Dr. Seuss's birthday
2017-03-02 05:09:32 UTC
He would have been 113. Maybe the first fantasy author many of us read,
or had read to us, and if the rhymes throw you off, consider the straight
fantasy of the Bartholomew Cubbins duology.
2017-03-02 12:26:14 UTC
He would have been 113. Maybe the first fantasy author many of us read,
or had read to us, and if the rhymes throw you off, consider the straight
fantasy of the Bartholomew Cubbins duology.
Same for the Horton books.

Kevin R
John F. Eldredge
2017-03-18 04:38:23 UTC
He would have been 113. Maybe the first fantasy author many of us read,
or had read to us, and if the rhymes throw you off, consider the straight
fantasy of the Bartholomew Cubbins duology.
Same for the Horton books.
Kevin R
I like the image at <http://drfaustusau.devianta
rt.com/art/HPL-s-The-Call-of-Cthulhu-Cover-276564815>, which is a
very well-done pastiche of Dr. Seuss's drawing style.
John F. Eldredge, ***@jfeldredge.com
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-03-18 04:46:01 UTC
Post by John F. Eldredge
He would have been 113. Maybe the first fantasy author many of us read,
or had read to us, and if the rhymes throw you off, consider the straight
fantasy of the Bartholomew Cubbins duology.
Same for the Horton books.
Kevin R
I like the image at <http://drfaustusau.devianta
rt.com/art/HPL-s-The-Call-of-Cthulhu-Cover-276564815>, which is a
very well-done pastiche of Dr. Seuss's drawing style.
Hmm. Apparently it's a real book now:

http://www.chaosium.com/blog/coming-for-christmas-hp-lovecrafts-the-call-of-cthulhu-for-beginning-readers/

http://www.chaosium.com/hpls-call-of-cthulhu-for-beginning-readers

"The most merciful thing
in the world, I believe,
is humanity's failure
to fully conceive
of the cosmical horrors
we've yet to reveal
and which up until now
I have tried to conceal."
Gene Wirchenko
2017-03-19 18:15:31 UTC
[snip]
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by John F. Eldredge
I like the image at <http://drfaustusau.devianta
rt.com/art/HPL-s-The-Call-of-Cthulhu-Cover-276564815>, which is a
very well-done pastiche of Dr. Seuss's drawing style.
http://www.chaosium.com/blog/coming-for-christmas-hp-lovecrafts-the-call-of-cthulhu-for-beginning-readers/
http://www.chaosium.com/hpls-call-of-cthulhu-for-beginning-readers
"The most merciful thing
in the world, I believe,
is humanity's failure
to fully conceive
of the cosmical horrors
we've yet to reveal
and which up until now
I have tried to conceal."
Rather sophisticated language for *beginning* readers. Maybe,
considering the material, it should be marked for *ending* readers.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Ahasuerus
2017-03-19 18:28:43 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
[snip]
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by John F. Eldredge
I like the image at <http://drfaustusau.devianta
rt.com/art/HPL-s-The-Call-of-Cthulhu-Cover-276564815>, which is a
very well-done pastiche of Dr. Seuss's drawing style.
http://www.chaosium.com/blog/coming-for-christmas-hp-lovecrafts-the-call-of-cthulhu-for-beginning-readers/
http://www.chaosium.com/hpls-call-of-cthulhu-for-beginning-readers
"The most merciful thing
in the world, I believe,
is humanity's failure
to fully conceive
of the cosmical horrors
we've yet to reveal
and which up until now
I have tried to conceal."
Rather sophisticated language for *beginning* readers. Maybe,
considering the material, it should be marked for *ending* readers.
Compared to the original, it's vastly simplified:

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of
ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant
that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own
direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing
together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of
reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go
mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and
safety of a new dark age.

Theosophists have guessed at the awesome grandeur of the cosmic cycle
wherein our world and human race form transient incidents. [etc]"