Sir Patrick Stewart seeks American citizenship to fight Trump
2017-03-03 19:44:50 UTC
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/patrick-stewart-i-m-becoming-american-fight-trump-n728591

I don't know if he'll have to give up his knighthood. The
Vatican has made a number of American men Papal knights, so we'll
see.

I don't know how exactly he's going to fight Trump, other than
achieving citizenship by November 2018 and voting for all the
Democrats he can, but it'll certainly add some extra bizazz to
the fight.

And Trump will be pissed. He wants celebrities to love him.
2017-03-03 23:52:45 UTC
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/patrick-stewart-i-m-becoming-american-fight-trump-n728591
I don't know if he'll have to give up his knighthood. The
Vatican has made a number of American men Papal knights, so we'll
see.
I don't know how exactly he's going to fight Trump, other than
achieving citizenship by November 2018 and voting for all the
Democrats he can, but it'll certainly add some extra bizazz to
the fight.
And Trump will be pissed. He wants celebrities to love him.
The UK has plenty of problems for Stewart to
protest. Why he has to come here and throw in
his 2 cents worth is a bit of a mystery to me.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-03 23:11:15 UTC
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/patrick-stewart-i-m
-becoming-american-fight-trump-n728591
I don't know if he'll have to give up his knighthood. The
Vatican has made a number of American men Papal knights, so
we'll see.
I don't know how exactly he's going to fight Trump, other than
achieving citizenship by November 2018 and voting for all the
Democrats he can, but it'll certainly add some extra bizazz to
the fight.
And Trump will be pissed. He wants celebrities to love him.
The UK has plenty of problems for Stewart to
protest. Why he has to come here and throw in
his 2 cents worth is a bit of a mystery to me.
I expect because he's realized that nobody in his own country takes
him seriously any more. Not that we take him seriously, but he
obviously hasn't realize it yet.

Plus, of course, who *wouldn't* rather be a citizen of the US rather
than of the UK?

2017-03-04 14:41:18 UTC
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/patrick-stewart-i-m-becoming-american-fight-trump-n728591
I don't know if he'll have to give up his knighthood. The
Vatican has made a number of American men Papal knights, so we'll
see.
I don't know how exactly he's going to fight Trump, other than
achieving citizenship by November 2018 and voting for all the
Democrats he can, but it'll certainly add some extra bizazz to
the fight.
And Trump will be pissed. He wants celebrities to love him.
The UK has plenty of problems for Stewart to
protest. Why he has to come here and throw in
his 2 cents worth is a bit of a mystery to me.
He's been living in the United States for
thirty
years. He came to teach Shakespeare to your androids
and tolerance to your mutant-haters. His work is
not yet done.
J. Clarke
2017-03-04 16:14:54 UTC
In article <d959395c-a679-4f60-afb1-9b369dc64ce5
@googlegroups.com>, ***@excite.com
says...
[...]
I thought he came to play a Communist with a
starship.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2017-03-04 16:43:47 UTC
[...]
...and poorly fitting uniform

2017-03-04 21:08:55 UTC
[...]
http://youtu.be/x2o77i74T48
The infamous Picard Maneuver.
--
Running the rec.arts.TV Channels Watched Survey.
Winter 2016 survey began Dec 01 and will end Feb 28
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-03-04 21:05:53 UTC
[...]
Communist? Question mark?
In Star Trek TNG they were a bunch of Commies.
Kevrob
2017-03-04 22:05:42 UTC
[...]
By DS9 the noble Ferengi had taught them the value of a bar
of gold-pressed latinum. :)

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Latinum

2017-03-04 22:11:28 UTC
[...]
Kevin R
To play Dabo with. These are games for children.

Therefore the nice ladies whose job is to make sure
that they boys and girls play by the rules and if
there's a tantrum then they call Mister Odo to take
them away for time-out.
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-03-05 01:22:46 UTC
[...]
The fantasy kind, not the real kind. The kind
where there's no property, everything belongs to
the state, everybody does fulfulling work,
nobody is overworked, and the glorious
revolution is welcomed by all, except the
Klingons and the Romulans and the Ferengi and
the Cardassians and a few other such ignorant
savages.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-05 04:25:27 UTC
In article
Post by J. Clarke
[...]
And the political officer, er, "counselor," is a telepath who will
literally mind control you until you *like* it.

TNG is very dystopic to anyone who finds mandatory groupthink
objectionable.

2017-03-04 22:32:55 UTC
[...]
The Federation is a moneyless society in which
everyone does the best he can and never takes
more than he needs. The Communist ideal. I
don't know if the Great Bird realized that that
was what he was setting up or whether it's
something that just happened.
Kevrob
2017-03-04 22:48:48 UTC
[...]
"Credits" did pop up, from time to time.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Federation_credit

2017-03-04 22:51:28 UTC
[...]
They weren't commies in TOS. In TNG's era they still used currency for
dealing with all those primitive capitalists who weren't Federation
citizens.
m***@sky.com
2017-03-05 16:43:45 UTC
[...]
This reminds me of an idea I first saw in Andrew Norton which I now believe goes back to Herodotus - bargaining when you don't even know enough to speak the language. Both sides build up and tear down piles of goods on the beach until both agree that they would be happy to swap piles.

I find this a very encouraging omen. After a future first contact situation perhaps our very best linguists would (C.J.Cherryh?) be just good enough to ask for a cup of water and be understood - but we could still trade. In a world where I have been constantly told that it is absolutely necessary to understand and appreciate every detail of every other culture in a multicultural society I find this alternative offering me a glimmer of hope. Who knows, perhaps it is even possible that one day the word "Gridlock" will not come up so often in discussions of US politics.
p***@hotmail.com
2017-03-05 22:09:57 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by David Johnston
They weren't commies in TOS. In TNG's era they still used currency for
dealing with all those primitive capitalists who weren't Federation
citizens.
This reminds me of an idea I first saw in Andrew Norton which I now believe goes back to Herodotus - bargaining when you don't even know enough to speak the language. Both sides build up and tear down piles of goods on the beach until both agree that they would be happy to swap piles.
This type of bargaining was also used by Robert Heinlein in
_Citizen of the Galaxy_, when Thorby was on the free trader Sisu.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
David DeLaney
2017-03-06 11:39:32 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
This reminds me of an idea I first saw in Andrew Norton
... Andre Norton, perhaps? Or if not, who is Andrew?

Dave, or is it a two-key-for-one-press?
gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd - net.legends FAQ & Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.
Dorothy J Heydt
2017-03-06 11:48:13 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by m***@sky.com
This reminds me of an idea I first saw in Andrew Norton
... Andre Norton, perhaps? Or if not, who is Andrew?
Dave, or is it a two-key-for-one-press?
Dunno, but way back in the day Norton did briefly use the
pseudonym Andrew North.
m***@sky.com
That was a typo, probably a muscle memory typo. I meant to say Andre Norton. Based on Peter Wezeman's comment above, I should probably have said R.A.Heinlein.
J. Clarke
2017-03-04 23:05:58 UTC
In article <0e77b068-439d-457a-b056-0b2129cc0047
@googlegroups.com>, ***@my-deja.com says...
[...]
They did but it seemed to be mostly in the
nature of foreign exchange. While the
Federation was a moneyless society, the Ferengi
certainly weren't. It's not clear how the
Klingons or Romulans or Vulcans operated.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2017-03-04 23:33:50 UTC
[...]
Properly speaking they were more a post-scarcity society, which makes
the whole Communist/Capitalist divide meaningless. They had only a very
few materials that were in any way scarce, and not scarce enough to
change the basic nature of the society.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
David Johnston
2017-03-05 00:21:10 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by J. Clarke
[...]
It really doesn't. Yes, the TNG era violates conservation laws and
allows replicators to conjure up as much food, clothing and portable
comforts as anyone wants for free. But people still have actual jobs
rather than just hobbies. They have doctors, gardeners, landscapers,
authors, publishers, spies, bureaucrats, therapists, architects,
vineyard managers, farmers, restauranteurs, shuttlecraft stewards.
While they might have the technical capacity to render humans obsolete,
they elect not to. In fact what they _don't_ show us is a society in
which the vast majority of human do nothing except play games and have
sex the way they do in the Culture. People work in the Federation.
They don't even necessarily work at the jobs they'd like to do. Vash
just wants to go off and hunt for ancient relics but she can't do that
without engaging in crime. Bashir's father wants to be a landscaper,
but his mental handicaps restrict him to being a shuttlecraft steward, a
job he doesn't like.

A market not in tangible goods but intellectual property and personal
services _is still a market_. The Ferengi with the same basic
technology don't have a mercantile economy just because they're a
species of morons created to mock Republicans.
Quadibloc
2017-03-05 11:09:14 UTC
People work in the Federation.
They don't even necessarily work at the jobs they'd like to do. Vash
just wants to go off and hunt for ancient relics but she can't do that
without engaging in crime. Bashir's father wants to be a landscaper,
but his mental handicaps restrict him to being a shuttlecraft steward, a
job he doesn't like.
TNG is not consistent - it's a TV show that accepts scripts from different
authors, and then tries to film them under the time pressures of TV production.
So it's not surprising some episodes will assume aspects of our present society,
as a default, that other episodes claim the Federation has transcended.

Obviously, the Starship Enterprise didn't pop out of a giant industrial-size
replicator. People presumably must have built it.

But Ryker noted they don't have money in the Federation. Maybe, like the society
in _The Caves of Steel_, it is believed that "fiscalism" is corrupting, and so
people's jobs simply determine their "classification". As far as replicators are
concerned, making antimatter and then using it to construct a glass of water
atom-by-atom is the _hard_ (and more expensive) way of getting a glass of water,
so it would be reasonable to think of replicators being restricted to situations
like a starship, where a small number of people are isolated from centers of
commerce and manufacturing.

2017-03-05 16:29:46 UTC
[...]
TV shows have story editors and "show runners" - executive
producer/head writer. If they want to keep the writers
on a leash - "the show bible says the Federation doesn't
use money" - they can edit or rewrite them

[quote]

Gene L. Coon assumed the role of showrunner from Gene Roddenberry
after the initial batch of episodes from the first season of Star
Trek: The Original Series, starting with "Miri", and he continued
in this role until halfway through season 2 ("Bread and Circuses"
was his last episode as Producer). He actively produced nearly half
of the show's 79 episodes, more than anyone else. He was replaced
for the rest of the second season by writer/director John Meredyth
Lucas, who left only because Gene Roddenberry was supposed to come
back the following season, though he ultimately did not. Notably,
both Coon - under the pseudonym "Lee Cronin" - and Lucas continued
to write (and in the latter's case, direct) for the show even after
having stepped down as showrunner. Journeyman producer Fred Freiberger
became showrunner for the third season (often referred to as the turd
season), and became the scapegoat for all its problems.

Maurice Hurley took over from Gene Roddenberry as showrunner
late in the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation,
officially starting with the episode "Coming of Age." He would
later take over as showrunner for the second series of Baywatch
Nights.

Michael Piller became the showrunner for the third season of Star
Trek: The Next Generation, and held the role for the rest of its run.
He also acted as showrunner for the first two seasons of Star Trek:
Deep Space Nine, and then joint showrunner (with Jeri Taylor) of the
first two seasons of Star Trek: Voyager.

[/quote]

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Showrunner

There are people to blame for inconsistencies like the
money/no money situation.

Kevin R
Jerry Brown
2017-03-05 18:21:39 UTC
Journeyman producer Fred Freiberger
became showrunner for the third season (often referred to as the turd
season), and became the scapegoat for all its problems.
Possibly justified, given his performance a decade later on season 2
of Space: 1999, which under his guiding hand went from a classy
looking show (with admittedly shaky physics) to cheap looking,
hyperactive melodrama (with even shakier physics).
--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-05 04:29:25 UTC
In article <0e77b068-439d-457a-b056-0b2129cc0047
@googlegroups.com>, ***@my-deja.com says...
On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 5:32:58 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke
In article
Post by J. Clarke
[...]
The Klingon economy seems to be based on "It's mine, because I have
a bigger gun than you do," and the Romulan economy is based on
"We're too mysterious for anyone to know what belongs to who, but I
have a bigger gun than you do, so I'm going to use it anyway."

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-05 04:26:24 UTC
In article
Post by J. Clarke
[...]
I doubt Roddenberry would have described it in those terms, but
that was *exactly* his intention.

Don Kuenz
2017-03-04 03:46:59 UTC
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/patrick-stewart-i-m-becoming-american-fight-trump-n728591
I don't know if he'll have to give up his knighthood. The
Vatican has made a number of American men Papal knights, so we'll
see.
I don't know how exactly he's going to fight Trump, other than
achieving citizenship by November 2018 and voting for all the
Democrats he can, but it'll certainly add some extra bizazz to
the fight.
And Trump will be pissed. He wants celebrities to love him.
In regards to your question about how to fight Trump, the best possible
entertainment IMHO is to see Patrick and Trump go mano a mano in a
wrestling ring. But Patrick may decline if he has any clue as to how
well Trump knows his way around a wrestling ring.

Donald Trump bodyslams, beats and shaves Vince McMahon at Wrestlemania XXIII

Trump isn't the first President to know his way around a wrestling ring.
Lincoln is enshrined in the Wrestling Hall of Fame.

... Lincoln reportedly talked a little smack in the ring.
... Abe once challenged an entire crowd of onlookers after
dispatching an opponent: "I'm the big buck of this lick.
If any of you want to try it, come on and whet your horns."

http://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-abraham-lincoln

Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Don Bruder
2017-03-05 02:04:25 UTC
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
You're kidding, right? I *PRAY* you're kidding. Otherwise, you just
packed *EVERY POSSIBLE SHRED OF CREDIBILTY YOU MIGHT EVER HAVE
POSSESSED* into a box addressed "OCCUPANT - dark side of the moon" and
handed it to the postman.

Hint: Professional wrestling is about as real as a 27 dollar bill.
If the door is baroque don't be Haydn. Come around Bach and jiggle the Handel.
Cryptoengineer
2017-03-05 02:52:21 UTC
Post by Don Bruder
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Watch it and weep. Our President....
http://youtu.be/MMKFIHRpe7I

2017-03-05 03:52:21 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Don Bruder
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
He's still trying to be Putin. Who's going to have the guts to
tell him he's old and fat?
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

2017-03-05 05:46:40 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Don Bruder
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Doesn't matter since he wouldn't believe them, possibly he may literally
not be able to hear any criticism or facts he doesn't like, his brain
just erasing the sounds as soon as the nerve impulses go from his ears
to whatever he uses for a brain before the rest goes to his consciousness.
2017-03-05 06:06:01 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Don Bruder
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
In much the same way his critics literally cannot hear anything
non-negative about him.

They say we tend to see in others what we see in ourselves. You
apparently see cognitive dissonance to hte point of literal
hallucinations.

Alan Baker
LOL!
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-05 18:31:05 UTC
We're back to the original question, Alan:

Do you agree that riots occured, leading to hundreds of arrests,
during the protests over Trump's election?

*One* answer, not

yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no
/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/n
o/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/
no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/yes/no/

like you've been doing.

We both (and everyone else) know you *can't* answer once, and stick
with it, since the answer is "Yes, Clinton supporters are far more
prone to criminal violence than Trump supporters or Obama haters."
And you *can't* accept that, due to your illness.

Get help, Alan. Seriously. Before you hurt yourself. You're not
interacting with the world around you any more.

Don Kuenz
2017-03-05 02:55:35 UTC
Post by Don Bruder
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
That's what Andy Kaufman, the Inter-Gender Wrestling Champion of the
World, thought until Jerry "The King" Lawler put the hurt on him. Next
thing you know Kaufman's wearing a neck brace. Here's a slightly longer
video of the McMahon vs Trump bout that includes all of the action
missing from the earlier link.

The Battle of the Billionaires takes place at WrestleMania

Don Kuenz KB7RPU
David Johnston
Oh sure. Andy Kaufman never faked anything.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-05 04:31:31 UTC
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Don Bruder
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Except being an adult.

2017-03-05 08:19:29 UTC
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Don Bruder
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
http://youtu.be/5NsrwH9I9vE
Pro wrestlers are perfectly capable of using what they know
how to do in a non-fixed fight: a "shoot" in the jargon.
Old-style "catch-as-catch-can" or "catch wrestling" was
practiced as entertainment at local fairs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_wrestling

Mixed martial arts is, in some part, a revival of this.

The choreographed martial artists in the movies can still
kick the butt of "Joe Student at the dojo."

Kevin R
Don Kuenz
2017-03-05 16:39:54 UTC
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Don Bruder
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
That reminds me of a former associate. She's now in health care public
relations, but she was one of the first female prison guards in Georgia.
The notion of female guards perturbed her superior, who, during a
prisoner transfer, seized the opportunity to briefly have her locked
into a room alone with a known violent offender. She was unarmed and her
superior wanted her beat to teach her a lesson.

When the prisoner attacked she fell to the floor on her back in a corner
and kicked at him. She was all legs from the prisoner's perspective. The
prisoner didn't see that move coming. The surprise factor kept him off
of her long enough for the door to be re-opened. She quit the job after
that ambush.

To make a long story short, she watched action movies to pick up new
moves for her repertoire. It helped that she's more action oriented
"sensing perceiving" than cerebral "intuitive thinking."

Between Trump and Andy Kaufman my knowledge of pro wrestling is just
about exhausted. Except that wrestling argot uses the terms "face" and
"heel" for the good guy/bad guy. Does McMahon acts like a "heel" at
Wrestlemania? If so, that makes Trump a "face," at least for that bout.

Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Cryptoengineer
2017-03-05 15:58:02 UTC
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Don Bruder
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Pro Wrestlers are highly trained performers. The muscles are real. But
the "fights" are fixed; any one watching can see that knee slams land
on the mat, not the body, and other moves are similarly done for
looks, not to actually hurt.

That doesn't mean that pro wrestlers don't sometimes get injured:
that can and does happen when something goes wrong. Nor does it mean
that pro wrestlers couldn't really mess someone up if they wanted to.
But if they actually did that on a regular basis, they'd rapidly
find themselves out of a job. But they pretend.

The term for this industry-wide deception of, and willing suspension
of disbelief by, the audience, is "Kayfabe".

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Kayfabe

Kaufman's 'injury' was just part of Kayfabe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_kaufman#Professional_wrestling

pt
Don Kuenz
2017-03-05 17:45:58 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Don Bruder
Post by Don Kuenz
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
What can you say about a guy who wrestles women because he freely admits
that most men will whip him in the squared circle? You might call him
"smart" in more ways than one given how there's worse jobs out there
than wrestling women for a living.

Miss Ruby Tuesday- Red Snapper Vs. Andy Kaufman

Something about Kaufman never seemed "on the level" to me. It seemed
like he ought wink more at the camera or something. YMMV.

Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-05 18:37:07 UTC
Post by Don Kuenz
Something about Kaufman never seemed "on the level" to me. It
seemed like he ought wink more at the camera or something. YMMV.
A number of people who worked with him expressed the belief that he
wasn't *acting* like he was crazy.

Don Kuenz
2017-03-06 02:30:00 UTC
Post by Don Kuenz
Something about Kaufman never seemed "on the level" to me. It
seemed like he ought wink more at the camera or something. YMMV.
A number of people who worked with him expressed the belief that he
wasn't *acting* like he was crazy.
Certifiably crazy people are "on the level" to me. YMMV. Such people act
naturally, they act crazy, which they indeed are. It's best for me to
avoid *violent* people, which includes crazy violent people. But
*non-violent* crazy people seem to fit quite comfortably into my own
little world for some crazy reason. :0)

Don Kuenz KB7RPU
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2017-03-06 06:01:13 UTC
Post by Don Kuenz
Something about Kaufman never seemed "on the level" to me. It
seemed like he ought wink more at the camera or something.
YMMV.
A number of people who worked with him expressed the belief
that he wasn't *acting* like he was crazy.
Certifiably crazy people are "on the level" to me. YMMV. Such
people act naturally, they act crazy, which they indeed are.
It's best for me to avoid *violent* people, which includes crazy
violent people. But *non-violent* crazy people seem to fit quite
comfortably into my own little world for some crazy reason. :0)
Where do "crazy assholes" fit in?

Don Kuenz
2017-03-07 01:40:21 UTC
Post by Don Kuenz
Something about Kaufman never seemed "on the level" to me. It
seemed like he ought wink more at the camera or something.
YMMV.
A number of people who worked with him expressed the belief
that he wasn't *acting* like he was crazy.
Certifiably crazy people are "on the level" to me. YMMV. Such
people act naturally, they act crazy, which they indeed are.
It's best for me to avoid *violent* people, which includes crazy
violent people. But *non-violent* crazy people seem to fit quite
comfortably into my own little world for some crazy reason. :0)
It depends. Crazy people full of righteous rage are OK. Steve Eisman,
who made a fortune from his righteous rage at the crooks on Wall Street,
is OK. OTOH it's best to avoid angry crazy people with hair-trigger
tempers who want to constantly bicker.

Don Kuenz KB7RPU