_Emergence_ by David R. Palmer
2018-05-15 00:18:06 UTC
_Emergence_ by David R. Palmer
https://www.amazon.com/Emergence-David-R-Palmer/dp/0553245015/

Book number one of a two book apocalyptic series. There are rumors of a
third book in the series. I reread the MMPB that I purchased in 1985,
one of my few books that survived The Great Flood of 1989. It may be
yellowed and the back broken in three places but it is still very readable.

The second book, _Tracking_ was serialized in _Analog_ in 2008. I would
love to get a copy of this book.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.sf.written/mKHdP2vfEi4

Somewhere in the very late 1800s or early 1900s, the human race forked.
The new race, Homo Post Hominem, was immune to all human diseases,
faster, stronger, smarter, etc. And, the new race traits were dominant
in breeding.

Candy Foster-Smith is a precocious 11 year old girl who was adopted by
Dr. and Mrs. Foster after her parents were killed in a car wreck. She
is one of the few survivors of a planet wide bionuclear war in the late
1900s. The book is her diary of surviving the war. And, she is one of
the several thousand Homo Post Hominems on the Earth.

Candy does have a retarded, adoptive twin brother, Terry D. Foster, who
also survived the bionuclear war. D is for Dactyll. Terry is a 36 inch
tall Hyacinthine Macaw who adores Candy and follows her everywhere.

While the book was written using 1980s technology with typewriters and
such, it is not hard to gloss over. True, the world has significantly
changed since then but, people are still the same.

BTW, to quote Jon Schild's and Kurt Busiek's 2008 conversation on the
availability of the _Emergence_ book:

"> Since the original post quoted above, I have looked for _Emergence_ but
failed to find it. Any hints?"
"No idea. There are copies for sale at Amazon, but they're frickin'
expensive."

"You can't have mine; I stole it from the Scott Meredith Literary Agency
fair and square."

You cannot have my copy either. I paid $3.50 for it somewhere in 1985.
However, the Amazon used book price is $50.61.

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (80 reviews)

2018-05-15 00:27:26 UTC
_Emergence_ by David R. Palmer
https://www.amazon.com/Emergence-David-R-Palmer/dp/0553245015/
Book number one of a two book apocalyptic series. There are rumors of a
third book in the series. I reread the MMPB that I purchased in 1985,
one of my few books that survived The Great Flood of 1989. It may be
yellowed and the back broken in three places but it is still very readable.
Somewhere in the very late 1800s or early 1900s, the human race forked.
The new race, Homo Post Hominem, was immune to all human diseases,
faster, stronger, smarter, etc. And, the new race traits were dominant
in breeding.
Ok, this is alt-hist, right?
Post by Lynn McGuire
Candy Foster-Smith is a precocious 11 year old girl who was adopted by
Dr. and Mrs. Foster after her parents were killed in a car wreck. She
is one of the few survivors of a planet wide bionuclear war in the late
1900s.
This is *definitely* alt-hist, right?

Post by Lynn McGuire
the several thousand Homo Post Hominems on the Earth.
Latinate nit-picking: that should be Homines Post Hominem.
2018-05-15 04:42:40 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
the several thousand Homo Post Hominems on the Earth.
Latinate nit-picking: that should be Homines Post Hominem.
Yes, it is now alt-hist. When first published in 1984, no.

And I carefully posted the species name that the author wrote so any
error is on him.

Lynn
Bill Gill
2018-05-15 13:28:30 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
the several thousand Homo Post Hominems on the Earth.
Latinate nit-picking: that should be Homines Post Hominem.
Yes, it is now alt-hist.  When first published in 1984, no.
And I carefully posted the species name that the author wrote so any
error is on him.
Lynn
Minor correction. They were Homo post hominem. The rules
state that the Genus is capitalized and the species is lower case.
It is probably not correct according to the rules of nomenclature,
but Palmer did get that part correct.

Bill
Bill Gill
2018-05-15 13:23:32 UTC
[...]
$50! That's insane. Although I have found some other books
that I might like to have that have even more insane prices.
And no they can't have my copy either, I bought it new about same
time as Lynn. I plan to keep it.

Bill
Bice
2018-05-15 15:32:16 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Lynn McGuire
_Emergence_ by David R. Palmer
https://www.amazon.com/Emergence-David-R-Palmer/dp/0553245015/
You cannot have my copy either. I paid $3.50 for it somewhere in 1985.
However, the Amazon used book price is $50.61.
$50! That's insane.
Over the weekend, I was checking some local used book stores that have
their catalogs on-line, and I almost choked on my coffee when I saw
this:

http://www.sauconybookshop.com/?page=shop/browse&offset=95&category_id=86

$1,195 for a first edition copy of Stranger in a Strange Land.

They have a bunch of other books in the multi-hundred dollar range
too. I'm thinking they're just hoping for a sci-fi fan with more money
than sense to come in some day and set them up for retirement.

-- Bob
Ahasuerus
2018-05-15 15:49:32 UTC
Post by Bice
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Lynn McGuire
_Emergence_ by David R. Palmer
https://www.amazon.com/Emergence-David-R-Palmer/dp/0553245015/
You cannot have my copy either. I paid $3.50 for it somewhere in 1985.
However, the Amazon used book price is $50.61.
$50! That's insane.
Over the weekend, I was checking some local used book stores that have
their catalogs on-line, and I almost choked on my coffee when I saw
http://www.sauconybookshop.com/?page=shop/browse&offset=95&category_id=86
$1,195 for a first edition copy of Stranger in a Strange Land.
They have a bunch of other books in the multi-hundred dollar range
too. I'm thinking they're just hoping for a sci-fi fan with more money
than sense to come in some day and set them up for retirement.
A lot depends on the condition. A nice copy may go for a lot more, e.g.
see
https://www.biblio.com/book/stranger-strange-land-heinlein-robert/d/928700803
-- $7,200.
Scott Lurndal
2018-05-15 16:11:57 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Bice
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Wow! I have one of these, with dustjacket.

However, the actual price isn't set until it's sold.
J. Clarke
2018-05-15 23:09:11 UTC
On Tue, 15 May 2018 08:49:32 -0700 (PDT), Ahasuerus
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Bice
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
It remains to be seen whether it actually _goes_ for that price or if
the seller is engaging in wishful thinking.
William Hyde
2018-05-15 19:21:30 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Not at all. For decades I tried to buy "The Lydian Baker" by David Wishart. Amazon never listed the paperback for less than $310. Now that's insane.

I got a hardback copy from a British Library sale for about 10 pounds.

Mind you, my second year textbook "Statistical Physics" by Reif was listed for $610, just under a hundred times my cost. While "Rings and Radicals" a slim book of mathematics by Nathan Divinsky, which I bought for 98 cents sold for $75 - someone in this group offered to pay me more for my copy. So in nonfiction things may be even worse.

Post by Bill Gill
that I might like to have that have even more insane prices.
And no they can't have my copy either, I bought it new about same
time as Lynn. I plan to keep it.
Alas, I let someone borrow my copy, and it's never been seen since.

William Hyde
Ahasuerus
2018-05-15 20:01:39 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
https://www.biblio.com/book/emergence-palmer-david-r/d/975231824?aid=aa&t=1
-- $12 plus shipping for a reading copy in "fair" condition: "Top edge
of back cover torn off, chipping, creases".
Lynn McGuire
2018-05-15 23:39:01 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Bill Gill
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
An enterprising individual might buy it and offer it for sale on Big
River for $49.

2018-05-23 00:04:27 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Lynn McGuire
_Emergence_ by David R. Palmer
     https://www.amazon.com/Emergence-David-R-Palmer/dp/0553245015/
Book number one of a two book apocalyptic series.  There are rumors of a
third book in the series.  I reread the MMPB that I purchased in 1985,
one of my few books that survived The Great Flood of 1989.  It may be
yellowed and the back broken in three places but it is still very readable.
The second book, _Tracking_ was serialized in _Analog_ in 2008.  I would
love to get a copy of this book.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.arts.sf.written/mKHdP2vfEi4
Somewhere in the very late 1800s or early 1900s, the human race forked.
The new race, Homo Post Hominem, was immune to all human diseases,
faster, stronger, smarter, etc.  And, the new race traits were dominant
in breeding.
Candy Foster-Smith is a precocious 11 year old girl who was adopted by
Dr. and Mrs. Foster after her parents were killed in a car wreck.  She
is one of the few survivors of a planet wide bionuclear war in the late
1900s.  The book is her diary of surviving the war.  And, she is one of
the several thousand Homo Post Hominems on the Earth.
Candy does have a retarded, adoptive twin brother, Terry D. Foster, who
also survived the bionuclear war.  D is for Dactyll.  Terry is a 36 inch
tall Hyacinthine Macaw who adores Candy and follows her everywhere.
While the book was written using 1980s technology with typewriters and
such, it is not hard to gloss over.  True, the world has significantly
changed since then but, people are still the same.
BTW, to quote Jon Schild's and Kurt Busiek's 2008 conversation on the
"> Since the original post quoted above, I have looked for
_Emergence_ but
  > failed to find it. Any hints?"
"No idea.  There are copies for sale at Amazon, but they're frickin'
expensive."
"You can't have mine; I stole it from the Scott Meredith Literary Agency
fair and square."
You cannot have my copy either.  I paid $3.50 for it somewhere in 1985.
However, the Amazon used book price is $50.61.
My rating:  5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating:  4.4 out of 5 stars (80 reviews)
$50!  That's insane.  Although I have found some other books
that I might like to have that have even more insane prices.
And no they can't have my copy either, I bought it new about same
time as Lynn.  I plan to keep it.
https://www.biblio.com/book/emergence-palmer-david-r/d/975231824?aid=aa&t=1
-- $12 plus shipping for a reading copy in "fair" condition: "Top edge
of back cover torn off, chipping, creases".
An enterprising individual might buy it and offer it for sale on Big
River for $49.
Lynn
Looks like someone bought it and offered it on Big River for $12.16.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0553245015/