OT: Just a word to the wise regarding Starmaker's 'Atheism' threads, etc.
p***@gmail.com
2015-08-12 15:36:03 UTC
Starmaker, in his efforts to derail useful
discussion here, crossposts his bullshit with
alt.atheism, sci.physics, etc.

It might be useful to trim the Newsgroups: line
when responding.

pt
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2015-08-12 16:03:07 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Starmaker, in his efforts to derail useful
discussion here, crossposts his bullshit with
alt.atheism, sci.physics, etc.
It might be useful to trim the Newsgroups: line
when responding.
It'd be even more useful to just ignore him (and the threads)
completely as the childish blather they are.

But that's expecting too much of the regulars here.
--
Terry Austin

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
Gene Wirchenko
2015-08-13 20:01:33 UTC
On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 09:03:07 -0700, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by p***@gmail.com
Starmaker, in his efforts to derail useful
discussion here, crossposts his bullshit with
alt.atheism, sci.physics, etc.
It might be useful to trim the Newsgroups: line
when responding.
It'd be even more useful to just ignore him (and the threads)
completely as the childish blather they are.
But that's expecting too much of the regulars here.
I am sorry to surprise you. I killfiled Starmaker long ago.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2015-08-13 20:12:32 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Starmaker, in his efforts to derail useful
discussion here, crossposts his bullshit with
alt.atheism, sci.physics, etc.
It might be useful to trim the Newsgroups: line
when responding.
It'd be even more useful to just ignore him (and the threads)
completely as the childish blather they are.
But that's expecting too much of the regulars here.
I am sorry to surprise you. I killfiled Starmaker long ago.
And yet, here you are, talking _about_ him. Don't think he isn't
aware.

Dimensional Traveler
2015-08-13 01:00:42 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Starmaker, in his efforts to derail useful
discussion here, crossposts his bullshit with
alt.atheism, sci.physics, etc.
It might be useful to trim the Newsgroups: line
when responding.
pt
Even better is to not respond to "him" at all.
Veni, vidi, snarki.
p***@gmail.com
2015-08-13 13:12:29 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by p***@gmail.com
Starmaker, in his efforts to derail useful
discussion here, crossposts his bullshit with
alt.atheism, sci.physics, etc.
It might be useful to trim the Newsgroups: line
when responding.
pt
Even better is to not respond to "him" at all.
Agreed. Of non-spammers, he is far and away the least
interesting regular on this board.

pt
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2015-08-13 16:51:26 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Starmaker, in his efforts to derail useful
discussion here, crossposts his bullshit with
alt.atheism, sci.physics, etc.
It might be useful to trim the Newsgroups: line
when responding.
Even better is to not respond to "him" at all.
Agreed. Of non-spammers, he is far and away the least
interesting regular on this board.
You don't consider it a spammer?

---
p***@gmail.com
2015-08-13 17:07:46 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Starmaker, in his efforts to derail useful
discussion here, crossposts his bullshit with
alt.atheism, sci.physics, etc.
It might be useful to trim the Newsgroups: line
when responding.
Even better is to not respond to "him" at all.
Agreed. Of non-spammers, he is far and away the least
interesting regular on this board.
You don't consider it a spammer?
No, in the taxonomy I use, he's a troll. A spammer
doesn't respond to others.

pt
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2015-08-13 17:59:59 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by p***@gmail.com
Starmaker, in his efforts to derail useful
discussion here, crossposts his bullshit with
alt.atheism, sci.physics, etc.
It might be useful to trim the Newsgroups: line
when responding.
Even better is to not respond to "him" at all.
Agreed. Of non-spammers, he is far and away the least
interesting regular on this board.
You don't consider it a spammer?
No, in the taxonomy I use, he's a troll. A spammer
doesn't respond to others.
Okay; I don't think that's a universally-accepted distinction, but
it's not unreasonable.

From what I saw before I stopped paying attention, though, Starflaker
replied more to its own posts than to anyone else's.

---
Moriarty
2015-08-14 01:18:31 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by p***@gmail.com
Starmaker, in his efforts to derail useful
discussion here, crossposts his bullshit with
alt.atheism, sci.physics, etc.
It might be useful to trim the Newsgroups: line
when responding.
Even better is to not respond to "him" at all.
Agreed. Of non-spammers, he is far and away the least
interesting regular on this board.
You don't consider it a spammer?
No, in the taxonomy I use, he's a troll. A spammer
doesn't respond to others.
Using that taxonomy, the guy who wrote "Rarity from the Hollow" wasn't a spammer.

(If you're unfamiliar with that title, consider yourself lucky. It was a book that was constantly plugged in rasfw by its author over an extended period a few years ago.)

-Moriarty
p***@gmail.com
2015-08-14 14:23:14 UTC
Post by Moriarty
Post by p***@gmail.com
Post by p***@gmail.com
Starmaker, in his efforts to derail useful
discussion here, crossposts his bullshit with
alt.atheism, sci.physics, etc.
It might be useful to trim the Newsgroups: line
when responding.
Even better is to not respond to "him" at all.
Agreed. Of non-spammers, he is far and away the least
interesting regular on this board.
You don't consider it a spammer?
No, in the taxonomy I use, he's a troll. A spammer
doesn't respond to others.
Using that taxonomy, the guy who wrote "Rarity from the Hollow" wasn't a spammer.
(If you're unfamiliar with that title, consider yourself lucky. It was a book that was constantly plugged in rasfw by its author over an extended period a few years ago.)
Point taken - there are always edge cases, which fall between two stools.

Lets not make the error of assuming that everything in the world falls neatly
into our categories.

There's been a handful of posters in rasfw and rasff who came in to plug
something, and been castigated for it. Some go away, some persist for a
while, and some eventually get assimilated and become regular posters, no
longer with a singular agenda.

But to me, a 'spammer' posts to (usually) many groups, and never responds to
any of them, and probably doesn't even read responses. The 'Islam is
wonderful' guy is one - so is the guy posting ads for exam handbooks,
and recently, the guy posting links to dodgy pirate movie sites. There's
virtually nothing you can do about them in non-moderated groups, except
personally killfile them.

A 'troll', otoh, is interactive. He or she lives for the responses, gets
a kick out of winding people up, and creating arguments. Starmaker is one.
He employs two main techniques. First, posting ignorant anti-science
nonsense here, in a group which generally holds science in high regard.
Second, cross posting between groups whose members are probably antagonistic
towards each other, with thread starting flamebait designed to elicit a
response from one group which will be regarded as a declaration of war.
I assume he then makes some popcorn, sits back and enjoys watching the
fuss he created.

He employs that quite successfully here. I see very little to appreciate in
a rasfw/alt.atheism/whatever feud.

pt
Robert Carnegie
2015-08-15 11:48:45 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
to me, a 'spammer' posts to (usually) many groups, and never responds to
any of them, and probably doesn't even read responses. The 'Islam is
wonderful' guy is one - so is the guy posting ads for exam handbooks,
and recently, the guy posting links to dodgy pirate movie sites. There's
virtually nothing you can do about them in non-moderated groups, except
personally killfile them.
My perception is that StarTweaker makes "reply" posts
but they are not particularly related to what another
person has said. Half of them are replies to previous
posts by StarTweaker; I thought there might be more
than one of them, fighting. But now I consider it
random noise.

Is he the one who also expresses coded anti-Semitism
disguised as an obsession with Albert Einstein and
the American atomic bomb?
T Guy
Albert Einstein and the American atomic bomb is one of Starmaker's pet subjects. I have not noticed any coded anti-Semitism in those messages, but suspect that this is either naivety on my part or my habit of skimming his posts rather than reading them in detail.
Robert Carnegie
2015-08-15 14:16:18 UTC
Post by T Guy
Post by Robert Carnegie
Is he the one who also expresses coded anti-Semitism
disguised as an obsession with Albert Einstein and
the American atomic bomb?
Albert Einstein and the American atomic bomb is one of
Starmaker's pet subjects. I have not noticed any coded
anti-Semitism in those messages, but suspect that this
is either naivety on my part or my habit of skimming
his posts rather than reading them in detail.
Please don't feel that you have to read them in detail!
I don't want that on my conscience.
T Guy
I am able to assure you that this particular matter should not trouble your conscience.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2015-08-18 16:05:13 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Is he the one who also expresses coded anti-Semitism
disguised as an obsession with Albert Einstein and
the American atomic bomb?
I'm pretty sure his real obsession is with the palm of his right
hand.