[Because My Years Are Delicious To You] Another Look at Atlantis by Willy Ley
James Nicoll
2018-01-07 15:30:06 UTC
Another Look at Atlantis and Fifteen Other Essays by Willy Ley

http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/the-bright-blessed-day
Jack Bohn
2018-01-08 00:28:41 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Another Look at Atlantis and Fifteen Other Essays by Willy Ley
A Ley enthusiast. This book and _On the Earth and In the Sky_ were at the library. A generalist, but you can tell he had a lot of love for zoology. I can only guess he made most of his money as a "noted rocket and space travel authority" in the '50s in magazines, books, and even a model kit line:

http://fantastic-plastic.com/willy-ley-passenger-rocket-by-monogram.html
http://fantastic-plastic.com/willy-ley-orbital-rocket-by-monogram.html
http://fantastic-plastic.com/willey-ley-space-taxi-by-monogram.html

Here's Horace L. Gold's son with a funny story about his accent, and how to pronounce his name:

-Jack
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-01-08 01:20:33 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by James Nicoll
Another Look at Atlantis and Fifteen Other Essays by Willy Ley
A Ley enthusiast. This book and _On the Earth and In the Sky_ were at
the library. A generalist, but you can tell he had a lot of love for
zoology. I can only guess he made most of his money as a "noted rocket
and space travel authority" in the '50s in magazines, books, and even a
http://fantastic-plastic.com/willy-ley-passenger-rocket-by-monogram.html
http://fantastic-plastic.com/willy-ley-orbital-rocket-by-monogram.html
http://fantastic-plastic.com/willey-ley-space-taxi-by-monogram.html
I looked at the review, and I'm fairly sure some of those essays
appeared in _Galaxy_, because I read them there.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
djheydt at gmail dot com
James Nicoll
2018-01-08 03:59:17 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by James Nicoll
Another Look at Atlantis and Fifteen Other Essays by Willy Ley
A Ley enthusiast. This book and _On the Earth and In the Sky_ were at
the library. A generalist, but you can tell he had a lot of love for
zoology. I can only guess he made most of his money as a "noted rocket
and space travel authority" in the '50s in magazines, books, and even a
http://fantastic-plastic.com/willy-ley-passenger-rocket-by-monogram.html
http://fantastic-plastic.com/willy-ley-orbital-rocket-by-monogram.html
http://fantastic-plastic.com/willey-ley-space-taxi-by-monogram.html
I looked at the review, and I'm fairly sure some of those essays
appeared in _Galaxy_, because I read them there.
Yeah, I appear to have been wrong.
Carl Fink
2018-01-08 02:32:34 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
A Ley enthusiast. This book and _On the Earth and In the Sky_ were at the
library. A generalist, but you can tell he had a lot of love for zoology.
I can only guess he made most of his money as a "noted rocket and space
travel authority" in the '50s in magazines, books, and even a model kit
I'm another big Ley fan. My mom owned a copy of his *Rockets, Missiles, and
Space Travel*. I think that book taught me at least the beginnings of what
physics as a discipline is. (I later majored in physics before getting my
bio degree.) I also loved its later update, *Rockets, Missiles, and Men in
Space*. I'd pay my own money to get a current RM&MIS version printed, maybe
with post-Ley material written by Chris Hadfield or someone.

For those who don't know, Ley was actually an early liquid-fuel rocket
researcher, but when he fled the Nazis he didn't get any rocketry work and
ended up as a writer.
--
Carl Fink ***@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!