They're Worried about Yellowstone Again
Quadibloc
2017-10-17 04:17:06 UTC
Just saw this news item:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/257451-yellowstone-supervolcano-erupt-sooner-expected

John Savard
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-17 05:46:23 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/257451-yellowstone-supervolca
no-erupt-sooner-expected
John Savard
For values of "they" that start and end with people who have snake
oil on sale for a discount price (because otherwise, even the
gullible won't buy it).

http://www.science20.com/robert_walker/no_yellowstone_is_not_going_to
_erupt_as_a_supervolcano_soon_no_it_cant_destroy_mankind-227295

http://tinyurl.com/ybfdakzo

But I suspect Lynn could name a book about it causing an EMP that
shorts out the neurons on our brains and kills everyone but wingnut
preppers whose brain wiring is immune. And he'll tell us how
fantastic a book it is, better than anything else ever written
because it's so *realistic*!
--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
Quadibloc
2017-10-17 07:49:11 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
For values of "they" that start and end with people who have snake
oil on sale for a discount price (because otherwise, even the
gullible won't buy it).
The article itself links simply to a National Geographic article as its source:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/10/yellowstone-supervolcano-erupt-faster-thought-science

but the National Geographic article does show where the research referenced was
presented at a couple of geophysical meetings.

A peer-reviewed paper may follow soon enough; we are talking about serious
researchers here. As well, in addition to the study of volcanic ash, other
indications of an unexpected level of activity in the caldera noted by other
researchers were referenced.

John Savard
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-17 16:02:47 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
A peer-reviewed paper may follow soon enough; we are talking
about serious researchers here.
So was the link you didn't read and snipped out.

And what you're actually talking about (this is why I know you didn't
bother to read the link, because you know it won't say what you want
- it talks about this) is the new media's interpretation of something
that doesn't even begin to say what the retarded press says it does.

It was a slow news day, and there's alway more advertising to sell.
And the public is stoopid.

Quadibloc
2017-10-17 17:12:59 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
So was the link you didn't read and snipped out.
Science marches on. Yes, there had been prior peer-reviewed research that said
that it would be tens of thousands of years before the Yellowstone caldera was
likely to erupt again. But that does not in any way prevent valid _new_
discoveries from being made that, based on new information, change this
conclusion.

There's no guarantee that *either* group of scientists won't be proved wrong in
the future.

John Savard
Peter Trei
2017-10-17 17:40:55 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
So was the link you didn't read and snipped out.
Science marches on. Yes, there had been prior peer-reviewed research that said
that it would be tens of thousands of years before the Yellowstone caldera was
likely to erupt again. But that does not in any way prevent valid _new_
discoveries from being made that, based on new information, change this
conclusion.
There's no guarantee that *either* group of scientists won't be proved wrong in
the future.
John Savard
I've seen proposals to cool the magma chamber down by drilling around the edge and pumping in water (not the center, that could trigger the eruption.

pt
Juho Julkunen
2017-10-17 18:50:06 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
So was the link you didn't read and snipped out.
Science marches on. Yes, there had been prior peer-reviewed research that said
that it would be tens of thousands of years before the Yellowstone caldera was
likely to erupt again. But that does not in any way prevent valid _new_
discoveries from being made that, based on new information, change this
conclusion.
There's no guarantee that *either* group of scientists won't be proved wrong in
the future.
John Savard
I've seen proposals to cool the magma chamber down by drilling around the edge and pumping in water (not the center, that could trigger the eruption.
Years ago I started writing a short story where people did that to
Vesuvius. Because it was a SF short, hilarity ensued.

While doing research for it, I learned that plans in case of an
eruption consisted largely of wishful thinking.
Juho Julkunen
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-10-17 19:53:49 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 10:02:50 AM UTC-6, Gutless Umbrella
Post by Peter Trei
the future.
John Savard
I've seen proposals to cool the magma chamber down by drilling around
the edge and pumping in water (not the center, that could trigger the
eruption.
Years ago I started writing a short story where people did that to
Vesuvius. Because it was a SF short, hilarity ensued.
While doing research for it, I learned that plans in case of an
eruption consisted largely of wishful thinking.
The Yellowstone caldera blowing was the impetus in
by Laura E. Reeve's "Major Ariane Kedros" books for the split between
earth and the outworlds. After the explosion, Earth needed complete
terraforming, and the outs weren't inclined to pay for it. (There
was a prior divergence from *our* history as shown when the Hellenic
League landed the first man on the moon. Given that time-bombs were
a major plot element, I suspect alt-hist would have come up more
if the series had continued)
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2017-10-17 20:47:47 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Peter Trei
the future.
John Savard
I've seen proposals to cool the magma chamber down by drilling around
the edge and pumping in water (not the center, that could trigger the
eruption.
Years ago I started writing a short story where people did that to
Vesuvius. Because it was a SF short, hilarity ensued.
While doing research for it, I learned that plans in case of an
eruption consisted largely of wishful thinking.
The Yellowstone caldera blowing was the impetus in
by Laura E. Reeve's "Major Ariane Kedros" books for the split between
earth and the outworlds.
It's also an essential part of the backstory for the Syfy TV series
"Van Helsing" -- it's the dust cloud from the eruption that allows
vampires to take over.
My latest novel is Tom Derringer in the Tunnels of Terror.
See http://www.watt-evans.com/TomDerringerintheTunnelsofTerror.shtml
Lynn McGuire
2017-10-17 21:12:50 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Peter Trei
the future.
John Savard
I've seen proposals to cool the magma chamber down by drilling around
the edge and pumping in water (not the center, that could trigger the
eruption.
Years ago I started writing a short story where people did that to
Vesuvius. Because it was a SF short, hilarity ensued.
While doing research for it, I learned that plans in case of an
eruption consisted largely of wishful thinking.
The Yellowstone caldera blowing was the impetus in
by Laura E. Reeve's "Major Ariane Kedros" books for the split between
earth and the outworlds.
It's also an essential part of the backstory for the Syfy TV series
"Van Helsing" -- it's the dust cloud from the eruption that allows
vampires to take over.
Ah, I missed that ! Thanks, that makes a little more sense.

Lynn
Peter Trei
2017-10-17 20:01:07 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
Its very unclear to me if the math works out - I'm not sure there's enough
water in the area, for a start.

The Icelanders of Heimaney (sp)? undertook a serious effort back in the 70s to
stop a lava flow from sealing off their harbor. It stopped in time, but
its unclear if the vast quantities of water they pumped onto the flow
did diddlysquat.

pt
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-17 22:59:21 UTC
In article
On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 1:13:02 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc
[...]
There was a volcano in Iceland where the lava flow was
stopped/slowed/diverted more or less by pouring tons (literally) of
water on it. It was the inspiration for the scene in that godawful
Tommy Lee Jones volcano movie.

Juho Julkunen
2017-10-18 00:00:05 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
There was a volcano in Iceland where the lava flow was
stopped/slowed/diverted more or less by pouring tons (literally) of
water on it. It was the inspiration for the scene in that godawful
Tommy Lee Jones volcano movie.
It really was awful. I saw it again over the summer, and I mostly kept
watching because I couldn't believe how bad it was in every single
aspect.
Juho Julkunen
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-18 02:02:10 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
There was a volcano in Iceland where the lava flow was
stopped/slowed/diverted more or less by pouring tons
(literally) of water on it. It was the inspiration for the
scene in that godawful Tommy Lee Jones volcano movie.
It really was awful. I saw it again over the summer, and I
mostly kept watching because I couldn't believe how bad it was
in every single aspect.
The really sad thing is, it was still more entertaining than the
other volcano movie, more scientifically accurate, that came out at
the same time.

Anthony Nance
2017-10-19 12:09:12 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
There was a volcano in Iceland where the lava flow was
stopped/slowed/diverted more or less by pouring tons (literally) of
water on it. It was the inspiration for the scene in that godawful
Tommy Lee Jones volcano movie.
It really was awful. I saw it again over the summer, and I mostly kept
watching because I couldn't believe how bad it was in every single
aspect.
Worse than Armageddon? Terry has mentioned The Core is
maybe worse than Armageddon, which is enough reason for
me to avoid it, 'cause Armageddon gives me face cramps
from wincing so much.

Tony
Greg Goss
2017-10-19 15:04:57 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
There was a volcano in Iceland where the lava flow was
stopped/slowed/diverted more or less by pouring tons (literally) of
water on it. It was the inspiration for the scene in that godawful
Tommy Lee Jones volcano movie.
It really was awful. I saw it again over the summer, and I mostly kept
watching because I couldn't believe how bad it was in every single
aspect.
Worse than Armageddon? Terry has mentioned The Core is
maybe worse than Armageddon, which is enough reason for
me to avoid it, 'cause Armageddon gives me face cramps
from wincing so much.
The Core KNEW it was bad, so progressed into fun camp much of the
time. I would vote for Armageddon as worse because they thought that
they were being serious.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 15:35:53 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
There was a volcano in Iceland where the lava flow was
stopped/slowed/diverted more or less by pouring tons
(literally) of water on it. It was the inspiration for the
scene in that godawful Tommy Lee Jones volcano movie.
It really was awful. I saw it again over the summer, and I
mostly kept watching because I couldn't believe how bad it was
in every single aspect.
Worse than Armageddon? Terry has mentioned The Core is
maybe worse than Armageddon, which is enough reason for
me to avoid it, 'cause Armageddon gives me face cramps
from wincing so much.
The Core KNEW it was bad, so progressed into fun camp much of
the time. I would vote for Armageddon as worse because they
thought that they were being serious.
But neither can hold a candle to Day After Tomorrow. Which was, if
I understand correctly, advertised as a documentary in some
countries.

(And even that can't compare to Capircorn One, which was easily the
best made shit movie I've ever seen.)

Peter Trei
2017-10-19 15:45:38 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
If "The Day After Tomorrow" counts, how about "2012"?

I have high (low) hopes for "Geostorm", which I'll probably see this weekend.

BTW: To my surprise, 2005's "Supervolcano" is actually watchable, and more or
less scientifically accurate. Yellowstone again.

pt
Lynn McGuire
2017-10-19 18:14:39 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
2012 was great when California fell into the ocean.

Lynn
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 18:42:14 UTC
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 11:35:56 AM UTC-4, Gutless
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
Sadly, California is actually rising up out of the ocean.

Scott Lurndal
2017-10-19 19:07:19 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
Don't confuse Lynn with the facts. He's crowing about
the death of 35 million of his fellow citizens.
Peter Trei
2017-10-19 19:24:44 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
In his defense, I point out that one of them is GUCS.

pt
Scott Lurndal
That's a lot of collateral damage, then.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 21:35:38 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
That is correct. And note that I stared that with "sadly."
California would be paradise if you got rid of all the people.

Lynn McGuire
2017-10-19 22:47:56 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
Done !
https://www.amazon.com/Conquistador-S-M-Stirling-ebook/dp/B00256Z2B4/

Lynn
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 22:53:22 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Lynn McGuire
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 11:35:56 AM UTC-4,
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
In article
[...]
At least it's not by Tom "Little Tommy Crapman" Kratman.

Quadibloc
2017-10-19 20:09:53 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Don't confuse Lynn with the facts. He's crowing about
the death of 35 million of his fellow citizens.
No, he's crowing about New Age types living in California being
proved wrong, when California *didn't* actually fall into the ocean
despite Edgar Cayce and the Mayan calendar.

Unlike the death of 35 million innocent people, I think it's
perfectly acceptable to crow about _that_.

Of course, there's the question of 35 million people being killed
in an alternate dimension - but that's not Lynn's fault, it's the
fault of the people who made that story up.

John Savard
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 21:44:08 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Scott Lurndal
Don't confuse Lynn with the facts. He's crowing about
the death of 35 million of his fellow citizens.
No, he's crowing about New Age types living in California being
proved wrong, when California *didn't* actually fall into the
ocean despite Edgar Cayce and the Mayan calendar.
What Gus is sayin' is . . . oh, wait, wrong movie.

I've never seen Lynn hesitate to crow about *any* massive die off as
the basis of a post apocalyptic story.

Lynn McGuire
2017-10-19 23:08:08 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Scott Lurndal
Don't confuse Lynn with the facts. He's crowing about
the death of 35 million of his fellow citizens.
No, he's crowing about New Age types living in California being
proved wrong, when California *didn't* actually fall into the
ocean despite Edgar Cayce and the Mayan calendar.
What Gus is sayin' is . . . oh, wait, wrong movie.
I've never seen Lynn hesitate to crow about *any* massive die off as
the basis of a post apocalyptic story.
The latest series, _Wool (The Silo Series)_, that I am reading killed
off the entire world's population in less than a day. Except the
250,000 USA citizens who took refuge in the 50 silos.
https://www.amazon.com/Wool-Hugh-Howey/dp/1476733953/

Lynn
Lynn McGuire
2017-10-19 20:43:54 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
Actually, the computer graphics in the 2012 movie for California were
freaking awesome. The scene in the movie is around 15 minutes long. Of
course, that is once you got past the fact that 35 million people were
dying.

Lynn
Peter Trei
2017-10-19 21:25:51 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
I enjoyed it too, but I can't suspend disbelief not to keep a running list
in my head of all the things they're getting wrong.

pt
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-10-19 21:35:50 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
No "From a concept by Lex Luthor" credit?
--
------
2017-10-19 21:46:11 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Lynn McGuire
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 11:35:56 AM UTC-4,
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
In article
[...]
Was there any point to watching that movie other than to mock
everything they got wrong? Was there ever a point where a rational
person would expect anything else?

Lynn McGuire
2017-10-19 22:59:26 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
What, you did not buy the neutrinos from the Sun heating the earth's
core and causing the Earth's crust to shift ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_(film)

Me either. But the computer graphics in the movie were awesome.

Lynn
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 21:34:58 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
I doubt there's much danger of that even if I nailed facts to the
back of his hands.
Post by Scott Lurndal
He's crowing about
the death of 35 million of his fellow citizens.
Indeed, but he crows about the deaths of millions in all his post
apocalyptic revenge fantasies.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-10-19 21:40:51 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Scott Lurndal
He's crowing about
the death of 35 million of his fellow citizens.
Indeed, but he crows about the deaths of millions in all his post
apocalyptic revenge fantasies.
Pretty sure all those people are fictional.
--
------
2017-10-19 22:00:43 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Scott Lurndal
He's crowing about
the death of 35 million of his fellow citizens.
Indeed, but he crows about the deaths of millions in all his
post apocalyptic revenge fantasies.
Pretty sure all those people are fictional.
As are the 35 million dead Californicators.

Joe Pfeiffer
2017-10-20 03:01:21 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Indeed, but he crows about the deaths of millions in all his post
apocalyptic revenge fantasies.
Key word "fantasies". We all have fantasies that we realize would be
horrible in real life.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-20 05:23:11 UTC
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Indeed, but he crows about the deaths of millions in all his
post apocalyptic revenge fantasies.
Key word "fantasies". We all have fantasies that we realize
would be horrible in real life.
You seem to be under the impression that the movie 2012 was a
documentary. That *is* what we're talking about. Whether you're been
paying attention or not.

D B Davis
2017-10-20 14:07:02 UTC
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Indeed, but he crows about the deaths of millions in all his post
apocalyptic revenge fantasies.
Key word "fantasies". We all have fantasies that we realize would be
horrible in real life.
That reminds me. There's a dear old great grandmother at my church.
She's one of the kindest, gentlest, sweetest, empathetic, loving, giving
people on earth. She also loves to read grisly murder fiction. The
grislier the better.

Then there's my own proclivity for the pair of perfect murders in
_Molon Labe_ (Party). Fortunately _Molon Labe_'s bad guys act despicable
up to the very end. They show no remorse whatsoever. They truly deserve
the redemptive violence [1] that they reap.

Note.

1. http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/cpt/article_060823wink.shtml

Thank you,

Don
Dimensional Traveler
2017-10-19 20:24:14 UTC
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 11:35:56 AM UTC-4, Gutless Umbrella
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
Which was so wrong because all the geophysicists know that its
everything east of the San Andreas that will fall into the Atlantic!
instinct are running screaming.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 21:44:55 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
The New Madrid fault has to figure into that somehow.

David DeLaney
2017-10-23 07:01:18 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Which was so wrong because all the geophysicists know that its
everything east of the San Andreas that will fall into the
Atlantic!
Now there's a YASID for someone to pick up on.
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
The New Madrid fault has to figure into that somehow.
Well, surely! The next time it goes off, I'm told iPhones will ring from
coast to coast! Briefly.

Dave, and we'll find out JUST how geologically stable Oak Ridge's dumping
grounds are
Gene Wirchenko
2017-10-20 02:09:51 UTC
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 13:24:14 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<***@sonic.net> wrote:

[snip]
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Which was so wrong because all the geophysicists know that its
everything east of the San Andreas that will fall into the Atlantic!
ObRASFW: I can not remember the name of the story or its author,
but there was a short story about that happening. It ends with the
main character (a scientist working on earthquake research) swearing
something like "Sonofabitch! The computer was right!"

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
James Nicoll
2017-10-20 02:12:42 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 13:24:14 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
[snip]
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Which was so wrong because all the geophysicists know that its
everything east of the San Andreas that will fall into the Atlantic!
ObRASFW: I can not remember the name of the story or its author,
but there was a short story about that happening. It ends with the
main character (a scientist working on earthquake research) swearing
something like "Sonofabitch! The computer was right!"
It's a Ben Bova. And while I do not know the title, I remember what
collection it is in. Just a mo.

"A Slight Miscalculation", first published in the Aug 1971 edition of
The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Greg Goss
2017-10-20 14:28:59 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
2012 was great when California fell into the ocean.
Which was so wrong because all the geophysicists know that its
everything east of the San Andreas that will fall into the Atlantic!
I think Niven did that in a super-short once, didn't he?
Quadibloc
2017-10-21 00:10:30 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
2012 was great when California fell into the ocean.
Which was so wrong because all the geophysicists know that its
everything east of the San Andreas that will fall into the Atlantic!
I think Niven did that in a super-short once, didn't he?
I think the same principle was applied to a Bugs Bunny
cartoon about someone sawing a limb from a tree or something
like that...

so it's an old joke.

John Savard
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 18:41:46 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
Has all the earmarks of a truly *bad* movie.
I have high (low) hopes for "Geostorm", which I'll probably see this weekend.
I can't even make it through the TV ads without wanting to throw
something at the TV.
BTW: To my surprise, 2005's "Supervolcano" is actually
watchable, and more or less scientifically accurate. Yellowstone
again.
Anything that has Yellowstone erupting is of questionable scientic
accuracy, IMO. But at least's it's set in a place that has volcanic
activity (as oppposed to Los Angeles), so it's remarkably realistic
for Hollywood.

Kevrob
2017-10-19 17:08:56 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
Here's another one: "Saturn 3."

At least Farrah looked purty.

Kevin R
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 18:44:45 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
I had to check to make sure that wasn't Outland. The suckage blurs
into a single, large blob if you drill enough holes in your head to
forget.

Juho Julkunen
2017-10-19 19:31:09 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
I might have to watch that again. My memory is that it was pretty good
for what it was. And unlike the other titles mentioned here, it's
actually on my DVD shelf (still in wraps, like many of them).

Amusingly, the blurb on the cover proclaims that it is

"En av historiens största och bästa actionthrillers".
Juho Julkunen
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 21:42:30 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
The production values were excellent. One of the best Mission
Control sets I recall seeing in a movie. But no movie that has OJ
Simpson (in his first movie role, IIRC), pre-Law & Order Sam
Watterson as an astronaut, and Telly Savalas as a helicopter pilot
who blames - literally - all the words ills on "fags" can possibly
be anything other than bad. At points, so bad it's funny, but it's
just a beautifully crafted piece of shit.

(And, of course, the premise is just *stupid*, but that's hardly
even noteworthy in Hollywood.)
Post by Juho Julkunen
And unlike the other titles
mentioned here, it's actually on my DVD shelf (still in wraps,
like many of them).
I have a collection of terrible movies, too. I even have the one
season of the short-lived Flash Gordon where Flash is a Canadian
marathon runner and the big bad guy is Ming the Accountant, and
only Don S. Davis was self aware enough to know what a turkey it
was.
Post by Juho Julkunen
Amusingly, the blurb on the cover proclaims that it is
"En av historiens största och bästa actionthrillers".
Heh. It barely qualifies as an *action* thriller at all. But they
did spend their money well on the visuals.

Quadibloc
2017-10-19 22:02:14 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
I even have the one
season of the short-lived Flash Gordon where Flash is a Canadian
marathon runner and the big bad guy is Ming the Accountant, and
only Don S. Davis was self aware enough to know what a turkey it
was.
I'm aware of a version of Flash Gordon as a TV series that was made in
Germany, but not this one.

John Savard
Quadibloc
2017-10-19 22:07:04 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
I even have the one
season of the short-lived Flash Gordon where Flash is a Canadian
marathon runner and the big bad guy is Ming the Accountant, and
only Don S. Davis was self aware enough to know what a turkey it
was.
I'm aware of a version of Flash Gordon as a TV series that was made in
Germany, but not this one.
The one I'm thinking of is the one starring Steve Holland.
Wikipedia tells me it was filmed both in West Berlin and in
Marseille. And the premise was changed; Flash Gordon was placed in
the year 3203 A. D..

John Savard
Quadibloc
2017-10-19 22:12:43 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
I even have the one
season of the short-lived Flash Gordon where Flash is a Canadian
marathon runner and the big bad guy is Ming the Accountant, and
only Don S. Davis was self aware enough to know what a turkey it
was.
I'm aware of a version of Flash Gordon as a TV series that was made in
Germany, but not this one.
The one I'm thinking of is the one starring Steve Holland.
Wikipedia tells me it was filmed both in West Berlin and in
Marseille. And the premise was changed; Flash Gordon was placed in
the year 3203 A. D..
...perhaps the one you're thinking of is the one from 2007.
Supposedly while the first few episodes were absolutely awful, some
of the later ones were actually good, at least according to *one*
critic quoted on Wikipedia.

John Savard
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 22:32:16 UTC
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 4:07:06 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 4:02:16 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 3:42:33 PM UTC-6, Gutless
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
I even have the one
season of the short-lived Flash Gordon where Flash is a
Canadian marathon runner and the big bad guy is Ming the
Accountant, and only Don S. Davis was self aware enough to
know what a turkey it was.
I'm aware of a version of Flash Gordon as a TV series that
was made in Germany, but not this one.
The one I'm thinking of is the one starring Steve Holland.
Wikipedia tells me it was filmed both in West Berlin and in
Marseille. And the premise was changed; Flash Gordon was placed
in the year 3203 A. D..
...perhaps the one you're thinking of is the one from 2007.
Supposedly while the first few episodes were absolutely awful,
some of the later ones were actually good, at least according to
*one* critic quoted on Wikipedia.
Once the "fan" feedback worked its way through the production
process, yeah, that last few episodes were pretty good. But it was
*far* too late by them.

"I was looking forward to the commercials."

2017-10-19 22:31:28 UTC
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 4:02:16 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 3:42:33 PM UTC-6, Gutless
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
I even have the one
season of the short-lived Flash Gordon where Flash is a
Canadian marathon runner and the big bad guy is Ming the
Accountant, and only Don S. Davis was self aware enough to
know what a turkey it was.
I'm aware of a version of Flash Gordon as a TV series that was
made in Germany, but not this one.
The one I'm thinking of is the one starring Steve Holland.
That appears to be from the mid 50s. This is not that. (And that
probably had better special effects. I'm sure it at least had space
ships.)

Flash was played by a guy named Eric Johnson, and Don S. Davis is
the only actor in it that anybody not related to them would
recognize.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0959086/?ref_=nv_sr_3
Wikipedia tells me it was filmed both in West Berlin and in
Marseille. And the premise was changed; Flash Gordon was placed
in the year 3203 A. D..
That sounds like it ought to be Buck Rogers.

2017-10-19 22:27:35 UTC
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 3:42:33 PM UTC-6, Gutless
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
I even have the one
season of the short-lived Flash Gordon where Flash is a
Canadian marathon runner and the big bad guy is Ming the
Accountant, and only Don S. Davis was self aware enough to know
what a turkey it was.
I'm aware of a version of Flash Gordon as a TV series that was
made in Germany, but not this one.
From the SciFi channel shortly before (2007) they rebranded
themselves the Syphilis Channel. It's really difficult to count all
the ways in which it sucked.

Flash was a Canadian marathon runner, not an American football
player.

Dr. Zarkov lived in an RV, and didn't shower or shave.

Dale Arden was engaged - to someone else. (Don S. David played her
producer - she was a TV reporter - and almost literally chewed the
scenery. He *knew* how bad the show was, and was just there for the
paycheck. But he never did anything without having some fun.)

The princess was played by an actress with less acting ability than
a life-sized cardboard cutout of herself would have had (I am *not*
exaggerating).

Ming was the guy in charge of a water processing plant (all the
water on Mongo was poisoned with some sort of mutation causing
pollutant, except what his plant produced).

Their f/x budget consisted of somebody's allowance and whatever
change they found in the couch, so they didn't have spaceships.
Mongo was in an alternate dimension, and dimension travel involved
the special effect from Sliders.

The hot alien bounty hunter chick (was Baylin a character in the
source material? Or did they just need an athletic hot chick?)
correctly deduced that Hawkmen had been present at a particular
spot on Earth, after finding a feather. When Hawkmen finally
appeared, they did not have feathers. They flew by flapping their
arms while wearing tattered suede cloaks, and screeching a sound
that someone who has never seen (much less hear) a hawk (or any
other bird) might imagine a hawk might make, after looking at a
picture of a potato.

The "fans" evicerated them in the SciFi Channel web site forums,
where they dubbed Ming "Ming the Accountant." One pundit offered
the opinion that "I was looking forward to the commercials." (Which
is damning enough on any network, but this was SciFi during the
Bonnie "I had science fiction" Hammer days, and they has some of
the most annoyingly offensive commercials on television.)

The sad thing is, once the "fan" feedback worked its way though the
whole production process (they obviously had most of the season's
scripts at least at treatment stage before the first episode
aired), they killed off the fiance (in a way that guaranteed he'd
be back the next season as a villian, and, if it lasted to a third
season, reformed as a Conflicted Good Guy ally - and it could have
worked), and gave the actors something to work with. Turned out
they could actually *act* (except the princess, and even she
actually managed to be more animated than the cardboard cutout, if
only barely) The last 3 or 4 episodes were actually pretty good (at
least in the "it feels good when I stop" sort of way you get when
you've been pounding on your gentials with a hammer). But it was
far too late at that point. The only people left watching were,
like me, the sort who can't look away from a train wreck.

The DVDs at least cost more than the shipping (which proves it
doesn's suck as much as Alien Apocalypse[1]).

http://tinyurl.com/y8zcdnzj

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Gordon-Complete-Eric-
Johnson/dp/B00BHLTIXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508451380&sr=8-1
&keywords=flash+gordon+dvd+2007

[1] A very useful rating system for movies is to divide the cost of
the DVD by the cost of shipping on Amazon. If the number is less
than 3 or so, the movie is likely not very good. If it's less than
2, it's a genuine turkey. If it's less than one, it's probably so
epically bad that it's so bad it's good. Except Alien Apocalypse.
It's so far beyond so bad it's good that it's just bad again.)

Quadibloc
2017-10-20 01:26:50 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
The hot alien bounty hunter chick (was Baylin a character in the
source material? Or did they just need an athletic hot chick?)
correctly deduced that Hawkmen had been present at a particular
spot on Earth, after finding a feather. When Hawkmen finally
appeared, they did not have feathers. They flew by flapping their
arms while wearing tattered suede cloaks, and screeching a sound
that someone who has never seen (much less hear) a hawk (or any
other bird) might imagine a hawk might make, after looking at a
picture of a potato.
I could not help laughing upon reading this.

John Savard
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-20 02:39:35 UTC
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 4:27:38 PM UTC-6, Gutless
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
The hot alien bounty hunter chick (was Baylin a character in
the source material? Or did they just need an athletic hot
chick?) correctly deduced that Hawkmen had been present at a
particular spot on Earth, after finding a feather. When Hawkmen
finally appeared, they did not have feathers. They flew by
flapping their arms while wearing tattered suede cloaks, and
screeching a sound that someone who has never seen (much less
hear) a hawk (or any other bird) might imagine a hawk might
make, after looking at a picture of a potato.
I could not help laughing upon reading this.
Trust me, the description of it is *far* funnier than the show.

Kevrob
2017-10-20 03:00:57 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Flash was a Canadian marathon runner, not an American football
player.
In the original comic strip, Flash was a polo playing Yalie!

I doubt that "Joe Namath" version of Gordon from the 1980 film
would have lasted 10 seconds in a sword duel!

Kevin R
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-20 05:22:18 UTC
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 6:27:38 PM UTC-4, Gutless
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Flash was a Canadian marathon runner, not an American football
player.
In the original comic strip, Flash was a polo playing Yalie!
But still an American.
I doubt that "Joe Namath" version of Gordon from the 1980 film
would have lasted 10 seconds in a sword duel!
Never bring a sword to a laser gun fight.

David DeLaney
2017-10-23 07:05:32 UTC
Post by Kevrob
I doubt that "Joe Namath" version of Gordon from the 1980 film
would have lasted 10 seconds in a sword duel!
Never bring a sword to a laser gun fight.
Unless it's the right color to reflect the la-sers, of course.

Dave, trust the Computer
Jack Bohn
2017-10-22 01:57:55 UTC
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy wrote:
[Flash Gordon TV series]
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
From the SciFi channel shortly before (2007) they rebranded
themselves the Syphilis Channel. It's really difficult to count all
the ways in which it sucked.
The hot alien bounty hunter chick (was Baylin a character in the
source material? Or did they just need an athletic hot chick?)
Not in the Sundays drawn by Alex Raymond through 1943. [*] I'm guessing she and Ming's assistant (, Rankol, apparently, he was dubbed "The Dark Lord of the Segway," and that's how I think of him) are additions.
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
correctly deduced that Hawkmen had been present at a particular
spot on Earth, after finding a feather. When Hawkmen finally
appeared, they did not have feathers. They flew by flapping their
arms while wearing tattered suede cloaks, and screeching a sound
that someone who has never seen (much less hear) a hawk (or any
other bird) might imagine a hawk might make, after looking at a
picture of a potato.
The "Hawkmen" were the last straw. The makers thought winged Hawkmen ridiculous, but only because someone told them it was ridiculous. Theses "Hawkmen" flying with cloaks the size of bath towels shows they had no ability to make that determination themselves.

[*] Nor the Mac Raboy-drawn Sundays of the late '40s through '60s. Interesting thing about those: towards the end of 1950 Flash, Dale, and Zarkov headed for Earth again, getting there in March of 1951, where they proposed using their rocketship to jumpstart a space program. They did a bit of that "Destination Moon" action, but with beetle-men, and time started slipping, slipping, slipping into the future. The building of a space station and trips to Mars, Venus, etc, soon followed, then enough commerce for space pirates. Soon a story featured a young fellow whose father had been away rocketing his entire childhood. I won't accuse the 50's TV show of being faithful to the comics rather than trying to be "Space Patrol," but it is an interesting coincidence.
-Jack
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-22 02:21:00 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
[Flash Gordon TV series]
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
From the SciFi channel shortly before (2007) they rebranded
themselves the Syphilis Channel. It's really difficult to count
all the ways in which it sucked.
The hot alien bounty hunter chick (was Baylin a character in
the source material? Or did they just need an athletic hot
chick?)
Not in the Sundays drawn by Alex Raymond through 1943. [*] I'm
guessing she and Ming's assistant (, Rankol, apparently, he was
dubbed "The Dark Lord of the Segway," and that's how I think of
him) are additions.
I had suspected as much for her. Never gave Flipper Boy much
thought (though he actually *tried* to act, even in the beginning,
making him either better, or worse, than everyone else.)
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
correctly deduced that Hawkmen had been present at a particular
spot on Earth, after finding a feather. When Hawkmen finally
appeared, they did not have feathers. They flew by flapping
their arms while wearing tattered suede cloaks, and screeching
a sound that someone who has never seen (much less hear) a hawk
(or any other bird) might imagine a hawk might make, after
looking at a picture of a potato.
The "Hawkmen" were the last straw. The makers thought winged
Hawkmen ridiculous, but only because someone told them it was
ridiculous. Theses "Hawkmen" flying with cloaks the size of
bath towels shows they had no ability to make that determination
themselves.
Rounded to the nearest millionth of a percentage point, I am about
100% certain it was because they didn't have the budge to rent wing
props. I strongly suspect the suede cloaks were made with leftovers
from some moth eaten high school shop project from decades earlier.
Post by Jack Bohn
[*] Nor the Mac Raboy-drawn Sundays of the late '40s through
'60s. Interesting thing about those: towards the end of 1950
Flash, Dale, and Zarkov headed for Earth again, getting there in
March of 1951, where they proposed using their rocketship to
jumpstart a space program. They did a bit of that "Destination
Moon" action, but with beetle-men, and time started slipping,
slipping, slipping into the future. The building of a space
station and trips to Mars, Venus, etc, soon followed, then
enough commerce for space pirates. Soon a story featured a
young fellow whose father had been away rocketing his entire
childhood. I won't accuse the 50's TV show of being faithful to
the comics rather than trying to be "Space Patrol," but it is an
interesting coincidence.
Yeah, nobody in Hollywood has *ever* ripped off anyone else, in the
entire history of the industry, as we all know.

(There's a Magnum, P.I. reboot in the works now. The great debate
among fans is whether or not the new Magnum will faithfully
recreate the porn-stache.)

David DeLaney
2017-10-23 07:07:30 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
(There's a Magnum, P.I. reboot in the works now. The great debate
among fans is whether or not the new Magnum will faithfully
recreate the porn-stache.)
If Mitch from Pentatonix can grow into rocking one, I'm sure whoever they
find can manage to, as they say, carry the load.

Dave, P.I. stands for Bukakke International, right? In Latin?
Juho Julkunen
2017-10-21 02:44:52 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
Doesn't really even rate a mention.
Post by Juho Julkunen
"En av historiens största och bästa actionthrillers".
Heh. It barely qualifies as an *action* thriller at all. But they
did spend their money well on the visuals.
There was a chase at the end, right? But no, I don't recall a whole lot
of action.
Juho Julkunen
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-21 05:40:50 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Juho Julkunen
"En av historiens största och bästa actionthrillers".
Heh. It barely qualifies as an *action* thriller at all. But
they did spend their money well on the visuals.
There was a chase at the end, right? But no, I don't recall a
whole lot of action.
It's been quite a while since I've watched it, and I'm no sure my
copy has survived two moves. But I do recall a firefight involving
a helicopter. More than one, in fact. Still, not really an action
movie, and certainly not a *good* one.

Greg Goss
2017-10-21 09:06:51 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
(And even that can't compare to Capircorn One, which was
easily the best made shit movie I've ever seen.)
(And, of course, the premise is just *stupid*, but that's
hardly even noteworthy in Hollywood.)
Heh. It barely qualifies as an *action* thriller at all. But
they did spend their money well on the visuals.
There was a chase at the end, right? But no, I don't recall a
whole lot of action.
It's been quite a while since I've watched it, and I'm no sure my
copy has survived two moves. But I do recall a firefight involving
a helicopter. More than one, in fact. Still, not really an action
movie, and certainly not a *good* one.
I liked it until the point where they didn't know how to end it, so it
turned into a routine government secret cops chase the foreground
characters ... with explosions. Which turned it into any of a hundred
other Hollywood movies.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-21 21:23:45 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
Given how assinine the plot was, it never made it out of "any of a
hundred other Hollywood movies" for me. Except for the production
values.

Moriarty
2017-10-19 21:19:51 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
I've never seen it. However, the events that lead up to climate scientist William Hyde seeing it and his subsequent review of it will go down in the annals of rasfw history as a hilarious highpoint. (If we had annals, which we probably don't.)

-Moriarty
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 21:49:44 UTC
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 2:35:56 AM UTC+11, Gutless
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
If usenet has annals, Wikipedia has to count as part of it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After_Tomorrow

"When paleoclimatologist William Hyde of Duke University was asked
on Usenet if he would see the film, he answered that he would not
unless someone offered him $100.[15] Subscribers to the newsgroup
took up the challenge and, despite Hyde's protests, raised the
$100.[16] Hyde's review on Google Groups criticized the film's
depiction of weather which stopped at national borders; it was "to
climate science as Frankenstein is to heart transplant surgery".
[17]"

Moriarty
2017-10-19 21:53:39 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 2:35:56 AM UTC+11, Gutless
<snip>
[...]
<grin> Ah, the memories!

I'd not seen that, thank you.

-Moriarty
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-19 22:02:01 UTC
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 8:49:47 AM UTC+11, Gutless
[...]
That, and safety nazi vacuum chamber account are my two favorite
usenet posts of all time.

William Hyde
2017-10-20 03:45:05 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
I was tempted today when James said that he wouldn't read TNOTB for less than $1000 to say that I wouldn't read it for less than $500.

But then I remembered that I have read it. And I was sad.

William Hyde
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-20 05:23:52 UTC
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 5:49:47 PM UTC-4, Gutless
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
"Fool me once shame on you . . ."

2017-10-17 22:58:13 UTC
On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 1:13:02 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc
On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 10:02:50 AM UTC-6, Gutless
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
So was the link you didn't read and snipped out.
Science marches on. Yes, there had been prior peer-reviewed
research that said that it would be tens of thousands of years
before the Yellowstone caldera was likely to erupt again. But
that does not in any way prevent valid _new_ discoveries from
being made that, based on new information, change this
conclusion.
There's no guarantee that *either* group of scientists won't be
proved wrong in the future.
John Savard
I've seen proposals to cool the magma chamber down by drilling
around the edge and pumping in water (not the center, that could
trigger the eruption.
That, too, is covered in the link I posted. TLDR: No, nobody is
propsing that. At least, nobody a rational person would take
seriously as to what time of day it is.

Lynn McGuire
2017-10-18 00:23:12 UTC
[...]
They could probably pump in the entire Missouri river and still not have
enough water to cool the magma chamber.

And think of all the dead rainbow trout. That would be as serious sin
as they are so much fun to catch (I caught about 18 last May).

Lynn
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-18 02:03:27 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
But then, they wouldn't have to cool the entirety of it to room
temperature.

But like I said, nobody is proposing that that can be taken
seriously.

Quadibloc
2017-10-18 03:24:30 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
They could probably pump in the entire Missouri river and still not have
enough water to cool the magma chamber.
How about diverting the Mississippi and Atchafalaya rivers instead? That way, even
if it doesn't do anything about the magma chamber, at least it will solve the
flooding problem...

John Savard
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-10-18 03:50:39 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Lynn McGuire
They could probably pump in the entire Missouri river and still not have
enough water to cool the magma chamber.
How about diverting the Mississippi and Atchafalaya rivers instead? That way, even
if it doesn't do anything about the magma chamber, at least it will solve the
flooding problem...
John Savard
If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava,
let 'em go, because man, they're gone.

-- Jack Handey
--
------
2017-10-18 04:56:48 UTC
In article
On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 6:23:15 PM UTC-6, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
They could probably pump in the entire Missouri river and
still not have enough water to cool the magma chamber.
How about diverting the Mississippi and Atchafalaya rivers
instead? That way, even
if it doesn't do anything about the magma chamber, at least it
will solve the flooding problem...
John Savard
If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava,
let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
-- Jack Handey
Florida Man would disagree. And get his headline on Fark.

Greg Goss
2017-10-19 05:07:34 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Lynn McGuire
They could probably pump in the entire Missouri river and still not have
enough water to cool the magma chamber.
How about diverting the Mississippi and Atchafalaya rivers instead? That way, even
if it doesn't do anything about the magma chamber, at least it will solve the
flooding problem...
John Savard
If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava,
let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
Road Closed.
http://www.focusedonlight.com/2012/12/hiking-in-search-of-lava-on-the-big-island-of-hawaii-part-1/
Anthony Nance
2017-10-19 12:17:44 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Lynn McGuire
They could probably pump in the entire Missouri river and still not have
enough water to cool the magma chamber.
How about diverting the Mississippi and Atchafalaya rivers instead? That way, even
if it doesn't do anything about the magma chamber, at least it will solve the
flooding problem...
John Savard
If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava,
let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
Road Closed.
http://www.focusedonlight.com/2012/12/hiking-in-search-of-lava-on-the-big-island-of-hawaii-part-1/
I've been fortunate to be there and see that - awesome to
experience first hand. We didn't do the night cruise to watch
lava flow into the ocean, though, which I now regret.

It was really interesting to feel heat rising out of the ground
(kind of like opening your oven at a low setting), as well as
being within feet of steam venting from the ground in some places.

Tony
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2017-10-19 16:15:46 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava,
let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
Road Closed.
http://www.focusedonlight.com/2012/12/hiking-in-search-of-lava-on-the-big-island-of-hawaii-part-1/
I've been fortunate to be there and see that - awesome to
experience first hand. We didn't do the night cruise to watch
lava flow into the ocean, though, which I now regret.
We did see the lava flow into the ocean, but (a) the main flow has
recently crusted over, so it's much less dramatic than it used to be,
and (b) our captain was cautious, so we didn't get all that close, and
the visibility wasn't what I might have liked.

Still, it was very impressive, with the red-lit steam cloud billowing
up.
Post by Anthony Nance
It was really interesting to feel heat rising out of the ground
(kind of like opening your oven at a low setting), as well as
being within feet of steam venting from the ground in some places.
Yes. We hiked down into one of the craters and checked out some
vents, as well as walking the sulfur vent trail at the national park,
and taking an air tour that gave us a pretty good look at the magma
pool in a different crater.
Greg Goss
2017-10-18 04:20:35 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
I've seen proposals to cool the magma chamber down by drilling
around the edge and pumping in water (not the center, that could
trigger the eruption.
That, too, is covered in the link I posted. TLDR: No, nobody is
propsing that. At least, nobody a rational person would take
seriously as to what time of day it is.
They could probably pump in the entire Missouri river and still not have
enough water to cool the magma chamber.
And think of all the dead rainbow trout. That would be as serious sin
as they are so much fun to catch (I caught about 18 last May).
Of course, if you can pump in a major river without doing much to the
resource, you could make a living harvesting the steam.
Lynn McGuire
2017-10-18 16:54:19 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
I've seen proposals to cool the magma chamber down by drilling
around the edge and pumping in water (not the center, that could
trigger the eruption.
That, too, is covered in the link I posted. TLDR: No, nobody is
propsing that. At least, nobody a rational person would take
seriously as to what time of day it is.
They could probably pump in the entire Missouri river and still not have
enough water to cool the magma chamber.
And think of all the dead rainbow trout. That would be as serious sin
as they are so much fun to catch (I caught about 18 last May).
Of course, if you can pump in a major river without doing much to the
resource, you could make a living harvesting the steam.
Geothermal is alive and well in the USA. I include this installation as
a model in my software.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a2540/4245896/

Lynn
Greg Goss
2017-10-19 05:15:21 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Greg Goss
Of course, if you can pump in a major river without doing much to the
resource, you could make a living harvesting the steam.
Geothermal is alive and well in the USA. I include this installation as
a model in my software.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a2540/4245896/
I lost a small investment in a geothermal project near Pemberton BC.
I don't think Canada has any geothermal power actually running yet.
Lynn McGuire
2017-10-19 18:18:23 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Greg Goss
Of course, if you can pump in a major river without doing much to the
resource, you could make a living harvesting the steam.
Geothermal is alive and well in the USA. I include this installation as
a model in my software.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a2540/4245896/
I lost a small investment in a geothermal project near Pemberton BC.
I don't think Canada has any geothermal power actually running yet.
According to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_power_in_Canada
there are 30,000 geothermal heating projects running in Canada but zero
geothermal power projects.

Lynn
Peter Trei
2017-10-19 18:49:10 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Greg Goss
Of course, if you can pump in a major river without doing much to the
resource, you could make a living harvesting the steam.
Geothermal is alive and well in the USA. I include this installation as
a model in my software.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a2540/4245896/
I lost a small investment in a geothermal project near Pemberton BC.
I don't think Canada has any geothermal power actually running yet.
According to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_power_in_Canada
there are 30,000 geothermal heating projects running in Canada but zero
geothermal power projects.
...and according to http://www.energy.ca.gov/almanac/renewables_data/geothermal

there are 43 geothermal power projects in California, with a capacity of 2.7 GW.
Last year, they generated 11,582 GWh. California also imported 700 GWh of
geothermal power, together amounting to 5.84% of the state's total system power.

pt
Scott Lurndal
2017-10-17 18:34:01 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
So was the link you didn't read and snipped out.
Science marches on. Yes, there had been prior peer-reviewed research that said
that it would be tens of thousands of years before the Yellowstone caldera was
likely to erupt again. But that does not in any way prevent valid _new_
discoveries from being made that, based on new information, change this
conclusion.
It's still not clear to me that you actually _read_ the research.

The research points out that _once the magma chamber starts to fill_,
the interval to a full eruption may be much shorter than had been previously
believed.

In no way does the research imply that Yellowstone will erupt at any
point in the next millenium.

Or as snopes so accurately put it:

"Research documenting chemical changes in the Yellowstone
magma chamber prior to a past eruption does not affect an
eruption's future probability".
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

J. Clarke
2017-10-18 01:22:14 UTC
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 10:12:59 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
So was the link you didn't read and snipped out.
Science marches on. Yes, there had been prior peer-reviewed research that said
that it would be tens of thousands of years before the Yellowstone caldera was
likely to erupt again. But that does not in any way prevent valid _new_
discoveries from being made that, based on new information, change this
conclusion.
There's no guarantee that *either* group of scientists won't be proved wrong in
the future.
People need to learn the difference between a prediction and a test of
a model.

If x model is so then it will explode in a billion years. If y model
is so then it will explode tomorrow. We can discard z model because
it says that it should have exploded last Tuesday.

None of these are predictions.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-18 02:04:03 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
[...]
Damn, Quaddie, you made 'tard-boy look like the smart one.

Dimensional Traveler
2017-10-18 02:38:37 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
So was the link you didn't read and snipped out.
Science marches on. Yes, there had been prior peer-reviewed research that said
that it would be tens of thousands of years before the Yellowstone caldera was
likely to erupt again. But that does not in any way prevent valid _new_
discoveries from being made that, based on new information, change this
conclusion.
There's no guarantee that *either* group of scientists won't be proved wrong in
the future.
People need to learn the difference between a prediction and a test of
a model.
If x model is so then it will explode in a billion years. If y model
is so then it will explode tomorrow. We can discard z model because
it says that it should have exploded last Tuesday.
None of these are predictions.
You're never going to make it as a world class scientist if you bring
facts into a scientific debate.
2017-10-18 04:56:05 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
[...]
I really don't think we need to worry about J being a world class
scientist anyway, but he did make Quaddie look stupid.

Lynn McGuire

Lynn
Lynn McGuire
2017-10-17 19:21:17 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/257451-yellowstone-supervolca
no-erupt-sooner-expected
John Savard
For values of "they" that start and end with people who have snake
oil on sale for a discount price (because otherwise, even the
gullible won't buy it).
http://www.science20.com/robert_walker/no_yellowstone_is_not_going_to
_erupt_as_a_supervolcano_soon_no_it_cant_destroy_mankind-227295
http://tinyurl.com/ybfdakzo
But I suspect Lynn could name a book about it causing an EMP that
shorts out the neurons on our brains and kills everyone but wingnut
preppers whose brain wiring is immune. And he'll tell us how
fantastic a book it is, better than anything else ever written
because it's so *realistic*!
Awesome, I got slammed by GUCS ! I feel special living in his
consciousness like that.

And there is a excellent trilogy about Yellowstone:
https://www.amazon.com/Ashfall-Trilogy-Mike-Mullin/dp/1933718749/

I've got another series if interested.

Lynn
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-10-17 23:00:59 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
QED. I knew I could count on you to do as you were told.

Lynn McGuire
2017-10-18 00:20:33 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
You are welcome.