YASID: force field space suits on planet Venus, "Reynolds-wrap River"
Nyrath
2018-07-11 16:43:30 UTC
I read this short story sometime in the 1980s, I think.

The protagonists are camping on the planet Venus, with the incredibly high temperature and crushing pressure. They use force field bubbles as space suits and camping tents.

I remember one of them mentioning the "Reynolds-wrap River" nearby, a river of molten aluminum.

IIRC at one point they travel using a sort of bicycle powered dirigible, which is also sheathed in a skin-tight force field bubble.

Does this sound familiar?
James Nicoll
2018-07-11 16:44:03 UTC
In article <5975e5c9-9597-4878-b9e1-***@googlegroups.com>,
Nyrath <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>I read this short story sometime in the 1980s, I think.
>
>The protagonists are camping on the planet Venus, with the incredibly
>high temperature and crushing pressure. They use force field bubbles as
>space suits and camping tents.
>
>I remember one of them mentioning the "Reynolds-wrap River" nearby, a
>river of molten aluminum.
>
>IIRC at one point they travel using a sort of bicycle powered dirigible,
>which is also sheathed in a skin-tight force field bubble.
>
>Does this sound familiar?

John Varley, "In the Bowl"?
2018-07-11 17:09:28 UTC
In article <pi5c4j$puh$***@reader1.panix.com>,
***@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> In article <5975e5c9-9597-4878-b9e1-***@googlegroups.com>,
> Nyrath <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I read this short story sometime in the 1980s, I think.
> >
> >The protagonists are camping on the planet Venus, with the incredibly
> >high temperature and crushing pressure. They use force field bubbles as
> >space suits and camping tents.
> >
> >I remember one of them mentioning the "Reynolds-wrap River" nearby, a
> >river of molten aluminum.
> >
> >IIRC at one point they travel using a sort of bicycle powered dirigible,
> >which is also sheathed in a skin-tight force field bubble.
> >
> >Does this sound familiar?
>
> John Varley, "In the Bowl"?

Definitely, "In the Bowl" (I just checked the original publicatioun in
the December 1975 issue of _F&SF_)

Robert Woodward ***@drizzle.com
Nyrath
2018-07-11 21:06:32 UTC