidirectional explosions inefficient as well, I wonder if that's
even a good idea anymore.

In 1963 terms, maybe.

J.
J. Clarke
2014-12-18 11:47:44 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by TB
[...]
None of that payload is the drive plate. Payload is what you carry that
isn't propellant or part of the vehicle.
Post by JRStern
By the time you net that out, and the relatively low efficiency of the
whole enterprise (sic), fission bombs being inefficient to start with
(though the newer enhanced fission bombs may be better), and the
omnidirectional explosions inefficient as well, I wonder if that's
even a good idea anymore.
Fusion bombs are better.

Yes, Orion is inefficient in coupling the energy of the bomb to the
pusher plate. That does't keep it from being vastly more capable than
any other propulsion system we know how to make.
Post by JRStern
In 1963 terms, maybe.
When something else has lofted even a thousand tons, get back to me on
much better our current systems are than Orion.
JRStern
2014-12-18 17:52:01 UTC
Post by JRStern
In 1963 terms, maybe.
When something else has lofted even a thousand tons, get back to me on
much better our current systems are than Orion.
The lofting out of the gravity well is the hard part.

Once in space a much weaker drive might be preferable if it is more
efficient, and can then be run continuously for years.

So it might be just as well to take decades to launch stuff into orbit
with chemical rockets, and then do most or all of the rest with ion
drives or laser drives or solar sails or whatever. If it's a thousand
years in transit what the heck, a few decades of build-out is nothing.

J.
William George Ferguson
2014-12-18 00:58:32 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by TB
[...]
Given you are referring to thermmonuclear pulse propulsion, the biggest
diffence between it and anything else that we have built is that we haven't
built it.
Post by J. Clarke
Rosetta is a poor example--it isn't even using the most capable
propulsion that we have actually put in service. We have ion and plasma
thrusters that can achieve much higher delta-v than the chemical
thrusters that were the main propulsion for Rosetta.
But there do not appear to be any technological obstacles to Orion, with
its .1c delta-v and multi-million ton payload. People seem to have
forgotten about the old cold-war dinosaur, and NASA's calling their POS
Apollo clone by the same name seems to have been deliberately intended
to further obfuscate.
The biggest drawback to thermonuclear pulse propulsion (ignoring the
radioactive fallout potential if you actually use it near a planet) is that
it is inefficient as a propellant. Despite the best efforts of 'shaped
nuclear bombs', the majority of the force of the explosion is not going to
act on the propulsion plate. The percentage that actually acts on the
propulsion plate would, without a doubt, be able to accelerate a vehicle
sitting on that plate to a greater speed than we have thus far reached with
a macrosopic object, but it is less than certain that humans (or other
large sized 'vores) would survive the shockwave, in fact, it's less that
certain that the propulsion plate would survive. Freeman Dyson felt that
the only way to truly understand the effects would be to build a propulsion
plate and set off a nuclear bomb behind it

One difficulty of testing it is that, before the engineering had caught up,
the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty of 1963 made testing it illegal. The
closest thing to a test was the Pasca-B containment test in 1957, where an
a-bomb was set at the bottom of a deep shaft which was covered by a six
inch thick steel cap. When the bomb was set off (and containment pretty
much completely failed) the estimated upward speed of the steel cap was
somewhere between 22mps and 41mps.
(Bene Gesserit)
JRStern
2014-12-18 01:24:26 UTC
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:58:32 -0700, William George Ferguson
Post by William George Ferguson
One difficulty of testing it is that, before the engineering had caught up,
the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty of 1963 made testing it illegal. The
closest thing to a test was the Pasca-B containment test in 1957, where an
a-bomb was set at the bottom of a deep shaft which was covered by a six
inch thick steel cap. When the bomb was set off (and containment pretty
much completely failed) the estimated upward speed of the steel cap was
somewhere between 22mps and 41mps.
Doesn't seem realistic, just the acceleration and friction would
vaporize it in the first second, if not the first nanosecond.

J.
Greg Goss
2014-12-18 07:19:18 UTC
Post by JRStern
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:58:32 -0700, William George Ferguson
Post by William George Ferguson
One difficulty of testing it is that, before the engineering had caught up,
the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty of 1963 made testing it illegal. The
closest thing to a test was the Pasca-B containment test in 1957, where an
a-bomb was set at the bottom of a deep shaft which was covered by a six
inch thick steel cap. When the bomb was set off (and containment pretty
much completely failed) the estimated upward speed of the steel cap was
somewhere between 22mps and 41mps.
Doesn't seem realistic, just the acceleration and friction would
vaporize it in the first second, if not the first nanosecond.
Not nanosecond. It hung together long enough to show on one frame of
the ultra-high-speed camera watching the event.
William George Ferguson
2014-12-18 07:36:29 UTC
Post by JRStern
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 17:58:32 -0700, William George Ferguson
Post by William George Ferguson
One difficulty of testing it is that, before the engineering had caught up,
the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty of 1963 made testing it illegal. The
closest thing to a test was the Pasca-B containment test in 1957, where an
a-bomb was set at the bottom of a deep shaft which was covered by a six
inch thick steel cap. When the bomb was set off (and containment pretty
much completely failed) the estimated upward speed of the steel cap was
somewhere between 22mps and 41mps.
Doesn't seem realistic, just the acceleration and friction would
vaporize it in the first second, if not the first nanosecond.
Well, it actually happening does seem to establish that it is 'realistic'.
Look up the Pascal-B nuclear test. Dr. Brownlee, the project director,
did, in fact, believe that the cap broke up/burned up rather than leave the
atmosphere, but it wasn't insantaneous

While there were various estimates as to the cap's velocity, probsbly the
most accurate was Dr. Brownlee's, "It was going like a bat out of hell."
(Bene Gesserit)
JRStern
2014-12-19 06:28:00 UTC
On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 00:36:29 -0700, William George Ferguson
Post by JRStern
[...]
I can credit that.

But I'm comparing the event to a shaped charge hitting a foot of tank
armor, and at those energy densities no known solid matter holds
together, as I understand it it's effectively vaporized instantly,
heated to thousands of degrees, so it's only condensed steel vapor
that even travels through the atmosphere, already hotter than the mere
thousands of degrees of frictional heating.

Maybe it could hang together and resolidify somewhere past the moon,
or not.

J.
Greg Goss
2014-12-18 07:15:32 UTC
Post by William George Ferguson
in fact, it's less that
certain that the propulsion plate would survive. Freeman Dyson felt that
the only way to truly understand the effects would be to build a propulsion
plate and set off a nuclear bomb behind it
Does the orbital manhole cover come close?

http://savvyparanoia.com/the-fastest-man-made-object-ever-a-nuclear-powered-manhole-cover-true/
Greg Goss
2014-12-18 07:16:20 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by William George Ferguson
in fact, it's less that
certain that the propulsion plate would survive. Freeman Dyson felt that
the only way to truly understand the effects would be to build a propulsion
plate and set off a nuclear bomb behind it
Does the orbital manhole cover come close?
http://savvyparanoia.com/the-fastest-man-made-object-ever-a-nuclear-powered-manhole-cover-true/
Whoops. If I had read one more paragraph, you already covered that
point.
nuny@bid.nes
2014-12-18 21:30:02 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by William George Ferguson
in fact, it's less that
certain that the propulsion plate would survive. Freeman Dyson felt that
the only way to truly understand the effects would be to build a propulsion
plate and set off a nuclear bomb behind it
Does the orbital manhole cover come close?
http://savvyparanoia.com/the-fastest-man-made-object-ever-a-nuclear-powered-manhole-cover-true/
Thanks for that link. (Nice that it links to Carey Sublette's Archive.)

That's often cited as existence proof that Orion would work, but...

What does "survive" mean in context?

Unless I misplaced some decimal points the "manhole cover" (all two thousand pounds of it) was traveling at six times Earth escape velocity, or Mach 224 (that's two hundred twenty four):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Plumbbob#Propulsion_of_steel_plate_cap

...and likely achieved that velocity pretty quickly. Since there's one frame of the thing on film it didn't immediately disintegrate, but I infer "survive" to mean more than another frame or two's worth of time, even though I don't know the frame rate.

I'd like to see that frame but can't seem to Google it. I'm wondering of it was visibly deformed since its acceleration (and derivatives thereof) must have been in the Ludicrous range.

Anyway, assume it "launched" at six times escape velocity and thereafter decelerated at some rate due to drag, getting hotter all the while. All the data I can find on blunt body aerodynamic heating tops out in the low dozens of Mach numbers, nowhere near the low hundreds. People who write equations for this kind of thing don't seem to have considered that regime, and I can't blame them.

I found this:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/contest/contest_18/dio_05.htm

...in which Nyrath The Nearly Wise mentions that six times Earth escape velocity is also twice Sol's escape velocity, so if it made it through the atmosphere the damned thing could have gone anywhere in the galaxy. But, since meteors massing much less don't make it all the way through on the way down, it's not probable that the cover made it all the way out even though (because?) it was moving much faster than most meteors.

I'm finding it difficult to think objectively about this- I keep wanting to just stop and boggle like it was a Niven story element.

Speaking of boggling, I just found out about Project Thunderwell:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sci.space.tech/cYWpdU0J3H8

...which sounds like a serious contender for Orion, at least in terms of payload mass per single launch to orbit.

Mark L. Fergerson
Dimensional Traveler
2014-12-19 04:50:17 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by Greg Goss
[...]
That might be why it _would_ survive exiting the atmosphere, it simply
wouldn't have enough time in atmosphere to be able to heat up much from
friction. A little Googling for atmospheric thickness and some quick
calculations indicate the cover would exit the Mesosphere in about 1.3
seconds and pass the ISS in less than 10 seconds.
Post by ***@bid.nes
I'm finding it difficult to think objectively about this- I keep wanting to just stop and boggle like it was a Niven story element.
You sure it wasn't? :D
Robert Carnegie
2014-12-19 11:26:50 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
I'm finding it difficult to think objectively about this- I keep wanting to just stop and boggle like it was a Niven story element.
You sure it wasn't? :D
He wrote that "modest proposal" about radioactive money.
Or was it "one of several ideas to dispose of radioactive
waste"?

Taking it as the former... I know of a few cases,
fictional and otherwise, where the currency appears
to be "commodity money", e.g. a banknote representing
an amount of gold, but actually is
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_money> which isn't.
One reason is that the "commodity" is out of reach.

In the short term, "stuff in orbit" seems to qualify
pretty well for that.

It also encourages international competition in space
flight, to increase each country's capital.

Downsides?
David DeLaney
2014-12-19 13:55:41 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Taking it as the former... I know of a few cases,
fictional and otherwise, where the currency appears
to be "commodity money", e.g. a banknote representing
an amount of gold, but actually is
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_money> which isn't.
One reason is that the "commodity" is out of reach.
In the short term, "stuff in orbit" seems to qualify
pretty well for that.
ObSF: Secret of the Sixth Magic, Hardy. For a while, while the magic system
is being wrangled this way and that in its axioms, the basis of the currency
is disrupted ... and then a clever save is made.
Post by Robert Carnegie
It also encourages international competition in space
flight, to increase each country's capital.
Downsides?
What goes up must come down. And/or must clutter up orbital space on either
side of it, in a complicated fashion. Nobody wants the next Shuttle launch to
bring a medium-small bank into receivership...

Dave
Cryptoengineer
2014-12-19 15:56:07 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by Greg Goss
Post by William George Ferguson
in fact, it's less that
certain that the propulsion plate would survive. Freeman Dyson
felt that the only way to truly understand the effects would be to
build a propulsion plate and set off a nuclear bomb behind it
Does the orbital manhole cover come close?
http://savvyparanoia.com/the-fastest-man-made-object-ever-a-nuclear-
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by ***@bid.nes
owered-manhole-cover-true/
Post by ***@bid.nes
[...]
I don't think the short time it had to heat saves you - the
kinetic energy increases with the square of the velocity
(e = 1/2 * mv^2). Thus, while doubling the speed halves the
time in the atmosphere, it quadruples the energy.

The lid was 4 inches thick, and 4 feet across. Above every
square inch lay 14 pounds of air. Thats several times the
weight of the lid.

My suspicion is that at the forces involved, the physical
strength of the steel can be ignored. In a shaped charge,
the tip of the jet travels 7-14 km/s, compared to the 65
km/s the plate may have reached.

Of course, much of the heating doesn't come from atmospheric
drag, but from the hypersonic (in steel!) shockwave traveling
through the lid when the atomic blast hit it.

pt
nuny@bid.nes
2014-12-19 22:24:38 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
[...]
Still, it's only exposed to whatever temperature (from the shock front *above* it) it was exposed to for 1.3 seconds.
Post by Greg Goss
The lid was 4 inches thick, and 4 feet across. Above every
square inch lay 14 pounds of air. Thats several times the
weight of the lid.
Yeah, about thirteen times. So what?
Post by Greg Goss
My suspicion is that at the forces involved, the physical
strength of the steel can be ignored. In a shaped charge,
the tip of the jet travels 7-14 km/s, compared to the 65
km/s the plate may have reached.
True, but such devices are specifically designed to pierce, not to push. The cover felt the force from below evenly across its bottom surface.
Post by Greg Goss
Of course, much of the heating doesn't come from atmospheric
drag, but from the hypersonic (in steel!) shockwave traveling
through the lid when the atomic blast hit it.
The "atomic blast" never hit it. There was a loose-fitting concrete plug "collimator" somewhere below it (that vaporized) and several feet of air between, so the whole thing resembled what we modern folk call a gas gun.

Not this kind of gas gun:

http://www.hobbytron.com/GasAirsoftGuns.html

...this kind:

https://str.llnl.gov/str/Holmes.html

Now, while I can't find consistent numbers on the mass of the plug, the diameter or length of the shaft, or the acceleration the plug felt, the bottom line is that the compressed air accelerated the lid (relatively intact, after breaking the welds holding it down) to Mach two-hundred-twenty-fucking-FOUR in however long it took to rise to where the high-speed camera could see it.

If we knew the frame rate of the camera (Googling "high speed camera 1957" doesn't help much) and the height at which the image was captured, we could estimate the acceleration rate during that rise. Some more numbers on what it takes to vaporize the concrete, and the dimensions of the shaft would give us a hint as to the temperature of the air shock that accelerated it.

There's probably some further acceleration as the superheated compressed air continues flushing out of the hole, but it doesn't seem significant to me. Point is, a more or less intact hunk of steel was in the air, traveling upward at Mach 224. It's extremely unlikely that it didn't tumble, which really complicates things. Every time it flipped it would change trajectory (because the shock front would change shape), making it less likely it would average upward motion for much of its short but exciting trip. Small wonder they never found it.

Mark L. Fergerson
JRStern
2014-12-19 23:09:14 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
[...]
At those speeds you get nothing but the sudden appearance of a
white-hot column, and unless that camera was a good distance away it
didn't survive more than one frame anyway.

J.
Mark L. Fergerson
Cryptoengineer
2014-12-20 03:51:20 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
[...]
You're not getting it - going faster means its exposed to *more*
heat, not less. Each doubling of speed heats it up four times
more.
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by Greg Goss
The lid was 4 inches thick, and 4 feet across. Above every
square inch lay 14 pounds of air. Thats several times the
weight of the lid.
Yeah, about thirteen times. So what?
So what? That's the weight of air it has to push out of the
way. That's what slows it down, and heats it up. Its the
most important factor in deciding if it gets to space or not.

Pushing that weight - several tons - out of the way slows
it down.

Imagine it smashing into 13 identical (stationary) manhole
covers as it ascends. It's a huge barrier.
Post by Greg Goss
Of course, much of the heating doesn't come from atmospheric
drag, but from the hypersonic (in steel!) shockwave traveling
through the lid when the atomic blast hit it.
The "atomic blast" never hit it. There was a loose-fitting concrete
plug "collimator" somewhere below it (that vaporized) and several
feet of air between, so the whole thing resembled what we modern
folk call a gas gun.
Cite? This was a containment test. What purpose would a collimator
serve?

The first impetus given it would be from vaporization of surface
of the plate facing the radiation. But as you say, the major
impetus would be from the hypersonic shockwave reaching it,
31 milliseconds later.
Post by ***@bid.nes
[...]
I think we're all in agreement with the experts - it didn't last long,
and didn't make it to space.

One way to think of it is as a meteor in reverse.

In
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteoroid#Meteoroids_in_the_Solar_System
I find:
"On January 17, 2013 at 05:21 PST, a 1 meter-sized comet from the Oort
cloud entered Earth atmosphere over a wide area in California and Nevada.
[18] The object had a retrograde orbit with perihelion at 0.98 ± 0.03 AU.
It approached from the direction of the constellation Virgo, and collided
head-on with Earth atmosphere at 72 ± 6 km/s[18] vapourising more than
100 km above ground over a period of several seconds."

The cover was moving slower, about 66 km/s, but was doing so in the
densest part of the atmosphere. The meteor described above had to
shove aside only 0.0003% of the stmosphere before it vaporized.
The cover would encounter this much air in the first 2.5 mm of its
trip (check the math if you don't beleive me - 100 km is the edge
of space, above 99.9997% of the stmosphere; and the scale height of
the atmosphere is 8500 meters). That it was solid steel instead of
a fragile comet nucleus let it hold together enough to appear in
one frame, but I doubt it got much farther in one piece.

pt
Cryptoengineer
2014-12-20 04:24:32 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by Greg Goss
r-
powered-manhole-cover-true/
Post by Greg Goss
Of course, much of the heating doesn't come from atmospheric
drag, but from the hypersonic (in steel!) shockwave traveling
through the lid when the atomic blast hit it.
The "atomic blast" never hit it. There was a loose-fitting concrete
plug "collimator" somewhere below it (that vaporized) and several
feet of air between, so the whole thing resembled what we modern
folk call a gas gun.
http://www.hobbytron.com/GasAirsoftGuns.html
https://str.llnl.gov/str/Holmes.html
Now, while I can't find consistent numbers on the mass of the plug,
the diameter or length of the shaft, or the acceleration the plug
felt, the bottom line is that the compressed air accelerated the lid
(relatively intact, after breaking the welds holding it down) to
Mach two-hundred-twenty-fucking-FOUR in however long it took to rise
to where the high-speed camera could see it.
It was a four foot wide shaft, with a four inch thick steel cover.
It weighed about a ton. The shaft was 500 feet.

Useful data here:
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Plumbob.html
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Brownlee.html
Post by ***@bid.nes
If we knew the frame rate of the camera (Googling "high speed camera
1957" doesn't help much) and the height at which the image was
captured, we could estimate the acceleration rate during that rise.
Some more numbers on what it takes to vaporize the concrete, and the
dimensions of the shaft would give us a hint as to the temperature
of the air shock that accelerated it.
I don't know what camera they used. Here, I find reference to a
100 million frame per second camera in 1950:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ydgDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA158&dq=1954
+Popular+Mechanics+January&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WSfYT4GmKcOA2wW3ycWOCw&ved=
0CE8Q6AEwBzgy#v=onepage&q&f=true
but it seems to be very specialized.

pt
Dimensional Traveler
2014-12-20 04:10:40 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by Greg Goss
Post by William George Ferguson
in fact, it's less that
certain that the propulsion plate would survive. Freeman Dyson
felt that the only way to truly understand the effects would be to
build a propulsion plate and set off a nuclear bomb behind it
Does the orbital manhole cover come close?
http://savvyparanoia.com/the-fastest-man-made-object-ever-a-nuclear-
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by ***@bid.nes
owered-manhole-cover-true/
Post by ***@bid.nes
[...]
Sounds like a job for ... Mythbusters!!! :D (And ain't that a
terrifying thought.)

This being some kind Niven story idea was mentioned. After I posted
before I seemed to remember something like this in some book as a weapon
against invading aliens. 'Footfall' maybe?
Greg Goss
2014-12-20 05:55:45 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
This being some kind Niven story idea was mentioned. After I posted
before I seemed to remember something like this in some book as a weapon
against invading aliens. 'Footfall' maybe?
I just reread Footfall. They used gamma ray lasers, "big guns"
borrowed from battleships, missiles, and manned ramming "stovepipe"
miniships. No nuclear shotguns.
Dimensional Traveler
Steve Coltrin
2014-12-23 00:43:12 UTC
begin fnord
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Dimensional Traveler
This being some kind Niven story idea was mentioned. After I posted
before I seemed to remember something like this in some book as a weapon
against invading aliens. 'Footfall' maybe?
I just reread Footfall. They used gamma ray lasers, "big guns"
borrowed from battleships, missiles, and manned ramming "stovepipe"
miniships. No nuclear shotguns.
But they did use an Orion drive to get the damn thing off the ground.

"G-d was knocking, and he wanted in NOW."
--
Steve Coltrin ***@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel
- Associated Press
Dimensional Traveler
2014-12-23 04:01:19 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
begin fnord
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Dimensional Traveler
This being some kind Niven story idea was mentioned. After I posted
before I seemed to remember something like this in some book as a weapon
against invading aliens. 'Footfall' maybe?
I just reread Footfall. They used gamma ray lasers, "big guns"
borrowed from battleships, missiles, and manned ramming "stovepipe"
miniships. No nuclear shotguns.
But they did use an Orion drive to get the damn thing off the ground.
"G-d was knocking, and he wanted in NOW."
Even better, weren't they carrying bomb-pumped lasers?
Greg Goss
2014-12-23 17:10:31 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
begin fnord
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Dimensional Traveler
This being some kind Niven story idea was mentioned. After I posted
before I seemed to remember something like this in some book as a weapon
against invading aliens. 'Footfall' maybe?
I just reread Footfall. They used gamma ray lasers, "big guns"
borrowed from battleships, missiles, and manned ramming "stovepipe"
miniships. No nuclear shotguns.
But they did use an Orion drive to get the damn thing off the ground.
"G-d was knocking, and he wanted in NOW."
Yeah, and that same drive powered the gamma ray lasers.
JRStern
2014-12-23 20:26:20 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Dimensional Traveler
This being some kind Niven story idea was mentioned. After I posted
before I seemed to remember something like this in some book as a weapon
against invading aliens. 'Footfall' maybe?
I just reread Footfall. They used gamma ray lasers, "big guns"
borrowed from battleships, missiles, and manned ramming "stovepipe"
miniships. No nuclear shotguns.
The stovepipes didn't ram, the shuttle did.

The stovepipes were dismounted large cannons, no details given on how
they individually motivated around that much mass once in space,
presumably not very well, would pretty much have to redesign them to a
recoilless mechanism or they'd be going backwards pretty fast.

J.
William December Starr
2014-12-25 16:40:45 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>,
JRStern <***@foobar.invalid> said:

[ re the human space weaponry in _Footfall_ ]
Post by JRStern
The stovepipes were dismounted large cannons, no details given
on how they individually motivated around that much mass once
in space, presumably not very well, would pretty much have to
redesign them to a recoilless mechanism or they'd be going
backwards pretty fast.
Fire half your shots at the enemy and half of them behind you?

-- wds
Steve Coltrin
2014-12-25 20:39:07 UTC
begin fnord
Post by JRStern
The stovepipes were dismounted large cannons, no details given
on how they individually motivated around that much mass once
in space, presumably not very well, would pretty much have to
redesign them to a recoilless mechanism or they'd be going
backwards pretty fast.
Fire half your shots at the enemy and half of them behind you?
Efficiency issues aside, that'd suck for someone behind you, sooner
or later (cue the "Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest sonofabitch
in space!" speech).
- Associated Press
J. Clarke
2014-12-18 11:55:54 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by TB
[...]
The "else" is your insertion.

If you know of a technological showstopper to Orion please present it.
Post by J. Clarke
Rosetta is a poor example--it isn't even using the most capable
propulsion that we have actually put in service. We have ion and plasma
thrusters that can achieve much higher delta-v than the chemical
thrusters that were the main propulsion for Rosetta.
But there do not appear to be any technological obstacles to Orion, with
its .1c delta-v and multi-million ton payload. People seem to have
forgotten about the old cold-war dinosaur, and NASA's calling their POS
Apollo clone by the same name seems to have been deliberately intended
to further obfuscate.
The biggest drawback to thermonuclear pulse propulsion (ignoring the
radioactive fallout potential if you actually use it near a planet) is that
it is inefficient as a propellant.
Inefficient by the standard of "something else using the same amount of
energy could be more efficient" yes. By the standard of "we know how to
make something that is actually more efficient", what do we know how to
make that is more efficient in turning mass into delta-v?
Post by William George Ferguson
Despite the best efforts of 'shaped
nuclear bombs', the majority of the force of the explosion is not going to
act on the propulsion plate.
So what?
Post by William George Ferguson
The percentage that actually acts on the
propulsion plate would, without a doubt, be able to accelerate a vehicle
sitting on that plate to a greater speed than we have thus far reached with
a macrosopic object, but it is less than certain that humans (or other
large sized 'vores) would survive the shockwave, in fact, it's less that
certain that the propulsion plate would survive.
A preliminary design on that was done you know. You don't seem to be
aware that up until 1963 the government was funding the program at a
level that suggested that there was every intention of building it.
Post by William George Ferguson
Freeman Dyson felt that
the only way to truly understand the effects would be to build a propulsion
plate and set off a nuclear bomb behind it
That was then, this is now. Dyson didn't have massive computer power
available. I don't know if anybody has modeled this but there don't
appear to be showstoppers. You're just telling us what the engineers
have to figure out.
Post by William George Ferguson
One difficulty of testing it is that, before the engineering had caught up,
the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty of 1963 made testing it illegal.
Which was already stipulated so what point do you think you are making
by bringing it into the discussion?
Post by William George Ferguson
The
closest thing to a test was the Pasca-B containment test in 1957, where an
a-bomb was set at the bottom of a deep shaft which was covered by a six
inch thick steel cap. When the bomb was set off (and containment pretty
much completely failed) the estimated upward speed of the steel cap was
somewhere between 22mps and 41mps.
Actually nobody knows the speed, only that it was very high. There was
a camera set to record its movement but it only appeared in one frame--I
don't know if that is because the camera malfunctioned or becaues it was
moving faster than planned.
Cryptoengineer
2014-12-18 14:57:44 UTC
Post by JRStern
The
closest thing to a test was the Pasca-B containment test in 1957,
where an a-bomb was set at the bottom of a deep shaft which was
covered by a six inch thick steel cap. When the bomb was set off (and
containment pretty much completely failed) the estimated upward speed
of the steel cap was somewhere between 22mps and 41mps.
Actually nobody knows the speed, only that it was very high. There
was a camera set to record its movement but it only appeared in one
frame--I don't know if that is because the camera malfunctioned or
becaues it was moving faster than planned.
There's a book about the project, which I am now going to buy....

But seriously, all the objections being raised here were also
raised 50 years ago, and (aside from fallout) thought to be
tractable. There's a lot of detail in the Wikipedia article
(but I still want the book).

pt
Greg Goss
2014-12-18 16:44:38 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Actually nobody knows the speed, only that it was very high. There was
a camera set to record its movement but it only appeared in one frame--I
don't know if that is because the camera malfunctioned or becaues it was
moving faster than planned.
According to the web page I linked upthread, they were testing a
safety feature. If this design of bomb was mishandled, it could go
off, but the safety feature meant that it would end up a fizzle
instead of a full blast. This test was testing that safety feature.

The safety feature failed and they got the full-power blast instead of
the expected mini-blast.
William George Ferguson
2014-12-19 02:07:22 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by William George Ferguson
I'm not going to argue that it is impossible with 1963 technology, plus
reasonable developments, which we know are reasonable because, duh, they
occurred. However, to give some perspective, to reach the comet, the
Rosetta had to make multiple slingshot orbits, to get its speed up to
40,000 mph relative to Earth. To reach 0.01C would require acheiving a
speed of just under 7,000,000 mph. The difference between 40 thousand and
7 million is rather large.
So is the difference between Orion and anything that we have built.
Given you are referring to thermmonuclear pulse propulsion, the biggest
diffence between it and anything else that we have built is that we haven't
built it.
The "else" is your insertion.
You're absolutely right, and I apologize. I was seeing in my head
something that wasn't there on (virtual) paper.
Post by J. Clarke
[...]
act on it
You don't seem to be
aware that up until 1963 the government was funding the program at a
level that suggested that there was every intention of building it.
In 1961, the government had every intention of launching Orions from
Antarctica
Post by J. Clarke
Post by William George Ferguson
Freeman Dyson felt that
the only way to truly understand the effects would be to build a propulsion
plate and set off a nuclear bomb behind it
That was then, this is now. Dyson didn't have massive computer power
available. I don't know if anybody has modeled this but there don't
appear to be showstoppers. You're just telling us what the engineers
have to figure out.
Since one of the things is 'is it possible', that's fairly significant.
Post by J. Clarke
Post by William George Ferguson
One difficulty of testing it is that, before the engineering had caught up,
the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty of 1963 made testing it illegal.
Which was already stipulated so what point do you think you are making
by bringing it into the discussion?
Just explaining why we aren't further along in testing and modeling than we
are.
Post by J. Clarke
Post by William George Ferguson
The
closest thing to a test was the Pasca-B containment test in 1957, where an
a-bomb was set at the bottom of a deep shaft which was covered by a six
inch thick steel cap. When the bomb was set off (and containment pretty
much completely failed) the estimated upward speed of the steel cap was
somewhere between 22mps and 41mps.
Actually nobody knows the speed, only that it was very high. There was
a camera set to record its movement but it only appeared in one frame--I
don't know if that is because the camera malfunctioned or becaues it was
moving faster than planned.
1. Using the word 'estimated' and giving such a large range (22mps-41mps)
pretty much acknowledges 'nobody knows'. I still like the project
designer's estimate as the most accurate, "going like a bat out of hell".

2. the Pascal-B test was testing containment in case of a 'fizzle
explosion' due to some external factor, rather than a deliberate explosion.
The bomb was supposed to yield about 1.5 kilotons, simulating such a
'fizzle' explosion. In fact, the bomb is estimated to have had a yield of
about 33 kilotons, so yeah, a lot faster than planned.

Let me make a few more comments, since you seem to be taking me as
adversarial, and I'm not (or at least I don't perceive myself to be)

Barring Clarke level Sufficiently Advanced Technology, I do not believe
that it would be a good idea ever to launch a thermonuclear pulse
propulsion ship in the atmosphere of any planet on which we are going to
continue to live..

Launching this type of propulsion sufficiently far from the Earth's surface
would avoid many, possibly most, of the problems of launching from Earth,
but would add the problem of getting the ship (and payload) into that
position

Improving that last 10 (or whatever) percent on carbon nanotube tech, and
building a skyhook/space elevator, would neatly get around that problem,
but the fact is, we can lift that amount of tonnage into high orbit now, if
we really, really want to

All that said, I'm not sure that any modeling done so far stands up to
having an Orion type propulsion ship reaching 0.1C. A lot of the initial
modeling was done back in the 60s, and comes off as blue sky. There has
been modeling done since computer power has ramped up, especially since
computer power reached the point that scientists don't have to depend on
government funding to do the computer modeling.

If an Orion type ship reached 0.01C (which I think is far more likely), it
wouldn't reach Proxima Centauri in 100 years, more like 350 (that's
referring back to the original problem, I think you already pointed this
out somewhere.)

One more thing to consider is that the human race developed under 1.0
gravitation. Any long term deviation from this causes problems. You can
design a vehicle with a significantly lare squirrel cage to get around
this, but you'll have too many problems if you have it spinning while those
bombs are popping at the back. Of course, you also get around this by
having it unmanned, but where's the fun in that?
(Bene Gesserit)
J. Clarke
2014-12-19 09:25:57 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
[...]
Sorry, I've been "debating" with a bunch of people on IMDB who think
that watching Cosmos makes them more knowledgeable about physics than
Kip Thorne so I'm kind of spring loaded in that direction.
Post by William George Ferguson
Barring Clarke level Sufficiently Advanced Technology, I do not believe
that it would be a good idea ever to launch a thermonuclear pulse
propulsion ship in the atmosphere of any planet on which we are going to
continue to live..
I understand that they looked at that and the risk from a single launch
would get lost in the statistical noise. If you were launching hundreds
of them every year it would be a different story.
Post by William George Ferguson
Launching this type of propulsion sufficiently far from the Earth's surface
would avoid many, possibly most, of the problems of launching from Earth,
but would add the problem of getting the ship (and payload) into that
position
And it kind of defeats one of the purposes.
Post by William George Ferguson
Improving that last 10 (or whatever) percent on carbon nanotube tech, and
building a skyhook/space elevator, would neatly get around that problem,
but the fact is, we can lift that amount of tonnage into high orbit now, if
we really, really want to
The technology exists. Whether the economic wherewithal exists is
another story.
Post by William George Ferguson
All that said, I'm not sure that any modeling done so far stands up to
having an Orion type propulsion ship reaching 0.1C. A lot of the initial
modeling was done back in the 60s, and comes off as blue sky. There has
been modeling done since computer power has ramped up, especially since
computer power reached the point that scientists don't have to depend on
government funding to do the computer modeling.
In my hypothetical configuration .1 c was not mentioned. I stated .05 C
for one and a half stages.
Post by William George Ferguson
If an Orion type ship reached 0.01C (which I think is far more likely), it
wouldn't reach Proxima Centauri in 100 years, more like 350 (that's
referring back to the original problem, I think you already pointed this
out somewhere.)
Dyson estimates .033c, which is 133 years, but that's for a flyby.
Post by William George Ferguson
One more thing to consider is that the human race developed under 1.0
gravitation. Any long term deviation from this causes problems. You can
design a vehicle with a significantly lare squirrel cage to get around
this, but you'll have too many problems if you have it spinning while those
bombs are popping at the back. Of course, you also get around this by
having it unmanned, but where's the fun in that?
When the bombs are popping out the back it's not an issue. When they
stop you can reconfigure to a rotating design.
Robert Carnegie
2014-12-17 12:30:27 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by TB
[...]
I haven't seen the show in question, but to take
the question literally, research into new technology
stops in 1963, with the budget being spent on this
project instead. Forever. Well, until launched.
My generation ship is equipped with a laboratory
and workshop. They can invent and repurpose new
technology /in flight/. But not before.

And anyway, is the question limited to American
"available" technology, or, can you use Soviet
rocket and capsule designs of the same date?

Although I don't know how much that helps.
A.G.McDowell
2014-12-17 06:33:45 UTC
Post by TB
Your assignment: Design, using just technology available in 1963, an interstellar spaceship which would be able to reach Proxima Centauri in 100 years. How would you do so?
It's about 10 years too late, but I'd have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Daedalus
Quadibloc
2014-12-17 23:44:10 UTC
Post by A.G.McDowell
It's about 10 years too late, but I'd have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Daedalus
Daedalus is still beyond even today's technology, so the original Project Orion
is a better model.

John Savard
A.G.McDowell
2014-12-18 09:14:07 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by A.G.McDowell
It's about 10 years too late, but I'd have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Daedalus
Daedalus is still beyond even today's technology, so the original Project Orion
is a better model.
John Savard
You certainly want to look at both. There is a (rather sobering)
argument that if Daedalus is the most plausible interstellar probe the
BIS could come up with in 1973, the problem might be a bit tricky, short
of some technological breakthrough not yet on the horizon.
Quadibloc
2014-12-18 10:34:08 UTC
Post by A.G.McDowell
There is a (rather sobering)
argument that if Daedalus is the most plausible interstellar probe the
BIS could come up with in 1973, the problem might be a bit tricky, short
of some technological breakthrough not yet on the horizon.
Well, yes, interstellar travel is known to be a highly difficult problem.

Antimatter as a source of power, coupled with some breakthrough in shielding
against the interstellar medium at relativistic speeds, is what would be needed
for *sublight* interstellar travel to be... if not _practical_, at least
halfway feasible.

And for it to be really convenient, magical technology that allows faster-
than-light travel, violating the laws of physics as we know them today, would
be needed.

Although with the Alcubierre warp, there are some possibilities of FTL that
don't require, as it were, magic - but they do require enormous amounts of
energy and exotic forms of matter.

So, barring some kind of incredible panic - i.e. the news that the Solar System
is DOOMED! - it's not going to be worth going to the incredible lengths
interstellar travel would require with the technology likely to be available in
the foreseeable future.

Of course it's a hard problem. Very hard.

John Savard
Walter Bushell
2015-02-17 02:08:07 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Well, yes, interstellar travel is known to be a highly difficult problem.
I do appreciate you talent for understatement.

Where is McAndrew when we need him?
Never attribute to stupidity that which can be explained by greed. Me.
J. Clarke
2014-12-18 11:32:17 UTC
In article <m6u5s1$e9c$***@dont-email.me>, andrew-***@o2.co.uk
says...
Post by A.G.McDowell
Post by Quadibloc
Post by A.G.McDowell
It's about 10 years too late, but I'd have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Daedalus
Daedalus is still beyond even today's technology, so the original Project Orion
is a better model.
John Savard
You certainly want to look at both. There is a (rather sobering)
argument that if Daedalus is the most plausible interstellar probe the
BIS could come up with in 1973, the problem might be a bit tricky, short
of some technological breakthrough not yet on the horizon.
The trouble with Deadalus is that it uses inertial confinement fusion,
which we have not been able to make work on a practical scale. We can
make it happen in the laboratory with huge power input for tiny output
but not on the scale that allows for power generation, let alone
propelling a starship. So it's beyond our technology by a substantial
margin. But we know how to make thermonuclear bombs.
J. Clarke
2014-12-17 21:25:40 UTC
Post by TB
Your assignment: Design, using just technology available in 1963, an interstellar spaceship which would be able to reach Proxima Centauri in 100 years. How would you do so?
It can't be done using only technology that had actually been tested and
demonstrated in 1963.

If you postulate an unlimited budget development program, it concievably
could have been done by then using a three-stage Orion in what Dyson
called the "momemtum-limited" design. The first two stages get you up
to about .05c and then the second and third get you decelerated. Would
have been a real monster though--6 million tons or so at launch and
achieving it that soon would require a budget far vaster than anything
that has ever been spent on space, a genius program director, and lotsa
luck.

Whether that would give enough payload for the mission is an open
question and would depend on how the life-support requirement is
achieved.
m***@gmail.com
2014-12-25 18:43:16 UTC
Post by TB
Your assignment: Design, using just technology available in 1963, an interstellar spaceship which would be able to reach Proxima Centauri in 100 years. How would you do so?
Start with the Orion project design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29

See the technical discussion in the article as to how one could boost an Aircraft Carrier or larger sized spacecraft from the surface of the earth directly into interstellar flight.

I do not see a 100 year trip time as practical to get to proxima centauri per the enclosed site using a momentum limited design one can get to ~ 3% of the speed of light with no fuel for slowing. So one can probably make the case one could make the trip at 1.5% speed of light, or ~ 5000 km/sec. That makes for a ~ 290 year flight.

So you need to design a closed life support system and have a nuclear breeder reactor and the technology and materials on board to build the bombs to slow down with. If you made the bombs now, they would be duds by the time your crew makes it to proxima.