Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should Have On Their Shelves
2017-05-11 14:19:35 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should Have On Their Shelves

http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves

I've tweeked the titled and clarified the foot notes. No links because it
was a busy week.

Interestingly, Rossetti's brother Gabby seems to have been something of a
dauber in his own right, although his sister's influence must have helped.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
William Hyde
2017-05-11 18:40:55 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I've tweeked the titled and clarified the foot notes. No links because it
was a busy week.
Interestingly, Rossetti's brother Gabby seems to have been something of a
dauber in his own right, although his sister's influence must have helped.
Not to mention their vampire uncle.

ObSF: "Hide me among the graves"

William Hyde
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-05-11 20:44:56 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
I've tweeked the titled and clarified the foot notes. No links because it
was a busy week.
Interestingly, Rossetti's brother Gabby seems to have been something of a
dauber in his own right, although his sister's influence must have helped.
Not to mention their vampire uncle.
You mean John William Polidori? He wrote an early vampire story,
but I can't find any indication that he practiced vampirism
himself. What do you know that I don't?
William Hyde
2017-05-12 22:23:18 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
I've tweeked the titled and clarified the foot notes. No links because it
was a busy week.
Interestingly, Rossetti's brother Gabby seems to have been something of a
dauber in his own right, although his sister's influence must have helped.
Not to mention their vampire uncle.
You mean John William Polidori? He wrote an early vampire story,
but I can't find any indication that he practiced vampirism
himself. What do you know that I don't?
That was just a reference to the Tim Powers novel I mentioned above, which is in large part the story of Christina Rossetti and her siblings escaping the influence of the undead Polidori.

I'm a big Tim Powers fan, so the fact that I really, really, liked that novel may not be relevant here.

But he has stopped mutilating his protagonists. At least physically.

William Hyde
Default User
2017-05-11 18:45:38 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should Have On Their Shelves
"The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers"

They weren't traders in the usual sense. They were contractors that would bore wormholes to facilitate interstellar transport.

Brian
Michael F. Stemper
2017-05-11 19:29:41 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I immediately followed the link to see which Norton made this list. She
had multiple trader-type series, so I was sure one of her works would be
on it.

Just out of curiosity, how did you choose _Sargasso of Space_? I have no
problem with the choice, but would like to know why this instead of,
e.g., _Moon of Three Rings_.

(I suppose that if I'd been around when you initiated these list posts,
I'd know that.)
--
Michael F. Stemper
Economists have correctly predicted seven of the last three recessions.
James Nicoll
2017-05-12 03:57:32 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I immediately followed the link to see which Norton made this list. She
had multiple trader-type series, so I was sure one of her works would be
on it.
Just out of curiosity, how did you choose _Sargasso of Space_? I have no
problem with the choice, but would like to know why this instead of,
e.g., _Moon of Three Rings_.
I like the Solar Queen series (with one exception) and I like beginning
at the beginning.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Besides, Sargasso is more focused on a commercial venture.
James Nicoll
2017-05-12 15:51:16 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I immediately followed the link to see which Norton made this list. She
had multiple trader-type series, so I was sure one of her works would be
on it.
Just out of curiosity, how did you choose _Sargasso of Space_? I have no
problem with the choice, but would like to know why this instead of,
e.g., _Moon of Three Rings_.
I like the Solar Queen series (with one exception) and I like beginning
at the beginning.
Besides, Sargasso is more focused on a commercial venture.
Did the Solar Queen ever have a successful commercial venture? I assume
somewhere there's an unpublished MS detailing their bankruptcy.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
2017-05-12 16:02:15 UTC
[...]
Andre Norton only wrote about the times they had problems. IIRC, there
were references to profitable routes (which they sold off to somebody
who could properly exploit them).
‹-----------------------------------------------------
2017-05-12 16:18:43 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
[...]
I read three of the original four for the SFBC and as far as I could
tell, one begins where the last one left off. Voodoo Planet (the one
I was not sent) seems to be a side-quest but otherwise they always
seem to have purchased a pig in a poke. If it's not alien traps and
space pirates, it's plague and or mutants.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
2017-05-12 19:36:43 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
[...]
Yeah but that doesn't mean they didn't make a profit. In Sargasso of
Space they bought the exploitation rights cheap and while they didn't
retain them they loaded up all the pirate loot they could carry in their
holds on the way out. In Plague Ship all they have to do is solve a
somewhat worse than usual pest control issue and they are free to sell
their cargo of low-volume high-profit-margin alien gems. It's probably
the best trade deal they'll ever make even if the big guys push them out
of the long term trade by outbidding them. Voodoo Planet is probably,
short term, the worst of the book in terms of profit margin, but that's
because they're actually spending the small fortunes they made in
Sargasso and Plague Ship on a refit of their ship and just screwing
around while they wait for that be done.They're actually making the
transition from tramp freighter to an actual shipping line with a set
trade route. By the end of Postmarked the Stars, once they've managed
to fend off the threat to their government contract they're actually
talking about acquiring a second ship.
Bill Dugan
2017-05-12 16:23:17 UTC
[...]
It's mostly the times when things go wrong that provide good material
for novels.
-dsr-
2017-05-12 18:19:29 UTC
Post by Bill Dugan
[...]
Which leads me into the one (series) that James should definitely have included here.

The Tales of the Solar Clipper Era, by Nathan Lowell, starting with Quarter Share and
working its way up through the ranks to Owner's Share:

a) are focused on merchant traders - in space.
b) has almost no violence. (Two or so incidents in the entire series.)
c) stuff goes wrong from time to time, but rarely to the point of threatening a ship, and
never to the point of threatening a planet
d) held my attention anyway

-dsr-
James Nicoll
2017-05-12 19:18:52 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Bill Dugan
[...]
I literally only learned that it existed yesterday.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
2017-05-12 22:15:58 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Bill Dugan
[...]
There's a joke in there somewhere about not knowing of the existence of
a Required To Own Core Book....
"That's my secret, Captain: I'm always angry."
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-05-12 22:53:49 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Post by -dsr-
Post by Bill Dugan
[...]
And surely everybody's definition of concepts like "Required" and
"Core" is going to be different.
2017-05-13 00:11:35 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Post by -dsr-
Post by Bill Dugan
[...]
Niggly little details like that tend to ruin jokes.

:)
"That's my secret, Captain: I'm always angry."
James Nicoll
2017-05-13 03:32:49 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Post by -dsr-
Post by Bill Dugan
[...]
It's a future list. Stuff I know I should have read by now but have
not.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
2017-05-13 04:45:12 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Post by -dsr-
Post by Bill Dugan
[...]
But you know those particular items of Stuff exist, so sorry, not the
same thing. ;)
"That's my secret, Captain: I'm always angry."
-dsr-
2017-05-13 00:13:11 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Bill Dugan
[...]
Ah, one of yesterday's lucky ten thousand. Excellent.

They are very well done, after the first chapter of the first book
which might cause you to think you are reading a mediocre Heinlein
juvenile pastiche.

-dsr-
James Nicoll
2017-05-12 04:51:39 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I immediately followed the link to see which Norton made this list. She
had multiple trader-type series, so I was sure one of her works would be
on it.
Just out of curiosity, how did you choose _Sargasso of Space_? I have no
problem with the choice, but would like to know why this instead of,
e.g., _Moon of Three Rings_.
I am sad I no longer recall which Solar Queen story I inadvertently
inspired Norton to review by asking her editor about an inconsistency
in the book nobody had ever mentioned to her.
Post by James Nicoll
(I suppose that if I'd been around when you initiated these list posts,
I'd know that.)
Recurring issues with this little project is it started as a one-off and
aside from "spend a year on it", I have no actual overall plan. I keep
using books I wish I had held off on using until later.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
2017-05-12 04:52:58 UTC
Recurring issues with this little project is it started as a one-off and
aside from "spend a year on it", I have no actual overall plan. I keep
using books I wish I had held off on using until later.
Specifically, there is no grand list of topics I know I will use except
"problematic SF" and "SF you may be surprised to learn I've never read."
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Garrett Wollman
2017-05-11 22:00:58 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I've tweeked the titled and clarified the foot notes. No links because it
was a busy week.
Once again, only one book on one of James's lists that I own. And I'm
not sure whether I've read it or not.

-GAWollman
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is
2017-05-12 05:23:14 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
_Trouble Twisters_ is core?! Please, when talking Trader stories from
Poul Anderson, it is Nicholas van Rijn who is core; David Falkayn is
expansion.
‹-----------------------------------------------------
2017-05-12 12:45:57 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should Have On
Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
_Trouble Twisters_ is core?! Please, when talking Trader stories from
Poul Anderson, it is Nicholas van Rijn who is core; David Falkayn is
expansion.
But van Rijn is more or less a loner (he has staff, but they're
interchangeable); whereas Falkayn has Adzel and Chee Lan, forming
a triangle at least as sturdy as the one in ST:TOS.

I'm forgetting just now which story it was wherein Adzel (the most
gentle of sophonts, but rather large) somehow gets into trouble
and must be temporarily incarcerated; and the chief of police
complains that all the large-prisoner cells in the city are
already full because of that cursed science fiction convention.
2017-05-12 13:24:21 UTC
[...]
Satan's World. Which is actually the Falkayn I would have picked
if it had aged more gracefully.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Don Kuenz
2017-05-12 16:42:50 UTC
[...]
"A list of core trade speculative fiction with triangulated protagonists
written mostly by women that every true sf fan should have on their
shelves" seems to describe the category at this juncture. :0)

Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-05-12 18:14:15 UTC
[...]
Do we ever really see Van Rijn as a trader? His big star turn in
_The Man Who Counts_ was as a shipwrecked schemer
2017-05-12 18:29:46 UTC
[...]
Well, his commercial interest is why Falkayn visits Space Google in
Satan's World, isn't it? And one story involved him dealing with
pirates raiding his commerce ships.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Michael F. Stemper
2017-05-15 19:23:41 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
_Trouble Twisters_ is core?! Please, when talking Trader stories from
Poul Anderson, it is Nicholas van Rijn who is core; David Falkayn is
expansion.
But van Rijn is more or less a loner (he has staff, but they're
interchangeable); whereas Falkayn has Adzel and Chee Lan, forming
a triangle at least as sturdy as the one in ST:TOS.
I'm forgetting just now which story it was wherein Adzel (the most
gentle of sophonts, but rather large) somehow gets into trouble
and must be temporarily incarcerated; and the chief of police
complains that all the large-prisoner cells in the city are
already full because of that cursed science fiction convention.
Do we ever really see Van Rijn as a trader? His big star turn in
_The Man Who Counts_ was as a shipwrecked schemer
We see Old Nick in the following:

2415 - "Margin of Profit"

Previously mentioned. We don't see him engaged in trading. However,
he's very active in running Solar Spice & Liquors (SSL), and in this
one goes out into the field on a dangerous mission.

2416 - _War of the Wing-Men_

Also previously mentioned. I don't believe that it's explicitly stated
why van Rijn is visiting Diomedes and SSL's factor there. However, he's
traveling with Lady Sandra Tamarin. In Chapter III: "Van Rijn purpled;
but one does not talk back to the heiress apparent of a nation with
important trade concessions to offer."

2427 - "Birthright"

In this one, he has called in a field operative of SSL for a detailed
report on a recent mission.

2427 - "Hiding Place"

After escaping pirates, he's busily engaged in "making revises of all
price schedules on pepper and nutmeg for Freya before we get there."

2428 - "Territory"

To solve some issues on t'Kela he sets up commercial arrangements.

2434 - "The Master Key"

As in "Birthright", he's receiving an in-person report from a field
operative. (Neither one is a rewrite of the other; they just use a
similar framing device.)

2437 - _Satan's World_

Previously mentioned. Although he's acting in his role as the head of
SSL, the "trade" that he sets up (with "Google Moon") could also be
labeled "extortion".

2446 - "Lodestar"

Towards the end of his life. He's not trading here, but is tracking
what could be an incredibly valuable find.

2456 - _Mirkheim_

Although he's stil the head of SSL, I don't think that he's doing any
active trading here. He's too busy resisting the Long Night.

(All dates per Miesel)
--
Michael F. Stemper
Galatians 3:28
Michael F. Stemper
2017-05-15 21:31:01 UTC
I'm forgetting just now which story it was wherein Adzel (the most
gentle of sophonts, but rather large) somehow gets into trouble
and must be temporarily incarcerated; and the chief of police
complains that all the large-prisoner cells in the city are
already full because of that cursed science fiction convention.
Chapter VIII of _Satan's World_.

It was actually the "warden" (warden of what wasn't specified), not the
police chief.
--
Michael F. Stemper
This sentence no verb.
lal_truckee
2017-05-13 00:22:35 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I'm somewhat surprised that Blish's Okie tales didn't make a list
highlighting "traders.
James Nicoll
2017-05-13 03:44:13 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I'm somewhat surprised that Blish's Okie tales didn't make a list
highlighting "traders.
I've kind of gone off them. Another series where I think the basic
ideas are interesting but the execution was so so.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2017-05-13 05:33:11 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I'm somewhat surprised that Blish's Okie tales didn't make a list
highlighting "traders.
I've kind of gone off them. Another series where I think the basic
ideas are interesting but the execution was so so.
That was frequently the case with Blish.
Joseph Nebus
2017-05-14 07:44:26 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I'm somewhat surprised that Blish's Okie tales didn't make a list
highlighting "traders.
I've kind of gone off them. Another series where I think the basic
ideas are interesting but the execution was so so.
Which does raise to me the question of whether anyone has
ripped off^W^W adapted and modernized the cities-puttering-about-space
idea, to try making a series with the basic idea but less Blish-y
execution.

(I mean, there's a lot I like about Blish's execution of ideas,
but I can't deny that it often amounts to a bullet in the head at the
order of the City Fathers.)
--
Joseph Nebus
Math: Excuses, But Classed Up Some http://wp.me/p1RYhY-1bP
--------------------------------------------------------+---------------------
David Johnston
2017-05-14 16:00:02 UTC
Post by Joseph Nebus
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I'm somewhat surprised that Blish's Okie tales didn't make a list
highlighting "traders.
I've kind of gone off them. Another series where I think the basic
ideas are interesting but the execution was so so.
Which does raise to me the question of whether anyone has
ripped off^W^W adapted and modernized the cities-puttering-about-space
idea, to try making a series with the basic idea but less Blish-y
execution.
(I mean, there's a lot I like about Blish's execution of ideas,
but I can't deny that it often amounts to a bullet in the head at the
order of the City Fathers.)
The closest I've ever seen is Macross. The whole "Cities flying intact
into space" gimmick is a bit too goofy to invite copying. The truth is
cities are very dependent on their physical location and their network
of transportation routes. Cut them free of those things and well...I
predict cannibalism.
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-05-14 16:07:02 UTC
Post by Joseph Nebus
[...]
Unless you design the "city" from the start to include its own
food and other supply sources. E.g., the standard (never
sufficiently described, but presumably huge) Hydroponics section
in your basic generation ship.

Now, in the Doctor Who episode "The Time of Angels" there's a
very large ship with a somewhat cyborgified forest running from
one end of the ship to the other, photosynthesizing from
starlight. And that's just the air plant. The design crew
didn't show us the food plant, because they didn't need to.
2017-05-14 20:57:09 UTC
Post by Joseph Nebus
[...]
Episode "The Beast Below" has (probably)
a different solution. And a not unconnected
horrible secret.

(In unconnected radio series "Earthsearch",
I think the agricultural section provided
oxygen /and/ food. Until a power cut...)

Then there's the trope of "aliens steal a city" -
usually upwards, may be down if it's the Mole Men,
at least one story had Manhattan Island towed
out to sea. Usually you want the city to be
put back...

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_Crest>
is a "Doctor Who" audio story with a village
yanked into space at one stage; this is not
economically successful (in the story).
Magewolf
2017-05-14 17:19:25 UTC
Post by Joseph Nebus
[...]
The various Macross fleets are the closest I can think of as well. You
could make an argument that generation ships are cities but they usually
have a very different feel to them.

If you have not seen any of the Macross anime the first city ended up in
space after the spaceship it was built around had to do an emergency
space fold taking a large spherical area around it with it. After the
rather pyrrhic victory at the end of the first show, earth wins the war
but most of the planet gets glassed, they start to send out colony
fleets based around city-ships. There are some good images and
descriptions a few post down on this page
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/macross-frontier-question.162618/
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-05-14 18:05:26 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by Joseph Nebus
[...]
Or course "Silent Running" took kind of the opposite tack to sending
cities into space..
2017-05-14 18:39:07 UTC
Post by Joseph Nebus
[...]
E.g. Star Well, which exists in the middle of nowhere because it happens
to be a conveniently located middle of nowhere.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
larry
2017-05-14 20:59:32 UTC
Post by Joseph Nebus
[...]
Or the DS9, before the 'stable wormhold' is discovered.
Orbiting a Cardassian conquered planet that supplies
an ore that for some reason cannot be processed by the slave labour
on-planet. I don't understand the business plan.
--
After investigation, believe that which you have yourselves
tested and found reasonable, and which is for your good
Gautama.
David Johnston
2017-05-15 00:04:20 UTC
Post by Joseph Nebus
[...]
Industrial equipment is notoriously vulnerable to sabotage. It's why
hard rock mining and stoop agricultural labour are the more profitable
application of coerced labour.
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-05-15 00:49:45 UTC
Post by larry
Post by Joseph Nebus
[...]
Or, as Scotty put it, the fancier they make the plumbing, the
easier it is to stop up the drains.
2017-05-15 02:20:35 UTC
Post by Joseph Nebus
[...]
Also, as H. G. Wells demonstrated, it's safest
not to refine Cavorite at ground level :-)
larry
2017-05-23 20:00:14 UTC
Post by Joseph Nebus
[...]
Fergengi have business plans; Cardasians know only dominance.
Gautama.
Robert Bannister
2017-05-24 03:09:06 UTC
Post by larry
Post by David Johnston
Post by Joseph Nebus
[...]
And Kardashians?
--
Robert B. born England a long time ago;
Western Australia since 1972
larry
Gautama.
Michael F. Stemper
2017-05-15 19:31:00 UTC
Post by lal_truckee
Post by James Nicoll
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I'm somewhat surprised that Blish's Okie tales didn't make a list
highlighting "traders.
They didn't really trade. They sold their labor. Highly specialized
labor, but still labor.
--
Michael F. Stemper
Galatians 3:28
Robert Carnegie
2017-05-15 21:26:35 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by lal_truckee
Post by James Nicoll
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I'm somewhat surprised that Blish's Okie tales didn't make a list
highlighting "traders.
They didn't really trade. They sold their labor. Highly specialized
labor, but still labor.
--
Michael F. Stemper
Galatians 3:28
Tradesmen then.

Excuse the language.
Wikipedia illustrates "Tradesman" with a photograph
of tge pilots of a Boeing 777, and invites readers
to consider the more widely (but how frequently?)
applied term "tradesperson".

Which my spell check is rejecting.
Michael F. Stemper
2017-05-15 21:37:51 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by lal_truckee
I'm somewhat surprised that Blish's Okie tales didn't make a list
highlighting "traders.
They didn't really trade. They sold their labor. Highly specialized
labor, but still labor.
Tradesmen then.
That's a reasonable term for what they were, yeah.
--
Michael F. Stemper
This sentence no verb.
Dimensional Traveler
2017-05-15 22:12:03 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by lal_truckee
Post by James Nicoll
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I'm somewhat surprised that Blish's Okie tales didn't make a list
highlighting "traders.
They didn't really trade. They sold their labor. Highly specialized
labor, but still labor.
--
Michael F. Stemper
Galatians 3:28
Tradesmen then.
Excuse the language.
Wikipedia illustrates "Tradesman" with a photograph
of tge pilots of a Boeing 777, and invites readers
to consider the more widely (but how frequently?)
applied term "tradesperson".
Which my spell check is rejecting.
Your spell check is apparently not politically correct. :P
"That's my secret, Captain: I'm always angry."
Greg Goss
2017-05-16 05:18:38 UTC
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by lal_truckee
Post by James Nicoll
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I'm somewhat surprised that Blish's Okie tales didn't make a list
highlighting "traders.
They didn't really trade. They sold their labor. Highly specialized
labor, but still labor.
The friction adjustor field that featured in one of the stories seemed
like a product that they were picking up for resale. I gathered the
impression that trading wasn't their key income, but did exist.
Michael F. Stemper
2017-05-16 20:49:55 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by lal_truckee
Post by James Nicoll
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I'm somewhat surprised that Blish's Okie tales didn't make a list
highlighting "traders.
They didn't really trade. They sold their labor. Highly specialized
labor, but still labor.
The friction adjustor field that featured in one of the stories seemed
like a product that they were picking up for resale. I gathered the
impression that trading wasn't their key income, but did exist.
I'd forgotten that. You definitely have a point there.
--
Michael F. Stemper
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Steve Coltrin
2017-05-13 00:52:35 UTC
begin fnord
Post by James Nicoll
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
Came hoping to see Traveller, was not disappointed.

Is the Cherryh the first appearance in SF of intermodal shipping?

The Chambers _technically_ doesn't belong because they're a road construction
crew, not traders, but the atmosphere is close enough.

My, there's a lot of dudes on that list.
--
Steve Coltrin ***@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel
- Associated Press
Lynn McGuire
2017-05-19 22:42:01 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I've tweeked the titled and clarified the foot notes. No links because it
was a busy week.
Interestingly, Rossetti's brother Gabby seems to have been something of a
dauber in his own right, although his sister's influence must have helped.
I've read two of these.

Why no Liaden books ? Is it because they are Baen now ?
https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Variation-Liaden-Universe/dp/1439134634/

2017-05-19 23:18:57 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
I've tweeked the titled and clarified the foot notes. No links because it
was a busy week.
Interestingly, Rossetti's brother Gabby seems to have been something of a
dauber in his own right, although his sister's influence must have helped.
I've read two of these.
Why no Liaden books ? Is it because they are Baen now ?
https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Variation-Liaden-Universe/dp/1439134634/
Lynn
I wondered taht too, but I wouldn't pick the Crystal books as they are
perhaps the least trade focused Liaden books. The Jethri books, yes, or
the most recent _Alliance of Equals_.
2017-05-19 23:48:02 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
I've tweeked the titled and clarified the foot notes. No links because it
was a busy week.
Interestingly, Rossetti's brother Gabby seems to have been something of a
dauber in his own right, although his sister's influence must have helped.
I've read two of these.
Why no Liaden books ? Is it because they are Baen now ?
https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Variation-Liaden-Universe/dp/1439134634/
Lynn
I wondered taht too, but I wouldn't pick the Crystal books as they are
perhaps the least trade focused Liaden books. The Jethri books, yes, or
the most recent _Alliance of Equals_.
I figured that James would want something older.

2017-05-20 03:50:08 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
I've tweeked the titled and clarified the foot notes. No links because it
was a busy week.
Interestingly, Rossetti's brother Gabby seems to have been something of a
dauber in his own right, although his sister's influence must have helped.
I've read two of these.
Why no Liaden books ? Is it because they are Baen now ?
https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Variation-Liaden-Universe/dp/1439134634/
I am not widely read in the series and had used Agent of Change in a
previous list.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
2017-05-20 05:02:10 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
I've tweeked the titled and clarified the foot notes. No links because it
was a busy week.
Interestingly, Rossetti's brother Gabby seems to have been something of a
dauber in his own right, although his sister's influence must have helped.
I've read two of these.
Why no Liaden books ? Is it because they are Baen now ?
https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Variation-Liaden-Universe/dp/1439134634/
I am not widely read in the series and had used Agent of Change in a
previous list.
Sorry, I had not remembered that.

2017-05-22 20:32:57 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
I've tweeked the titled and clarified the foot notes. No links because it
was a busy week.
Interestingly, Rossetti's brother Gabby seems to have been something of a
dauber in his own right, although his sister's influence must have helped.
I've read two of these.
Why no Liaden books ? Is it because they are Baen now ?
https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Variation-Liaden-Universe/dp/1439134634/
I am not widely read in the series and had used Agent of Change in a
previous list.
Wait, does that mean that you only have one Heinlein book in your lists ?

2017-05-22 21:32:26 UTC
Twenty Core Trader Speculative Fiction Works Every True SF Fan Should
Have On Their Shelves
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/post/twenty-core-trader-speculative-fiction-works-every-true-sf-fan-should-have-on-their-shelves
I've tweeked the titled and clarified the foot notes. No links because it
was a busy week.
Interestingly, Rossetti's brother Gabby seems to have been something of a
dauber in his own right, although his sister's influence must have helped.
I've read two of these.
Why no Liaden books ? Is it because they are Baen now ?
https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Variation-Liaden-Universe/dp/1439134634/
I am not widely read in the series and had used Agent of Change in a
previous list.
Wait, does that mean that you only have one Heinlein book in your lists ?
No.

It sounds like it is time to go over the rules again:

Only one work per author per list

Any given work can appear on only one list

As it happens, I've not used a Heinlein but I could, for example, use
Farhman's Freehold on 20 Core What the fucking fuck? books, and Space
Cadet for 20 Core Books Where Dissing the Natives Was a Bad Idea. I
just won't use a specific book on more than one list.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Stephen Graham
2017-05-22 22:47:24 UTC
That could be an entertaining list.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-05-22 22:53:14 UTC
Post by Stephen Graham
Post by James Nicoll
and Space
Cadet for 20 Core Books Where Dissing the Natives Was a Bad Idea.
That could be an entertaining list.
All die!
O the embarassment!
2017-05-23 00:10:10 UTC
Post by Stephen Graham
Post by James Nicoll
and Space
Cadet for 20 Core Books Where Dissing the Natives Was a Bad Idea.
That could be an entertaining list.
I'd like to see the "What the fucking fuck?" list. :D
"That's my secret, Captain: I'm always angry."
James Nicoll
2017-05-23 00:50:44 UTC
Post by Stephen Graham
Post by James Nicoll
and Space
Cadet for 20 Core Books Where Dissing the Natives Was a Bad Idea.
That could be an entertaining list.
I'd like to see the "What the fucking fuck?" list. :D
It took surprisingly little time to compose. But I am holding it back
for a week when inspiration does not call.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
2017-05-23 02:48:18 UTC
Post by Stephen Graham
Post by James Nicoll
and Space
Cadet for 20 Core Books Where Dissing the Natives Was a Bad Idea.
That could be an entertaining list.
I'd like to see the "What the fucking fuck?" list. :D
It took surprisingly little time to compose. But I am holding it back
for a week when inspiration does not call.
An "ending goes weird" selection is provided by
<http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GainaxEnding>
in which, not unsurprisingly, sf written is well
represented, including by reference and some
examples nearly all of Philip K. Dick.

I believe I've mentioned that I got a copy of
Roger Zelazny's _Today We Choose Faces_ with a
bunch of pages ("signature") missing or swapped,
and it didn't make a lot more sense when I got
the right story in, ostensibly, the right order.
But now I wonder how it stands up against
_The Matrix_? In a weird-off contest...
Dimensional Traveler
2017-05-23 03:09:06 UTC
Post by Stephen Graham
Post by James Nicoll
and Space
Cadet for 20 Core Books Where Dissing the Natives Was a Bad Idea.
That could be an entertaining list.
I'd like to see the "What the fucking fuck?" list. :D
It took surprisingly little time to compose. But I am holding it back
for a week when inspiration does not call.
Meeeeaaaaannnnn. :P
"That's my secret, Captain: I'm always angry."
David DeLaney
2017-05-24 08:13:26 UTC
Post by Stephen Graham
Post by James Nicoll
and Space
Cadet for 20 Core Books Where Dissing the Natives Was a Bad Idea.
That could be an entertaining list.
I'd like to see the "What the fucking fuck?" list. :D
You may be able to assemble one out of his existing My Tears Are Delicious To
You review posts.

Dave, maybe more than one
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
James Nicoll
2017-05-23 00:49:29 UTC
Post by Stephen Graham
Post by James Nicoll
and Space
Cadet for 20 Core Books Where Dissing the Natives Was a Bad Idea.
That could be an entertaining list.
"Congratulations. You have just discovered how far you can push an Elder
God."
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll