Bone, J.F., Confederation Matador *** of 5
jack tingle
2021-09-13 14:34:45 UTC
I came across this due to the Freas book cover. It was used for the filk album Carmen Miranda's Ghost.
Bone was a ... different ... author. His stories & PoV are skewed from most others. My kind of author.
Plot: A Confederation spy, Jose Torres, from a Spanish-descended background is sent to Segovia to figure out what to do about them. The Confederation has only looked at Segovia in a cursory fashion, and Torres is asked to figure out what makes them tick.
He finds an unusual cover as a matador & proceeds with his mission.
Comment: The novel is vaguely structured around bull fighting. A lot of flurry & flutter, then a stroke of resolution. There are a lot of hidden moves that you (the bull?) can't see clearly.
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. I actually liked it better than that, but most people probably won't.
Regards, Jack Tingle
Robert Carnegie
2021-09-14 01:23:44 UTC
Post by jack tingle
I came across this due to the Freas book cover. It was used for the filk album Carmen Miranda's Ghost.
Shown here <http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?7853>

...containing less information about the story than I'd
prefer. But... artistic.
Post by jack tingle
Bone was a ... different ... author. His stories & PoV are skewed from most others. My kind of author.
Plot: A Confederation spy, Jose Torres, from a Spanish-descended background is sent to Segovia to figure out what to do about them. The Confederation has only looked at Segovia in a cursory fashion, and Torres is asked to figure out what makes them tick.
He finds an unusual cover as a matador & proceeds with his mission.
Comment: The novel is vaguely structured around bull fighting. A lot of flurry & flutter, then a stroke of resolution. There are a lot of hidden moves that you (the bull?) can't see clearly.
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. I actually liked it better than that, but most people probably won't.
Regards, Jack Tingle
I'm inferring that this is the interstellar state
"Confederation", and Segovia is probably a human
planet where Spanish is spoken and bulls are fought,
possibly robot ones to avoid animal cruelty, or not,
and not the actual city in Spain of that name, or a
person, or a music band effectively named after
place or person as with "Santana" and Carlos Santana.

I also wonder if it's a plot point for the bull to be
not more than waist high. I did think they came bigger.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2021-09-14 02:07:16 UTC
Post by jack tingle
Bone was a ... different ... author. His stories & PoV are skewed from
most others. My kind of author.
When you said J.F. Bone & Freas cover, I was really expecting a "Laser"
book!
2021-09-14 12:56:57 UTC
Post by jack tingle
Bone was a ... different ... author. His stories & PoV are skewed from
most others. My kind of author.
When you said J.F. Bone & Freas cover, I was really expecting a "Laser"
book!
I've heard *of* Laser Books:
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/publisher_authors.cgi?1040+name
Wow, I hope the contents weren't as formula-dictated as the covers!

Considering we're related at least by homophone, his name strikes no memories from my youthful reading, I would have first discovered him on the Science Fiction bookshelf at Project Gutenberg. Heh, ordering his page this way:
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=j.+f.+bone&submit_search=Go%21&sort_order=release_date
I can date my discovery of him to the latter half of 2009, and I worked my way through what was then available in a few months.
-Jack
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2021-09-14 14:01:54 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by jack tingle
Bone was a ... different ... author. His stories & PoV are skewed from
most others. My kind of author.
When you said J.F. Bone & Freas cover, I was really expecting a "Laser"
book!
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/publisher_authors.cgi?1040+name
Wow, I hope the contents weren't as formula-dictated as the covers!
Laser was an attempt to Harlequin-ize the SF market, and didn't end up
working. The strictist part of the Laser formula was every book was exactly
190 (192?) pages long. Other than that, I think they did have more
editorial guidelines than other publishers, including a "no onscreen sex"
one.

Despite the restrictions they did manage to publish some good books, including
entries in John Moressey's "Starbrat" universe, J.F. Bone, J.T. McIntosh,
Stephan Goldin and K. W. Jeter's first book.

And plenty of Freas, of course.
jack tingle
2021-09-14 18:17:37 UTC
Post by jack tingle
[...]
Yes, yes-ish, yes, no, correct
Bone was knowledgeable about bullfighting & a veterinarian.
No and much. Artistic license.
David Brown
2021-09-14 22:52:08 UTC
Post by jack tingle
I came across this due to the Freas book cover. It was used for the filk album Carmen Miranda's Ghost.
Bone was a ... different ... author. His stories & PoV are skewed from most others. My kind of author.
Plot: A Confederation spy, Jose Torres, from a Spanish-descended background is sent to Segovia to figure out what to do about them. The Confederation has only looked at Segovia in a cursory fashion, and Torres is asked to figure out what makes them tick.
He finds an unusual cover as a matador & proceeds with his mission.
Comment: The novel is vaguely structured around bull fighting. A lot of flurry & flutter, then a stroke of resolution. There are a lot of hidden moves that you (the bull?) can't see clearly.
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars. I actually liked it better than that, but most people probably won't.
Regards, Jack Tingle
Bone was one of the first "classic" era authors I read. I've liked almost all the stories of his I could find. Unfortunately, he's taking a hit b/c of a story that got in the public domain called "Pandemic" that came out as pro second-hand smoke.