[Special Request] Making History by Stephen Fry
2019-07-09 19:59:37 UTC
Making History by Stephen Fry

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
2019-07-10 01:37:12 UTC
Making History by Stephen Fry
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
Ummm, interesting, but the link leads to _Rosewater_ by Tade
Thompson.
2019-07-10 13:36:49 UTC
Making History by Stephen Fry
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
Ummm, interesting, but the link leads to _Rosewater_ by Tade
Thompson.
Hmmm.

Making History is

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me

Rosewater is

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascination-fascinating-me

Similar but not quite the same....
2019-07-10 15:17:50 UTC
Making History by Stephen Fry
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
Ummm, interesting, but the link leads to _Rosewater_ by Tade
Thompson.
Hmmm.
Making History is
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
Rosewater is
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascination-fascinating-me
Similar but not quite the same....
Once, just once, I'd to see a story where killing Hitler doesn't lead to
a worse world.
Martin
http://johnnypez9.blogspot.com/2009/07/drowned-baby-timeline.html
Robert Carnegie
2019-07-10 18:16:36 UTC
Making History by Stephen Fry
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
Ummm, interesting, but the link leads to _Rosewater_ by Tade
Thompson.
Hmmm.
Making History is
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
Rosewater is
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascination-fascinating-me
Similar but not quite the same....
Once, just once, I'd to see a story where killing Hitler doesn't lead to
a worse world.
There's an argument that the provisions of the
Treaty of Versailles basically caused the trouble.
You could also look at the Russian Revolution.

Can someone produce the SMBC cartoon where a time
traveller removed the criminal-against-humanity of
their own history, which meant we got Hitler?

Neither that nor Stephen Fry's novel are hard
science fiction, of course. Instead they propose
that putting the world right is not as simple as
you think. Or someone would do it /without/
a time machine.

See also _Star Trek Into Darkness_ which was on TV
the other night.
Juho Julkunen
2019-07-10 19:22:05 UTC
[...]
https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2013-03-19

I thought finding it was as easy as searching for "smbc" and "hitler",
but it turned out not to be:

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/killing-hitler

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2014-02-12
Juho Julkunen
Peter Trei
2019-07-10 19:42:57 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
I liked this version:

http://www.viruscomix.com/page382.html

2019-07-10 20:34:45 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
Alternate strategy: bribe the admissions officers of Vienna's
Academy of Fine tys to let Hitler in. Bribe his instructors
to give him good grades. When he has an exhibit, use stooges
to buy his paintings.

Let it slip that his "scholarship" was funded by Jewish philanthropists. :)

Not quite as good as making an ex-pat SF writer out of him,
but it might work. :)

Kevin R
Juho Julkunen
2019-07-10 23:25:42 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
The last one seems like a misstep.

Also: "tys"?
Juho Julkunen
David Goldfarb
2019-07-11 05:00:06 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Also: "tys"?
Take the word "Arts". Drop off the first letter and it becomes
"rts". Take the first two letters and move them over one key on
the keyboard to the right, and rt becomes ty. "tys".
--
David Goldfarb | Nunc, Pince, tibi nocendus sum.
***@gmail.com |
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | -- Aniinsani
Kevrob
2019-07-11 06:07:53 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Juho Julkunen
Also: "tys"?
Take the word "Arts". Drop off the first letter and it becomes
"rts". Take the first two letters and move them over one key on
the keyboard to the right, and rt becomes ty. "tys".
M$ was forcing through updates and causing my browser to misbehave,
and I MEGOed the typo. Good catch.

2019-07-11 00:58:56 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
I've already linked to "Wikihistory," so I won't again.
2019-07-16 12:56:56 UTC
I've already linked to "Wikihistory," so I won't again.
... it might have changed since you linked last!

Dave, hutp://, hyper-universe transport protocol
Leif Roar Moldskred
2019-07-12 20:58:44 UTC
Alternate strategy: bribe the admissions officers of Vienna's
Academy of Fine tys to let Hitler in. Bribe his instructors
to give him good grades. When he has an exhibit, use stooges
to buy his paintings.
Let it slip that his "scholarship" was funded by Jewish philanthropists. :)
Not quite as good as making an ex-pat SF writer out of him,
but it might work. :)
Haring off on that tangent, which persons from our history have been
"de-Hitlerified" in similar manners? Hemingway, of course, but who
else?

(I'm also reminded of the "Alternate Warriors" anthology edited by
Mike Resnick.)
Leif Roar Moldskred
Kevrob
2019-07-12 22:42:17 UTC
Post by Leif Roar Moldskred
Post by Kevrob
Alternate strategy: bribe the admissions officers of Vienna's
Academy of Fine tys to let Hitler in. Bribe his instructors
to give him good grades. When he has an exhibit, use stooges
to buy his paintings.
Let it slip that his "scholarship" was funded by Jewish philanthropists. :)
Not quite as good as making an ex-pat SF writer out of him,
but it might work. :)
Haring off on that tangent, which persons from our history have been
"de-Hitlerified" in similar manners? Hemingway, of course, but who
else?
(I'm also reminded of the "Alternate Warriors" anthology edited by
Mike Resnick.)
I'm thinking of Niven's "The Return of William Proxmire."

Kevin R
Juho Julkunen
2019-07-10 23:23:21 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Juho Julkunen
[...]
Yeah, that's a fun one. Somebody is having a "are we the baddies?"
moment.
Juho Julkunen
Gene Wirchenko
2019-07-11 20:21:00 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 02:23:21 +0300, Juho Julkunen
[snip]
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Peter Trei
http://www.viruscomix.com/page382.html
Yeah, that's a fun one. Somebody is having a "are we the baddies?"
moment.
That is the best killing-Hitler strip I have seen. You tying it
in with "Are We the Baddies?" is just golden.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Dorothy J Heydt
2019-07-10 18:20:57 UTC
Once, just once, I'd to see a story where killing Hitler doesn't lead to
a worse world.
Time for me to link

https://www.tor.com/2011/08/31/wikihistory/

again.
William Hyde
2019-07-10 23:36:25 UTC
Making History by Stephen Fry
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
Ummm, interesting, but the link leads to _Rosewater_ by Tade
Thompson.
Hmmm.
Making History is
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
Rosewater is
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascination-fascinating-me
Similar but not quite the same....
Once, just once, I'd to see a story where killing Hitler doesn't lead to
a worse world.
Spoiler space for Saberhagen's "A century of progress"

Hitler is killed in Chicago in 1933. We don't see what happens next, but the people responsible have killed Hitler before, in other timelines. They probably wouldn't keep doing it if it didn't work.

William Hyde
Dimensional Traveler
2019-07-11 01:31:06 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Making History by Stephen Fry
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
Ummm, interesting, but the link leads to _Rosewater_ by Tade
Thompson.
Hmmm.
Making History is
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascinations-fascinate-me
Rosewater is
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/strange-fascination-fascinating-me
Similar but not quite the same....
Once, just once, I'd to see a story where killing Hitler doesn't lead to
a worse world.
Spoiler space for Saberhagen's "A century of progress"
Hitler is killed in Chicago in 1933. We don't see what happens next, but the people responsible have killed Hitler before, in other timelines. They probably wouldn't keep doing it if it didn't work.
Or they keep doing it because they figure they've GOT to get it right
eventually.
William Hyde
2019-07-11 21:05:17 UTC
Post by William Hyde
[...]
IIRC the last line is:

"One more timeline without Hitler".

William Hyde
a***@msn.com
2019-07-11 22:23:44 UTC
Once, just once, I'd to see a story where killing Hitler doesn't lead to
a worse world.
If I recall correctly that happens in Lawrence Watt-Evans' "The Murderer."