IASID: short story, get too many downvotes and you die
Add Reply
Michael Grosberg
2018-07-08 21:57:27 UTC
I remember reading a short story that sort-of predicted the typical black mirror plot of "social media will kill you". If I remember correctly, the idea is that if you get a number of negative votes above a certain threshold, which I think was 50,000 but might have been more, it becomes legal to kill you and not get punished.
I seem to remember it was written by someone known as a milsf author, such as Pournelle, or Stirling. The story may have been published in the 80's, but I read it in the last decade.
Titus G
2018-07-09 04:59:14 UTC
Post by Michael Grosberg
I remember reading a short story that sort-of predicted the typical black mirror plot of "social media will kill you". If I remember correctly, the idea is that if you get a number of negative votes above a certain threshold, which I think was 50,000 but might have been more, it becomes legal to kill you and not get punished.
I seem to remember it was written by someone known as a milsf author, such as Pournelle, or Stirling. The story may have been published in the 80's, but I read it in the last decade.
The following is from A Ticket to Tranai by Robert Sheckley and is a
side item to the plot.

"All government officials," Melith explained, "wear the badge of office,
which contains a traditional amount of tessium, an explosive you may
have heard of. The charge is radio-controlled from the Citizens Booth.
Any citizen has access to the Booth, for the purpose of expressing his
disapproval of the government."
t***@gmail.com
2018-07-11 06:39:44 UTC
An episode of "The Orville" explored that issue! A crewmember did a lewd dance with a statue and got 9,999,9996 downvotes, 4 short of the fatal amount!
Ignatios Souvatzis
2018-07-12 12:44:44 UTC
Post by Michael Grosberg
I remember reading a short story that sort-of predicted the
typical black mirror plot of "social media will kill you". If I
remember correctly, the idea is that if you get a number of negative
votes above a certain threshold, which I think was 50,000 but might
have been more, it becomes legal to kill you and not get punished.
I seem to remember it was written by someone known as a milsf
author, such as Pournelle, or Stirling. The story may have been
published in the 80's, but I read it in the last decade.
Robert Sheckley, I think. "Ticket to Tranai."

The protagonist listens in a bar to some semi-drunk, who returned from
space travel and is rambling about his travels and the perfect planet
he was on.

The protagonist travels there, and among other problems, is offered
the job of the president. Only problem is - there's a voting system:
if too many citizens press thumbs down in the Citizens' Booth, the
chain of office explodes.

-is
--
A medium apple... weighs 182 grams, yields 95 kcal, and contains no
caffeine, thus making it unsuitable for sysadmins. - Brian Kantor