[OT] Nightmare in Europe
2018-03-27 17:23:55 UTC
This article came up for me on Google News:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/

2018-03-27 17:36:12 UTC
On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 1:23:58 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> This article came up for me on Google News:
>
> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/

You did see the date on that, I hope.

2018-03-27 17:43:18 UTC
On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 11:36:15 AM UTC-6, Peter Trei wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 1:23:58 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> > This article came up for me on Google News:
> >
> > https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/
>
> You did see the date on that, I hope.

Odd that it came up there, in that case. It had another thing, this time part of
the article itself, that seemed strange to me:

I suspect that quite a few American Jews believe, as Biden does, that Jews can
find greater safety in Israel than in America—but I imagine that they are mainly
of Biden’s generation, or older.

That may be true enough when it comes to personal safety. But when it comes to
having a place that Jews in Europe, or anywhere else, can leave for in a hurry,
then despite the greater danger from terrorist attacks in Israel than anti-
Semitic attacks in the United States, Israel still performs an important
function.

2018-03-27 17:50:41 UTC
On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 11:36:15 AM UTC-6, Peter Trei wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 1:23:58 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:

> > This article came up for me on Google News:

> > https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/

> You did see the date on that, I hope.

Now I see my mistake. The current article I saw on Google News was an opinion
piece noting that if Britain got tough on money laundering by Russians, it would
have a greater effect than expelling diplomats. I reached this article by a link
on the Atlantic Monthly's own web site, and I suppose the article was seen as
highly related even though quite old.

John Savard
Panthera Tigris Altaica
2018-03-27 21:51:38 UTC

I suspect that he cannot tell time. He is, after all, thoroughly incapable in so many other ways.
Robert Carnegie
2018-03-30 21:23:53 UTC

April 1st?
Quadibloc
2018-03-27 17:37:34 UTC
On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 11:23:58 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
> This article came up for me on Google News:
>
> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/

As I came across this article, I encountered this gem:

“To all the Jews of France, all the Jews of Europe, I would like to say that
Israel is not just the place in whose direction you pray. The state of Israel is
your home,” the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said after the
kosher-market attack.

The last thing I would have expected Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
to do, ever, would be to confuse Jews with Muslims. Some Jewish prayers may
refer to Jerusalem - but facing in the direction of one's faith's holiest city
when praying is a different faith's schtick.

2018-03-27 17:51:52 UTC
On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 11:37:37 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 11:23:58 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
> > This article came up for me on Google News:

> > https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/

> As I came across this article, I encountered this gem:

> “To all the Jews of France, all the Jews of Europe, I would like to say that
> Israel is not just the place in whose direction you pray. The state of Israel is
> your home,” the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said after the
> kosher-market attack.

> The last thing I would have expected Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
> to do, ever, would be to confuse Jews with Muslims. Some Jewish prayers may
> refer to Jerusalem - but facing in the direction of one's faith's holiest city
> when praying is a different faith's schtick.

...but I, too, was confused, mixing up Jerusalem with Israel.

John Savard
Cryptoengineer
2018-03-28 02:56:44 UTC
Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

> On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 11:23:58 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
>> This article came up for me on Google News:
>>
>> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-th
>> e-j ews-to-leave-europe/386279/
>
> As I came across this article, I encountered this gem:
>
> “To all the Jews of France, all the Jews of Europe, I would like to
> say that Israel is not just the place in whose direction you pray. The
> state of Israel is your home,” the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin
> Netanyahu, said after the kosher-market attack.
>
> The last thing I would have expected Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin
> Netanyahu to do, ever, would be to confuse Jews with Muslims. Some
> Jewish prayers may refer to Jerusalem - but facing in the direction of
> one's faith's holiest city when praying is a different faith's
> schtick.
>
> John Savard

So, you think you know more than a born Jew?

When an expert says something actually happens, and you're not an expert,
it behooves you to check before stating your (much less informed)
assumption as a fact, and declaring the expert wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizrah

pt
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2018-03-28 04:51:57 UTC
On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 21:56:44 -0500, Cryptoengineer
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in
>
>> On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 11:23:58 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
>>> This article came up for me on Google News:
>>>
>>> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-th
>>> e-j ews-to-leave-europe/386279/
>>
>> As I came across this article, I encountered this gem:
>>
>> “To all the Jews of France, all the Jews of Europe, I would like to
>> say that Israel is not just the place in whose direction you pray. The
>> state of Israel is your home,� the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin
>> Netanyahu, said after the kosher-market attack.
>>
>> The last thing I would have expected Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin
>> Netanyahu to do, ever, would be to confuse Jews with Muslims. Some
>> Jewish prayers may refer to Jerusalem - but facing in the direction of
>> one's faith's holiest city when praying is a different faith's
>> schtick.
>
>So, you think you know more than a born Jew?

Oh, he thinks he knows more about everything than everyone!

He's wrong at least 99% of the time.

>When an expert says something actually happens, and you're not an expert,
>it behooves you to check before stating your (much less informed)
>assumption as a fact, and declaring the expert wrong.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizrah

My latest novel is Stone Unturned: A Legend of Ethshar.
See http://www.ethshar.com/StoneUnturned.shtml
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-03-28 05:04:38 UTC
Lawrence Watt-Evans <***@gmail.com> wrote in
org:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 21:56:44 -0500, Cryptoengineer
> <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

>>> As I came across this article, I encountered this gem:
>>>
>>> “To all the Jews of France, all the Jews of Europe, I would
>>> like to say that Israel is not just the place in whose
>>> direction you pray. The state of Israel is your home,� the
>>> Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said after the
>>> kosher-market attack.
>>>
>>> The last thing I would have expected Israeli Prime Minister
>>> Benjamin Netanyahu to do, ever, would be to confuse Jews with
>>> Muslims. Some Jewish prayers may refer to Jerusalem - but
>>> facing in the direction of one's faith's holiest city when
>>> praying is a different faith's schtick.
>>
>>So, you think you know more than a born Jew?
>
> Oh, he thinks he knows more about everything than everyone!
>
> He's wrong at least 99% of the time.

He's right more often than Shawn Wilson ever was. But then, even
CNN and Faux News are right more often than Shawn Wilson.

Lawrence Watt-Evans
2018-03-28 05:14:31 UTC
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 05:04:38 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>Lawrence Watt-Evans <***@gmail.com> wrote in
>org:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 21:56:44 -0500, Cryptoengineer
>> <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

>>>So, you think you know more than a born Jew?
>>
>> Oh, he thinks he knows more about everything than everyone!
>>
>> He's wrong at least 99% of the time.
>
>He's right more often than Shawn Wilson ever was. But then, even
>CNN and Faux News are right more often than Shawn Wilson.

I don't think it's POSSIBLE to be wrong more often than Shawn Wilson.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-03-28 15:21:28 UTC
Lawrence Watt-Evans <***@gmail.com> wrote in
org:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 05:04:38 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
> <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Lawrence Watt-Evans <***@gmail.com> wrote in
>>r. org:

>>> Oh, he thinks he knows more about everything than everyone!
>>>
>>> He's wrong at least 99% of the time.
>>
>>He's right more often than Shawn Wilson ever was. But then, even
>>CNN and Faux News are right more often than Shawn Wilson.
>
> I don't think it's POSSIBLE to be wrong more often than Shawn
> Wilson.

It could well cause a rip in the fabric of time/space, and the
resulting vortext would suck us all into a universe that works just
the way Shawn believes it does.

And if that doesn't horrify you, nothing will.

Juho Julkunen
2018-03-28 19:49:27 UTC
In article <***@reader80.eternal-
september.org>, ***@gmail.com says...

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 05:04:38 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
> <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> >He's right more often than Shawn Wilson ever was. But then, even
> >CNN and Faux News are right more often than Shawn Wilson.
>
> I don't think it's POSSIBLE to be wrong more often than Shawn Wilson.

I believe it is, at least theoretically. Whether that can actually be
achieved by a human being is another matter.

Juho Julkunen
Peter Trei
2018-03-28 20:44:15 UTC
On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 3:49:20 PM UTC-4, Juho Julkunen wrote:
> In article <***@reader80.eternal-
> september.org>, ***@gmail.com says...
> >
> > On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 05:04:38 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
> > <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >He's right more often than Shawn Wilson ever was. But then, even
> > >CNN and Faux News are right more often than Shawn Wilson.
> >
> > I don't think it's POSSIBLE to be wrong more often than Shawn Wilson.
>
> I believe it is, at least theoretically. Whether that can actually be
> achieved by a human being is another matter.

IIRC, he had occasional valuable things to say about home brewing, and
medieval warfare.

pt
Moriarty
2018-03-28 21:18:30 UTC
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 7:44:18 AM UTC+11, Peter Trei wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 3:49:20 PM UTC-4, Juho Julkunen wrote:
> > In article <***@reader80.eternal-
> > september.org>, ***@gmail.com says...

> > > I don't think it's POSSIBLE to be wrong more often than Shawn Wilson.
> >
> > I believe it is, at least theoretically. Whether that can actually be
> > achieved by a human being is another matter.
>
> IIRC, he had occasional valuable things to say about home brewing, and
> medieval warfare.

He (Shawn) was also a fan of ERB and HPL and could hold down a decent conversation about the works of either. As the economies of Barsoom and R'Lyeh never came up.

-Moriarty
Moriarty
2018-03-28 21:20:25 UTC
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 8:18:34 AM UTC+11, Moriarty wrote:
> On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 7:44:18 AM UTC+11, Peter Trei wrote:
> > On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 3:49:20 PM UTC-4, Juho Julkunen wrote:
> > > In article <***@reader80.eternal-
> > > september.org>, ***@gmail.com says...

> > > I believe it is, at least theoretically. Whether that can actually be
> > > achieved by a human being is another matter.
> >
> > IIRC, he had occasional valuable things to say about home brewing, and
> > medieval warfare.
>
> He (Shawn) was also a fan of ERB and HPL and could hold down a decent conversation about the works of either. As the economies of Barsoom and R'Lyeh never came up.
>
> -Moriarty

As LONG as the economies of Barsoom and R'Lyeh never came up. No coffee leads to missing words.

-Moriarty
Wolffan
2018-03-29 12:42:38 UTC
On 28Mar 2018, Moriarty wrote
(in article<71f030f4-e5dd-49f6-8441-***@googlegroups.com>):

> On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 8:18:34 AM UTC+11, Moriarty wrote:

> > > IIRC, he had occasional valuable things to say about home brewing, and
> > > medieval warfare.
> >
> > He (Shawn) was also a fan of ERB and HPL and could hold down a decent
> > conversation about the works of either. As the economies of Barsoom and
> > R'Lyeh never came up.
> >
> > -Moriarty
>
> As LONG as the economies of Barsoom and R'Lyeh never came up.

Barsoom and R’Lyeth had economies?!
yep.
p. pinto
2018-03-29 13:22:14 UTC
- hi; well, barsoom certainly had an economic system of *some* sort,
sufficient to supply food to non-subsistence farmers, craftspeople,
including (but not restricted to) smiths and other metal-workers on
an at least vaguely stable basis - plus support the nobility and
above, the military, and any other local forces of lawn order. . .

- it doesn't *need* to've been money- (or similar token-) based, as
several human civilisation existed for variously extensive periods
without the convenience and flexibility commonly attributed to the
invention of electrum coinage by the lydians, or the adoption of
cowrie shells from the maldives as cash across south-east asia; in
at least some societies that survived into modern times, stored
wealth was reckoned in a combination of unique art/craft pieces,
plus the reputation of generosity remembered by all - friends and
enemies alike - periodically "topped up" with gifts, the receipt of
which _could_ "bankrupt" the recipient notable, family or tribe if
they were unable to match the level of generosity in return within
some traditionally acceptable period of time...°

° - cf. "face"

- it is somewhat more challenging to conceive of a basis for the -
putative - economic system of r'lyeh.

- love, ppint.
decadence; n: the finest flowering of civilisation
David Johnston
2018-03-29 16:53:29 UTC

http://barsoom.wikia.com/wiki/Martian_Currency

Gene Wirchenko
2018-03-29 19:19:59 UTC
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 06:22:14 -0700 (PDT), "p. pinto"
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>- it is somewhat more challenging to conceive of a basis for the -
>putative - economic system of r'lyeh.

Who will be eaten first?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Juho Julkunen
2018-03-29 15:17:47 UTC
In article <***@news.supernews.com>,
***@gmail.com says...

> On 28Mar 2018, Moriarty wrote
> (in article<71f030f4-e5dd-49f6-8441-***@googlegroups.com>):

> > > He (Shawn) was also a fan of ERB and HPL and could hold down a decent
> > > conversation about the works of either. As the economies of Barsoom and
> > > R'Lyeh never came up.
> > >
> > > -Moriarty
> >
> > As LONG as the economies of Barsoom and R'Lyeh never came up.
>
> Barsoom and R?Lyeth had economies?!

Barsoom, certainly. There's specialization and trade. _A Princess of
Mars_ even spends some time explaining how local money works.

Juho Julkunen
Quadibloc
2018-03-29 16:36:58 UTC
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 9:17:39 AM UTC-6, Juho Julkunen wrote:

> Barsoom, certainly. There's specialization and trade. _A Princess of
> Mars_ even spends some time explaining how local money works.

> http://barsoom.wikia.com/wiki/Martian_Currency

People have a whole year to kite cheques before they're sent to the mines if
they fall short. Yes, I remember that.

2018-03-28 21:21:24 UTC
Peter Trei <***@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 3:49:20 PM UTC-4, Juho Julkunen
> wrote:
>> In article
>> <***@reader80.eternal-
>> september.org>, ***@gmail.com says...

>> > I don't think it's POSSIBLE to be wrong more often than Shawn
>> > Wilson.
>>
>> I believe it is, at least theoretically. Whether that can
>> actually be achieved by a human being is another matter.
>
> IIRC, he had occasional valuable things to say about home
> brewing, and medieval warfare.

That, or he was so delusional that reading his posts made you
hallucinate, too.

William Hyde
2018-03-28 19:58:09 UTC
On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 1:14:32 AM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 05:04:38 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
> <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Lawrence Watt-Evans <***@gmail.com> wrote in
> >org:

> >> Oh, he thinks he knows more about everything than everyone!
> >>
> >> He's wrong at least 99% of the time.
> >
> >He's right more often than Shawn Wilson ever was. But then, even
> >CNN and Faux News are right more often than Shawn Wilson.
>
> I don't think it's POSSIBLE to be wrong more often than Shawn Wilson.

I remember that he wrote something I agreed with once. Even more, it was not a tautology.

I thought of commenting on this, but given our past discussions nothing I could say would sound other than snide.

Later he said another thing I agreed with, but by this time I was bored with miracles.

William Hyde
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-03-28 21:22:39 UTC
William Hyde <***@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 1:14:32 AM UTC-4, Lawrence
> Watt-Evans wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 05:04:38 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
>> <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Lawrence Watt-Evans <***@gmail.com> wrote in
>> >ber. org:

> ¬? the

>> >He's right more often than Shawn Wilson ever was. But then,
>> >even CNN and Faux News are right more often than Shawn Wilson.
>>
>> I don't think it's POSSIBLE to be wrong more often than Shawn
>> Wilson.
>
> I remember that he wrote something I agreed with once. Even
> more, it was not a tautology.

Then I can only assume that you, too, were incorrect.

> I thought of commenting on this, but given our past discussions
> nothing I could say would sound other than snide.
>
> Later he said another thing I agreed with, but by this time I
> was bored with miracles.

And they were bored with you.

Lawrence Watt-Evans
2018-03-28 21:30:45 UTC
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 12:58:09 -0700 (PDT), William Hyde
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 1:14:32 AM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 05:04:38 GMT, Ninapenda Jibini
>> <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Lawrence Watt-Evans <***@gmail.com> wrote in
>> >org:

>> >He's right more often than Shawn Wilson ever was. But then, even
>> >CNN and Faux News are right more often than Shawn Wilson.
>>
>> I don't think it's POSSIBLE to be wrong more often than Shawn Wilson.
>
>I remember that he wrote something I agreed with once. Even more, it was not a tautology.

It's really tempting to suggest this is merely an indication that on
that occasion, YOU were wrong, too.

But that would be snide.

>I thought of commenting on this, but given our past discussions nothing I could say would sound other than snide.

See?

>Later he said another thing I agreed with, but by this time I was bored with miracles.

I love this sentence. May I quote it?

William Hyde
2018-03-28 23:29:27 UTC
On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 5:30:47 PM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 12:58:09 -0700 (PDT), William Hyde
> <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 1:14:32 AM UTC-4, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:

> >> I don't think it's POSSIBLE to be wrong more often than Shawn Wilson.
> >
> >I remember that he wrote something I agreed with once. Even more, it was not a tautology.
>
> It's really tempting to suggest this is merely an indication that on
> that occasion, YOU were wrong, too.

This seems to be the opinion of the masses. And I can't argue with it.

> But that would be snide.
>
> >I thought of commenting on this, but given our past discussions nothing I could say would sound other than snide.
>
> See?
>
> >Later he said another thing I agreed with, but by this time I was bored with miracles.
>
> I love this sentence. May I quote it?

You certainly may.

William Hyde
Quadibloc
2018-03-28 07:03:52 UTC
On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 10:51:58 PM UTC-6, Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:

> Oh, he thinks he knows more about everything than everyone!

You should see what I just posted to sci.physics - after I decided that was a
better forum than this one - pursuant to the thread I started here, "Extremely
Silly Video".

2018-03-28 06:22:13 UTC
On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 8:56:42 PM UTC-6, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in
>
> > On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 11:23:58 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
> >> This article came up for me on Google News:
> >>
> >> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-th
> >> e-j ews-to-leave-europe/386279/
> >
> > As I came across this article, I encountered this gem:
> >
> > “To all the Jews of France, all the Jews of Europe, I would like to
> > say that Israel is not just the place in whose direction you pray. The
> > state of Israel is your home,” the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin
> > Netanyahu, said after the kosher-market attack.
> >
> > The last thing I would have expected Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin
> > Netanyahu to do, ever, would be to confuse Jews with Muslims. Some
> > Jewish prayers may refer to Jerusalem - but facing in the direction of
> > one's faith's holiest city when praying is a different faith's
> > schtick.
> >
> > John Savard
>
> So, you think you know more than a born Jew?

> When an expert says something actually happens, and you're not an expert,
> it behooves you to check before stating your (much less informed)
> assumption as a fact, and declaring the expert wrong.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizrah

Yes, from an E-mail to a friend I learned that indeed there is a custom to pray
facing at least in the right compass point of Israel, so my initial reaction -
that this described a practice I had only heard of among Muslims - was unsound.

2018-03-28 13:13:55 UTC
On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 2:22:15 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 8:56:42 PM UTC-6, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> > Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

> > > As I came across this article, I encountered this gem:
> > >
> > > “To all the Jews of France, all the Jews of Europe, I would like to
> > > say that Israel is not just the place in whose direction you pray. The
> > > state of Israel is your home,” the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin
> > > Netanyahu, said after the kosher-market attack.
> > >
> > > The last thing I would have expected Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin
> > > Netanyahu to do, ever, would be to confuse Jews with Muslims. Some
> > > Jewish prayers may refer to Jerusalem - but facing in the direction of
> > > one's faith's holiest city when praying is a different faith's
> > > schtick.
> > >
> > > John Savard
> >
> > So, you think you know more than a born Jew?
>
> > When an expert says something actually happens, and you're not an expert,
> > it behooves you to check before stating your (much less informed)
> > assumption as a fact, and declaring the expert wrong.
>
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizrah
>
> Yes, from an E-mail to a friend I learned that indeed there is a custom to pray
> facing at least in the right compass point of Israel, so my initial reaction -
> that this described a practice I had only heard of among Muslims - was unsound.

John, the issue here is that when Netanyahu mentioned Jews facing
towards Jerusalem to pray, your reaction was that Netanyahu was
wrong, and confused between Judaic and Islamic practice.

The 'normal' reaction would be to consider the source - a born Jew, and an
intelligent man (yes, he's a scandal-ridden politician, but he's neither
stupid nor ignorant), and consider that on something like this, that maybe
he knows something about Judaism that you, a Gentile living in Canada, don't.

30 seconds googling turned up the wikipedia link I cited.

You do this a lot - make sweeping pronouncements on issues where you don't have
sufficient background knowledge to do so without looking like a fool. This is
why you get so much mockery.

Please consider the words of Oliver Cromwell next time you post.
"Consider it possible ye may be mistaken."

2018-03-28 15:22:56 UTC

> Please consider the words of Oliver Cromwell next time you post.
> "Consider it possible ye may be mistaken."

I predict that isn't going to happen.

2018-03-28 15:57:16 UTC
Well, I remember an article about him in which it was admitted he succumbed to the temptation of bacon.
William Hyde
2018-03-28 20:04:42 UTC
On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 9:14:00 AM UTC-4, Peter Trei wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 2:22:15 AM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 8:56:42 PM UTC-6, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> > > Quadibloc <***@ecn.ab.ca> wrote in

> > > So, you think you know more than a born Jew?
> >
> > > When an expert says something actually happens, and you're not an expert,
> > > it behooves you to check before stating your (much less informed)
> > > assumption as a fact, and declaring the expert wrong.
> >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizrah
> >
> > Yes, from an E-mail to a friend I learned that indeed there is a custom to pray
> > facing at least in the right compass point of Israel, so my initial reaction -
> > that this described a practice I had only heard of among Muslims - was unsound.
>
> John, the issue here is that when Netanyahu mentioned Jews facing
> towards Jerusalem to pray, your reaction was that Netanyahu was
> wrong, and confused between Judaic and Islamic practice.
>
> The 'normal' reaction would be to consider the source - a born Jew, and an
> intelligent man (yes, he's a scandal-ridden politician, but he's neither
> stupid nor ignorant), and consider that on something like this, that maybe
> he knows something about Judaism that you, a Gentile living in Canada, don't.
>
> 30 seconds googling turned up the wikipedia link I cited.
>
> You do this a lot - make sweeping pronouncements on issues where you don't have
> sufficient background knowledge to do so without looking like a fool. This is
> why you get so much mockery.
>
> Please consider the words of Oliver Cromwell next time you post.
> "Consider it possible ye may be mistaken."

Mr Savard knows a lot that is true. But he knows a lot that is not true, and doesn't know the difference.

I recall him as a reasonable poster on rec.games.chess.misc years ago.

I was afraid you were going to say:

"Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

William Hyde
Peter Trei
2018-03-28 20:56:12 UTC
On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 4:04:45 PM UTC-4, William Hyde wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 9:14:00 AM UTC-4, Peter Trei wrote:

> > > Yes, from an E-mail to a friend I learned that indeed there is a custom to pray
> > > facing at least in the right compass point of Israel, so my initial reaction -
> > > that this described a practice I had only heard of among Muslims - was unsound.
> >
> > John, the issue here is that when Netanyahu mentioned Jews facing
> > towards Jerusalem to pray, your reaction was that Netanyahu was
> > wrong, and confused between Judaic and Islamic practice.
> >
> > The 'normal' reaction would be to consider the source - a born Jew, and an
> > intelligent man (yes, he's a scandal-ridden politician, but he's neither
> > stupid nor ignorant), and consider that on something like this, that maybe
> > he knows something about Judaism that you, a Gentile living in Canada, don't.
> >
> > 30 seconds googling turned up the wikipedia link I cited.
> >
> > You do this a lot - make sweeping pronouncements on issues where you don't have
> > sufficient background knowledge to do so without looking like a fool. This is
> > why you get so much mockery.
> >
> > Please consider the words of Oliver Cromwell next time you post.
> > "Consider it possible ye may be mistaken."
>
> Mr Savard knows a lot that is true. But he knows a lot that is not true, and doesn't know the difference.
>
> I recall him as a reasonable poster on rec.games.chess.misc years ago.
>
> I was afraid you were going to say:
>
> "Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

The full and correct quote is 'I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think
it possible you may be mistaken.'

Jacob Bronowski quotes this memorably while standing in the ashdump of
Auschwitz, making the point that this (the camp) is the sort of thing which
happens when people Know, with absolute certainty, That They Are Right.

The context under which Cromwell uttered it was somewhat less impressive,
trying to persuade the Scots change from supporting the Royalists to the
Roundheads. They said no, and he invaded.

2018-04-02 10:22:09 UTC
On 2018-03-28, William Hyde <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was afraid you were going to say:
>
> "Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

... that trick NEVER works.

Dave, oops - wrong hat!
2018-03-30 21:27:36 UTC
On Tuesday, 27 March 2018 18:37:37 UTC+1, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 11:23:58 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:
> > This article came up for me on Google News:
> >
> > https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/
>
> As I came across this article, I encountered this gem:
>
> “To all the Jews of France, all the Jews of Europe, I would like to say that
> Israel is not just the place in whose direction you pray. The state of Israel is
> your home,” the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said after the
> kosher-market attack.

If I remember right, he does that every year. Flies in
and calls for all the Jews to follow him when he flies home.
It's not for me to say that this is annoying.
p. pinto
2018-03-31 14:28:13 UTC
- hi; not really wanting to encourage - "but";

- no worse than de gaulle's words, on visiting quebec...

- love, ppint.
a dialect is the language of a land lacking secure limits
David DeLaney
2018-04-02 10:23:00 UTC
On 2018-03-31, p. pinto <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> - hi; not really wanting to encourage - "but";
>
> - no worse than de gaulle's words, on visiting quebec...
>
> - love, ppint.

Long time no see!

Dave, glad to be reading you again
2018-03-27 23:17:12 UTC
On 3/27/2018 12:23 PM, Quadibloc wrote:
> This article came up for me on Google News:
>
> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/
>
> John Savard

Old news. The future results of this is chronicled in _Caliphate_ by
Tom Kratman.
https://www.amazon.com/Caliphate-Tom-Kratman/dp/1439133425/

Lynn
Chrysi Cat
2018-03-28 07:16:46 UTC
On 3/27/2018 5:17 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 3/27/2018 12:23 PM, Quadibloc wrote:
>> This article came up for me on Google News:
>>
>> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/
>>

>> John Savard
>
> Old news.  The future results of this is chronicled in _Caliphate_ by
> [name deleted by Kat just in case he missed it the first time and wouldn't have this time!].
>    https://www.amazon.com/Caliphate-Tom-Kratman/dp/1439133425/
>
> Lynn

Dammit, Lynn, you *know* better than to speak of that devil by name; he
hangs around here for the next 3 weeks and gets in troll wars with Terry!

--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger
2018-03-28 15:23:26 UTC
Chrysi Cat <***@gmail.com> wrote in

> On 3/27/2018 5:17 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 3/27/2018 12:23 PM, Quadibloc wrote:
>>> This article came up for me on Google News:
>>>
>>> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time
>>> -for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/
>>>

>>> John Savard
>>
>> Old news.  The future results of this is chronicled in
>> _Caliphate_ by [name deleted by Kat just in case he missed it
>> the first time and wouldn't have this time!].
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Caliphate-Tom-Kratman/dp/1439133425/
>>
>> Lynn
>>

> Dammit, Lynn, you *know* better than to speak of that devil by
> name; he hangs around here for the next 3 weeks and gets in
> troll wars with Terry!

Grown ups spoil *everything*.

2018-03-28 17:47:04 UTC
On 3/28/2018 12:16 AM, Chrysi Cat wrote:
> On 3/27/2018 5:17 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 3/27/2018 12:23 PM, Quadibloc wrote:
>>> This article came up for me on Google News:
>>>
>>> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/
>>
>> Old news.  The future results of this is chronicled in _Caliphate_ by
>> [name deleted by Kat just in case he missed it the first time and
>> wouldn't have this time!].
>>     https://www.amazon.com/Caliphate-Tom-Kratman/dp/1439133425/
>>

> Dammit, Lynn, you *know* better than to speak of that devil by name; he
> hangs around here for the next 3 weeks and gets in troll wars with Terry!

Stock up on popcorn!

2018-03-28 18:48:55 UTC
On 3/28/2018 2:16 AM, Chrysi Cat wrote:
> On 3/27/2018 5:17 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 3/27/2018 12:23 PM, Quadibloc wrote:
>>> This article came up for me on Google News:
>>>
>>> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/
>>>

>>> John Savard
>>
>> Old news.  The future results of this is chronicled in _Caliphate_ by
>> [name deleted by Kat just in case he missed it the first time and
>> wouldn't have this time!].
>>     https://www.amazon.com/Caliphate-Tom-Kratman/dp/1439133425/
>>
>> Lynn
>>

> Dammit, Lynn, you *know* better than to speak of that devil by name; he
> hangs around here for the next 3 weeks and gets in troll wars with Terry!

Stirring the pot slowly ...

2018-03-28 13:52:23 UTC

You do understand the concept of "fiction", right?
Lynn McGuire
2018-03-28 18:50:38 UTC
On 3/28/2018 8:52 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Lynn McGuire <***@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 3/27/2018 12:23 PM, Quadibloc wrote:
>>> This article came up for me on Google News:
>>>
>>> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/
>>>
>>> John Savard
>>
>> Old news. The future results of this is chronicled in _Caliphate_ by
>> Tom Kratman.
>> https://www.amazon.com/Caliphate-Tom-Kratman/dp/1439133425/
>

> You do understand the concept of "fiction", right?

And I understand the concept of "Self-fulfilling prophecy".

2018-03-28 22:56:02 UTC

Do you? Is Kratman's book going to come true because he wrote it?
David DeLaney
2018-04-02 10:25:05 UTC
On 2018-03-28, Lynn McGuire <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/28/2018 8:52 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire <***@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Old news. The future results of this is chronicled in _Caliphate_ by
>>> [REDACTED BY ORDER OF THE WINSLOW].
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Caliphate-Tom-Kratman/dp/1439133425/
>>
>> You do understand the concept of "fiction", right?
>
> And I understand the concept of "Self-fulfilling prophecy".

And I understand the concept of "book too badly written to recommend that it
EVER be read. by ANYONE", which as far as I can tell his qualify as.

Dave, and I read _Piers Anthony_
Panthera Tigris Altaica
2018-04-02 14:45:38 UTC

Mr. Kratman is the gentleman who perpetuated the book wherein there is a Waffen-SS unit named Judah Macabeus, is he not? He gets points for having a really powerful imagination. He loses points for having very little common sense. I have never finished the book with the Jewish SS unit. I will never purchase anything else Mr. Kratman writes.
Lynn McGuire
2018-03-28 18:53:06 UTC
On 3/27/2018 12:23 PM, Quadibloc wrote:
> This article came up for me on Google News:
>
> https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/
>
> John Savard

Also see "The Camp of the Saints":
https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Saints-Jean-Raspail/dp/1881780074/