[OT] They Could Go Here
2021-01-06 20:23:12 UTC
Instead of revealing the location of the current "real" one, they could just go to the one that's now a tourist attraction, if they secure a large enough perimiter around it first...

https://www.npr.org/2011/03/26/134379296/the-secret-bunker-congress-never-used

Otherwise, perhaps the demonstrations will j ust continue until January 20th, or however long it takes to create a missed deadline.

2021-01-07 17:55:31 UTC
Instead of revealing the location of the current "real" one, they could just go to the one that's now a tourist attraction, if they secure a large enough perimiter around it first...
https://www.npr.org/2011/03/26/134379296/the-secret-bunker-congress-never-used
Otherwise, perhaps the demonstrations will j ust continue until January 20th, or however long it takes to create a missed deadline.
I'm not sure what the current situation is; however, one of the
articles I read yesterday looked at that and the answer is clear:

Trump/Pence will be out of office Jan 20 no matter what
if no successor is certified, the President Pelosi will take over

The new House has been constituted, and Pelosi is the Speaker.
pete...@gmail.com
2021-01-07 18:27:25 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Quadibloc
Instead of revealing the location of the current "real" one, they could just go to the one that's now a tourist attraction, if they secure a large enough perimiter around it first...
https://www.npr.org/2011/03/26/134379296/the-secret-bunker-congress-never-used
Otherwise, perhaps the demonstrations will j ust continue until January 20th, or however long it takes to create a missed deadline.
I'm not sure what the current situation is; however, one of the
Trump/Pence will be out of office Jan 20 no matter what
if no successor is certified, the President Pelosi will take over
The new House has been constituted, and Pelosi is the Speaker.
They certified the electoral votes at about 3:45 AM, so Pelosi
won't get the chance.

2021-01-07 20:47:39 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
I'm not sure what the current situation is; however, one of the
Trump/Pence will be out of office Jan 20 no matter what
if no successor is certified, the President Pelosi will take over
The new House has been constituted, and Pelosi is the Speaker.
They certified the electoral votes at about 3:45 AM, so Pelosi
won't get the chance.
It would have been interesting if something (COVID, a traffic
accident, a stroke) had happened to Pence and Trump had found
himself having to deal with a VP who was not only a Democrat, but
who in recent years filibustered for several hours, standing on
the House floor in high heels.

But something did happen to Pence yesterday: he grew a spine, or
at least a notochord, told the President that the Founding Fathers
would not have allowed the VP to override the Electoral College,
and once the Capitol had been cleared, went back to the Senate
Chamber and did his job. I watched him go through the set ritual
for fifteen or twenty states: it was like watching the Stations
of the Cross.

Hal scoffed, "He's a career politician, he knew what side of the
butter the bread was on." I say, he saved his soul.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2021-01-07 23:21:09 UTC
On 7 Jan 2021 at 20:47:39 GMT, "Dorothy J Heydt" <Dorothy J Heydt>
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
But something did happen to Pence yesterday: he grew a spine, or
at least a notochord, told the President that the Founding Fathers
would not have allowed the VP to override the Electoral College,
and once the Capitol had been cleared, went back to the Senate
Chamber and did his job. I watched him go through the set ritual
for fifteen or twenty states: it was like watching the Stations
of the Cross.
Hal scoffed, "He's a career politician, he knew what side of the
butter the bread was on." I say, he saved his soul.
He deserves no praise for clearing the lowest of low bars - doing his
mandated duty.

I realise that's more than we expect of a Republican in the current
administration, but nevertheless - it is literally the very least he
could do.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I think perhaps the most important problem is that we
are trying to understand the fundamental workings of
-- Terry Pratchett
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-01-08 00:33:56 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
But something did happen to Pence yesterday: he grew a spine, or
at least a notochord, told the President that the Founding Fathers
would not have allowed the VP to override the Electoral College,
and once the Capitol had been cleared, went back to the Senate
Chamber and did his job. I watched him go through the set ritual
for fifteen or twenty states: it was like watching the Stations
of the Cross.
Hal scoffed, "He's a career politician, he knew what side of the
butter the bread was on." I say, he saved his soul.
He deserves no praise for clearing the lowest of low bars - doing his
mandated duty.
I realise that's more than we expect of a Republican in the current
administration, but nevertheless - it is literally the very least he
could do.
You're absolutely right. But after five years of toadying to the toad,
he DID it.

"Need brooks no delay, but late is better than never."
Hamish Laws
2021-01-08 04:30:36 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
He hasn't been toadying, the GOP disagreements with Trump have basically been "he's too blatant" rather than disagreeing with what he's tried to push through
As you can tell by the number of house members who've supported his challenge to the electoral votes
Quadibloc
2021-01-08 00:32:18 UTC
But something did happen to Pence yesterday: he grew a spine, or
at least a notochord, told the President that the Founding Fathers
would not have allowed the VP to override the Electoral College,
and once the Capitol had been cleared, went back to the Senate
Chamber and did his job.
I saw from some coverage of Trump's Twitter activities that what Trump
was asking Pence to "courageously" do was send some of those electoral
votes back to the states they came from, which were "eager" to correct
the "mistake" they knew they had made.

Since, of course, none of the states submitting Democratic electors has
given any indication of such regrets, while Vice President Mike Pence
certainly did show backbone in unequivocally condemning those "special"
people who Donald Trump "loves very much", I can't find it to be an
indication of backbone that he failed to do something that was literally
impossible when requested to do so even by the President.

2021-01-07 20:41:59 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
https://www.npr.org/2011/03/26/134379296/the-secret-bunker-congress-never-used
Otherwise, perhaps the demonstrations will j ust continue until January
20th, or however long it takes to create a missed deadline.
I'm not sure what the current situation is; however, one of the
Trump/Pence will be out of office Jan 20 no matter what
if no successor is certified, the President Pelosi will take over
The new House has been constituted, and Pelosi is the Speaker.
Hmmm, I see that this was posted yesterday, before the Capitol
was cleared of miscreants, the House and the Senate both
re-assembled, and they proceeded to do their lawful thing.

All of which happened, ending in the small hours of this morning.
2021-01-08 06:01:04 UTC
Hmmm, I see that this was posted yesterday, before the Capitol
was cleared of miscreants, the House and the Senate both
re-assembled, and they proceeded to do their lawful thing.
All of which happened, ending in the small hours of this morning.
Indeed.

And, during those heady times, or shortly thereafter, I wondered if
Donald Trump would demoralize the FBI by pardoning those special
people who stormed the Capitol.

But on further reflection, I realized that this was a groundless
fear. There is a pattern to his pardons.

Those he pardons are those who know where the bodies are
buried and thus might pose a risk of testifying against him.

There's no percentage in pardoning the suckers who stormed the
Capitol at his behest. Perhaps if this gains wider recognition,
it will reduce the likelihood of similar violent acts in future.

2021-01-08 12:46:34 UTC
Hmmm, I see that this was posted yesterday, before the Capitol
was cleared of miscreants, the House and the Senate both
re-assembled, and they proceeded to do their lawful thing.
All of which happened, ending in the small hours of this morning.
Indeed.
And, during those heady times, or shortly thereafter, I wondered if
Donald Trump would demoralize the FBI by pardoning those special
people who stormed the Capitol.
But on further reflection, I realized that this was a groundless
fear. There is a pattern to his pardons.
Those he pardons are those who know where the bodies are
buried and thus might pose a risk of testifying against him.
There's no percentage in pardoning the suckers who stormed the
Capitol at his behest. Perhaps if this gains wider recognition,
it will reduce the likelihood of similar violent acts in future.
Reality appears to be closing in on Donald J. Trump with sufficient
speed that he _is_ likely to pardon himself before it's too late.

What else can we say about what we are likely to expect in the
future?

Is Mike Pence going to remove Trump from office with the help
of his cabinet, under Section 25 of the Constitution? No.

Is a second impeachment attempt in Congress going to succeed?
No.

Will this lead to Donald J. Trump starting World War III in the next
two weeks? Unlikely. If he can acknowledge reality enough to
utter words about an orderly transition of power, despite my low
opinion of him, I have to concede that his grasp on reality is better
than what would be required for that to happen.

Will Joseph R. Biden succeed in healing the divisions in America,
restoring the Democratic Party to a significant degree of popularity
in rural America and the "flyover states"?

This is unlikely. Whatever he may say, and whatever policies he
may adopt, because Trump is perceived as having been such a
disaster for America, it will not be possible to convince the people
of the regions that continued to support him in the 2020 election
that much of the Democratic Party does not view them with
contempt.

Will the Republican Party go back to its roots, and cleanse itself
of the stain of Trumpism?

To examine this question, we need to look at just what alternatives
the Republicans have.

They're not likely to pick another Eisenhower as their new leader, if
for no other reason than that any suitable candidates have either
fled the party under Trump, or passed away, such as John McCain.

What do they have to work with?

Well, they could indeed pick a leader who is close to being a
"traditional Republican". This would mean a leader that only Big
Business could love. Low tariffs, low taxes. If so, they would not
do well in the next election.

They could pick a social conservative who is on the radical wing
of the Republican Party, but not similar to Trump. Someone like
Sarah Palin. Such a candidate would definitely have a chance in
the areas of the country that supported Trump, even though not
having quite the ability to generate the same level of enthusiasm.

The remaining possibility is to offer another populist candidate.

They could offer a genuine populist this time, someone who
unlike Trump, is genuinely concerned with making America great
again - by which I mean making America once again the land of
opportunity it was during the period of the post-war economic boom,
up until somewhere during the Nixon-Ford years.

I would look with favor myself on such a candidate, but I don't think
it very likely one will be found, or that if one is found and is elected,
that his term will be crowned with success. Even if I don't agree that
some progress on this goal is impossible, I certainly admit that it
will be difficult.

What is far more likely is that we will get another opportunist, but one
who is not going to be limited in the damage he will cause by being as
incompetent as Trump was.

Or, to put it another way, someone who will be 'literally Hitler' the way
Trump wasn't.

And, at the moment, such a candidate appears likely to win the 2024
election, and such a candidate appears to be the most likely category
of candidate that the Republican Party will offer in that election.

America, please prove me wrong.

2021-01-08 14:26:26 UTC
On Friday, January 8, 2021 at 7:46:37 AM UTC-5, Quadibloc wrote:

[snip]
What is far more likely is that we will get another opportunist, .....
John, if you MUST comment on US politics, would you
please stop using "we" in this manner? I used to hate it
when Peter Jennings did that, at least until he _finally_
took US citizenship, in 2003. Jennings was a legal resident
of the US, so had more claim to use "we" then you do.

Of course, by "we" one can mean "we here on this continent,"
"we NATO allies," or even humanity, but none of those is the default.

It just grates.
2021-01-08 14:39:35 UTC
Of course, by "we" one can mean "we here on this continent,"
"we NATO allies," or even humanity, but none of those is the default.
Canada is a country that is, almost always, profoundly affected
by what goes on in the United States. Thus, when Donald Trump
was elected in 2016, we here in Canada felt that we, too, had a
problem as a result of that.

And, in any case, I resist using circumlocutions which might make
my posts more difficult to understand or even parse, even when
justified by the sort of circumstance you point out.

2021-01-08 14:58:44 UTC
[snip]
What is far more likely is that we will get another opportunist, .....
John, if you MUST comment on US politics, would you
please stop using "we" in this manner? I used to hate it
when Peter Jennings did that, at least until he _finally_
took US citizenship, in 2003. Jennings was a legal resident
of the US, so had more claim to use "we" then you do.
Of course, by "we" one can mean "we here on this continent,"
"we NATO allies," or even humanity, but none of those is the default.
It just grates.
Well, I'm going to disagree mildly here. For good or ill (and
for the last four years* it's definitely been for ill), the US has
a major influece on the entire planet.

I'm reminded of an editorial in a French journal, way back when
Obama won the Presidency for the first time. I paraphrase
because I don't have the time to look up the entire essay and you
don't have the time to read it, but he said things like "Yes, we
can" and "Today (but for how long?) we are all Americans."

_____
*My fingers began by typing "for the lost four years," and
although I went back and corrected it, the fingers had something
there.
Jonathan
2021-01-08 15:42:25 UTC
[...]
But that would be at best a stalling tactic, forcing court cases
and appeals on it's legality.

And CNN and others are pointing out a self-pardon would likely
encourage the Biden AG to prosecute Trump if for no other
reason to get the self-pardon tossed once and for all time.

Trump is in a box in so many ways, better if he could
spend some time in a cage like he put so many immigrant
children.
Post by Quadibloc
What else can we say about what we are likely to expect in the
future?
Is Mike Pence going to remove Trump from office with the help
of his cabinet, under Section 25 of the Constitution? No.
Is a second impeachment attempt in Congress going to succeed?
No.
Don't be so sure, impeachment can continue into Biden's term
and then the only punishment is banning future office.
You just might get the 15 Senators to vote to convict
if that's the only result.

There's plenty of repubs now that don't want Trump back
in 2024. And if sticking it to Trump becomes a vote
magnet as it appears to be, even easier for the
Senate to convict.

After all, no one wants to be branded as supporting terrorism.
Post by Quadibloc
Will this lead to Donald J. Trump starting World War III in the next
two weeks? Unlikely.
He couldn't launch if he wanted, there's a general in the path
that must determine if there's a genuine national emergency
and that nukes are a proportional response.

If not, the order is illegal and he can't obey the launch order.

Post by Quadibloc
utter words about an orderly transition of power, despite my low
opinion of him, I have to concede that his grasp on reality is better
than what would be required for that to happen.
Will Joseph R. Biden succeed in healing the divisions in America,
restoring the Democratic Party to a significant degree of popularity
in rural America and the "flyover states"?
But Biden is a genuine moderate the believes in bipartisanship.
His history in the Senate gives him the reputation to bring
both sides back to the middle, instead of each being in
their respective extremes.
Post by Quadibloc
This is unlikely. Whatever he may say, and whatever policies he
may adopt, because Trump is perceived as having been such a
disaster for America, it will not be possible to convince the people
of the regions that continued to support him in the 2020 election
that much of the Democratic Party does not view them with
contempt.
Will the Republican Party go back to its roots, and cleanse itself
of the stain of Trumpism?
Looks to me that movement has left the station.

Sen. "I Object" Hawley just got his book deal canceled.
Social media of all sizes are starting to ban Trump, people
seen at the Capital are getting fired left and right, and
so on.

The cleansing of right wing extremism is starting already.

And anyone branded a domestic terrorist faces the harshest
penalties under the Patriot Act. These extremists will be
hunted like they were bin Laden himself, soon enough.

Terrorism Penalties

If any person was killed as a result of terrorist activities
the punishment can include the death penalty.
https://www.carmichaellegal.com/federal-terrorism-charges

Patriot Act
Domestic Terrorism

A person engages in domestic terrorism if they do an act
"dangerous to human life" that is a violation of the
criminal laws of a state or the United States, if the act
appears to be intended to:

(i) intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii) influence the policy of a government by intimidation
or coercion; or
(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass
destruction, assassination or kidnapping.

Seizure of assets - Sec. 806: Section 806 of the Act could
result in the civil seizure of their assets without a
prior hearing, and without them ever being convicted
of a crime.

Section 806 amended the civil asset forfeiture statute to
authorize the government to seize and forfeit: all assets,
foreign or domestic

(i) of any individual, entity, or organization engaged
in planning or perpetrating any act of domestic or
international terrorism against the United States, or
their property, and all assets, foreign or domestic,
affording any person a source of influence over any
such entity or organization

https://www.aclu.org/other/how-usa-patriot-act-redefines-domestic-terrorism

And don't forget Trump's executive order making it a ten year
felony to destroy govt property. It was of course meant to
protect Confederate symbols, but what's that old saying?

Be careful for what you wish, Trumpsters.
https://twitter.com/Non_Linear1
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-01-08 14:51:49 UTC
Hmmm, I see that this was posted yesterday, before the Capitol
was cleared of miscreants, the House and the Senate both
re-assembled, and they proceeded to do their lawful thing.
All of which happened, ending in the small hours of this morning.
Indeed.
And, during those heady times, or shortly thereafter, I wondered if
Donald Trump would demoralize the FBI by pardoning those special
people who stormed the Capitol.
But on further reflection, I realized that this was a groundless
fear. There is a pattern to his pardons.
Those he pardons are those who know where the bodies are
buried and thus might pose a risk of testifying against him.
There's no percentage in pardoning the suckers who stormed the
Capitol at his behest. Perhaps if this gains wider recognition,
it will reduce the likelihood of similar violent acts in future.
An interesting idea. We'll see if it pans out.

Thirteen days to go.
Charles Packer
2021-01-08 09:03:08 UTC
I'm not sure what the current situation is; however, one of the articles
Trump/Pence will be out of office Jan 20 no matter what if no successor
is certified, the President Pelosi will take over
The new House has been constituted, and Pelosi is the Speaker.
Hmmm, I see that this was posted yesterday, before the Capitol was
cleared of miscreants, the House and the Senate both re-assembled, and
they proceeded to do their lawful thing.
All of which happened, ending in the small hours of this morning.
Incidentally, Jan. 6 is Epiphany. I couldn't find when Congress
mandated that date for the opening of the electoral votes.
We've all heard of the Witches Sabbath. Could Wednesday's
events be described as a Witches Epiphany?
Robert Carnegie
2021-01-08 10:31:27 UTC
Post by Charles Packer
I'm not sure what the current situation is; however, one of the articles
Trump/Pence will be out of office Jan 20 no matter what if no successor
is certified, the President Pelosi will take over
The new House has been constituted, and Pelosi is the Speaker.
Hmmm, I see that this was posted yesterday, before the Capitol was
cleared of miscreants, the House and the Senate both re-assembled, and
they proceeded to do their lawful thing.
All of which happened, ending in the small hours of this morning.
Incidentally, Jan. 6 is Epiphany. I couldn't find when Congress
mandated that date for the opening of the electoral votes.
We've all heard of the Witches Sabbath. Could Wednesday's
events be described as a Witches Epiphany?
You are accusing Speaker Pelosi of witchcraft?

Do you imagine that she - no, I won't say it,
or some bastard on the "nut" wing will claim
that "they" admitted it. I am not "they" and
I am not connected to "they".

Freedom of speech is tricky: I can't exercise it.

Anyway, is it the high heels?

Those should be abolished in "formal" dress, they're
injurious and they complicated the evacuation of the
women and children first. The Speaker gets a high up
chair to sit in, so why heels?
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-01-08 15:06:01 UTC
Post by Charles Packer
I'm not sure what the current situation is; however, one of the articles
Trump/Pence will be out of office Jan 20 no matter what if no successor
is certified, the President Pelosi will take over
The new House has been constituted, and Pelosi is the Speaker.
Hmmm, I see that this was posted yesterday, before the Capitol was
cleared of miscreants, the House and the Senate both re-assembled, and
they proceeded to do their lawful thing.
All of which happened, ending in the small hours of this morning.
Incidentally, Jan. 6 is Epiphany. I couldn't find when Congress
mandated that date for the opening of the electoral votes.
We've all heard of the Witches Sabbath. Could Wednesday's
events be described as a Witches Epiphany?
Joe Biden mentioned that it was the Feast of the Epiphany, and
said something about how this day could be an epiphany for
everybody, a time of realization.
Post by Robert Carnegie
You are accusing Speaker Pelosi of witchcraft?
Well, I did see, among those innumerable videos of the Wednesday
chaos, somebody carrying a sign reading "Pelosi is Satan."
That's just silly.
Post by Robert Carnegie
Do you imagine that she - no, I won't say it,
or some bastard on the "nut" wing will claim
that "they" admitted it. I am not "they" and
I am not connected to "they".
Freedom of speech is tricky: I can't exercise it.
Did you by any chance mean to type "exorcise it"?
Post by Robert Carnegie
Anyway, is it the high heels?
Those should be abolished in "formal" dress, they're
injurious and they complicated the evacuation of the
women and children first. The Speaker gets a high up
chair to sit in, so why heels?
(a) Pelosi's filibuster in heels was long enough ago that she may
not have been Speaker then. (b) Watching video of the Senate
Chamber being evacuated, I saw at least one woman crouching on
the floor, and I could see that she was wearing sensible flats.
2021-01-08 13:23:17 UTC
Post by Charles Packer
I'm not sure what the current situation is; however, one of the articles
Trump/Pence will be out of office Jan 20 no matter what if no successor
is certified, the President Pelosi will take over
The new House has been constituted, and Pelosi is the Speaker.
Hmmm, I see that this was posted yesterday, before the Capitol was
cleared of miscreants, the House and the Senate both re-assembled, and
they proceeded to do their lawful thing.
All of which happened, ending in the small hours of this morning.
Incidentally, Jan. 6 is Epiphany.
It always was when I was a kid. But....

[quote]

While the traditional date for the feast is Jan. 6, in the United States the
celebration of Epiphany is moved to the next Sunday, overlapping with
the rest of the Western Church’s celebration of the Baptism of Christ.

[/quote]

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/want-to-know-the-history-behind-todays-feast-of-the-epiphany-75968
Post by Charles Packer
I couldn't find when Congress
mandated that date for the opening of the electoral votes.
1948, per 3 U.S.C. §15.

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title3-section15&num=0&edition=prelim

Procedures for the counting of the vote explained:

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/RL/RL32717/12

{Congressional Research Service} Also found at:

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL32717.pdf

The 20th Amendment (1933) moved the Inauguration and the
swearing-in* of the new Congress, from March to January.

* Followed, according to the old joke, with being sworn at. :)
Post by Charles Packer
We've all heard of the Witches Sabbath. Could Wednesday's
events be described as a Witches Epiphany?
The rioters would probably reserve that for meetings of The Squad.