A rare SFW Oglaf
2018-07-19 05:22:19 UTC
Which tickles me for some reason.

https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
2018-07-19 14:30:49 UTC
Which tickles me for some reason.
https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
Hmpf. It would not believe I'm over 18.
2018-07-19 16:12:06 UTC
Which tickles me for some reason.
https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
Hmpf. It would not believe I'm over 18.
The scripting is . . . broken, and really, really hates Internet
Explorer.

2018-07-19 16:44:30 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Which tickles me for some reason.
https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
Hmpf. It would not believe I'm over 18.
The scripting is . . . broken, and really, really hates Internet
Explorer.
Just turn off Javascript. I never see any age checkers or other cruft
there that way.

Or, just load the image:

2018-07-19 17:02:34 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Which tickles me for some reason.
https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
Hmpf. It would not believe I'm over 18.
The scripting is . . . broken, and really, really hates Internet
Explorer.
Just turn off Javascript.
I don't know how to do that either.
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://media.oglaf.com/comic/rattleplank.jpg
Thanks; I managed to see it via Firefox.
2018-07-19 16:30:10 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Which tickles me for some reason.
https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
Hmpf. It would not believe I'm over 18.
The scripting is . . . broken, and really, really hates Internet
Explorer.
So I am forced to believe.

Or as Auntie Mame said of the supposedly sweet young thing her
nephew was taken with, "I'd hate to be hanging since she was
eighteen."

I'll try Firefox.

Okay, that worked.

I'm really going to have to migrate off IE one of these times,
but that will require

*getting Hal to let his newszines and LotRO characters alone
long enough to do it for me because I haven't a clue.*

This could take a while.
Johann Klammer
2018-07-19 18:01:56 UTC
SyntaxError: let is a reserved identifier age-confirmation.js:28
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-07-19 18:36:36 UTC
Post by Johann Klammer
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Which tickles me for some reason.
https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
SyntaxError: let is a reserved identifier age-confirmation.js:28
See the Jpg url upthread or turn off js.

After everyone having all these problems, wish I could say it is a classic,
but it's more of a chuckler.
2018-07-19 22:16:20 UTC
Post by Johann Klammer
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Which tickles me for some reason.
https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
SyntaxError: let is a reserved identifier age-confirmation.js:28
See the Jpg url upthread or turn off js.
After everyone having all these problems, wish I could say it is a classic,
but it's more of a chuckler.
Rumpelstiltskin syndrome by proxy? What does he /do/ with
a firstborn kid? Best not to know. What was /she/ doing?
And... guilty, right?
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-07-19 23:25:55 UTC
On Thursday, 19 July 2018 19:36:40 UTC+1, Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Johann Klammer
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Which tickles me for some reason.
https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
SyntaxError: let is a reserved identifier
age-confirmation.js:28
See the Jpg url upthread or turn off js.
After everyone having all these problems, wish I could say it
is a classic, but it's more of a chuckler.
Rumpelstiltskin syndrome by proxy? What does he /do/ with
a firstborn kid? Best not to know.
On that strip? Yeah, it's best not to know. But we probably will
anyway.
What was /she/ doing?
And... guilty, right?
Has there ever been a character there that wasn't guitly of
*something*?

Joy Beeson
2018-07-20 04:05:53 UTC
On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 15:16:20 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Rumpelstiltskin syndrome by proxy? What does he /do/ with
a firstborn kid? Best not to know. What was /she/ doing?
And... guilty, right?
I really, really don't want to know the context of this panel.

But I did like the expression on Rumplestiltskin's face.
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---
https://www.avg.com
David DeLaney
2018-07-23 10:08:01 UTC
Which tickles me for some reason.
https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
Though note that the apothegm above it is random and may or may not be SFW.

The next one, /safety-signs-hell/, looks to be SFW too? The demon is apparently
genderless. Which is odd for this strip.

Dave, this will circle back to angels arguing about whether they themselves
have free will, won't it...
Juho Julkunen
2018-07-23 13:15:51 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Which tickles me for some reason.
https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
Though note that the apothegm above it is random and may or may not be SFW.
The next one, /safety-signs-hell/, looks to be SFW too? The demon is apparently
genderless. Which is odd for this strip.
Completely work safe. Yes, there is a pool of blood from a person with
two severed legs, but no lady nipples.
Juho Julkunen
Robert Carnegie
2018-07-24 20:34:29 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Which tickles me for some reason.
https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
Though note that the apothegm above it is random and may or may not be SFW.
The next one, /safety-signs-hell/, looks to be SFW too? The demon is apparently
genderless. Which is odd for this strip.
Completely work safe. Yes, there is a pool of blood from a person with
two severed legs, but no lady nipples.
This somewhat depends on where you do work. If at a church
it's probably no. By the way, I'm not sure the legs are
severed; prisoners in comics are "traditionally" suspended
with their feet off the ground. This might be technically
fatal due to inability to breathe, like crucifixion, but
that's reality, not comics.

Several of these signs are reminiscent of and possibly
"inspired" by BBC radio comedy series _Old Harry's Game_,
whose initial premise is that an atheist goes to Hell
but doesn't believe in it - another principal character,
besides Satan, is the wickedest man in, or formerly in,
the world, who doesn't appear here. They did however
have a very annoying deceased workplace safety officer
and an inadequately guarded bottomless pit.
Juho Julkunen
2018-07-24 21:18:48 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Which tickles me for some reason.
https://www.oglaf.com/rattleplank/
Though note that the apothegm above it is random and may or may not be SFW.
The next one, /safety-signs-hell/, looks to be SFW too? The demon is apparently
genderless. Which is odd for this strip.
Completely work safe. Yes, there is a pool of blood from a person with
two severed legs, but no lady nipples.
This somewhat depends on where you do work. If at a church
it's probably no. By the way, I'm not sure the legs are
severed; prisoners in comics are "traditionally" suspended
with their feet off the ground. This might be technically
fatal due to inability to breathe, like crucifixion, but
that's reality, not comics.
Uh, his legs end a little above where knees would normally go and leak
a lot of red. I may be jumping to conclusions here, it's true, but they
do look severed to me. I'll grant you that his feet don't seem to be on
the ground. Or anywhere else in the picture.
Juho Julkunen
Robert Carnegie
2018-07-24 21:36:18 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
Looking again, I agree with you now. Indeed -
another tradition in rather unpleasant cartoons,
maybe accurate - there appears to be bone protruding
from the end of each severed limb.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2018-07-27 10:27:11 UTC
On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 14:36:18 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
That is indeed accurate for a limb severed in one go - the muscles draw
back exposing the bone.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility
with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy
Microsoft because the IBM Selectric didn't suck much" - P Seebach, afc
Cryptoengineer
2018-07-27 16:55:45 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
Getting back to the original strip, while this Oglaf may be visually
SFW (about 1/4 of them are - the site's archive even indicates which
are and are not), this is the only strip I can recall (I haven't checked)
which had a theme of 'children in peril', even if off-stage.

2018-07-27 22:23:56 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
I read some way into the archive a while back. Given
the main subject matter, children mostly appear as a
possible consequence of the activity portrayed... and
sometimes not. And I guess you don't count the, uh,
sprites? Or: <https://www.oglaf.com/ornithology/>
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-07-28 01:56:00 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
It's kind of sad what has happened to the strip. There was a pretty
long narrative arc dealing with the apprentice which anchored the
strip (though other arcs played around it, Queen of Winter for
instance..) and which ended with his apparent death (the Lizard of
Doubt says no, but we have not seen him since). Since that the
ambition level dropped a good bit and apart from the "Fun God" arc,
we have just random joke strips. Granted they can be pretty good.
2018-07-29 23:10:44 UTC
And the trend continues for the third week. (If you don't count language
and blood):

https://www.oglaf.com/crimson-queen/
2018-07-24 23:03:38 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by David DeLaney
[...]
Now it won't accept my assurances that I'm (well) over 18. Do
you have an alternate link?
2018-07-25 04:16:31 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by David DeLaney
[...]
Didn't you solve this last time by using firefox?

Well, regardless:

2018-07-25 05:07:59 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by David DeLaney
[...]
So I did, but I'd forgotten.
Post by David DeLaney
https://media.oglaf.com/comic/safetysignsinhell.jpg
Thanks.
Gene Wirchenko
2018-07-26 21:50:01 UTC
On 25 Jul 2018 04:16:31 GMT, ***@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

[snip]
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://media.oglaf.com/comic/safetysignsinhell.jpg
Neat, though I do not get how the last two are relevant.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Robert Carnegie
2018-07-26 22:35:30 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://media.oglaf.com/comic/safetysignsinhell.jpg
Neat, though I do not get how the last two are relevant.
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
I think the second last is SPECIFICALLY a warning
to not do "horns" with your fingers. Satan doesn't
like it, presumably. And maybe they were stuck for
six ideas for the story.

Quite a few _Old Harry's Game_ episodes end with
Satan thwarted and someone saying the wrong thing
so that he takes a dreadful revenge - on the atheist
for instance - but I don't get why it's an arrow
and not the traditional trident or pitchfork. ObSF:
<http://leftbehind.wikia.com/wiki/Satan>

Meanwhile I found... um... this. From 2014. Look, anyway.
<https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/petitions-call-for-return-of-naked-penis-satan-after-vancouver-removes-lewd-statue-from-park>
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-07-26 23:05:19 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
https://media.oglaf.com/comic/safetysignsinhell.jpg
Neat, though I do not get how the last two are relevant.
Sincerely,
Gene Wirchenko
I think the second last is SPECIFICALLY a warning
to not do "horns" with your fingers. Satan doesn't
like it, presumably. And maybe they were stuck for
six ideas for the story.
Quite a few _Old Harry's Game_ episodes end with
Satan thwarted and someone saying the wrong thing
so that he takes a dreadful revenge - on the atheist
for instance - but I don't get why it's an arrow
<http://leftbehind.wikia.com/wiki/Satan>
Meanwhile I found... um... this. From 2014. Look, anyway.
<https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/petitions-call-for-return-of-naked-penis-satan-after-vancouver-removes-lewd-statue-from-park>
Awwwww. Couldn't they have found the poor thing a fig leaf?

Compare the Mutilation of the Herms:

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n08/peter-green/questions-of-class
2018-07-26 23:30:36 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
Weird things. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herma>

"They would be rubbed or anointed with olive oil"

Anyway, mine was doing the "horns" thing (with one hand).
The other isn't shown.