[tor dot com] Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
James Nicoll
2018-08-15 16:14:34 UTC
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use

https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
William Hyde
2018-08-15 19:45:35 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
Clarke's first story (I think) "Travel by Wire!" concerns a similar mode of transportation. At the end, the narrator/inventor confesses that he personally will never use it.

Does that make seven?

William Hyde
James Nicoll
2018-08-15 20:51:06 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
Clarke's first story (I think) "Travel by Wire!" concerns a similar mode
of transportation. At the end, the narrator/inventor confesses that he
personally will never use it.
Does that make seven?
Yup! Am I right in thinking line loss was an issue?
William Hyde
2018-08-16 17:34:57 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Post by James Nicoll
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
Clarke's first story (I think) "Travel by Wire!" concerns a similar mode
of transportation. At the end, the narrator/inventor confesses that he
personally will never use it.
Does that make seven?
Yup! Am I right in thinking line loss was an issue?
IIRC by the end of the story this is no longer supposed to be an issue. But the narrator is perhaps not confident of this.

William Hyde
Butch Malahide
2018-08-15 23:07:16 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
In Piers Anthony's _Macroscope_ the trick which enabled the astronauts
to withstand high acceleration was to liquefy the astronauts.
Michael F. Stemper
2018-08-16 14:51:19 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
In Piers Anthony's _Macroscope_ the trick which enabled the astronauts
to withstand high acceleration was to liquefy the astronauts.
In _Endymion_ and _The Rise of _Endymion_ (by Dan Simmons), there is
immunity to physical destruction due to the cruciform fungus first
encountered in _Hyperion_. Important messengers are infected with this,
so that after the high accelerations they undergo liquefies them, they
get better[1]. Of course, the messengers are permanently infected,
since the fungus is extremely survival-oriented.

[1] Cue obligatory Holy Grail references.
--
Michael F. Stemper
There's no "me" in "team". There's no "us" in "team", either.
Butch Malahide
2018-08-15 23:14:56 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
In Robert Abernathy's short story "Strange Exodus" surviving humans
take to space as parasites in the bodies of gigantic worms. You can
read the story in Brian Aldiss's anthology _Space Odysseys_
or for free at the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/stream/Planet_Stories_v04n08_1950-Fall#page/n85
D B Davis
2018-08-17 03:03:47 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
In Robert Abernathy's short story "Strange Exodus" surviving humans
take to space as parasites in the bodies of gigantic worms. You can
read the story in Brian Aldiss's anthology _Space Odysseys_
https://archive.org/stream/Planet_Stories_v04n08_1950-Fall#page/n85
The worm shown in the art is far too small for the man. It's fairly
easy to catch a glimpse of five mile stretches as Interstate-80 wends
its way through the Great Basin. Any worm five miles long ought to be
about a half mile high.
Jonah kept going through my mind until it finally popped up in the
story. Someone needs to convince me that Herbert didn't crib his Arrakis
sandworms from this story.

Thank you,
Don
D B Davis
2018-08-17 03:30:59 UTC
Post by Butch Malahide
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
In Robert Abernathy's short story "Strange Exodus" surviving humans
take to space as parasites in the bodies of gigantic worms. You can
read the story in Brian Aldiss's anthology _Space Odysseys_
https://archive.org/stream/Planet_Stories_v04n08_1950-Fall#page/n85
The worm shown in the art is far too small for the man. It's fairly
easy to catch a glimpse of five mile stretches as Interstate-80 wends
its way through the Great Basin. Any worm five miles long ought to be
about a half mile high.
Jonah kept going through my mind until it finally popped up in the
story. Someone needs to convince me that Herbert didn't crib his Arrakis
sandworms from this story.

Addendum:

It's only too easy for me to imagine wormy warlords trying to
tactically use a potent secretion to induce necrosis of tissue held by
rivals.

Thank you,
Don
l***@usa.com
2018-08-16 00:09:37 UTC
In the late 19th century a guy wrote a short story where they complete the chunnel subway, but most people on it freak out from anxiety.

Nils
m***@sky.com
2018-08-16 03:56:03 UTC
Some of it is what you are used to. There is a nice piece in Blish's Cities in Flight series where Amalfi is scared by some sort of fast ground transport indigenous to the planet they have just landed on and is saying they have got to get some ground transport of their own organised so they don't have to use whatever ground transport is provided by the planet they have just landed on.
Michael F. Stemper
2018-08-16 14:54:17 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
Some of it is what you are used to. There is a nice piece in Blish's Cities in Flight series where Amalfi is scared by some sort of fast ground transport indigenous to the planet they have just landed on and is saying they have got to get some ground transport of their own organised so they don't have to use whatever ground transport is provided by the planet they have just landed on.
In a similar vein, Beowulf Schaeffer is truly spooked in _Flatlander_
(Niven) when he encounters what are basically hot-rodders in the
24th and a halfth century.

The description of this scene, which is really throw-away and not
relevant to the plot is priceless.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-08-16 16:57:24 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Post by m***@sky.com
Some of it is what you are used to. There is a nice piece in Blish's
Cities in Flight series where Amalfi is scared by some sort of fast
ground transport indigenous to the planet they have just landed on and
is saying they have got to get some ground transport of their own
organised so they don't have to use whatever ground transport is
provided by the planet they have just landed on.
In a similar vein, Beowulf Schaeffer is truly spooked in _Flatlander_
(Niven) when he encounters what are basically hot-rodders in the
24th and a halfth century.
The description of this scene, which is really throw-away and not
relevant to the plot is priceless.
Oh, I remember that one.

"That joker was clearly insane."
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Gene Wirchenko
2018-08-16 22:56:19 UTC
On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 09:54:17 -0500, "Michael F. Stemper"
Post by Michael F. Stemper
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
Some of it is what you are used to. There is a nice piece in Blish's Cities in Flight series where Amalfi is scared by some sort of fast ground transport indigenous to the planet they have just landed on and is saying they have got to get some ground transport of their own organised so they don't have to use whatever ground transport is provided by the planet they have just landed on.
In a similar vein, Beowulf Schaeffer is truly spooked in _Flatlander_
(Niven) when he encounters what are basically hot-rodders in the
24th and a halfth century.
The description of this scene, which is really throw-away and not
relevant to the plot is priceless.
Niven also wrote this (from _Cloak of Anarchy_):

Crowds tend to draw crowds. A few minutes after leaving Ron, I joined
a semicircle of the curious to see what they were watching.

A balding, lantern-jawed individual was putting something together: an
archaic machine, with blades and a small gasoline motor. The T-shaped
wooden handle was brand new and unpainted. The metal parts were dull
with the look of ancient rust recently removed.

The crowd speculated in half whispers. What was it? Not part of a car,
not an outboard motor, though it had blades, too small for a motor
scooter; too big for a motor skateboard . . .

"Lawn mover," said the white-haired lady next to me. She was one of
those small, birdlike people who shrivel and grow weightless as they
age, and live forever. Her words meant nothing to me. I was about to
ask, when -

The lantern-jawed man finished his work, and twisted something and the
motor started with a roar. Black smoke puffed out. In triumph he
gripped the handles. Outside, it was a prison offense to build a
working internal combustion machine. Here -

With the fire of dedication burning in his eyes, he wheeled his
infernal machine across the grass. He left a path as flat as a rug. It
was a Free Park, wasn't it?

The smell hit everyone at once: a black dirt in the air, a stink of
harf-burned hydrocarbons attacking the nose and eyes. I gasped and
coughed. I'd never smelled anything like it.

The crescent crowd roared and converged.

He squawked when they picked up his machine. Someone found a switch
and stopped it. Two men confiscated the tool kit and went to work with
screwdriver and hammer. The owner objected. He picked up a heavy pair
of pliers and tried to commit murder.

A copseye zapped him and the man with the hammer, and they both hit
the lawn without bouncing. The rest of them pulled the lawn mower
apart and bent and broke the pieces.

"I'm half-sorry they did that," said the old woman. "Sometimes I miss
the sound of lawn mowers. My dad used to mow the lawn on Sunday
mornings."

I said, "It's a Free Park."

"Then why can't he build anything he pleases?"

"He can. He did. Anything he's free to build, we're free to kick
apart." And my mind flashed, Like Ron's rigged copseye.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
mimus99
2018-08-17 14:01:37 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
What about cutting your head off, freeze-drying it, shipping it, and then
growing you a nice new body or whatever, like in Cordwainer Smith's _
Norstrilia _?

Generally, though, anything that can make copies is a bad idea.

I'd take my chances with hyperspace, depending on how the rat acted after
it came back (prob there is energies used so great you really wouldn't want
one-a those gates in your solar-system).
--
"Take me apart, take me apart, you must be off your head,
"If you have to take me apart to get me there then I'll stay home in bed."
David Johnston
2018-08-17 19:30:21 UTC
Post by mimus99
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
What about cutting your head off, freeze-drying it, shipping it, and then
growing you a nice new body or whatever, like in Cordwainer Smith's _
Norstrilia _?
I can top that.

I read a short story where people could "teleport" across the world, by
killing people at the reception point. Condemned (presumably very well
fed) criminals would be put into the booths and their flesh would be
used to create new bodies for the commuters with any excess mass reduced
to chunky bits.
Panthera Tigris Altaica
2018-08-17 15:50:22 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
My major problem with Orion drives would be with the shock-absorber
systems. If those are inadequate, there is no point in worrying about
radiation effects, as you won't be alive long enough for that to matter.

Fallout problems could be mitigated by proper selection of drive bomb
components, and by choice of launch site. Somewhere remote would be
best. Yes, there would still be effects, but they would be minimal, so
long as proper precautions were taken in the first place.

I would take off in an Orion drive powered ship. I would fly around the
solar system in on. Landing using an Orion drive would probably be a bad
idea.
Lynn McGuire
2018-08-17 19:23:05 UTC
Post by Panthera Tigris Altaica
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
My major problem with Orion drives would be with the shock-absorber
systems. If those are inadequate, there is no point in worrying about
radiation effects, as you won't be alive long enough for that to matter.
Fallout problems could be mitigated by proper selection of drive bomb
components, and by choice of launch site. Somewhere remote would be
best. Yes, there would still be effects, but they would be minimal, so
long as proper precautions were taken in the first place.
I would take off in an Orion drive powered ship. I would fly around the
solar system in on. Landing using an Orion drive would probably be a bad
idea.
_Footfall_ dealt with the sudden acceleration of the Orion drive in the
"Michael" by adding more and more weight. There were four space
shuttles attached to it. There was hundreds XXXXXXXXX thousands of
nuclear bombs. Hundreds of people. Enough supplies to last for years.
Many gunships. Etc, etc, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarshipPorn/comments/2ujhlw/battleship_michael_climbing_to_orbit_1024x768/

Lynn
Leo Sgouros
They built in right under the (noses?) an occupying alien race. Good operational security, if you can get it :-)
Greg Goss
2018-08-19 18:11:37 UTC
Post by Leo Sgouros
Post by Lynn McGuire
_Footfall_ dealt with the sudden acceleration of the Orion drive in the
"Michael" by adding more and more weight. There were four space
shuttles attached to it. There was hundreds XXXXXXXXX thousands of
nuclear bombs. Hundreds of people. Enough supplies to last for years.
Many gunships. Etc, etc, etc.
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarshipPorn/comments/2ujhlw/battleship_michael_climbing_to_orbit_1024x768/
And http://www.up-ship.com/apr/michael.htm Technical drawings by the
same artist.
Post by Leo Sgouros
They built in right under the (noses?) an occupying alien race. Good operational security, if you can get it :-)
Noses, yes. Plural. Since the aliens used a multiply bifurcated
trunk as hands.
d***@gmail.com
2018-08-17 16:42:06 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
Not mentioned here, but also to be avoided: interplanetary travel by cannon, a la Verne's _From the Earth to the Moon_ (and the sequel _Around the Moon_.) I recall an analysis that computed the acceleration of the "launch" there as on the order of 100,000 Gs, with the rather clever shock absorption system reducing this by about 1/3 G. Ouch!

Sufficient details to make the calculation were included in the book IIRC, but I don't have a copy right to hand, and the order of magnitude figure suffices to class this as unworkable.

It was a fun story, however.

-DES
b***@dontspam.silent.com
2018-08-17 21:33:00 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
Don't forget Harry Harrison and "Bill, the Galactic Hero"

"The Bloater Drive. It's called that because it bloats things up. You
know, everything is made up of little bitty things called electrons,
protons, neutrons, trontrons, things like that, sort of held together
by a kind of binding energy. Now if you weaken the energy that holds
things together — I forgot to tell you that also they are spinning
around all the time like crazy, or maybe you already knew — you weaken
the energy and because they are going around so fast all the little
pieces start to move away from each other, and the weaker the energy
the further apart they move. Are you with me so far?"
"I think I am, but I'm not sure that I like it."
"Keep cool. Now — see my hands? As the energy gets weaker the ship
gets bigger," he moved his hands further apart. "It gets bigger and
bigger until it is as big as a planet, then as big as a sun then a
whole stellar system. The Bloater Drive can make us just as big as we
want to be, then it's turned the other way and we shrink back to our
regular size and there we are."
"Where are we?"
"Wherever we want to be," Tembo answered patiently.
Bill turned away and industriously rubbed shine-o on to a fuse as
First Class Spleen sauntered by, a suspicious glint in his eye. As
soon as he turned the corner Bill leaned over and hissed at Tembo.
"How can we be anywhere else than where we started? Getting bigger,
getting smaller doesn't get us anyplace."
"Well, they're pretty tricky with the old Bloater Drive. The way I
heard it it's like you take a rubber band and hold one end in each
hand. You don't move your left hand but you stretch the band out as
far as it will go with your right hand. When you let the band shrink
back again you keep your right hand steady and let go with your left.
See? You never moved the rubber band, just stretched it and let it
snap — but it has moved over. Like our ship is doing now. It's getting
bigger, but in one direction. When the nose reaches wherever we are
going the stern will be wherever we were. Then we shrink and bango!
there we are. And you can get into heaven just that easily, my son, if
only..."
d***@gmail.com
2018-08-17 22:54:51 UTC
Post by b***@dontspam.silent.com
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
Don't forget Harry Harrison and "Bill, the Galactic Hero"
<snip description>
Yes that is one to avoid. How about the infinite Improbability Drive from Hithhiker's guide?

I am also reminded of the Arpe Drive from Blish's "Nor Iron Bars" -- it has the side effect of weakening molecular bonds so that a spaceship hull becomes a semi-permable membrane. What I don't understand is why it didn't disrupt everyone's cellular mechanics enough to kill everyone on the ship. Blish was trained as a biologist, too, he knew better. Of course, if everyone drops dead there is no story.

-DES
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-08-17 22:59:31 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Post by James Nicoll
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
Don't forget Harry Harrison and "Bill, the Galactic Hero"
<snip description>
Yes that is one to avoid. How about the infinite Improbability Drive from Hithhiker's guide?
I am also reminded of the Arpe Drive from Blish's "Nor Iron Bars" -- it
has the side effect of weakening molecular bonds so that a spaceship
hull becomes a semi-permable membrane. What I don't understand is why it
didn't disrupt everyone's cellular mechanics enough to kill everyone on
the ship. Blish was trained as a biologist, too, he knew better. Of
course, if everyone drops dead there is no story.
Not if it's the 70s.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..
Jerry Brown
2018-08-18 08:08:18 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
Bob Shaw's "Ship of Strangers" had this happen to a ship, but
unintentionally. The mysterious glowing thing in the hold turns out to
be the entire universe IIRC.
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Greg Goss
2018-08-19 17:58:08 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
"Do not want to be converted to mush, fog, or plasma. No thanks."
I'm wondering which definition of "plasma" he had in mind.
Default User
2018-08-19 22:15:25 UTC
Post by Greg Goss
"Do not want to be converted to mush, fog, or plasma. No thanks."
I'm wondering which definition of "plasma" he had in mind.
First one, then the other. [1]

1. Yay Futurama.

Brian
Harold Hill
2018-08-20 13:18:03 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Not On Your Life: Six Means of SF Transportation I Would Not Use
https://www.tor.com/2018/08/15/not-on-your-life-six-means-of-sf-transportation-i-would-not-use/
How about David Langford's _The Space Eater_, where you can travel through a worm hole, but because it is only a couple cm wide, so, you have to be pretty much pulped to do it. (Don't worry, you'll pull yourself back together.)
--
-Harold Hill