L. Frank Baum's 100th death anniversary today
l***@yahoo.com
2019-05-06 14:41:47 UTC
Incredibly, hardly anyone has noticed!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/authors/wonderful-wizard-l-frank-baum-reinvented-childrens-books/

http://dailyorange.com/2019/04/wizard-oz-creators-legacy-lives-central-new-york-century-later/

But in the meantime:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Frank_Baum

Lenona.
Gene Wirchenko
2019-05-07 01:23:56 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Incredibly, hardly anyone has noticed!
More might have if "they" had not dealt with the body, but it has
been a century after all. There is nothing to trip over.

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Kevrob
2019-05-07 03:28:17 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Incredibly, hardly anyone has noticed!
More might have if "they" had not dealt with the body, but it has
been a century after all. There is nothing to trip over.
Some of my very Catholic relatives will casually make mention
of this deceased relative or that one "having their anniversary"
on an upcoming date. Having left the church many years ago,
this would make me scratch my head, until it was pointed out
to me they mean "anniversary of Uncle Joe's arrival in heaven."

There are a lot of assumptions packed in a statement like that.
A "we should hope" might need to be appended, but for politeness.

A lot of cultural groups commemorate a death anniversary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_anniversary

2019-05-07 04:34:45 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Incredibly, hardly anyone has noticed!
More might have if "they" had not dealt with the body, but it has
been a century after all. There is nothing to trip over.
Some of my very Catholic relatives will casually make mention
of this deceased relative or that one "having their anniversary"
on an upcoming date. Having left the church many years ago,
this would make me scratch my head, until it was pointed out
to me they mean "anniversary of Uncle Joe's arrival in heaven."
There are a lot of assumptions packed in a statement like that.
A "we should hope" might need to be appended, but for politeness.
If they're very Catholic, and Uncle Joe was not an acknowledged
saint, he's going to have spent some time in Purgatory.

I knew one old priest who, when it came time for us to turn to
our neighbors and shake hands and say "Peace," wasn't content to
wish peace to the nearby acolytes; he would walk up and down the
aisles shaking hands with everybody.

After a while he died, and I am convinced that he stayed in
Purgatory just long enough to shake hands with every single soul
in it.
2019-05-07 23:00:41 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
Reminds me of Shakin' Sam in M*A*S*H. He was the Protestant chaplain
though, and wasn't a particularly good guy.
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-05-08 00:10:20 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
Well, Father Bernie was definitely a good guy. And not
fictional.
2019-05-08 01:15:39 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
Shakin' Sam may have been based on a real person too. M*A*S*H (the
novel) was based on the author's experiences--he was a surgeon at a
MASH unit in Korea.