Spookybot are back....
2020-01-22 02:52:31 UTC
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4183

And I'm sort of expecting/hoping they will come through to fund
May's new body. They're good guys.
2020-01-22 03:56:52 UTC
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4183
And I'm sort of expecting/hoping they will come through to fund
May's new body. They're good guys.
Spookybot never left. They are like that.

If May gets a new body then she will be chasing down Sven ...

And one wonders how anatomically correct a $30,000 android body is ?

And if Momo has 97 TB of storage, one wonders what kind of storage
medium they are using. Maybe they finally got the holographic storage
to working.
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1995

2020-01-22 04:57:23 UTC
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4183
And I'm sort of expecting/hoping they will come through to fund
May's new body. They're good guys.
Spookybot never left. They are like that.
If May gets a new body then she will be chasing down Sven ...
And one wonders how anatomically correct a $30,000 android body is ?
And if Momo has 97 TB of storage, one wonders what kind of storage
medium they are using. Maybe they finally got the holographic storage
to working.
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1995
Nimbus data produced a 100TB ssd a couple of years back
https://nimbusdata.com/press/nimbus-data-launches-worlds-largest-solid-state-drive-100-terabytes-power-data-driven-innovation/
3.5 inch form factor

I can't find a price mind you
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-01-22 05:13:39 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4183
And I'm sort of expecting/hoping they will come through to fund
May's new body. They're good guys.
Spookybot never left. They are like that.
If May gets a new body then she will be chasing down Sven ...
And one wonders how anatomically correct a $30,000 android body is ?
And if Momo has 97 TB of storage, one wonders what kind of storage
medium they are using. Maybe they finally got the holographic storage
to working.
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1995
Nimbus data produced a 100TB ssd a couple of years back
https://nimbusdata.com/press/nimbus-data-launches-worlds-largest-solid-state-drive-100-terabytes-power-data-driven-innovation/
3.5 inch form factor
I can't find a price mind you
Whatever the price might be, it's more than May (or Roko) can
afford.

Looking back on previous strips, I begin to think that's not how
they would operate anyway.

https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4035
Alan Baker
2020-01-22 05:38:23 UTC
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4183
And I'm sort of expecting/hoping they will come through to fund
May's new body.  They're good guys.
Spookybot never left.  They are like that.
If May gets a new body then she will be chasing down Sven ...
And one wonders how anatomically correct a $30,000 android body is ?
And if Momo has 97 TB of storage, one wonders what kind of storage
medium they are using.  Maybe they finally got the holographic storage
to working.
    https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1995
Lynn
You really have no clue at all about anything you spout off about, do you?

NVMe SSDs are small... ...very small.

The very largest that the standard allows are 110mm long by 30mm wide
and 3.8mm thick. Sorry, I'm talking metric and that's probably beyond
you. About 4.3" x 1.2" x .2". All told, that's a volume of about three
quarters of a cubic inch.

But you can get 4TB NVMe SSDs in the M.2 2280 format. So 80mm x 22mm x
3.8mm. That's 0.4 cubic inches.

So your 97TB wonder requires about 9.7 cubic inches of space.

So even if you quadruple the space to allow for connections and cooling,
you're at 40 cubic inches. 4"x4"x2.5"
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2020-01-22 18:48:12 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Nimbus Data makes a 100TB drive, the ExaDrive DC100, which is a normal 3.5"
drive form factor. They're under 20 cubic inches.

Cheers - Jaimie
The square root of rope is string. -- Core 3, Valve
Lynn McGuire
2020-01-22 23:27:56 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
https://nimbusdata.com/products/exadrive-platform/scalable-ssds/

That would have been fairly tight in Momo's old twelve inch tall body:
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1995

The form factor is because it fits the existing layouts, not because it's required to be that size and shape.
Peter Trei
2020-01-23 00:13:19 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
You can actually do a lot better, even with our current this-universe
technology.

Micro SD cards now hold up to 2 Tb. They are 11mm x 15mm x 1mm. 100Tb would
occupy 8.25 cubic centimeters, a hair over one half of a cubic inch.

Even doubling or more the volume required to add wiring, cooling, and support,
it would easily fit in MoMo's head, even in her chibi form.

2020-01-23 01:11:18 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
pt
I learned a new word today ! I doubt that I will use it much though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chibi_(slang)

Hmmm, fifty 2 TB micro sd cards sounds like a difficult wiring
proposition. Add in the battery, cpu, motors to move the arms, legs,
trunk, and head around and things are fairly crowded in there.

Nope. I view QC as being set 20 years in the future. That 97 TB of
storage has got to be some sort of highly advanced technology not in
common use today. Of course, it could be four 25 TB micro sd cards
which may be just down the road in availability.

Nahh, it'll just be a magnetic disk.
Alan Baker
Bubble memory...
Lynn McGuire
2020-01-25 20:23:05 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
We will have 25 TB micro sd cards in 20 years. Maybe 10 years. The 3D
NAND stuff is amazing. And the web comic is set plus 20 years.

Lynn
Alan Baker
It's amazing you know more about every subject than everyone else...
J. Clarke
2020-01-25 23:38:38 UTC
On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 14:23:05 -0600, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
And petabyte magnetic disks.

For as long as I've been involved with computers some amazing new
technology was going to replace magnetic disk. Most of those
technologies are either gone or are niche products.
Peter Trei
2020-01-26 17:22:30 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
I don't think that's true anymore.

SSDs are a thing. My company issued laptop has a 1 Tb SSD, and no
magnetic disk. This allows it to boot and access storage noticeabley faster
than the same model with a magnetic disk.

Even my home desktop has an SSD for the system disk, and has for many years.

pt
Alan Baker
2020-01-26 17:49:49 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Anyone who thinks that SSDs are a "niche product" hasn't been awake for
the last 5 years...
Peter Trei
2020-01-26 17:56:45 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Hmmm... They're certainly become the standard in laptops, and at least the
system disk for desktops.

However, Big Storage still uses spinning magnetic disks, in various RAID
configurations. They're still cheaper, and not constrained by space to the
same extent.

Magnetic disks are now becoming the niche product.

pt
Alan Baker
2020-01-26 18:15:10 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Yup. SSD storage is still more expensive than magnetic (something on the
order of 2 to 3 times more), but for that you do get the advantage of
greater speed (both in retrieval and in no degradation of speed due to
fragmentation), ruggedness, noise...

...and of course, they are only a part of the cost of an entire system,
so when taken in that context, the extra cost of the SSD is probably
more acceptable to buyers than many would think.
That /might/ be overstating the case... ;-)
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-01-26 17:53:07 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
[...]
My PC is on its *second*, larger SSD. LotRO keeps expanding, and
after an expansion about a year ago, I downloaded it and it
wouldn't launch. New SSD and a careful copying at the local
computer shop fixed it.
2020-01-26 20:04:08 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Never claimed they weren't "a thing" but watch--20 years from now
they'll have hit some limit that magnetic didn't.
Alan Baker
2020-01-26 20:17:28 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
You realize that people were making precisely the same arguments about
continued increases in the density of components in processors and RAM...

...20 years ago...

...right?
Peter Trei
2020-01-26 21:38:25 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Exactly what is your basis for this claim? TBH, spinning disks with magnetic coatings read by stationary head less than a hairswidth away sounds much more Rube Goldberg than SSDs.

Pt
J. Clarke
History.
Alan Baker
2020-01-26 22:01:02 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
SSDs are now clearly following the trajectory of all ICs:

Getting more capable and less expensive as time goes on.
Paul S Person
2020-01-26 17:49:02 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
It's hard to kill something that /works/.

People (as opposed to technoids) tend to use things that /work/, not
things that are cool.
Juho Julkunen
2020-01-27 11:28:26 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, psperson1
@ix.netcom.invalid says...
Post by Paul S Person
It's hard to kill something that /works/.
Not really. You just need something that works better.
Juho Julkunen
Leif Roar Moldskred
2020-01-27 07:52:07 UTC
And petabyte magnetic disks.
For as long as I've been involved with computers some amazing new
technology was going to replace magnetic disk. Most of those
technologies are either gone or are niche products.
Which technologies would those be? I can't say I've heard of many
"magnetic disk killers" _besides_ SSDs. _Floppy-disk_ killers, sure,
but that's a rather different use-case than hard-drives (plus, you
can't say those didn't actually deliver in the end.)

The closest thing I've heard to technologies promising and failing
to deliver on storage over the last, oh, twenty years or so, is
actually the failure of RAID arrays of magnetic disks to completely
replace magnetic tape for all high-end backup solutions.
Leif Roar Moldskred
J. Clarke
2020-01-27 08:56:06 UTC
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 01:52:07 -0600, Leif Roar Moldskred
Post by Leif Roar Moldskred
Post by J. Clarke
And petabyte magnetic disks.
For as long as I've been involved with computers some amazing new
technology was going to replace magnetic disk. Most of those
technologies are either gone or are niche products.
Which technologies would those be? I can't say I've heard of many
"magnetic disk killers" _besides_ SSDs. _Floppy-disk_ killers, sure,
but that's a rather different use-case than hard-drives (plus, you
can't say those didn't actually deliver in the end.)
Two that come to mind are bubble memory and optical disk.
Mostly because tape is marginally cheaper.
Paul S Person
2020-01-27 18:16:03 UTC
Post by Leif Roar Moldskred
Post by J. Clarke
And petabyte magnetic disks.
For as long as I've been involved with computers some amazing new
technology was going to replace magnetic disk. Most of those
technologies are either gone or are niche products.
Which technologies would those be? I can't say I've heard of many
"magnetic disk killers" _besides_ SSDs. _Floppy-disk_ killers, sure,
but that's a rather different use-case than hard-drives (plus, you
can't say those didn't actually deliver in the end.)
Two that come to mind are bubble memory and optical disk.
I tried optical disk, in the form of DVD+R/W, about 10 years ago.

It had several problems:

1. Limited capacity. Even then, 4.7G wasn't all /that/ large if you
had significant data files.

2. It required a special driver, which caused problems.

3. I ended up going through the discs like water. They just didn't
last, and could not be relied on to hold the data when stored off-site
for a month and then on-site for another month.

The problems were interesting and instructive:

Over time, the drive used with the driver lost the ability to rip
audio CDs. It would try, but the results were ... junk. This prompted
me to buy a USB DVD drive for my Netbook (HP Mini), which worked fine.

When I converted entirely to USB (I ended up with 2 32G USB drives for
a backup set), I removed the special driver.

The drive formerly used with the driver /recovered it's ability to rip
CDs/.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2020-01-27 23:28:58 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
I tried optical disk, in the form of DVD+R/W, about 10 years ago.
1. Limited capacity. Even then, 4.7G wasn't all /that/ large if you
had significant data files.
2. It required a special driver, which caused problems.
3. I ended up going through the discs like water. They just didn't
last, and could not be relied on to hold the data when stored off-site
for a month and then on-site for another month.
Over time, the drive used with the driver lost the ability to rip
audio CDs. It would try, but the results were ... junk. This prompted
me to buy a USB DVD drive for my Netbook (HP Mini), which worked fine.
When I converted entirely to USB (I ended up with 2 32G USB drives for
a backup set), I removed the special driver.
The drive formerly used with the driver /recovered it's ability to rip
CDs.
Quality software. "Never trust hardware that needs a driver" is a truism
today, as so many common devices (particularly USB connected) are standardised
well enough that they can work from a generic one embedded in your OS. The
exceptions - graphics cards, printers, scanners and more specialised hardware
- are all, indeed, unreliable.

My first CD writer - 1996, a Sony 2x CD+RW if I remember correctly - decayed
curiously. After less than two years it became unable to read its own burns.
It had no trouble with stamped disks, but could not read its own. Which was
annoying, as my software at the time would do a validate pass and come back
with a big FAIL. I binned and re-burnt a number of discs before I worked out
they were actually fine. And quite expensive at that time, at least GBP2-3
each.

I can still read those disks today, which surprises the heck out of me.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Hell hath no fury like someone who is enraged that someone else is
getting away with something they're scared to try. - lilairen, LJ
Juho Julkunen
2020-01-28 00:00:07 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Quality software. "Never trust hardware that needs a driver" is a truism
today, as so many common devices (particularly USB connected) are standardised
well enough that they can work from a generic one embedded in your OS. The
exceptions - graphics cards, printers, scanners and more specialised hardware
- are all, indeed, unreliable.
I'm not big on supernatural, but printers in particular tend to make me
think witchcraft might be real.
Juho Julkunen
Paul S Person
2020-01-28 18:04:13 UTC
On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 02:00:07 +0200, Juho Julkunen
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Quality software. "Never trust hardware that needs a driver" is a truism
today, as so many common devices (particularly USB connected) are standardised
well enough that they can work from a generic one embedded in your OS. The
exceptions - graphics cards, printers, scanners and more specialised hardware
- are all, indeed, unreliable.
I'm not big on supernatural, but printers in particular tend to make me
think witchcraft might be real.
Try using a USB-to-parallel cable with Win10 to a nearly 30-year-old
dot matrix printer. Everything /looks/ fine, but, if it were, why
would unplugging and replugging the USB end work so well?

Then there is the currently-observed insistance of Win 10 to start
/both/ printers up Offline, whether it says it is or not in the print
queue dialog, which you have to pop up just to change it to online.
2020-01-27 23:45:09 UTC
Post by Leif Roar Moldskred
Post by J. Clarke
[...]
FWIW, my first exposure to optical was with a 500MB magneto-optical
that was a quite large drive for a short time.

The thing worked well most of the time but you could kill it by
pouring coffee on the disk (DAMHIKT).

I still have a USB floptical drive that works really well as a
diskette drive.
Alan Baker
2020-01-23 01:33:24 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
Not "may be"....

...not "just down the road".

Here. Today.

You're becoming far too focused on the fact that the raw chips that have
the storage are packaged to go in our computers and cameras and
smartphones with certain interfaces.

Take away those interfaces, and the chips are TINY.

A MicroSD card is 15mm x 11mm x 1mm...

...but that includes the packaging of the chip as well as the components
necessary to make it a pluggable peripheral.

If you wanted to make the memory from 50 2TB MicroSD cards into a
permanent single unit, you would need far less than the volume of the
individual cards for the chips themselves.
David Goldfarb
2020-01-22 07:15:13 UTC
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4183
And I'm sort of expecting/hoping they will come through to fund
May's new body. They're good guys.
Didn't they give away all their money a little while back? I suppose
it would be trivial for them to make more.
--
David Goldfarb |From the fortune cookie file:
***@gmail.com |"Do not put so much sugar in your coffee, or
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | he will think you extravagant."
Peter Trei
2020-01-24 17:45:58 UTC
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=4183
And I'm sort of expecting/hoping they will come through to fund
May's new body. They're good guys.
Much as I understand Roko's desire to do it herself, for May's sake, I'd her
to swallow her pride, and ask for a little meddling here.

pt
k***@outlook.com
2020-01-27 16:03:26 UTC
It's nice to have a reference to real technology.
Someday I might want to install a RAID backup.

For sci-fi, I'm very interested in durable storage.
The US Navy has stainless steel DVDs and Japan is
working on 3D etching in glass, which sounds very
durable.

Nils K. Hammer
Paul S Person
2020-01-27 18:17:02 UTC
Post by k***@outlook.com
It's nice to have a reference to real technology.
Someday I might want to install a RAID backup.
For sci-fi, I'm very interested in durable storage.
The US Navy has stainless steel DVDs and Japan is
working on 3D etching in glass, which sounds very
durable.
Until you drop it, of course.
2020-01-27 20:13:36 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by k***@outlook.com
It's nice to have a reference to real technology.
Someday I might want to install a RAID backup.
For sci-fi, I'm very interested in durable storage.
The US Navy has stainless steel DVDs and Japan is
working on 3D etching in glass, which sounds very
durable.
Until you drop it, of course.
Depends on the quality of the glass.

There was a news item online this morning (I didn't read it, just
heard of it from Hal, so I can't provide a link) about somebody
who tried to steal a copy of the Magna Carta by smashing the
glass that covered it with a hammer.

The glass was shatterproof. The hammer bounced off.

Then the perp ran outside and was apprehended by a group of
stonemasons who were working on the cathedral in which the Magna
Carta was housed.

Hal's comment: "Trying to fight a group of stonemasons is even more
perilous than trying to fight a blacksmith."
2020-01-27 23:54:28 UTC
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 10:17:02 -0800, Paul S Person
Post by Paul S Person
Post by k***@outlook.com
It's nice to have a reference to real technology.
Someday I might want to install a RAID backup.
For sci-fi, I'm very interested in durable storage.
The US Navy has stainless steel DVDs and Japan is
working on 3D etching in glass, which sounds very
durable.
Until you drop it, of course.
Depends on the glass.