[translation] Fullmetal Alchemist, book 2 by Hiromu Arakawa
2017-04-12 13:41:03 UTC
Fullmetal Alchemist, book 2 by Hiromu Arakawa

http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/baptisms-of-fire
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Default User
2017-04-12 16:37:01 UTC
Fullmetal Alchemist, book 2 by Hiromu Arakawa
I have not read any of the manga, but I did watch the anime when it ran translated on Adult Swim. My understanding is that the manga has some significant differences, which is not all that unusual as these things go.

Brian
James Nicoll
2017-04-12 18:27:22 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by James Nicoll
Fullmetal Alchemist, book 2 by Hiromu Arakawa
I have not read any of the manga, but I did watch the anime when it ran
translated on Adult Swim. My understanding is that the manga has some
significant differences, which is not all that unusual as these things
go.
You just gave me an amusing idea.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-04-13 00:48:04 UTC
Post by Default User
Post by James Nicoll
Fullmetal Alchemist, book 2 by Hiromu Arakawa
I have not read any of the manga, but I did watch the anime when it ran translated on
Adult Swim. My understanding is that the manga has some significant differences,
which is not all that unusual as these things go.
The original anime series, titled simply Fullmetal Alchemist, departed
from the manga about the time that Maes Hughes *SPOILER* because
*SPOILER*. For the reason that at the time the manga hadn't gotten past
that point, and Arakawa gave them permission to just take off and invent
their own, which came out pretty good overall.

The second series, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, is almost a
perfect remake of the manga, with only a couple relatively minor points
changed.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-04-13 00:45:46 UTC
Fullmetal Alchemist, book 2 by Hiromu Arakawa
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/baptisms-of-fire
As I noted on LJ (for some reason your regular site has, for months,
said that comments were closed), Envy is a shapeshifter but most people
call Envy male, if they choose a gender. Yes, he's a sorta Goth Bishie,
but his default appears to be male, though you can't prove it. Now LUST
is female.

And yes, starting where you do leaves out a whole hell of a lot of
context that would help you understand what's going on.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
James Nicoll
2017-04-13 03:53:22 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by James Nicoll
Fullmetal Alchemist, book 2 by Hiromu Arakawa
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/baptisms-of-fire
As I noted on LJ (for some reason your regular site has, for months,
said that comments were closed)
Livefyre basically shut down and the process of migrating away from them
is apparently not as smooth as was promised. I've taken to adding a link
to DW for the time being. Very sorry: if I had the technical skills to fix
this, I would.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-04-15 14:11:42 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by James Nicoll
Fullmetal Alchemist, book 2 by Hiromu Arakawa
http://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/baptisms-of-fire
As I noted on LJ (for some reason your regular site has, for months,
said that comments were closed)
Livefyre basically shut down and the process of migrating away from them
is apparently not as smooth as was promised. I've taken to adding a link
to DW for the time being. Very sorry: if I had the technical skills to fix
this, I would.
Not blaming you, just mentioning it as to why I didn't comment on the
article itself. :)
--
Sea Wasp
/^\