Alice Grove: tree !
2017-02-21 18:12:10 UTC
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree

Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.

2017-02-21 18:36:33 UTC
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree
Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
2017-02-21 19:16:36 UTC
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree
Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
Hmm...

A damned, meddling Tree.
2017-02-21 20:39:44 UTC
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree
Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
Hmm...
A damned, meddling Tree.
There you are.

Notice it's got eyes (I assume they're eyes) where its roots
would otherwise be ... and they're looking at Earth.
2017-02-21 22:23:34 UTC
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree
Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
Hmm...
A damned, meddling Tree.
There you are.
Notice it's got eyes (I assume they're eyes) where its roots
would otherwise be ... and they're looking at Earth.
Like a potato.

(...what do roots usually have to look at,
other than earth? Or a secret hydroponics
cannabis farm, of course.That's a specific
exception.)
Lynn McGuire
2017-02-21 20:55:11 UTC
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree
Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
I expected a big rotating space station.

2017-02-21 21:03:50 UTC
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree
Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
I expected a big rotating space station.
Lynn
I figured a big space station with a tree _inside_ it running life
support and government.
Quadibloc
2017-02-21 22:37:51 UTC
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
I'm terribly cliched. My default expectation would be a humanoid figure in flowing
robes, perhaps unusually tall.

2017-02-22 02:08:23 UTC
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
I'm terribly cliched. My default expectation would be a humanoid figure in flowing
robes, perhaps unusually tall.
No, it was made pretty clear early on that the Praeses were
trees.

Let me check ....

http://www.alicegrove.com/page/157

One of the Praeses is named Cupressaceae. That's a family of
trees, the cypress family.

http://www.alicegrove.com/page/155

Averrhoa is a genus of trees in the Oxalidaceae family.
Auranticarpa is a rainforest tree in western Australia. Desmos
appears to be a piece of sortware.

You can google Aglaia, Calocedrus, Chisocheton, Diplotropis, and
Pheliodendron yourselves. My fingers are getting tired.

They appear to be *mostly* trees.
That's an unusual definition of 'pretty clear'
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2017-02-22 05:07:45 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
I'm terribly cliched. My default expectation would be a humanoid figure in flowing
robes, perhaps unusually tall.
No, it was made pretty clear early on that the Praeses were
trees.
Let me check ....
http://www.alicegrove.com/page/157
One of the Praeses is named Cupressaceae. That's a family of
trees, the cypress family.
That's an unusual definition of 'pretty clear'
It assumes you know Latin, or at least botanical terms.
2017-02-22 05:16:17 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by h***@gmail.com
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
I'm terribly cliched. My default expectation would be a humanoid figure in flowing
robes, perhaps unusually tall.
No, it was made pretty clear early on that the Praeses were
trees.
Let me check ....
http://www.alicegrove.com/page/157
One of the Praeses is named Cupressaceae. That's a family of
trees, the cypress family.
That's an unusual definition of 'pretty clear'
It assumes you know Latin, or at least botanical terms.
I am reasonably certain that we were explicitly told once that the praeses
were trees. I can't find the strip (or possibly bottomtext) without a
full re-read, but I have been expecting space trees all along, and I know
none of the botany latin.
Anthony Nance
2017-02-22 14:01:56 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by h***@gmail.com
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
I'm terribly cliched. My default expectation would be a humanoid figure in flowing
robes, perhaps unusually tall.
No, it was made pretty clear early on that the Praeses were
trees.
Let me check ....
http://www.alicegrove.com/page/157
One of the Praeses is named Cupressaceae. That's a family of
trees, the cypress family.
That's an unusual definition of 'pretty clear'
It assumes you know Latin, or at least botanical terms.
I am reasonably certain that we were explicitly told once that the praeses
were trees. I can't find the strip (or possibly bottomtext) without a
full re-read, but I have been expecting space trees all along, and I know
none of the botany latin.
In http://www.alicegrove.com/page/118
Alice refers to them as "those lovely thinking trees"

In the next one ( http://www.alicegrove.com/page/117 )
Gavia talks about them in terms of forests

And the story of the Blink is #116.
Tony
Kevrob
2017-02-22 17:02:17 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by h***@gmail.com
[...]
Is all this....intergral.....to the plot?

2017-02-22 18:14:22 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
In article
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 1:30:04 PM UTC+11, Dorothy J
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 12:00:10 PM UTC-7, Dorothy J
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Kevin R
It is liad on a little thick..
2017-02-23 03:39:04 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
In the next one ( http://www.alicegrove.com/page/117 )
Gavia talks about them in terms of forests
And the story of the Blink is #116.
Is all this....intergral.....to the plot?
It is liad on a little thick..
OK, I've only read the first month or so of Alice, and the one
late-in-the-series Liaden book I tried lost me with backstory I didn't
know.

So only the integral joke makes sense to me regarding space trees.

But the integrals were in an atmosphere.
2017-02-23 04:13:12 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Post by Anthony Nance
In the next one ( http://www.alicegrove.com/page/117 )
Gavia talks about them in terms of forests
And the story of the Blink is #116.
Is all this....intergral.....to the plot?
It is liad on a little thick..
OK, I've only read the first month or so of Alice, and the one
late-in-the-series Liaden book I tried lost me with backstory I didn't
know.
So only the integral joke makes sense to me regarding space trees.
But the integrals were in an atmosphere.
Well, I suppose this one may be. We know that everyone expected to be
going *through* vacuum, but we don't know that the destination is vacuum.
And in fact we do know that the spacelings breathe and are supervised by
a tree, so there's obviously air somewhere..
2017-02-23 06:16:05 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
Is all this....intergral.....to the plot?
It is liad on a little thick..
OK, I've only read the first month or so of Alice, and the one
late-in-the-series Liaden book I tried lost me with backstory I didn't know.
So only the integral joke makes sense to me regarding space trees.
A substantial connection between most of the Liaden stories is that among the
things/artifacts/magical beings Korval has is a Tree. Which originally came as
a li'l tree from the Other Universe if I recall right, and which is planted in
the middle of Korval's home base (and had to be moved with them to the Roadway
/ Boss planet), and which will drop pods for family members near it, to be
eaten, which have been seen to have definite mind-and/or-genetics-affecting
capability. It's more of a family member than the cats are, really.
Post by Greg Goss
But the integrals were in an atmosphere.
So it should have been easy to reduce them?

Dave, and really only because the atmosphere couldn't get away
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-02-22 21:01:33 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Yeah, probably. The Blink happened way long before, setting up
the current situation (that is, before Ardent and Gavia made
their trip).
2017-02-23 03:40:07 UTC
Post by Anthony Nance
In the next one ( http://www.alicegrove.com/page/117 )
Gavia talks about them in terms of forests
And the story of the Blink is #116.
Is all this....intergral.....to the plot?
Yeah, probably. The Blink happened way long before, setting up
the current situation (that is, before Ardent and Gavia made
their trip).
With the pauses, I'm sure that the "integral" is a joke about space
trees in a book you might not have read.
2017-02-22 05:39:00 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by h***@gmail.com
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
I'm terribly cliched. My default expectation would be a humanoid figure in flowing
robes, perhaps unusually tall.
No, it was made pretty clear early on that the Praeses were
trees.
Let me check ....
http://www.alicegrove.com/page/157
One of the Praeses is named Cupressaceae. That's a family of
trees, the cypress family.
That's an unusual definition of 'pretty clear'
It assumes you know Latin, or at least botanical terms.
And have a minuscule ability to google, which is what I've got.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-02-22 12:57:53 UTC
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
I'm terribly cliched. My default expectation would be a humanoid figure in flowing
robes, perhaps unusually tall.
No, it was made pretty clear early on that the Praeses were
trees.
Were NAMED for trees, which is rather a large difference from assuming
they ARE trees.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-02-21 23:37:37 UTC
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree
Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
If I'd bothered to think about it, a gargantuan space station.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Robert Woodward
2017-02-22 06:01:16 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree
Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
If I'd bothered to think about it, a gargantuan space station.
I believe that the Praeses were referred to as trees ... checking ...
<http://www.alicegrove.com/post/120742245804/convoluted-sap-metaphor>
‹-----------------------------------------------------
2017-02-22 06:22:38 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree
Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
If I'd bothered to think about it, a gargantuan space station.
I believe that the Praeses were referred to as trees ... checking ...
<http://www.alicegrove.com/post/120742245804/convoluted-sap-metaphor>
Yeah, that's the one I was looking for.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-02-22 12:59:48 UTC
Post by Robert Woodward
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree
Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
If I'd bothered to think about it, a gargantuan space station.
I believe that the Praeses were referred to as trees ... checking ...
<http://www.alicegrove.com/post/120742245804/convoluted-sap-metaphor>
Ah, that does make it clear.

Though when I read that I would still have assumed a gargantuan space
station, with the thinking trees INSIDE it.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-02-22 13:36:27 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Robert Woodward
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree
Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.
What were you expecting a Praesis to look like?
If I'd bothered to think about it, a gargantuan space station.
I believe that the Praeses were referred to as trees ... checking ...
<http://www.alicegrove.com/post/120742245804/convoluted-sap-metaphor>
Ah, that does make it clear.
Though when I read that I would still have assumed a gargantuan space
station, with the thinking trees INSIDE it.
Yeah, but this is Jeph. If you also read Questionable Content,
you'll have noticed he's working a little further outside the box
lately.
2017-02-21 22:27:59 UTC
Alice Grove: tree !
http://www.alicegrove.com/post/157454464924/tree
Ok, that is super cool. Somebody reads Dam Simmons beside myself.
Lynn
Dam Simmons, the less sociable brother - author
of _Hyperiom_, _Endyniom_, and _Snog of Kali_?

I nerely imquire. :-)
Lynn McGuire
2017-02-21 22:42:46 UTC
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/883615-how-do-you-think-the-tree-ships-work