[OT] Considering the Alternatives
Quadibloc
2020-02-05 17:04:36 UTC
Given that she can still joke about that, this proves Donald Trump is more
democratic than Joseph Stalin.

It is being claimed that her act was spontaneous, not calculated in advance. I can
believe that, because such an act is very much "playing to one's base" - while
Trump's base is shaming her for this, I think it's reasonable that some in the
middle of the road are going to focus on her unusual act. So we can't conclude
that she has decided to bury the hatchet vis-a-vis Alexandria Occasio-Cortez.

You only need quorum to vote for stuff, don't you? More Representatives following
AOC's example might have sent a more effective message, less likely to be
misconstrued.

John Savard
Quadibloc
2020-02-05 17:23:49 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Given that she can still joke about that, this proves Donald Trump is more
democratic than Joseph Stalin.
It is being claimed that her act was spontaneous, not calculated in advance. I can
believe that, because such an act is very much "playing to one's base" - while
Trump's base is shaming her for this, I think it's reasonable that some in the
middle of the road are going to focus on her unusual act. So we can't conclude
that she has decided to bury the hatchet vis-a-vis Alexandria Occasio-Cortez.
You only need quorum to vote for stuff, don't you? More Representatives following
AOC's example might have sent a more effective message, less likely to be
misconstrued.
Human life is sacred. Every human life is a gift from God.

Which is why we have to keep those dirty Mexicans out, while still protecting
your Second Amendment rights so that America can continue to enjoy school
shootings.

And then there's the Presidential Medal of Freedom for Rush Limbaugh.

TDS isn't going to make the DSM. He really is beyond the pale.

John Savard
Lynn McGuire
2020-02-05 19:07:14 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
And yet, here you are exhibiting TDS.

Again.

Lynn
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2020-02-05 20:41:54 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
For him to be doing so *again*, there would have to be an
intervening period during which he stopped.

You're an optomist, aren't you?
--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:
Lynn McGuire
2020-02-06 01:14:14 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
Not according to the wife of 38 years.

Lynn
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2020-02-06 17:21:55 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Lynn McGuire
On Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 10:04:39 AM UTC-7,
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
Or perhaps you just haven't been paying attention?

Robert Carnegie
2020-02-06 00:58:37 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Given that she can still joke about that, this proves Donald Trump is more
democratic than Joseph Stalin.
It is being claimed that her act was spontaneous, not calculated in advance. I can
believe that, because such an act is very much "playing to one's base" - while
Trump's base is shaming her for this, I think it's reasonable that some in the
middle of the road are going to focus on her unusual act. So we can't conclude
that she has decided to bury the hatchet vis-a-vis Alexandria Occasio-Cortez.
You only need quorum to vote for stuff, don't you? More Representatives following
AOC's example might have sent a more effective message, less likely to be
misconstrued.
John Savard
Who is "she"? Has Donald Trump had a sex change
just because I said there would never ever be a
female U.S. president?
Quadibloc
2020-02-06 03:32:21 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Who is "she"? Has Donald Trump had a sex change
just because I said there would never ever be a
female U.S. president?
No, the person who said that tearing up the State of the Union address was
polite, presumably compared to using it to line a bird cage or using it for
toilet paper, although being a woman, was definitely not Donald Trump.

Her name is Nancy Pelosi, Speaker of the House of Representatives.

John Savard
Paul S Person
2020-02-06 18:31:20 UTC
On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 16:58:37 -0800 (PST), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Quadibloc
Given that she can still joke about that, this proves Donald Trump is more
democratic than Joseph Stalin.
It is being claimed that her act was spontaneous, not calculated in advance. I can
believe that, because such an act is very much "playing to one's base" - while
Trump's base is shaming her for this, I think it's reasonable that some in the
middle of the road are going to focus on her unusual act. So we can't conclude
that she has decided to bury the hatchet vis-a-vis Alexandria Occasio-Cortez.
You only need quorum to vote for stuff, don't you? More Representatives following
AOC's example might have sent a more effective message, less likely to be
misconstrued.
John Savard
Who is "she"? Has Donald Trump had a sex change
just because I said there would never ever be a
female U.S. president?
Well, Trump /does/ keep referring to himself as a "witch" ...
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."
Lynn McGuire
2020-02-06 04:57:56 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Given that she can still joke about that, this proves Donald Trump is more
democratic than Joseph Stalin.
It is being claimed that her act was spontaneous, not calculated in advance. I can
believe that, because such an act is very much "playing to one's base" - while
Trump's base is shaming her for this, I think it's reasonable that some in the
middle of the road are going to focus on her unusual act. So we can't conclude
that she has decided to bury the hatchet vis-a-vis Alexandria Occasio-Cortez.
You only need quorum to vote for stuff, don't you? More Representatives following
AOC's example might have sent a more effective message, less likely to be
misconstrued.
John Savard
You do realize that you are advocating a civil war in the USA.

In a civil war in the USA, the people who are advocating for change
don't have guns. And Canada will not come off so well with a shooting
war going on in the USA.

Lynn
Alan Baker

You really are an ass.
Quadibloc
2020-02-06 05:55:24 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
You do realize that you are advocating a civil war in the USA.
Democratic Representatives deciding to snub Trump's State of the Union address
is a civil war?

I doubt that unarmed Democrats are seeking to initiate such a thing. They expect
the country's institutions to work. Impeachment didn't, so now they expect Trump
to lose the next election. If they could have done a less messy job of picking a
new candidate, that might not have seemed unrealistic.

John Savard
Quadibloc
2020-02-06 05:59:21 UTC
so now they expect Trump to lose the next election.
And - just maybe, mind you - if he doesn't, maybe some of them actually _will_
move to Canada, if they can.

I wish AMD would move to Canada. They bought ATI, so we no longer have a big tech
company. That might not exactly double our GNP, but it would sure help.

John Savard
Lynn McGuire
2020-02-06 06:55:29 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Lynn McGuire
You do realize that you are advocating a civil war in the USA.
Democratic Representatives deciding to snub Trump's State of the Union address
is a civil war?
I doubt that unarmed Democrats are seeking to initiate such a thing. They expect
the country's institutions to work. Impeachment didn't, so now they expect Trump
to lose the next election. If they could have done a less messy job of picking a
new candidate, that might not have seemed unrealistic.
John Savard
Not showing up for your sworn duties is rebellion. Rebellion leads to
civil war.

Lynn
J. Clarke
2020-02-06 12:48:53 UTC
On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 00:55:29 -0600, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Lynn McGuire
You do realize that you are advocating a civil war in the USA.
Democratic Representatives deciding to snub Trump's State of the Union address
is a civil war?
I doubt that unarmed Democrats are seeking to initiate such a thing. They expect
the country's institutions to work. Impeachment didn't, so now they expect Trump
to lose the next election. If they could have done a less messy job of picking a
new candidate, that might not have seemed unrealistic.
John Savard
Not showing up for your sworn duties is rebellion. Rebellion leads to
civil war.
When did members of the House of Representatives swear to listen to a
speech? The Constitution requires the President to deliver it, it
doesn't require anybody to listen to it.
Kevrob
2020-02-06 16:37:10 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Lynn McGuire
You do realize that you are advocating a civil war in the USA.
Democratic Representatives deciding to snub Trump's State of the Union address
is a civil war?
I doubt that unarmed Democrats are seeking to initiate such a thing. They expect
the country's institutions to work. Impeachment didn't, so now they expect Trump
to lose the next election. If they could have done a less messy job of picking a
new candidate, that might not have seemed unrealistic.
John Savard
Not showing up for your sworn duties is rebellion. Rebellion leads to
civil war.
When did members of the House of Representatives swear to listen to a
speech? The Constitution requires the President to deliver it, it
doesn't require anybody to listen to it.
The President delivering the speech in person, before a joint
session, isn't even in the Constitution. This is:

[quote] US Constitution, Article II

Section 3 - President shall communicate to Congress. He may convene and
adjourn Congress, in case of disagreement, etc. Shall receive
ambassadors, execute laws, and commission officers.

He shall from time to time give to the Congress information of the state
of the Union, and recommend to their consideration such measures as he
shall judge necessary and expedient;....

{There's nothing there saying he has to do it in person.
More below.}

.....he shall take care that the laws be faithfully executed, ....

{Not giving Ukraine the promised military aid in a timely fashion
could possibly have been interpreted as this, but it wasn't.}

[/quote] - https://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/art2.asp

[quote]

According to the National Archives, George Washington first fulfilled
this particular presidential duty on January 8, 1790, when he addressed
the new Congress in the Senate Chamber of Federal Hall in New York City
(then the U.S. capital). But Thomas Jefferson, the third president, chose
to give his annual message to Congress in writing rather than make the
trek to the Capitol — kicking off a tradition that would last nearly a
century.

{TJ thought that the Pres orating in front of Congress smacked
too much of a British king giving the speech to open Parliament.
He may have been right about that.}

In 1913, Woodrow Wilson decided to buck that tradition. Shortly after
his inauguration, Wilson went to Capitol Hill to make a speech about
tariffs, becoming the first president since John Adams to presume to
address Congress directly, on its own turf. That December, Wilson
returned before Congress to give the first modern State of the Union
address (though it wouldn’t officially be called that until Franklin
D. Roosevelt’s presidency).

Since Wilson, all presidents (except Herbert Hoover) have chosen to go
before Congress to deliver their annual messages, though some
presidents reverted to a written message at times. With the advent of
radio, television and the Internet, the State of the Union has become
an even bigger opportunity for presidents to speak directly to
Americans, including highlighting achievements and outlining priorities
and policies for the future. An estimated 48 million people watched
President Trump’s first address to a joint session of Congress in February
2017, considered the first-term equivalent of the State of the Union.

[/quote]

https://www.history.com/news/state-of-the-union-explained

The Speaker, after the Clinton and Trump impeachments, might
have not invited the President to speak, but that would have
been seen as petty, and hurt the party holding the House in
the next election.

--
Kevin R
a.a #2310
Quadibloc
2020-02-06 13:40:17 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Not showing up for your sworn duties is rebellion.
Showing up and not doing them, how about that?

Not giving due consideration to serious articles of impeachment because he's your
boy? The Republicans have already rebelled, then, by that sort of definition.

John Savard
o***@gmail.com
2020-02-06 17:47:55 UTC
On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 7:40:20 AM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:

".....serious articles of impeachment....."

Best joke I've ever heard you tell.

( .....and who said leftists don't have a sense of humor ?)
J. Clarke
2020-02-06 23:49:57 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Lynn McGuire
Not showing up for your sworn duties is rebellion.
Showing up and not doing them, how about that?
Not giving due consideration to serious articles of impeachment because he's your
boy?
They gave them serious consideration, decided that they were crap, and
tossed them in the trash.
Post by Quadibloc
The Republicans have already rebelled, then, by that sort of definition.
Nothing in the Constitution requires that the Senate agree with the
House.
David Johnston
2020-02-06 23:58:31 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Lynn McGuire
Not showing up for your sworn duties is rebellion.
Showing up and not doing them, how about that?
Not giving due consideration to serious articles of impeachment because he's your
boy?
They gave them serious consideration,
No. They didn't. Serious consideration would require actually
listening to testimony.
Alan Baker
Calling witnesses at a trial? What a novel idea!
h***@gmail.com
Look just because the senate called witnesses in every other impeachment ever is no reason to expect them to do it now...
Alan Baker
2020-02-07 00:14:46 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Lynn McGuire
Not showing up for your sworn duties is rebellion.
Showing up and not doing them, how about that?
Not giving due consideration to serious articles of impeachment because he's your
boy?
They gave them serious consideration, decided that they were crap, and
tossed them in the trash.
No actually. Several of them or on record as stating that Trump did
precisely what the House stated.
"Do impartial justice"
Alan Baker
But using foreign governments to win an election is all kosher!
David Johnston
What sworn duty would that be?
Alan Baker
2020-02-06 23:08:15 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Lynn McGuire
You do realize that you are advocating a civil war in the USA.
Democratic Representatives deciding to snub Trump's State of the Union address
is a civil war?
I doubt that unarmed Democrats are seeking to initiate such a thing. They expect
the country's institutions to work. Impeachment didn't, so now they expect Trump
to lose the next election. If they could have done a less messy job of picking a
new candidate, that might not have seemed unrealistic.
John Savard
Not showing up for your sworn duties is rebellion.  Rebellion leads to
civil war.
What sworn duty would that be?
Well... ...there was the sworn duty to do impartial justice...

...but somehow no one wants to talk about that.

:-)
h***@gmail.com
2020-02-06 22:21:07 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Not showing up for your sworn duties is rebellion. Rebellion leads to
civil war.
So no doubt you'll be gunning for the GOP senators who left the impeachment trial?