[YASID] the China corona-virus jogged my memory, a bit... help?
danny burstein
2020-01-28 15:37:38 UTC
The epidemic in China, which is right next door to Hong Kong,
reminded me of a short story (probably, but far from definitely,
Analog 1980ish).

Scenario: there are a bunch of witches who get together and
periodically clean up some ugly messes before the World, As
We Know It, comes to an end.

The immediate concern is a diseas that's spreading through
(iirc) Asia, but that's being kept quiet by The Usuals.

Except that, one US based news reporter who's been watching this unfold
and gets word of the massive devastation in, I think, Hong
Kong (might have been Taiwan), thinks it through. Then,
at the tail end of his broadcast, pulls up a map of the area
and recites the magic phrase which was something like:

"Witches of the world, unite to clean it now.
Unite to clean it now. Witch, witch clean now!

And they do. And he's out of a job...

Ring any bells? Thanks

***@panix.com
t***@gmail.com
2020-01-28 17:50:31 UTC
Post by danny burstein
The epidemic in China, which is right next door to Hong Kong,
reminded me of a short story (probably, but far from definitely,
Analog 1980ish).
Scenario: there are a bunch of witches who get together and
periodically clean up some ugly messes before the World, As
We Know It, comes to an end.
The immediate concern is a diseas that's spreading through
(iirc) Asia, but that's being kept quiet by The Usuals.
Except that, one US based news reporter who's been watching this unfold
and gets word of the massive devastation in, I think, Hong
Kong (might have been Taiwan), thinks it through. Then,
at the tail end of his broadcast, pulls up a map of the area
"Witches of the world, unite to clean it now.
Unite to clean it now. Witch, witch clean now!
And they do. And he's out of a job...
Ring any bells? Thanks
Are you perhaps thinking of Leigh Richmond's
"Prologue to an Analogue"?
- Tony
danny burstein
2020-01-28 18:02:14 UTC
In <88e73300-f293-4c0b-9c83-***@googlegroups.com> ***@gmail.com writes:
[snip]
Post by t***@gmail.com
Post by danny burstein
"Witches of the world, unite to clean it now.
Unite to clean it now. Witch, witch clean now!
And they do. And he's out of a job...
Ring any bells? Thanks
Are you perhaps thinking of Leigh Richmond's
"Prologue to an Analogue"?
Eyup, that's it. Thanks.

So it was 1961, not 1980...

Dammit, I hate it when that happens.