Do SF fans prefer fantasy over reality?
Add Reply
a***@gmail.com
2020-03-21 19:46:57 UTC
Reading SF can be an escape from reality. Those with boring work or family lives, can, for example, imagine leading an exploratory mission, whether in a mediaeval world or interstellar civilization.

But SF serves multiple purposes. It explores ideas in fictional worlds. It explores facts too dangerous or unbelievable to be studied in factual books.

But I believe that most people use SF as an escape from reality. Because in the fantasy world, you can be the hero who defeats the villains, and gets the woman. SF plots can be much more complex, but you get my point.

Abhinav Lal

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Quadibloc
2020-03-22 12:01:55 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Reading SF can be an escape from reality. Those with boring work or family
lives, can, for example, imagine leading an exploratory mission, whether in a
mediaeval world or interstellar civilization.
But SF serves multiple purposes. It explores ideas in fictional worlds. It
explores facts too dangerous or unbelievable to be studied in factual books.
But I believe that most people use SF as an escape from reality. Because in the
fantasy world, you can be the hero who defeats the villains, and gets the woman.
SF plots can be much more complex, but you get my point.
Back in the 1960s, this was a very live topic.

The kind of science fiction that explored ideas - overpopulation, destructive
weaponry, new powers to control the mind - and their consequences was seen as
the justification for science fiction, while escapist kid stuff was responsible
for the low repute of the genre.

Today, John W. Campbell has passed away, and the glory days of science fiction
publishing have passed as well.

So the fact that there are very different kinds of books still called science
fiction is no longer much of a big deal in our 500-channel universe.

As for preferring fantasy to reality... well, why not? Right now, reality isn't
looking very promising.

Lynn
Chrysi Cat
2020-03-24 01:33:33 UTC
Reading SF can be an escape from reality.  Those with boring work or
family lives, can, for example, imagine leading an exploratory
mission, whether in a mediaeval world or interstellar civilization.
But SF serves multiple purposes.  It explores ideas in fictional
worlds.  It explores facts too dangerous or unbelievable to be studied
in factual books.
But I believe that most people use SF as an escape from reality.
Because in the fantasy world, you can be the hero who defeats the
villains, and gets the woman.  SF plots can be much more complex, but
you get my point.
Abhinav Lal
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Space Opera Rules !
Lynn
Says the guy who was spending most of his free time in the 8 months
leading up to an apocalyptic pandemic reading post-apocalyptic
Dominionist wankfests.
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger.
2020-03-24 01:55:36 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I'd like to see your actual analysis of that. Excel spreadsheet please.
I'll give you a clue though, I spent a lot of time from Sep 12, 2019
to Feb 6, 2020 rebuilding a used house for my family. And packing my
books and other precious crap. In fact, I will make it real easy, here
is my review list for the last 18+ years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/amzn1.account.AHV2C7F5C3SWNVJAYRZOU7ORTWYA/

And I am not sure I want to know what "Dominionist" means.

2020-03-24 02:54:23 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
"Dominion theology (also known as dominionism) is a group of
Christian political ideologies that seek to institute a nation
governed by Christians based on their understandings of biblical
law. Extents of rule and ways of achieving governing authority
are varied."

I just bet they are.
2020-03-24 03:21:36 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Have you read Ruzh'Doonie's "trunk book,"
"Jem'Hadar for Jeez'Uz!"...? :)

a.a #2310
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-03-24 04:14:02 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
No, nor do I plan to.

Googled the name, still don't plan to.
2020-03-24 03:25:38 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I have no desire to live in a theocracy. They always go bad. Horribly
bad. Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy applies especially hard here.
https://www.jerrypournelle.com/reports/jerryp/iron.html

2020-03-24 16:50:29 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Well, of course they vary.

They fall within a more general group, the one to which the saying:

"Everyone is damned but thee and me ... and sometimes I have my doubts
about thee"

applies.
2020-03-24 17:33:29 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I first heard about theonomy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theonomy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_reconstructionism

...when it turned out that Marilyn Quayle's Dad was a
Rushdoony fan. DQ was an idiot. MQ was smart, and people
feared she'd be a Dominionist Lady MacBeth, had Bush 41
died in office. She'd be a sort of "alernate universe"
Hilary Rodham.

Kevin R
a.a #2310
Paul S Person
2020-03-25 17:02:42 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
His main qualification for VP, however, was that he could safely be
paired with the elder Bush.

Anyone else would have immediately inverted the ticket, and Bush
wasn't interested in being VP again.
2020-03-25 18:43:58 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Kevrob
I first heard about theonomy...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theonomy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_reconstructionism
...when it turned out that Marilyn Quayle's Dad was a
Rushdoony fan. DQ was an idiot. MQ was smart, and people
feared she'd be a Dominionist Lady MacBeth, had Bush 41
died in office. She'd be a sort of "alernate universe"
Hilary Rodham.
His main qualification for VP, however, was that he could safely be
paired with the elder Bush.
Anyone else would have immediately inverted the ticket, and Bush
wasn't interested in being VP again.
Bush 41 was not considered "sound" by the GOP social cons,
and the economic conservatives were steamed at him for
buckling on his "no new taxes" pledge. He consulted supply-
side gurus Jude Wanniski and Arthur Laffer, for instance.

Any of his advantages were nullified by his tendency to
chew his Allen Edmonds in view of the cameras. :)

2020-03-25 20:07:56 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Kevrob
[...]
/googles

It's a shoe. Is this an obscure way of saying he opened his
mouth and put his foot in it?
2020-03-26 21:17:28 UTC
Any of his advantages were nullified by his tendency to
chew his Allen Edmonds in view of the cameras. :)
/googles
It's a shoe. Is this an obscure way of saying he opened his
mouth and put his foot in it?
Quite. AEs are not just shoes. They are non-cheapo dress shoes,
made in Wisconsin, and one of the firms still making a product like
that in the USA. Pols like to wear them as they can claim to be
"supporting the American worker." From that era I could have
name-checked Johnston & Murphy, as Tom Wolfe did in "The Bonfire of
The Vanities." Their manufacture has since been moved offshore.

https://www.usalovelist.com/mens-dress-shoes-made-in-usa/

Kevin R

William Hyde
2020-03-24 19:05:14 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Reading SF can be an escape from reality. Those with boring work or family lives, can, for example, imagine leading an exploratory mission, whether in a mediaeval world or interstellar civilization.
But SF serves multiple purposes. It explores ideas in fictional worlds. It explores facts too dangerous or unbelievable to be studied in factual books.
But I believe that most people use SF as an escape from reality. Because in the fantasy world, you can be the hero who defeats the villains, and gets the woman. SF plots can be much more complex, but you get my point.
Abhinav Lal
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Space Opera Rules !
It's one of my favourite subgenres. Done well, it's a joy, done badly, a serious bore.

And Mil-SF posing as space opera is a crime in itself.

William Hyde
Lynn McGuire
2020-03-24 19:08:09 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by a***@gmail.com
Reading SF can be an escape from reality. Those with boring work or family lives, can, for example, imagine leading an exploratory mission, whether in a mediaeval world or interstellar civilization.
But SF serves multiple purposes. It explores ideas in fictional worlds. It explores facts too dangerous or unbelievable to be studied in factual books.
But I believe that most people use SF as an escape from reality. Because in the fantasy world, you can be the hero who defeats the villains, and gets the woman. SF plots can be much more complex, but you get my point.
Abhinav Lal
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Space Opera Rules !
It's one of my favourite subgenres. Done well, it's a joy, done badly, a serious bore.
And Mil-SF posing as space opera is a crime in itself.
William Hyde
Do you have a specific example ? I am not sure about the crossover
between the two as it is huge to me.

2020-03-24 19:51:03 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by William Hyde
Post by William Hyde
Post by William Hyde
Post by William Hyde
Post by William Hyde
And Mil-SF posing as space opera is a crime in itself.
William Hyde
Do you have a specific example ?
Well, Weber is the one I know about.
Post by a***@gmail.com
I am not sure about the crossover
between the two as it is huge to me.
I would suggest that both are about magnificent deeds done in
outer space, but space opera concentrates on the heroes and their
heroism, whereas milSF concentrates on the lovely, intricate,
sexy (in the eyes of some) technology.
2020-03-24 19:24:49 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by a***@gmail.com
Abhinav Lal
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Space Opera Rules !
It's one of my favourite subgenres. Done well, it's a joy, done badly, a serious bore.
And Mil-SF posing as space opera is a crime in itself.
What my son calls "spaceship porn."

I have, somewhere saved to disk, a parody of a Weber battle
scene, which as action begins suddenly shifts to the history of
the development of one of the technological marvels in use, and
after a couple of paragraphs says ~"...and the battle seems to be
over, but it was grand and glorious..."~

If I could find it, I'd quote it, but so far it has resisted all
the powers of grep.
William Hyde
2020-03-25 19:51:43 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by a***@gmail.com
Abhinav Lal
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Space Opera Rules !
It's one of my favourite subgenres. Done well, it's a joy, done badly, a serious bore.
And Mil-SF posing as space opera is a crime in itself.
What my son calls "spaceship porn."
I have, somewhere saved to disk, a parody of a Weber battle
scene, which as action begins suddenly shifts to the history of
the development of one of the technological marvels in use, and
after a couple of paragraphs says ~"...and the battle seems to be
over, but it was grand and glorious..."~
If I could find it, I'd quote it, but so far it has resisted all
the powers of grep.
Of course military action is common in space opera. Quite a few battle scenes, and discussion of battle tactics, in WJW's "Praxis" series. Difficult to pinpoint just where it goes over the top for me. Depends on the skill of the writer, of course.

A space-operaish book that I have touted here off and on is Edmund Hamilton's "Battle for the Stars". Despite the (inapt) title, there are only two military actions in it, one rather brief. Hamilton changed his writing considerably in the early 60s, but only a few critics notice.

William Hyde