"Loophole" a short story by Arthur Clarke
Add Reply
a425couple
2018-08-29 23:35:57 UTC
"Loophole" a short story by Arthur Clarke.
Not very encouraging or uplifting.

for the wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loophole_(short_story)

goodreads - 1946 rated 3.6
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31572199-loophole

a pdf so you can read it
http://avalonlibrary.net/ebooks/Arthur%20C%20Clarke%20-%20Loophole.pdf

listen to it at

or - female voice (13:01)

http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/index.php/reviews/info/470
review comments:
spoiler below
Loophole, 1945, first published in Astounding: A brief story told in the
form of official communiques between a number of Martian officials. A
division of the Martian Sciences Division has been watching Earth. They
detect the detonation of two atomic bombs, ending WWII, then watch for
another fifteen years or so as humans launch a manned rocket out of
Earth�s atmosphere. They send an armada and broadcast a message telling
us that we are not fit to expand because we are so warlike. The Martians
place battleships above major cities, then start working on a plan to
gas us to death. Before their plan can come together humans work out the
trick of teleportation and send atomic bombs to all the cities on Mars.

This story is remarkable because it was Clarke�s first story that was
published in a major American market (though the second sold), because
it�s the first time Clarke used the image of large enemy ships over
human cities, and because it so accurately predicted the end of WWII and
the beginning of the space program. Themes: War, Atomic War,
Teleportation, WMD, Aliens, Mars, Space Opera; Rating: 2.5 Stars
D B Davis
2018-08-30 01:36:12 UTC
Post by a425couple
"Loophole" a short story by Arthur Clarke.
Not very encouraging or uplifting.
for the wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loophole_(short_story)
goodreads - 1946 rated 3.6
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31572199-loophole
a pdf so you can read it
http://avalonlibrary.net/ebooks/Arthur%20C%20Clarke%20-%20Loophole.pdf
listen to it at
http://youtu.be/spRR-ZrduDQ
or - female voice (13:01)
http://youtu.be/Ylu8GW2rCBU
[...]
/ Depending upon who visits Mars (Burroughs, Weinbaum, Clarke, /
/ Heinlein, van Vogt) we get different stories. This is the /
/ report of what was found there by one of the Great Fans of /
/ All Times. /

"The Golden Pyramid" (Moskowitz)

Thus begins a Shock Short in _Perry Rhodan 56 Prisoner of Time_
(Darlton), which coincidentally was just read by me during a brief
respite on a hilltop while walking my dog. The trouble with lists is
that Moskowitz forgot Bradbury and others.

Don