Alice Grove: Teleporting !
2017-02-14 17:58:20 UTC
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344

So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?

2017-02-14 18:05:08 UTC
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344
So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?
Lynn
All the evidence so far has indicated that they are war-surplus battle
robots.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-02-14 18:08:46 UTC
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344
So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?
Lynn
All the evidence so far has indicated that they are war-surplus battle
robots.
That doesn't really make sense. Why make them humaniform? And we know that
Sedna, for one, is at least partly anatomically correct. They could be
spybots/sabateurbots I guess.
2017-02-14 18:26:30 UTC
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344
So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?
Lynn
All the evidence so far has indicated that they are war-surplus battle
robots.
That doesn't really make sense. Why make them humaniform?
I would not want my battle robots to be self-willed and feel absolutely
no sense of commonality with humanity. Besides I'm betting they were
programmed with a download of an actual human's mind.
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-02-14 19:29:23 UTC
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344
So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?
Lynn
All the evidence so far has indicated that they are war-surplus battle
robots.
That doesn't really make sense. Why make them humaniform?
I would not want my battle robots to be self-willed and feel absolutely
no sense of commonality with humanity. Besides I'm betting they were
programmed with a download of an actual human's mind.
In addition, when they were constructed (if they are robots),
they would have had to interact with all kinds of equipment
designed to be used by humans, from guns to paring knives. A
robot designed to do nothing but pare vegetables would not have
to look human, but it also would not be very versatile.
2017-02-15 00:58:01 UTC
That doesn't really make sense. Why make them humaniform?
I would not want my battle robots to be self-willed and feel absolutely
no sense of commonality with humanity. Besides I'm betting they were
programmed with a download of an actual human's mind.
Plus which, non-humaniform robots have to cope with a world in which the vast
majority of the tools are made for: humans. This can cause difficulties, even
if the non-humaniform parts are "because the human bits there are so
INEFFICIENT, why not just have a fractal branching bush on the end of a
serpentine tentacle-arm?".

Dave
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-02-15 01:09:52 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
That doesn't really make sense. Why make them humaniform?
I would not want my battle robots to be self-willed and feel absolutely
no sense of commonality with humanity. Besides I'm betting they were
programmed with a download of an actual human's mind.
Plus which, non-humaniform robots have to cope with a world in which the vast
majority of the tools are made for: humans. This can cause difficulties, even
if the non-humaniform parts are "because the human bits there are so
INEFFICIENT, why not just have a fractal branching bush on the end of a
serpentine tentacle-arm?".
Dave
OK, I used the wrong word I guess. I'm not questioning "why make
them bipedal with five fingered arms and steroptic eyes in a head?".

I'm questioning "why should they pass for human?" I mean, C3PO has all
those advantages (though he's tempermentally unsuited for almost anything..)
but nobody thought putting a skin suit on him was a good idea.
nuny@bid.nes
2017-02-15 02:24:22 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
[...]
Both are good attempts at avoiding bottoming out in the Uncanny Valley IMO. C3PO is obviously mechanical while the others are close enough to human to not be creepy. Their mannerisms and senses of humor probably help.

Mark L. Fergerson
David DeLaney
2017-02-15 06:58:40 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Plus which, non-humaniform robots have to cope with a world in which the vast
majority of the tools are made for: humans. This can cause difficulties, even
if the non-humaniform parts are "because the human bits there are so
INEFFICIENT, why not just have a fractal branching bush on the end of a
serpentine tentacle-arm?".
OK, I used the wrong word I guess. I'm not questioning "why make
them bipedal with five fingered arms and steroptic eyes in a head?".
I'm questioning "why should they pass for human?" I mean, C3PO has all
those advantages (though he's tempermentally unsuited for almost anything..)
but nobody thought putting a skin suit on him was a good idea.
Uncanny Valley issues, probably; if they DO have two arms two legs one head
maybe some fingers, eyes mouth ears? that's probably enough to put them on
the outward slope of 'creepiness' for many folks, since they're visibly NOT
human but are shaped like one. You have to get fairly close to human looks-
and-movement before it stops being creepy, it seems. (Yes, the porn industry
has been driving this research for some decades now. Doesn't mean it's not
worthwhile results...)

Dsve, why you think the net was born?
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
Juho Julkunen
2017-02-15 15:08:34 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by David DeLaney
[...]
Are you sure it's the porn industry? From what I've observed they
generally employ actual humans, though in some cases drive them towards
the uncanny valley with cosmetic enhancements.

Movies employing computer animation and video games, on the other hand,
plunged themselves into the uncanny valley over the last couple of
decades, and are trying to climb their way back up.

Disclaimer: "Uncanny Valley" is an unproven hypothesis, originally
suggested my Masahiro Mori in the field of robotics, but appears to
have some validity.
Juho Julkunen
nuny@bid.nes
2017-02-15 02:21:31 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
That doesn't really make sense. Why make them humaniform?
I would not want my battle robots to be self-willed and feel absolutely
no sense of commonality with humanity. Besides I'm betting they were
programmed with a download of an actual human's mind.
Plus which, non-humaniform robots have to cope with a world in which the vast
majority of the tools are made for: humans. This can cause difficulties, even
if the non-humaniform parts are "because the human bits there are so
INEFFICIENT, why not just have a fractal branching bush on the end of a
serpentine tentacle-arm?".
OBSF: Robert L. Forward's "Christmas Tree" robot in (IIRC) _Rocheworld_, except it was all fractals, no tentacles. It could bunch them together to exert great force but the ends subdivided finely enough for delicate surgery on microelectronics.

IMO one of the more imaginative SFnal non-humanoid 'bots ever, and I'd love to see it in a movie. Way better than the walking collections of packing crates in Interstellar.

Mark L. Fergerson
-dsr-
2017-02-21 17:20:13 UTC
Post by ***@bid.nes
Post by David DeLaney
[...]
Forward properly attributes the bush robot idea to Hans Moravec.

-dsr-

Dorothy J Heydt
2017-02-14 18:05:11 UTC
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344
So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?
Undead, is my first guess.

Correcting to be polite: the verb is spelled "breathe."
2017-02-14 18:39:11 UTC
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344
So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?
Undead, is my first guess.
Correcting to be polite: the verb is spelled "breathe."
Thanks for the correction but, I will forget. The gray matter is becoming mush.

No, they are not undead. They are robots with internal nano-machines as Sedna healed the damage from Mr. Church very quickly, just a
day or two. And she bled or maybe that was hydraulic fluid. David Johnston's idea of robots with human overlaid personalities is
very interesting.

Lynn
Anthony Nance
2017-02-15 15:58:15 UTC
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344
So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?
Undead, is my first guess.
Correcting to be polite: the verb is spelled "breathe."
Thanks for the correction but, I will forget. The gray matter is becoming mush.
No, they are not undead. They are robots with internal nano-machines as Sedna healed the damage from Mr. Church very quickly, just a
day or two. And she bled or maybe that was hydraulic fluid. David Johnston's idea of robots with human overlaid personalities is
very interesting.
I think they're enhanced humans - maybe enhanced so much that
"human" is no longer correct, but that's where they started.

Just my guess,
Tony
Gary R. Schmidt
2017-02-16 09:27:27 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344
So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?
Undead, is my first guess.
Correcting to be polite: the verb is spelled "breathe."
Thanks for the correction but, I will forget. The gray matter is becoming mush.
No, they are not undead. They are robots with internal nano-machines as Sedna healed the damage from Mr. Church very quickly, just a
day or two. And she bled or maybe that was hydraulic fluid. David Johnston's idea of robots with human overlaid personalities is
very interesting.
I think they're enhanced humans - maybe enhanced so much that
"human" is no longer correct, but that's where they started.
Just my guess,
That's my take, sort of - Alice and Sedna were "born" human and
enhanced, perhaps in utero, while Mr. Church was grown in a vat.

Cheers,
Gary B-)
--
When men talk to their friends, they insult each other.
They don't really mean it.
They don't mean it either.
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-02-16 13:45:06 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Lynn McGuire
very interesting.
I think they're enhanced humans - maybe enhanced so much that
"human" is no longer correct, but that's where they started.
Just my guess,
That's my take, sort of - Alice and Sedna were "born" human and
enhanced, perhaps in utero, while Mr. Church was grown in a vat.
But at this point, we none of us know.
Erik Trulsson
2017-02-17 13:26:24 UTC
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344
So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?
What makes you think they don't breath?
They can talk - that implies there is air to carry the sound-waves.
They are inside a spaceship - it does seem likely it is fairly airtight.
Cryptoengineer
2017-02-17 16:19:28 UTC
Post by Erik Trulsson
Post by Lynn McGuire
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344
So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?
What makes you think they don't breath?
They can talk - that implies there is air to carry the sound-waves.
They are inside a spaceship - it does seem likely it is fairly airtight.
They have chosen not wear spacesuits, which were advised for people who
need air. After all, this spaceship has sat for thousands of years without
maintenance (as have, for that matter, the spacesuits).

2017-02-17 17:45:12 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Erik Trulsson
Post by Lynn McGuire
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344
So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?
What makes you think they don't breath?
They can talk - that implies there is air to carry the sound-waves.
They are inside a spaceship - it does seem likely it is fairly airtight.
They have chosen not wear spacesuits, which were advised for people who
need air. After all, this spaceship has sat for thousands of years without
maintenance (as have, for that matter, the spacesuits).
pt
Well, that's a plot point. Blue guy did all the maintenance, and then some
by touching it.

As for Alice & Sedna, I think they *do* breathe, but don't *have to* breathe.

As for Mr. Church, who knows. He hasn't spoken, perhaps he doesn't breathe
or have vocal chords.
2017-02-17 18:04:24 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Erik Trulsson
Post by Lynn McGuire
Alice Grove: Teleporting !
http://www.alicegrove.com/image/157196848344
So Alice, Sedna, and Mr. Church do not breath. What are they ?
What makes you think they don't breath?
They can talk - that implies there is air to carry the sound-waves.
They are inside a spaceship - it does seem likely it is fairly airtight.
They have chosen not wear spacesuits, which were advised for people who
need air. After all, this spaceship has sat for thousands of years without
maintenance (as have, for that matter, the spacesuits).
They might already have spacesuits. Alice's armor could have been a
spacesuit and I wouldn't be surprised that Sedna has one stashed
wherever she keeps her guns.