[Young People Read Old SFF] Thunder and Roses by Theodore Sturgeon
2018-04-26 13:47:18 UTC
Young People Read Old SFF: Thunder and Roses by Theodore Sturgeon

http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/thunder-and-roses
2018-04-28 06:48:32 UTC
Young People Read Old SFF: Thunder and Roses by Theodore Sturgeon
http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/thunder-and-roses
That's a great little story to end the Young People Read Old Science
Fiction chapter in your life. It appears in the November 1947 edition of
_Astounding_.
This twilight-of-humanity story reminds me of "Second Variety"
(PKD). In real life there's autonomous AI predator drone swarms. [1]

Note.

1. https://www.popsci.com/pentagon-drone-swarm-autonomous-war-machines

Don
J. Clarke
2018-04-28 13:56:19 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by James Nicoll
Young People Read Old SFF: Thunder and Roses by Theodore Sturgeon
http://youngpeoplereadoldsff.com/story/thunder-and-roses
That's a great little story to end the Young People Read Old Science
Fiction chapter in your life. It appears in the November 1947 edition of
_Astounding_.
This twilight-of-humanity story reminds me of "Second Variety"
(PKD). In real life there's autonomous AI predator drone swarms. [1]
Note.
1. https://www.popsci.com/pentagon-drone-swarm-autonomous-war-machines
Calling those "AI predator drone swarms" is more than a bit
misleading. The military is experimenting with drone swarms. So far
the drones in the swarms are not carrying any kind of weapon.

Further, when the military refers to a "Predator drone", they are
referring to a specific model of drone, which is not the model used in
the swarming experiments.
2018-04-28 16:08:46 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
"Flying murder machines?" No, that's no good. Let's add a smidgen of
panache and label them "floating assassins" ala _Dune_ (Herbert). BTW,
are Herbert's floating assassins tipped with the same meta-cyanide found
in a gom jabbar? WTF is meta-cyanide anyway?
The military-industrial-congressional-complex needs _Dune_ devices
to truly carry out surgical strikes. You know, against bad guys. ☺

Don
J. Clarke
2018-04-28 17:54:12 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by J. Clarke
Post by D B Davis
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
So tell us what, other than charge on their batteries, one of these
swarms has murderd.
Post by D B Davis
The military-industrial-congressional-complex needs _Dune_ devices
to truly carry out surgical strikes. You know, against bad guys. ?
Perhaps they do, but the swarms described in the article you cite are
not it.
s***@yahoo.com
2018-05-06 13:00:16 UTC
Funny thing, I was thinking about the flying death-robots just seconds before logging on. Do folks know about the Kettering Bug from world war I?
Or in WWII the US fired the Loon missile from submarines. I'd like to read a bit more about the launch system. The thing itself was just the US version of the V 1.
J. Clarke
2018-05-06 16:42:52 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Funny thing, I was thinking about the flying death-robots just seconds before logging on. Do folks know about the Kettering Bug from world war I?
Or in WWII the US fired the Loon missile from submarines. I'd like to read a bit more about the launch system. The thing itself was just the US version of the V 1.
That was several years after WWII.