xkcd: Satellite
2020-02-06 16:16:58 UTC
xkcd: Satellite
https://xkcd.com/2264/

Uh, this may be a commentary on something I just cannot put my finger on.

Explained at:
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2264:_Satellite

2020-02-06 17:24:21 UTC
xkcd: Satellite
https://xkcd.com/2264/
Uh, this may be a commentary on something I just cannot put my finger on.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2264:_Satellite
Possibly the huge satellite formations that SpaceX and others are putting up.
Starlink is low enough that even without guidance, its satellites will de orbit in a few years.

Pt
William Hyde
2020-02-06 19:15:14 UTC
xkcd: Satellite
https://xkcd.com/2264/
Uh, this may be a commentary on something I just cannot put my finger on.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2264:_Satellite
Though the note cites Stevenson, the first example of Kessler syndrome that I can recall in SF is from Joan Vinge's "World's End".

William Hyde
Robert Carnegie
2020-02-06 22:43:07 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Satellite
https://xkcd.com/2264/
Uh, this may be a commentary on something I just cannot put my finger on.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2264:_Satellite
Though the note cites Stevenson, the first example of Kessler syndrome that I can recall in SF is from Joan Vinge's "World's End".
William Hyde
It's not Kessler, but James White's "Deadly Litter" (1959)
is about the crime of leaving trash in orbit where someone
will fly into it sometime with unhilarious consequences.
I think it's one of White's where all is not as it seems.
Another of White's, whose title I seem to forget - if it
isn't this one - concerns a passenger flight approaching
Earth that gets its sensors eliminated by hitting some
previous ship's "cargo net" if I remember right...
I've just found something that claims that's "Outrider"
(1955) in _Futures Past_, but approaching Mars. Not how
I remember it.

In the 1954 series of BBC radio's _Journey into Space_,
our fleet heading for Mars encounters a meteor "swarm".
This suggests I should check _Edison's Conquest of Mars_
(1898) - but I won't - and that maybe it /is/ something
about the Planet of Petulance that has it in for
Earth spaceships.