Larry Niven
2017-02-25 18:14:08 UTC
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Jerry Brown
2017-02-25 18:34:34 UTC
On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 11:14:08 -0700, David Johnston
Post by David Johnston
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
"Bordered in Black" maybe?
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Cryptoengineer
2017-02-25 19:49:31 UTC
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Its something of a fetish of his.

Jinx is ovoid, with the poles in vacuum and the equator venus like.
(this is actually another major science error - 'tidal forces' are
alleged to make it non-spherical, but those tidal forces should affect
the atmosphere in the same way as the rock.)

Canyon is sort of Plateau in reverse - there's a canyon at the bottom
of which is breathable atmosphere.

2017-02-25 20:54:36 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by David Johnston
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Its something of a fetish of his.
Jinx is ovoid, with the poles in vacuum and the equator venus like.
(this is actually another major science error - 'tidal forces' are
alleged to make it non-spherical, but those tidal forces should affect
the atmosphere in the same way as the rock.)
Canyon is sort of Plateau in reverse - there's a canyon at the bottom
of which is breathable atmosphere.
Sounds like C. S. Lewis's Malacandra, which (in the backstory)
had originally had an Earth-like atmosphere, but the bad guys
ripped most of it away, whereupon the good guys dug deep trenches
to concentrate the remaining air to a breathable level.

_Out of the Silent Planet_, published 1938, so let's not quibble
about the science.
2017-02-26 11:28:24 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Canyon is sort of Plateau in reverse - there's a canyon at the bottom
of which is breathable atmosphere.
Sounds like C. S. Lewis's Malacandra, which (in the backstory)
had originally had an Earth-like atmosphere, but the bad guys
ripped most of it away, whereupon the good guys dug deep trenches
to concentrate the remaining air to a breathable level.
Canyon was "made". Niven had a weapon that neutralized the charge on
the proton --- it was a mining tool that he invented for World of
Ptavvs. In one of the Man Kzin wars, one of the human forces used two
versions of this weapon, one that neutralized the proton, and one that
neutralized the electron, and aimed them a hundred miles or so apart
on a near-vacuum Kzinti planet hosting a research station.

The resulting "zap" cut a rather deep groove in the planet, and all of
the planet's "near vacuum" fell into the canyon yielding a breathable
atmosphere.
William Hyde
2017-02-25 21:20:53 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by David Johnston
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Its something of a fetish of his.
Jinx is ovoid, with the poles in vacuum and the equator venus like.
(this is actually another major science error - 'tidal forces' are
alleged to make it non-spherical, but those tidal forces should affect
the atmosphere in the same way as the rock.)
As I recall the story has it that Jinx was deformed into its current shape by tidal forces long ago. Over the next few million years it moved farther from its primary and the tidal forces thus weakened, but the planet was now "rigid" and kept it's shape. So it's natural that the poles should be in vacuum.

As with Plateau, this is a case of Niven's exaggerating the strength of rock by many orders of magnitude. I'm not sure that retconning Jinx as made of Scrith would solve that problem.
Post by Cryptoengineer
Canyon is sort of Plateau in reverse - there's a canyon at the bottom
of which is breathable atmosphere.
And Wemadeit is habitable only at certain times of the year.

William Hyde
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-02-25 21:19:23 UTC
On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 2:49:37 PM UTC-5,
t-
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by David Johnston
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which
only a comparatively small part of the world was very
habitable by humans?
Its something of a fetish of his.
Jinx is ovoid, with the poles in vacuum and the equator venus
like. (this is actually another major science error - 'tidal
forces' are alleged to make it non-spherical, but those tidal
forces should affect the atmosphere in the same way as the
rock.)
As I recall the story has it that Jinx was deformed into its
current shape by tidal forces long ago. Over the next few
million years it moved farther from its primary and the tidal
forces thus weakened, but the planet was now "rigid" and kept
it's shape. So it's natural that the poles should be in vacuum.
Still a goofy scienc error, since, if it's big enough to hold a
breathable atmosphere, it's big enough to return of a spheroid
shape in the absence of external forces.
As with Plateau, this is a case of Niven's exaggerating the
strength of rock by many orders of magnitude. I'm not sure that
retconning Jinx as made of Scrith would solve that problem.
Niven was always more interested - and rightly - in telling a good
story than in writing a science textbook.

Cryptoengineer
2017-02-26 02:00:07 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by David Johnston
[...]
Two points:

1. IIRC, Niven repeatedly describes Jinx as looking like 'an Easter egg'.
The deformation required put the poles in vacuum, and the equator at
Venus like conditions are only a couple hundred miles, pole vs equator,
and would be hardly noticable from space.

2. I always assumed that Niven was describing the Jinx with the vacuum
areas at the rotational poles (not sure about this). If so, this is
unstable - the planet would precess until the extended areas were at
the new equator.

2017-02-26 09:49:23 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
1. IIRC, Niven repeatedly describes Jinx as looking like 'an Easter egg'.
The deformation required put the poles in vacuum, and the equator at
Venus like conditions are only a couple hundred miles, pole vs equator,
and would be hardly noticable from space.
A roundish easter egg then; he was almost certainly also describing the
circular cloud bands at various atmosphere depths, plus the poles glittering
with condensed-out air.

But yeah, people's first thought would probably be either "like a marble" or
"like Jupiter".
Post by Cryptoengineer
2. I always assumed that Niven was describing the Jinx with the vacuum
areas at the rotational poles (not sure about this). If so, this is
unstable - the planet would precess until the extended areas were at
the new equator.
Not with tidal forces from its giant primary _still_ acting on it. It did not
escape entirely, it just moved out some. Tidal forces are quadrupole / 1/r^3 ,
and try to push in on the plane tangent to the orbit (in all directions on
the orbiting item) and pull out in both directions along the axis parallel to
the gravitational pull of the thing it orbits.

See Forward's neutron-star books for actual examples of the magi-tech used
to compensate for the much more immense tidal forces near that star. And
Niven's own Integral Tree books describe how the tidal forces kept the trees
pointed in towards and out away from the star, while differing orbital speeds
at different heights produced winds that sculpted the tree ends sideways in
opposite directions.

Dave
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
Joe Pfeiffer
2017-02-26 02:28:54 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by David Johnston
[...]
Without doing any of the math, I'll hazard a guess that the planet would
collapse at supersonic speeds, and "ring" between any number of shapes
that would probably be violent enough to eject matter faster than escape
velocity for millenia -- if not millions of years -- before stabilizing
into a spheroid with minor surface features.
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
As with Plateau, this is a case of Niven's exaggerating the
strength of rock by many orders of magnitude. I'm not sure that
retconning Jinx as made of Scrith would solve that problem.
Niven was always more interested - and rightly - in telling a good
story than in writing a science textbook.
I'm not sure whether my problem is with Niven or myself; it always
seemed like he tried to get the science right but just didn't
understand it. Normally when someone is busily waving their hands to
make an excuse to move the story along they're obvious enough it doesn't
bother me...

(actual line from a play written by a friend of mine: "see that guy
over there? He's a king. If you'd marry him it would really move the
story along")
William Hyde
2017-02-26 03:47:46 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by David Johnston
[...]
And it worked, at the time. And still works for me.

Niven's stories in the 60s were fresh, energetic, full of crazy but attractive ideas delivered in a non-goshwow style that was quite refreshing. If the science didn't bear scrutiny, well I'd read crazier stuff.

I doubt they can feel that way to someone reading them for the first time now.

William Hyde
Don Kuenz
2017-02-26 05:21:29 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by David Johnston
[...]
This thread motivated me to read "At the Bottom of a Hole" for the first
time. My read ought to be done in time for my "Stories read in February"
thread. FWIW.

Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-02-26 06:21:33 UTC
On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 5:19:19 PM UTC-5, Gutless
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by David Johnston
[...]
It always will, as science fantasy.
Niven's stories in the 60s were fresh, energetic, full of crazy
but attractive ideas delivered in a non-goshwow style that was
quite refreshing. If the science didn't bear scrutiny, well I'd
read crazier stuff.
I doubt they can feel that way to someone reading them for the
first time now.
Now Niven's work is one of the inspirations for many new authors.

Tom Kratman
So you've finally surrendered, have you, puss-boy? How very sad. How pathetically sad.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-03 05:31:18 UTC
Still looking for dick to suck, eh, Tommie? Free hint: Get that
chipped tooth fixed. It leaves *marks*.

Tom Kratman
2017-03-11 15:30:13 UTC
I'm going to give you this one bit of special grace, Terri, even though you don't really deserve it. You're plainly too afraid to mention me sua sponte. All you do is respond when I shit on you. That's what's known as you not having the initiative, dicklicker, and me having it. That means you're still a fucking loser. Dipshit.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-11 15:15:34 UTC
You continue to reply, like a little puppy humping my pantleg,
because you *cannot* stop yourself. You are my bitch, body, mind and
soul, and so you will remain until and unless I allow you to escape.
Which I will not do. Ever. I *own* you, bitch, and you *love* it.

Cryptoengineer
2017-03-11 16:35:57 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
You continue to reply, like a little puppy humping my pantleg,
because you *cannot* stop yourself.
Terry, with all due respect:

I haven't run the numbers, but I suspect that you're a more reliable
responder to Tom than he is to you.

2017-03-12 12:38:46 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
You continue to reply, like a little puppy humping my pantleg,
because you *cannot* stop yourself.
I haven't run the numbers, but I suspect that you're a more reliable
responder to Tom than he is to you.
Seeing as Kratman doesn't post in here at all other than to take shots at Terry who gives a crap?
Terry does actually contribute to the group while he isn't trolling
Robert Carnegie
2017-03-12 13:16:46 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
You continue to reply, like a little puppy humping my pantleg,
because you *cannot* stop yourself.
I haven't run the numbers, but I suspect that you're a more reliable
responder to Tom than he is to you.
Seeing as Kratman doesn't post in here at all other than to take shots at Terry who gives a crap?
Terry does actually contribute to the group while he isn't trolling
He never isn't trolling. What you're describing
is bait.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-03-12 14:09:43 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
You continue to reply, like a little puppy humping my pantleg,
because you *cannot* stop yourself.
I haven't run the numbers, but I suspect that you're a more reliable
responder to Tom than he is to you.
Seeing as Kratman doesn't post in here at all other than to take shots at Terry who gives a crap?
Terry does actually contribute to the group while he isn't trolling
He never isn't trolling. What you're describing
is bait.
Yeah. I was going to say that Kratman comes in here SOMETIMES and posts
on-topic stuff, but nearly always in what appears to be a deliberate
attempt to start a flamewar (I say "nearly" because I have a vague
memory of one or two times he posted something that seemed reasonable),
so yeah, whenever he's here I assume he's trolling, not attempting to
actually be a member of the group.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Cryptoengineer
2017-03-12 15:30:18 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Cryptoengineer
[...]
I think we're all in violent agreement here. I was just pointing out that
Terry's taunting Tom for kneejerk replys is a bit of the pot and kettle.

[I note that, in fact, Tom has *not* (yet) replied to Terry.]

pt
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-03-13 00:12:08 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Cryptoengineer
[...]
Which means Terry wins.

If Tom replies, Terry also wins.

The only way Terry COULD ever lose is if, somehow, one of his targets
*ACTUALLY* affected him emotionally.

And that seems pretty much unlikely to happen.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
J. Clarke
2017-03-13 00:27:55 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Cryptoengineer
[...]
And this newsgroup has become obscure enough
that it is unlikely that anyone with a specific
set of skills is going to deal with either of
them.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-14 03:13:53 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Robert Carnegie
On Sunday, March 12, 2017 at 3:36:04 AM UTC+11,
Post by Cryptoengineer
[...]
Is that supposed to be some kind of obscure threat? Or are you just
jealous, too?

Cryptoengineer
2017-03-13 03:59:34 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Cryptoengineer
[...]
We all win when Tom doesn't post here.
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
The only way Terry COULD ever lose is if, somehow, one of his targets
*ACTUALLY* affected him emotionally.
And that seems pretty much unlikely to happen.
Nah, BTDT. You just have to hit one of his Berserk Buttons

pt
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-14 03:14:46 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
The only way Terry COULD ever lose is if, somehow, one of his targets
*ACTUALLY* affected him emotionally.
And that seems pretty much unlikely to happen.
Nah, BTDT. You just have to hit one of his Berserk Buttons
Just keep telling yourself that, the next time you find yourself
wondering why you're replying, again. Maybe if you repeat it often
enough, somebody it'll be true.

Heh.

Kneel and nurse, bitch.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-14 03:13:17 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Cryptoengineer
[...]
Little Tommy has affected me emotionally quite profoundly. I'm
laughing my ass at him right now. It's hard to type through the
tears.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-03-14 11:56:28 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Cryptoengineer
[...]
You're right, I should have made it clear that I meant NEGATIVE
emotions, and probably the most relevant would be rage -- i.e., the only
way they could win would be if *they* could get *you* into a state of
the nigh-incoherent rage you try to engender in others.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
2017-03-14 16:53:09 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Cryptoengineer
[...]
And the only way to not lose is to not play.

2017-03-15 06:03:42 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
And the only way to not lose is to not play.
Grin
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-15 06:33:10 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
And the only way to not lose is to not play.
Grin
Indeed. The losingest loser of all is you, and you're still losing,
because I haven't allowed you to stop yet.

2017-03-15 07:11:15 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
And the only way to not lose is to not play.
Grin
Indeed. The losingest loser of all is you, and you're still losing,
because I haven't allowed you to stop yet.
If you want a rematch, use the appropriate thread title. Arguments
here are SEPARATE from that defeat, and you already know that.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-15 16:54:06 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
And the only way to not lose is to not play.
Grin
Indeed. The losingest loser of all is you, and you're still
losing, because I haven't allowed you to stop yet.
If you want a rematch,
Why would I want that? I kicked your ass last time, as you have
admitted many times, and are admitting again, and I currently have
Little Tommie and others to play with.
Post by Greg Goss
use the appropriate thread title.
And even if I did, I already *have* you on the hook in *this*
thread.
Post by Greg Goss
Arguments here are SEPARATE from that defeat, and you already
know that.
The only way to not lose is to not play, and you're already
playing. And you know *that*.

2017-03-16 04:02:37 UTC
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-16 05:54:48 UTC
As instructed, you *cannot* stop.

Again.

And *everyone* know it. But you like it that way.

Again.

You *will* continue to reply, until I allow you to stop.

Again.

Greg Goss <***@gossg.org> wrote in news:eiuh2vF8v1oU1
@mid.individual.net:

2017-03-16 12:41:52 UTC
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-16 16:22:21 UTC
Note to everyone else:

Killfile us both now. Greggie is my bitch again, for a long time to
come.

Greg Goss <***@gossg.org> wrote in news:eivfgiFel78U1
@mid.individual.net:

Lawrence Watt-Evans
2017-03-16 17:07:58 UTC
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 09:22:21 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Killfile us both now. Greggie is my bitch again, for a long time to
come.
Thanks for the warning. Of course, you know how to get around a
filter if you have something interesting to say.

Think thirty days will do it?
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-16 17:47:41 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 09:22:21 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Killfile us both now. Greggie is my bitch again, for a long time
to come.
Thanks for the warning. Of course, you know how to get around a
filter if you have something interesting to say.
Yeah, but how often does that happen?
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Think thirty days will do it?
I dunno. Last time, Greggie was on the hook for eight months, before
he finally slunk away with his tail between his legs.

Jaimie Vandenbergh
2017-03-18 14:46:43 UTC
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:07:58 -0400, Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 09:22:21 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Killfile us both now. Greggie is my bitch again, for a long time to
come.
Thanks for the warning. Of course, you know how to get around a
filter if you have something interesting to say.
Think thirty days will do it?
I sometimes consider changing to a newsreader that has "kill messages by
X if they are replying to Y", but I like using my current newsreader
slightly more than I miss reading Terry's good posts so never actually
do it.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't
tripping your hair-trigger insecurities." - D M Procida, UCSM
Alan Baker
2017-03-16 19:04:33 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Killfile us both now. Greggie is my bitch again, for a long time to
come.
Wow, you're easily impressed with yourself, aren't you?

:-)
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-16 20:45:04 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Killfile us both now. Greggie is my bitch again, for a long
time to come.
Wow, you're easily impressed with yourself, aren't you?
Much more so than anybody is impressed with you.

Alan Baker:

Do you agree that riots occured, leading to hundreds of arrests,
during the protests over Trump's election?

*One* answer, not

yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/
no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/y
es/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/n
o/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/

like you've been doing.

We both (and everyone else) know you *can't* answer once, and stick
with it, since the answer is "Yes, Clinton supporters are far more
prone to criminal violence than Trump supporters or Obama haters."
And you *can't* accept that, due to your illness.

Get help, Alan. Seriously. Before you hurt yourself. You're not
interacting with the world around you any more.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-14 03:12:31 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Cryptoengineer
[...]
What's your point? When have I *ever* claimed otherwise?
Post by Cryptoengineer
[I note that, in fact, Tom has *not* (yet) replied to Terry.]
But he will. And you know it.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-14 03:11:55 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
You continue to reply, like a little puppy humping my
pantleg, because you *cannot* stop yourself.
I haven't run the numbers, but I suspect that you're a more
reliable responder to Tom than he is to you.
Seeing as Kratman doesn't post in here at all other than to
take shots at Terry who gives a crap? Terry does actually
contribute to the group while he isn't trolling
He never isn't trolling. What you're describing
is bait.
Yeah. I was going to say that Kratman comes in here
SOMETIMES and posts
on-topic stuff, but nearly always in what appears to be a
deliberate attempt to start a flamewar (I say "nearly" because I
have a vague memory of one or two times he posted something that
seemed reasonable),
I'll believe it when I see a MessageID.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-14 03:11:15 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
You continue to reply, like a little puppy humping my
pantleg, because you *cannot* stop yourself.
I haven't run the numbers, but I suspect that you're a more
reliable responder to Tom than he is to you.
Seeing as Kratman doesn't post in here at all other than to
take shots at Terry who gives a crap? Terry does actually
contribute to the group while he isn't trolling
He never isn't trolling. What you're describing
is bait.
And here's Bobbie, jealous that someone else got some attention.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-14 03:10:41 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
You continue to reply, like a little puppy humping my pantleg,
because you *cannot* stop yourself.
I haven't run the numbers, but I suspect that you're a more
reliable responder to Tom than he is to you.
And? He keeps coming back, and he will continue to keep coming back,
until I allow him to stop.

You know it as well as I do.

You're not that much different, either.

Wolffan
2017-02-25 21:50:11 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Canyon is sort of Plateau in reverse - there's a canyon at the bottom
of which is breathable atmosphere.
IIRC Canyon is the result of the Wunderland Treatymaker, which ended one of
the Man-Kzin Wars. They used a Really Big Slaver digging tool on an
uninhabitable Mars-like planet and got a long, deep, narrow, hole with useful
air pressure at rhe bottom of the hole. And a peace treaty, really fast.
Greg Goss
2017-02-26 11:24:39 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by David Johnston
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Its something of a fetish of his.
Jinx is ovoid, with the poles in vacuum and the equator venus like.
(this is actually another major science error - 'tidal forces' are
alleged to make it non-spherical, but those tidal forces should affect
the atmosphere in the same way as the rock.)
Tidal forces move moons outwards. After the rock solidified, it moved
outwards, reducing the tide. I think he explains this explicitly in
one of his books.
2017-02-26 15:38:56 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by David Johnston
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Its something of a fetish of his.
Jinx is ovoid, with the poles in vacuum and the equator venus like.
(this is actually another major science error - 'tidal forces' are
alleged to make it non-spherical, but those tidal forces should affect
the atmosphere in the same way as the rock.)
According to <http://larryniven.wikia.com/wiki/Jinx>
the "East End" and "West End" are in vaccuum, and
the "East End" is always pointed towards the star,
which is called "Binary" - which sounds like an
implausibly large science error, but it also says
that people on Jinx go for puns, so it's probably
a joke that, er, goes over my head.
Cryptoengineer
2017-02-26 16:30:59 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by David Johnston
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Its something of a fetish of his.
Jinx is ovoid, with the poles in vacuum and the equator venus like.
(this is actually another major science error - 'tidal forces' are
alleged to make it non-spherical, but those tidal forces should
affect the atmosphere in the same way as the rock.)
According to <http://larryniven.wikia.com/wiki/Jinx>
the "East End" and "West End" are in vaccuum, and
the "East End" is always pointed towards the star,
which is called "Binary" - which sounds like an
implausibly large science error, but it also says
that people on Jinx go for puns, so it's probably
a joke that, er, goes over my head.
Reading that source makes things clearer. Jinx is a moon of a gas
giant, called 'Binary'. It's distorted as discussed, and like our
Moon, one end always faces the gas giant. It orbits the giant in
four days, which does allow all if it to get some sun.

2017-02-26 16:50:02 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by David Johnston
[...]
This seems to be my month for confusing planets
and stars. Better not ask me for directions...
Don Bruder
2017-02-26 01:28:48 UTC
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Jinx is only habitable in the polar regions - as I recall, it's
described as looking like an easter egg due to the band of
near-gas-giantish atmosphere in the equatorial region. Only the polar
areas are high enough so that the air is thin enough for human
habitation. (Though the bandersnatchi apparently like the equatorial
region just fine)
If the door is baroque don't be Haydn. Come around Bach and jiggle the Handel.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-02-26 03:42:13 UTC
Post by Don Bruder
Post by David Johnston
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Jinx is only habitable in the polar regions - as I recall, it's
described as looking like an easter egg due to the band of
near-gas-giantish atmosphere in the equatorial region. Only the polar
areas are high enough so that the air is thin enough for human
habitation. (Though the bandersnatchi apparently like the equatorial
region just fine)
Does The Smoke Ring count? It's kind of hard to say it's a world, and
I guess it's pretty big, but as part of its solar system would be rpetty
small.
No. The Smoke Ring is one of his Big Dumb Objects.
Don Bruder
2017-02-26 04:33:59 UTC
Post by Don Bruder
Post by David Johnston
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Jinx is only habitable in the polar regions - as I recall, it's
described as looking like an easter egg due to the band of
near-gas-giantish atmosphere in the equatorial region. Only the polar
areas are high enough so that the air is thin enough for human
habitation. (Though the bandersnatchi apparently like the equatorial
region just fine)
Does The Smoke Ring count? It's kind of hard to say it's a world, and
I guess it's pretty big, but as part of its solar system would be rpetty
small.
No. The Smoke Ring is one of his Big Dumb Objects.
I'll agree. The smoke ring isn't a world - it's a (more or less)
inhabitable torus of thicker-than-usual space.
If the door is baroque don't be Haydn. Come around Bach and jiggle the Handel.
James Nicoll
2017-02-26 14:43:34 UTC
Jinx is also somehow older than Sirius. Not sure Niven realized that at
the time.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
2017-02-26 11:31:57 UTC
Post by Don Bruder
Post by David Johnston
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Jinx is only habitable in the polar regions - as I recall, it's
described as looking like an easter egg due to the band of
near-gas-giantish atmosphere in the equatorial region. Only the polar
areas are high enough so that the air is thin enough for human
habitation. (Though the bandersnatchi apparently like the equatorial
region just fine)
The poles are in vacuum. Only the middle bands in between are
habitable.
2017-02-26 09:42:46 UTC
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Yes. Jinx's elliptical shape meant much of it, especially the poles, couldn't
be; We Made It had the 'small part' delineated by time instead of space, since
the multi-hundred-mile-per-hour deadly winds were seasonal. It was a recurring
theme - the original starprobes had a design flaw which only became apparent
later: they found a habitable POINT, not a habitable PLANET.

Also seen in The Integral Trees; sure, humans could live in the whole gas
donut wherever the O2 pressure let them, but that was only a small part of the
entire collected-gas torus, which was in turn a small part of the star's
orbital volume.

Greg Goss
2017-02-26 11:23:27 UTC
Did Larry Niven create other worlds than Plateau in which only a
comparatively small part of the world was very habitable by humans?
Jinx is mostly vacuum or crushing pressure. Silvereyes has
uninhabitable continents.
Steve Coltrin
2017-02-26 15:00:38 UTC
begin fnord
Silvereyes has uninhabitable continents.
Only during the day. Are sunflowers Roundup Ready(TM)?
--
Steve Coltrin ***@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel