"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
2017-07-01 20:18:17 UTC
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/

I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.

2017-07-01 20:43:26 UTC
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
The only ones I've read are _Cyteen_ and _Brave New World._

But the reviewer left out Vance's _To Live Forever,_ which has
plot elements very like _Six Wakes_.
2017-07-02 00:31:56 UTC
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
Ditto but probably a different six.

David Mitchell is one of my all time favourite authors and Cloud Atlas
is brilliant in its characters, events and structure.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
The only ones I've read are _Cyteen_ and _Brave New World._
Although I finished the first Cyteen book and expected to read another,
I haven't, probably because of the emphasis on horror and the supernatural.
Titus G
2017-07-02 00:40:17 UTC
Post by Titus G
Although I finished the first Cyteen book and expected to read another,
I haven't, probably because of the emphasis on horror and the supernatural.
Oh, oh. I was thinking about Hamilton's Reality Dysfunction having seen
his The Great North Road on the list. Sorry.
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-07-02 03:39:37 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
The only ones I've read are _Cyteen_ and _Brave New World._
Although I finished the first Cyteen book and expected to read another,
I haven't, probably because of the emphasis on horror and the supernatural.
Gosh. Supernatural? The attempt by Denis et al. to recreate Ari
I's personality doesn't involve calling her back from a spirit
world, but recreating her life from birth. (An act of extreme
cruelty. Fortunately, they were not *quite* successful.)
2017-07-02 00:50:01 UTC
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
The only ones I've read are _Cyteen_ and _Brave New World._
But the reviewer left out Vance's _To Live Forever,_ which has
plot elements very like _Six Wakes_.
I read 4-5 of them. My gripe is that in The Iron Dream, iirc, cloning only
makes a brief appearance near the end, and in Jurassic Park, cloning is not
actually explored as such, it's just part of the handwavium used to make
breeding dinosaurs.

Pt
Carl Fink
2017-07-02 01:35:34 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
I read 4-5 of them. My gripe is that in The Iron Dream, iirc, cloning only
makes a brief appearance near the end, and in Jurassic Park, cloning is not
actually explored as such, it's just part of the handwavium used to make
breeding dinosaurs.
Some of them aren't even about cloning, e.g. Kiln People.
--
Carl Fink ***@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!
Robert Carnegie
2017-07-02 07:49:48 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
The only ones I've read are _Cyteen_ and _Brave New World._
But the reviewer left out Vance's _To Live Forever,_ which has
plot elements very like _Six Wakes_.
I read 4-5 of them. My gripe is that in The Iron Dream, iirc, cloning only
makes a brief appearance near the end, and in Jurassic Park, cloning is not
actually explored as such, it's just part of the handwavium used to make
breeding dinosaurs.
Pt
In the film, they weren't supposed to be breeding;
so, presumably, all clones?
Dimensional Traveler
2017-07-02 16:30:28 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
The only ones I've read are _Cyteen_ and _Brave New World._
But the reviewer left out Vance's _To Live Forever,_ which has
plot elements very like _Six Wakes_.
I read 4-5 of them. My gripe is that in The Iron Dream, iirc, cloning only
makes a brief appearance near the end, and in Jurassic Park, cloning is not
actually explored as such, it's just part of the handwavium used to make
breeding dinosaurs.
Pt
In the film, they weren't supposed to be breeding;
so, presumably, all clones?
Not really "cloning". In the movies they are straight up GMOs. They
weren't able to get entire DNA sequences from amber so "filled in" with
bits and pieces from current amphibians (and presumably reptiles) to
create viable organisms. And the big bad from the latest movie isn't
even an attempt to re-create a real dino, it was something new created
for the entertainment value because re-creating real dinos had become
too blase. Similar tech, different application than "cloning" in my
opinion.
Cryptoengineer
2017-07-04 03:03:46 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
[...]
Yah. If we're going to have a list about cloning, then the stories have
to explore it more than just as handwavium for another purpose. They need
to explore the ramifications of cloning, particularly in humans. Another
story which is inexcusably missed in this list is 'Houston, Houston, Do
You Read?" by Tiptree.

2017-07-02 03:25:42 UTC
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
_Brave New World_ and _Cloud Atlas_ have been read by me. Also
_The Forever War_ (Haldeman), but it's not on the list.

Don
Lynn McGuire
2017-07-02 03:41:39 UTC
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
Lynn
I forgot to mention that I have read in the list:
14. Brothers in Arms
13. The Ghost Brigades
11. Imperial Earth
4. Altered Carbon
3. Jurassic Park
1. Brave New World

Lynn
m***@sky.com
Hoyt's "Darkship Thieves" deserves at least an honourable mention
Lynn McGuire
2017-07-02 20:21:24 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
Lynn
Hoyt's "Darkship Thieves" deserves at least an honourable mention
Ah, the "good men" were clones ! I forgot that. And so is the good
man's daughter, Athena Hera Sinistra.

Lynn
a***@yahoo.com
2017-07-02 15:55:11 UTC
I am big fan of "Brain Child" by George Turner, which is not on there.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-07-02 16:09:17 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
I am big fan of "Brain Child" by George Turner, which is not on there.
Hmm not familier with a lot of these. I would add:

_Rogue Moon_

and

"Shlock Mercenary" (in book form to qualify)

I would also note that though I did not like it, _Joshua, Son of None_ was
a bestseller in the 70s, and is probably important for bringing the concept
of clones to public notice..
Magewolf
2017-07-03 16:35:23 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
I am big fan of "Brain Child" by George Turner, which is not on there.
_Rogue Moon_
and
"Shlock Mercenary" (in book form to qualify)
I would also note that though I did not like it, _Joshua, Son of None_ was
a bestseller in the 70s, and is probably important for bringing the concept
of clones to public notice..
A lot of the books on the list have very little to nothing to do with
clones. A very good book that does a lot of cloning is The Dragon Never
Sleeps by Glenn Cook.
Lynn McGuire
2017-07-03 17:26:55 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
I am big fan of "Brain Child" by George Turner, which is not on there.
_Rogue Moon_
and
"Shlock Mercenary" (in book form to qualify)
I would also note that though I did not like it, _Joshua, Son of None_ was
a bestseller in the 70s, and is probably important for bringing the concept
of clones to public notice..
A lot of the books on the list have very little to nothing to do with
clones. A very good book that does a lot of cloning is The Dragon Never
Sleeps by Glenn Cook.
Which books are not about clones ? All of the books that I read are:
14. Brothers in Arms
13. The Ghost Brigades
11. Imperial Earth
4. Altered Carbon
3. Jurassic Park
1. Brave New World

2017-07-03 18:53:06 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
of book titles from the article, so I read it
differently, i.e. are we talking about the plotting?
(an EMP destroys all tax offices in America)...
Chris Buckley
2017-07-03 21:14:44 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I would say that _Jurassic Park_ was not about clones. Cloning is just
an engineering mechanism there, it could have been done differently
and there would be no changes in the story. There is no focus on the
implications of creating "identical" life. _The Iron Dream_ is another
where there is cloning in the story, but it's not a focal point at all.
But those are the only two I would object to (of the 13 I've read).

Chris
lal_truckee
2017-07-03 18:20:05 UTC
_Rogue Moon_
Clarke's "City and the Stars" features clones - clone are part of the
distant SF past and pop up everywhere.
Butch Malahide
2017-07-03 08:01:05 UTC
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
I've heard of a couple of them but haven't read any of them. I'd nominate
Poul Anderson's _Virgin Planet_ for the list, but I'm not sure if the gals
on that planet were actually clones. Were they?
Lynn McGuire
2017-07-03 17:25:04 UTC
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
Lynn
I forgot about the most excellent Bobiverse books where the neurological
image of Bob's brain has been cloned many times for the Von Neumann
starships.
https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse/dp/1680680587/

Highly recommended.

Lynn
Default User
2017-07-04 01:10:02 UTC
"19 Best Science Fiction Books About Clones"
http://best-sci-fi-books.com/19-best-science-fiction-books-about-clones/
I have read six of these. Plus, I have seen "The Boys From Brazil" movie.
Of that list, I have read:

Six Wakes
House of Suns
Jurassic Park
Brave New World

I think Ancillary Justice was at least as deserving as some of those.

Brian