[tor dot com] Five Ways To Benefit If Planet 9 Turns Out To Be a Black Hole
2019-10-23 14:21:28 UTC
Five Ways To Benefit If Planet 9 Turns Out To Be a Black Hole

https://www.tor.com/2019/10/23/five-ways-to-benefit-if-planet-9-turns-out-to-be-a-black-hole/
2019-10-23 18:46:55 UTC
What's the time-dilation far enough from a black hole to be safe from tidal effects and radiation? Practical question: what besides ourselves, do we wish to gift to the future?
-Jack
James Nicoll
2019-10-23 22:48:18 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
What's the time-dilation far enough from a black hole to be safe from
tidal effects and radiation? Practical question: what besides
ourselves, do we wish to gift to the future?
If you're far enough away not to get shredded by tides, you're not
close enough to experiences significant relativistic effects.
2019-10-23 23:09:16 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
What's the time-dilation far enough from a black hole to be safe from
tidal effects and radiation? Practical question: what besides
ourselves, do we wish to gift to the future?
If you're far enough away not to get shredded by tides, you're not
close enough to experiences significant relativistic effects.
That depends on how big it is. In principle one can get quite close
to the event horizon of a really big one without much difficulty.
David DeLaney
2019-10-27 06:21:23 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
What's the time-dilation far enough from a black hole to be safe from tidal
effects and radiation?
Depends critically on how big the black hole _is_.

Dave, micro-black holes tend to decouple the two dangers
2019-10-24 17:10:06 UTC
Five Ways To Benefit If Planet 9 Turns Out To Be a Black Hole
https://www.tor.com/2019/10/23/five-ways-to-benefit-if-planet-9-turns-out-to-be-a-black-hole/
(B), a source of energy, certainly is highly plausible, and (C) is of some
interest as well. Turning millenia into centuries is not to be sneezed at,
although there's the question of stopping at the other end of one's journey.