idea!
2018-03-28 16:41:30 UTC
1: Manipulate the Atreides into relocating to Arrakis.
2:
3: Prophet!
2018-03-28 18:15:55 UTC
1: Manipulate the Atreides into relocating to Arrakis.
http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/pages/gallery.php
Post by James Nicoll
3: Prophet!
Juho Julkunen
2018-03-28 20:15:35 UTC
1: Manipulate the Atreides into relocating to Arrakis.
http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/pages/gallery.php
Post by James Nicoll
3: Prophet!
2: Sabotage their spice mining operations so other Great Houses
concerned for their prophets^H^H^H^H^H profits will turn a blind eye
while you take advantage of them being cut off from the power base
offered by the loyal people of their ancestral planet Caladan and
certainly unable to replace it with natives you antagonized and never
bothered to take a census of to attack and destroy them with the
clandestine support of the Padisah Emperor concerned about Duke Leto
Atreides's growing support to finally end the blood feud decades in the
making.

There may be some disadvantages to having spice-addicted Mentats in
charge of your cunning plans.
Juho Julkunen
Kevrob
2018-03-28 20:33:13 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
1: Manipulate the Atreides into relocating to Arrakis.
http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/pages/gallery.php
Post by James Nicoll
3: Prophet!
I don't think you wear underwear under a stillsuit, do you?*
Post by Juho Julkunen
2: Sabotage their spice mining operations so other Great Houses
concerned for their prophets^H^H^H^H^H profits will turn a blind eye
while you take advantage of them being cut off from the power base
offered by the loyal people of their ancestral planet Caladan and
certainly unable to replace it with natives you antagonized and never
bothered to take a census of to attack and destroy them with the
clandestine support of the Padisah Emperor concerned about Duke Leto
Atreides's growing support to finally end the blood feud decades in the
making.
There may be some disadvantages to having spice-addicted Mentats in
charge of your cunning plans.
Kevin R

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomes_(South_Park)
Juho Julkunen
2018-03-28 22:33:17 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
3: Prophet!
I don't think you wear underwear under a stillsuit, do you?*
"Presently he straightened, peeled off and detached the suit, handed it
carefully into the crowd. He stood waiting, clad in loincloth and some
tight fabric over his feet, a crysknife in his right hand."

"Paul stood alone now just into the ring, clad in the fighting trunks
he'd worn under his stillsuit."

It seems there are no underpants gnomes on Arrakis, or they are very
selective.
Juho Julkunen
J. Clarke
2018-03-29 01:20:40 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
3: Prophet!
I don't think you wear underwear under a stillsuit, do you?*
"Presently he straightened, peeled off and detached the suit, handed it
carefully into the crowd. He stood waiting, clad in loincloth and some
tight fabric over his feet, a crysknife in his right hand."
"Paul stood alone now just into the ring, clad in the fighting trunks
he'd worn under his stillsuit."
It seems there are no underpants gnomes on Arrakis, or they are very
selective.
One wonders how he hooked up to the suit's plumbing. And if the
"fighting trunks" had the necessary openings then what's the point of
wearing them at all?
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-03-29 04:29:57 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
3: Prophet!
I don't think you wear underwear under a stillsuit, do you?*
"Presently he straightened, peeled off and detached the suit, handed it
carefully into the crowd. He stood waiting, clad in loincloth and some
tight fabric over his feet, a crysknife in his right hand."
"Paul stood alone now just into the ring, clad in the fighting trunks
he'd worn under his stillsuit."
It seems there are no underpants gnomes on Arrakis, or they are very
selective.
One wonders how he hooked up to the suit's plumbing. And if the
"fighting trunks" had the necessary openings then what's the point of
wearing them at all?
Absorbing sweat?
That's what the stillsuit was supposed to do.
No trunks, no sale of movie rights. Or, only for a "special" audience.
Kevrob
2018-03-30 21:25:38 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
3: Prophet!
I don't think you wear underwear under a stillsuit, do you?*
"Presently he straightened, peeled off and detached the suit, handed it
carefully into the crowd. He stood waiting, clad in loincloth and some
tight fabric over his feet, a crysknife in his right hand."
"Paul stood alone now just into the ring, clad in the fighting trunks
he'd worn under his stillsuit."
It seems there are no underpants gnomes on Arrakis, or they are very
selective.
One wonders how he hooked up to the suit's plumbing. And if the
"fighting trunks" had the necessary openings then what's the point of
wearing them at all?
No trunks, no sale of movie rights. Or, only for a "special" audience.
It'd have to have a catheter, or equivalent, too? Or, the trunks
are a version of Depends, made of urine-wicking fabric, that the
suit can absorb moisture from, and reprocess?

2018-03-30 22:27:25 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
It's an incredibly dry world, I don't actually remember if they pee.

Sailors on Earth used to drink theirs when the water ran out.
Referred to in "Blackadder II".
Juho Julkunen
2018-03-31 00:02:31 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
Not in this exact scene, but I'm linking it anyway:

Mostly because it's one of my all time favourite comedy bits and I'll
take any excuse to link it.

There's not too many sailors of Dune, but they do drink their
(recycled) pee there. If the catheters are long enough, perhaps they
can be threded through the trunks legs?
Juho Julkunen
Jerry Brown
2018-03-31 07:18:25 UTC
http://youtu.be/_EfW9znJYjw
Mostly because it's one of my all time favourite comedy bits and I'll
take any excuse to link it.
Tom Baker's most, er, vivid performance since leaving Doctor Who.

Captain Rum didn't have a problem with drinking his, and, in fact,
started before the water ran out.
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Robert Carnegie
2018-04-01 03:24:55 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
Tom Baker is usually a vivid experience, even in real life.
Before being the voice of "Little Britain", I think, he participated
in this: <http://www.angelfire.com/pq/radiohaha/NIMROD.html>
_Lionel Nimrod's Inexplicable World_ - mostly just by introducing
what otherwise is quite a childish comedy show on the theme of
weird stuff, in the character of "Lionel Nimrod", an actor whose
life after playing the alien crew member in "Star Ark" was not
entirely what one would wish - possibly due to a gypsy's curse,
substance abuse, sub-clinical schizophrenia, or all of the above.
How much of this Tom Baker or L*on*** Nim** actually underwent
had better remain unclear. :-)
Jerry Brown
2018-04-01 06:45:32 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
Cheers. Something new to search for.
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Johnny1A
2018-04-03 00:23:41 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
They do, but the Fremen have gradually adapted to do it somewhat less. Still, they're human, and they have to use the stillsuits to capture that moisture, just like the sweat, the moisture in their breath, everything.

Later on, in _God-Emperor of Dune_, Leto II notes that Siona Atreides never learned stillsuit-discipline, she leaves the face-mask unattached simply so she can argue with Leto, and looses enough moisture that way to trap herself into having to play his game. Talking in a waste of moisture in the Desert of Dune.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-03-31 00:10:04 UTC
On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 14:15:15 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Post by Juho Julkunen
"Presently he straightened, peeled off and detached the suit, handed it
carefully into the crowd. He stood waiting, clad in loincloth and some
tight fabric over his feet, a crysknife in his right hand."
"Paul stood alone now just into the ring, clad in the fighting trunks
he'd worn under his stillsuit."
It seems there are no underpants gnomes on Arrakis, or they are very
selective.
One wonders how he hooked up to the suit's plumbing. And if the
"fighting trunks" had the necessary openings then what's the point of
wearing them at all?
No trunks, no sale of movie rights. Or, only for a "special" audience.
Sting playing Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen expected to do his steam-shower
scene naked, but was required to wear those amazing winged trunks
instead. So he played Feyd in the manner of someone who'd choose to wear
those trunks.

Pretty special, I'd say.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I have an asteroid named after me. Isaac Asimov's got one too.
It's smaller and more eccentric." -- Arthur C. Clarke
J. Clarke
2018-03-31 00:54:14 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
3: Prophet!
I don't think you wear underwear under a stillsuit, do you?*
"Presently he straightened, peeled off and detached the suit, handed it
carefully into the crowd. He stood waiting, clad in loincloth and some
tight fabric over his feet, a crysknife in his right hand."
"Paul stood alone now just into the ring, clad in the fighting trunks
he'd worn under his stillsuit."
It seems there are no underpants gnomes on Arrakis, or they are very
selective.
One wonders how he hooked up to the suit's plumbing. And if the
"fighting trunks" had the necessary openings then what's the point of
wearing them at all?
No trunks, no sale of movie rights. Or, only for a "special" audience.
John Carter didn't wear trunks in the novels. Didn't prevent sale of
the movie rights.
Joy Beeson
2018-03-31 23:17:11 UTC
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 21:20:40 -0400, J. Clarke
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Juho Julkunen
"Paul stood alone now just into the ring, clad in the fighting trunks
he'd worn under his stillsuit."
It seems there are no underpants gnomes on Arrakis, or they are very
selective.
One wonders how he hooked up to the suit's plumbing. And if the
"fighting trunks" had the necessary openings then what's the point of
wearing them at all?
The quote clearly states that Paul got dressed for the fight, then put
his stillsuit on over his fighting trunks, the way twentieth-century
boxers wore robes into the ring.
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
Johnny1A
2018-04-03 00:21:09 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
3: Prophet!
2: Sabotage their spice mining operations so other Great Houses
concerned for their prophets^H^H^H^H^H profits will turn a blind eye
while you take advantage of them being cut off from the power base
offered by the loyal people of their ancestral planet Caladan and
certainly unable to replace it with natives you antagonized and never
bothered to take a census of to attack and destroy them with the
clandestine support of the Padisah Emperor concerned about Duke Leto
Atreides's growing support to finally end the blood feud decades in the
making.
There may be some disadvantages to having spice-addicted Mentats in
charge of your cunning plans.
--
Juho Julkunen
The entire Empire, by that point, _was_ more-or-less a decadent, complexity-addicted, rotten structure, from the Throne down. That's part of why the whole sequence of events plays out as it does, the Bene Gesserit even know it's happening (though they are also caught up in the decadence and complexity-addiction).

From the Emperor's POV, the plot actually makes a lot of sense, in the complexity-addict mindset of the age. He wants, in fact he thinks he _needs_, to take down the threat represented by Leto I.

Why is Leto I a threat? Well, partly because he's not quite as complexity-addicted as the rest of the nobles, not quite as decadent, and that makes them nervous. Partly because Leto was just a little too popular with the commoners. Partly because he had trained up a fighting force that was a little too loyal and capable. Even if Leto I had no personal ambitions against the throne, he was starting to look like a _potential_ rival for power, and the Corrinos had not stayed in power for millennia by letting that sort of thing grow and metastasize. Best to nip it in the bud.

It wasn't personal, Shaddam wasn't angry at Leto for anything Leto personally had done or not done. 'It was business.'

But how? The easy way is the direct approach, crush them with the Sardaukar. But that would alarm the other Great Houses. If the Atreides today, why not them tomorrow? So he needs an excuse, but Leto isn't going to give him one and Shaddam IV knows that.

So, the deal with Vladimir Harkonnen. Manipulate the Atreides into Arrakis, which looks like the most tempting fiefdom possible and is a trap. Count on Leto's personal honor making him walk into the trap that he knows is there, hoping to evade or disarm it. Put your Sardaukar in Harkonnen livery, let a fake pretext be used to strike, wipe out the Atreides threat and even if the other Houses suspect _something_, they won't know enough to risk upsetting the applecart and their incomes. Plus you make the Harkonnen's dependent on you for their part in the scheme. If it ever comes out, the Emperor is shocked, shocked, at what Vladimir tricked him into doing...

The Fremen? They've been a nuisance for centuries, never caused any big trouble before, how _could_ they cause any big trouble now? They're so insular and paranoid that they kill any outsiders that come into contact with their core tribes anyway.

And to be fair to Shaddam, normally all that would have been true. He and Vladimir had no way to know about the BG's religious-engineering 'bolt hole' that Jessica and Paul used to join the Fremen. Nor did they take faith seriously enough to understand its motivating power, in their old, tired, decadent society, they'd never seen what religion could motivate when ignited under the right conditions, which hadn't happened for millennia.

So when the explosion happened, the direct-approach Fremen erupted against a decadent society whose idea of 'action' was a ten-layer, multiple-feint, intricately subtle maneuver playing out over months or years. That was suddenly faced with an army whose idea of action was 'submit or die', and prepared to act on it immediately, and who were impossible to intimidate because they just didn't care that much if they lived or died.

The Fremen eruption was something entirely out of the experience of the Empire, something of the sort that had not happened for many, many generations. From their POV, it did look like somewhere in the chain of events, a malign miracle happened.
Quadibloc
2018-03-30 22:14:13 UTC
http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/pages/gallery.php
I figured the more explicit version would be

2: (dramatic pause)

John Savard
Steve Coltrin
2018-03-29 00:39:08 UTC
begin fnord
Post by James Nicoll
1: Manipulate the Atreides into relocating to Arrakis.
3: Prophet!
Stilgar, do we have dad joke sign?
--
Steve Coltrin ***@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel
- Associated Press
Juho Julkunen
2018-03-29 00:54:29 UTC
In article <***@kelutral.omcl.org>, ***@omcl.org
says...
Post by Steve Coltrin
begin fnord
Post by James Nicoll
1: Manipulate the Atreides into relocating to Arrakis.
3: Prophet!
Stilgar, do we have dad joke sign?
Usul, we have dad joke sign the likes of which even God has never seen.
Juho Julkunen
Gene Wirchenko
2018-03-29 01:14:54 UTC
1: Manipulate the Atreides into relocating to Arrakis.
3: Prophet!
BANG!

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
David DeLaney
2018-04-02 08:53:50 UTC
1: Manipulate the Atreides into relocating to Arrakis.
3: Prophet!
My research has discovered that step 2 is always eBay.

Dave, this may take longer without an actual Internet available
Dan Tilque
2018-04-05 14:00:15 UTC
1: Manipulate the Atreides into relocating to Arrakis.
3: Prophet!
I made the same joke in a different context here:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=823148
(post 32, in reply to post 21)

It's possible this was my internet apotheosis.
--
Dan Tilque