The Awesomely Precocious Childhood Adventures of...
Bo Lindbergh
2017-03-01 16:06:00 UTC
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.

* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.

What other examples are there?

/Bo Lindbergh
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-03-01 16:45:03 UTC
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
What other examples are there?
"Young Doctor Eszterhazy" by Avram Davidson
Carl Fink
2017-03-01 17:42:10 UTC
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
George Lucas, *Star Wars Episode 1: The Phanom Menace*.
--
Carl Fink ***@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!
Anthony Nance
2017-03-01 17:55:32 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
George Lucas, *Star Wars Episode 1: The Phanom Menace*.
My very first thought! And -- alas -- so far, my only thought.
- Tony
Steve Coltrin
2017-03-01 19:20:34 UTC
begin fnord
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
George Lucas, *Star Wars Episode 1: The Phanom Menace*.
Thread's over, folks.
--
Steve Coltrin ***@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel
- Associated Press
Kevrob
2017-03-01 21:25:14 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
begin fnord
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
George Lucas, *Star Wars Episode 1: The Phanom Menace*.
Thread's over, folks.
Nah: dead horse time.

Spielberg's "Young Indiana Jones."

Fox TV's "Gotham."

"Harry Potter and the Kindergarten of Doom"

OK, that's not real...... yet.

2017-03-01 21:36:18 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
begin fnord
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
George Lucas, *Star Wars Episode 1: The Phanom Menace*.
Thread's over, folks.
Nah: dead horse time.
Spielberg's "Young Indiana Jones."
Fox TV's "Gotham."
"Harry Potter and the Kindergarten of Doom"
OK, that's not real...... yet.
Kevin R
Well, if you're going to bring in comic books, then Superboy & Wonder Girl
naturally (yes, it's "complicated" now)
2017-03-01 23:51:44 UTC
Post by Steve Coltrin
begin fnord
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
George Lucas, *Star Wars Episode 1: The Phanom Menace*.
Thread's over, folks.
Nah: dead horse time.
Spielberg's "Young Indiana Jones."
Fox TV's "Gotham."
"Harry Potter and the Kindergarten of Doom"
OK, that's not real...... yet.
Kevin R
Well, if you're going to bring in comic books, then Superboy & Wonder Girl
naturally (yes, it's "complicated" now)
It's worse than complicated. When Jerry Siegel proposed a
"Superboy" strip to his editors, it was pooh-poohed. JS wanted
to focus on boyish pranks, fueled by super powers. Over at
Fawcett, France Herron and his staff had been making money with
Captain Marvel Jr since 1941. DC snuck Superboy into the back
pages of MORE FUN COMICS (edited by sf fan and ex-sf pulp editor
Mort Weisinger) in 1945, when Siegel was in Army green. That's
one way to avoid paying for an idea. There was a lawsuit, Siegel
& Shuster won a little money, but in doing so were exiled from
their real brainchild, the MAN of Tomorrow. So, while the author
may have been in love with the character, it was the publisher
who blocked it, up until such time as the author could be cut
off from the Niagara of dimes that resulted from the brand
extension.

I sometimes wonder how much fun a "L'il Spectre" strip
would have been. Hey, it worked for Archie Andrews!

Wonder Girl is just confusion. Bob Haney,* using her in a
"Teen Titans" story, had "forgotten" that all the Wonder Family
stories were "imaginary" or "Impossible Tales." (Alan Moore:
Aren't they all?) In-story, they were edited film simulations of
Princess Diana at various ages, with her Mom, Hippolyta the
Queen of the Amazons, having adventures and stuff. Magic Amazonian
Home Movies, years before Photoshop.

When WG was treated as an independent character, it was
brand extension by accident and maybe negligence.

Kevin R

* Bob Haney, the long-time scripter of the team-up book,
"The Brave & The Bold," especially when Batman was installed
as the permanent co-star, had no regard for comics fans'
love of tight, issue-to-issue plot continuity. If he, or
his co-conspirator, editor Murray Boltinoff, wanted to team
Batman and Wildcat, and set the story in the modern day on the
"Earth-One" of the Justice League, rather than in WWII on the
"Earth-Two" of the Justice Society, they would. `Cause it
was fun, and `cause Jim Aparo drew a wicked Wildcat, and
especially because it sold.

http://guttertalkcomicsblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-glory-days-of-brave-and-bold-bob.html

Comics fans dreamed up "Earth-B" as a DC parallel world where
all Boltinoff-edited stories that violated the sacred ghod
Continuity took place.
David Johnston
2017-03-02 00:08:20 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
George Lucas, *Star Wars Episode 1: The Phanom Menace*.
Yeeeeah. Part of the problem was that George Lucas didn't love Darth
Vader. That's why other people in things like the Clone Wars cartoons
did a much better Anakin than he did.
Robert Carnegie
Jesus... naw, that's not nice. So, Hercules.
Kevrob
2017-03-01 22:20:31 UTC
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
What other examples are there?
/Bo Lindbergh
Jesus... naw, that's not nice.
Legend of "St" Christopher?
Post by Robert Carnegie
So, Hercules.
Oh, yes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Hercules

Something to do between "Mickey Mouse Club" and
"La La Land?"

Hey, "Muppet Babies!"

2017-03-02 03:43:04 UTC
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
What other examples are there?
/Bo Lindbergh
Jesus... naw, that's not nice.
Legend of "St" Christopher?
Post by Robert Carnegie
So, Hercules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Hercules
Well, I was thinking - confusedly and with exaggeration - of,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracles#Birth_and_childhood>

Which slightly rhymes with Harry Potter -
specifically the bit with snakes.

And really this is all some distance from the
original concept - of an originating author
overestimating the audience's interest in
the series character's early life.

I'd nominate Tom Swift - "All right, tell people
I wrote them myself", Tom authorised - but that
went rather well with readers. (Probably better
than this.)

And I've ruled out _Star Trek_ (2009).
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-03-02 03:46:02 UTC
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
What other examples are there?
/Bo Lindbergh
Jesus... naw, that's not nice.
Legend of "St" Christopher?
Post by Robert Carnegie
So, Hercules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Hercules
Well, I was thinking - confusedly and with exaggeration - of,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracles#Birth_and_childhood>
Which slightly rhymes with Harry Potter -
specifically the bit with snakes.
And really this is all some distance from the
original concept - of an originating author
overestimating the audience's interest in
the series character's early life.
I'd nominate Tom Swift - "All right, tell people
I wrote them myself", Tom authorised - but that
went rather well with readers. (Probably better
than this.)
Tom Swift books were never written by "Tom Swift".
That job went to the Appleton family.
2017-03-02 08:50:02 UTC
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
What other examples are there?
/Bo Lindbergh
Jesus... naw, that's not nice.
Legend of "St" Christopher?
Post by Robert Carnegie
So, Hercules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Hercules
Well, I was thinking - confusedly and with exaggeration - of,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracles#Birth_and_childhood>
Which slightly rhymes with Harry Potter -
specifically the bit with snakes.
And really this is all some distance from the
original concept - of an originating author
overestimating the audience's interest in
the series character's early life.
I'd nominate Tom Swift - "All right, tell people
I wrote them myself", Tom authorised - but that
went rather well with readers. (Probably better
than this.)
Tom Swift books were never written by "Tom Swift".
That job went to the Appleton family.
"They don't exist. I named them after my hero,
Sir Isaac Edison. But under the skin it's me,"
Tom appealed.
1***@compuserve.com
2017-03-06 21:11:31 UTC
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
What other examples are there?
/Bo Lindbergh
Jesus... naw, that's not nice.
Legend of "St" Christopher?
Post by Robert Carnegie
So, Hercules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Hercules
Well, I was thinking - confusedly and with exaggeration - of,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracles#Birth_and_childhood>
Which slightly rhymes with Harry Potter -
specifically the bit with snakes.
And really this is all some distance from the
original concept - of an originating author
overestimating the audience's interest in
the series character's early life.
I'd nominate Tom Swift - "All right, tell people
I wrote them myself", Tom authorised - but that
went rather well with readers. (Probably better
than this.)
Tom Swift books were never written by "Tom Swift".
That job went to the Appleton family.
"They don't exist. I named them after my hero,
Sir Isaac Edison. But under the skin it's me,"
Tom appealed.
I only have one Tom Swiftie in my .sig file, but it would work real well if he replies again. Somehow it still cracks me up.

JimboCat
--
"I'm not stopping just because I've got shit on my head,"
said Tom undeterred. [James Hogg]
-dsr-
2017-03-02 12:40:44 UTC
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
What other examples are there?
F. Paul Wilson's Young Repairman Jack novels, in which literally
nothing interesting can happen unless the protagonist is then
hit over the head or otherwise has induced amnesia... and
the Antagonist must refrain from killing Jack (which he would
not normally have any scruples about).

Lee Child's Jack Reacher series contains a long short-story
about young Jack getting into fights. Since there's no long-term
adversary in the Reacher books, there's no need to do anything
except keep the expected people alive.

I heard that there's a series of Young James Bond books, but
Fleming didn't write them and I haven't read them.

-dsr-
Kevrob
2017-03-06 21:18:09 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Bo Lindbergh
... That Character with Whom the Author Fell in Love.
* _The Masterharper of Pern_ by Anne McCaffrey.
* _The Childe Morgan Trilogy_ by Katherine Kurtz.
What other examples are there?
F. Paul Wilson's Young Repairman Jack novels, in which literally
nothing interesting can happen unless the protagonist is then
hit over the head or otherwise has induced amnesia... and
the Antagonist must refrain from killing Jack (which he would
not normally have any scruples about).
Lee Child's Jack Reacher series contains a long short-story
about young Jack getting into fights. Since there's no long-term
adversary in the Reacher books, there's no need to do anything
except keep the expected people alive.
I heard that there's a series of Young James Bond books, but
Fleming didn't write them and I haven't read them.
Not to be confused with "James Bond Jr" - a "nephew,"
or with James Suzuki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bond_Jr.