[Spoilers] I Just Read Two Randall Garrett Short Stores
2017-04-03 17:28:38 UTC
Yeah it may be pointless to give a spoiler warning for discussion of 60
year old stories but they are obscure so there it is. You can download
them from Gutenberg and come back if you feel like it. I'm not going to
rot-13.

One of the stories was The Man Who Hated Mars. The other one wasn't.
Except it kind of was. You see the thing is, both them have someone who
comes up with a plan to escape their life of toil, suffering and being
an outcaste and the Twilight Zonish ending is "Well this plan was
obviously never going to work". A guy who has lived on Mars for 15
years isn't going to be able to go back to Earth and go uncaught. We're
all gravity's bitch. And yeah saw that coming. It makes me wonder
though...how many other "hope is futile" stories did Randall Garrett
write that didn't make it onto Gutenberg?
Butch Malahide
2017-04-04 01:10:28 UTC
Yeah it may be pointless to give a spoiler warning for discussion of 60
year old stories but they are obscure so there it is. You can download
them from Gutenberg and come back if you feel like it. I'm not going to
rot-13.
One of the stories was The Man Who Hated Mars. The other one wasn't.
Except it kind of was. You see the thing is, both them have someone who
comes up with a plan to escape their life of toil, suffering and being
an outcaste and the Twilight Zonish ending is "Well this plan was
obviously never going to work". A guy who has lived on Mars for 15
years isn't going to be able to go back to Earth and go uncaught. We're
all gravity's bitch. And yeah saw that coming. It makes me wonder
though...how many other "hope is futile" stories did Randall Garrett
write that didn't make it onto Gutenberg?
OK, guess I'll download them from Project Gutenberg. "The Man Who Hated Mars"
and ... what did you say the other one was? There are 25 Randall Garrett yarns
at Project Gutenberg.
David Johnston
But I Don't Think
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-04-04 05:08:55 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Post by David Johnston
[...]
I have read that one; can't remember what it's about.
2017-04-04 05:59:47 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Post by David Johnston
[...]
In an interstellar empire dominated by an abusive caste system with a
Klingon-like fondness for torture a "Guesser", a starship gunnery
officer with limited psychic powers finds himself stranded and accused
of desertion but offered a part in a scheme to escape to the evil
empire's enemies.
Don Kuenz
2017-04-04 13:28:54 UTC
Yeah it may be pointless to give a spoiler warning for discussion of 60
year old stories but they are obscure so there it is. You can download
them from Gutenberg and come back if you feel like it. I'm not going to
rot-13.
One of the stories was The Man Who Hated Mars. The other one wasn't.
Except it kind of was. You see the thing is, both them have someone who
comes up with a plan to escape their life of toil, suffering and being
an outcaste and the Twilight Zonish ending is "Well this plan was
obviously never going to work". A guy who has lived on Mars for 15
years isn't going to be able to go back to Earth and go uncaught. We're
all gravity's bitch. And yeah saw that coming. It makes me wonder
though...how many other "hope is futile" stories did Randall Garrett
write that didn't make it onto Gutenberg?
"Breakfast at Twilight" (PKD) also works as an original _Twilight Zone_
episode. Tim and Mary McLean live in a nice 1950s era suburban tract
house with their two children Earl and Virginia. One day the McLean
family wakes up and opens their front door to a heavy fog with a
squadron of soldiers looming in it. A sinister fog that threatens in the
same manner as the gray ash in "Adjustment Team" (PKD).

The McLeans and the soldiers come to realize that during the night their
house was catapulted seven years into the future. An dystopian future
filled with eternal war.

"How did the war begin?" Mary asked faintly.
"Begin? It didn't begin. You remember. There was war seven
years ago."
"The real war. This."
"There wasn't any point when it became - this. We fought in
Korea. We fought China. In Germany and Yugoslavia and Iran. It
spread, farther and farther. Finally the bombs were falling
here. It came like the plague. The war /grew/. It didn't begin."

The soldiers tell Tim that he'll be drafted into service, while Mary and
the kids will be sent below to work in a subterranean factory. Unless
the McLean's can think of an alternative.

Don Kuenz KB7RPU