Garfield July 8
Add Reply
p***@hotmail.com
2018-07-11 04:36:48 UTC
I am reminded of Christopher Anvil's _The Gentle Earth_:

https://garfield.com/comic/2018/07/08

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-07-11 05:05:57 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
https://garfield.com/comic/2018/07/08
Hal noticed that too, and called it a reverse of Clement's
_Iceworld._
2018-07-11 11:30:25 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
https://garfield.com/comic/2018/07/08
Hal noticed that too, and called it a reverse of Clement's
_Iceworld._
The "welcome to my website" word balloon ought to credit
"Zippy The Pinhead's" Bil Griffith.

[quote]

Even if you’ve never seen a Zippy strip — it appears in almost 200
newspapers — you probably have heard or even repeated his best-
known contribution to the English language:

“Are we having fun yet?”

That’s right — Zippy said it first, way back in 1979. Look it up in
Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations. Now it’s on bumper sticker, in headlines,
on T-shirts . . . all without enriching Griffith by one dime.

"The only time it annoys me," he says, "is when it’s another cartoon
character saying it. Like I saw it on a Garfield mug. Then I saw Dennis
the Menace saying it. And the worst of all was a Ziggy T-shirt. That rankled
for a few minutes."

[/quote]

https://mrmedia.com/2007/07/bill-griffith-zippy-the-pinhead-cartoonist-mr-media-interview-classic-1997/

2018-07-11 20:12:40 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
https://garfield.com/comic/2018/07/08
Hal noticed that too, and called it a reverse of Clement's
_Iceworld._
I had to click on an alarmingly peremptory "SUBMIT!"
button. I wonder what I just submitted to.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-07-11 20:18:04 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
https://garfield.com/comic/2018/07/08
Hal noticed that too, and called it a reverse of Clement's
_Iceworld._
I had to click on an alarmingly peremptory "SUBMIT!"
button. I wonder what I just submitted to.
Acknowledging that you are not a dog, IIRC.
2018-07-11 21:00:12 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
https://garfield.com/comic/2018/07/08
Hal noticed that too, and called it a reverse of Clement's
_Iceworld._
I had to click on an alarmingly peremptory "SUBMIT!"
button. I wonder what I just submitted to.
Acknowledging that you are not a dog, IIRC.
That's what it said - but - ?

The other day I noticed in the terms of Dictionary.com
that you (now) have to be 16 to use it. Hmm.

The COPPA law some years ago made it so difficult to handle
user accounts of children under 13 legally, that most sites
just set 13 as the lower age limit.

Basically Dictionary.com just tells you what words mean.
Maybe that' what is dangerous.

They also produce examples apparently by an automatic
search of web pages, which is amusing if a term's common
application is not its dictionary meaning - like Apple.