OT - Analysis of favourite book titles
a***@gmail.com
2019-05-30 07:39:13 UTC
Instead of reviewing or analysing the contents of books, I am going to simply analyse book titles, without regard to the contents.

My favourite nonfiction book title is, "Necessary Illusions: thought control in democratic societies". It isn't enough for the government/powers to know what you are thinking, they also want to control what you are thinking.

One of my favourite SF book titles is, "The Forever War". A war is being constantly fought between those in power, and those who dare speak truth to power.

Please feel free to tell me your favourite book titles, along with your interpretation of its meaning.

Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor

"Freedom is an illusion"
Peter Trei
2019-05-30 13:44:44 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Instead of reviewing or analysing the contents of books, I am going to simply analyse book titles, without regard to the contents.
My favourite nonfiction book title is, "Necessary Illusions: thought control in democratic societies". It isn't enough for the government/powers to know what you are thinking, they also want to control what you are thinking.
One of my favourite SF book titles is, "The Forever War". A war is being constantly fought between those in power, and those who dare speak truth to power.
Is that Haldeman's or Weil's TFW? It doesn't sound like Haldeman's.

2019-05-30 20:28:58 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a***@gmail.com
Instead of reviewing or analysing the contents of books, I am going to simply analyse book titles, without regard to the contents.
My favourite nonfiction book title is, "Necessary Illusions: thought control in democratic societies". It isn't enough for the government/powers to know what you are thinking, they also want to control what you are thinking.
One of my favourite SF book titles is, "The Forever War". A war is being constantly fought between those in power, and those who dare speak truth to power.
Is that Haldeman's or Weil's TFW? It doesn't sound like Haldeman's.
Probably Haldeman's, but Abhinav Lal hasn't read the book.
Just the spine. It's "guess what the story inside
could be".

I am disinclined to play this game. I think it is silly.
a***@gmail.com
2019-05-31 13:26:25 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by a***@gmail.com
Instead of reviewing or analysing the contents of books, I am going to simply analyse book titles, without regard to the contents.
My favourite nonfiction book title is, "Necessary Illusions: thought control in democratic societies". It isn't enough for the government/powers to know what you are thinking, they also want to control what you are thinking.
One of my favourite SF book titles is, "The Forever War". A war is being constantly fought between those in power, and those who dare speak truth to power.
Is that Haldeman's or Weil's TFW? It doesn't sound like Haldeman's.
Probably Haldeman's, but Abhinav Lal hasn't read the book.
Just the spine. It's "guess what the story inside
could be".
I am disinclined to play this game. I think it is silly.
Why play my silly games, when instead you could be reading books about magical elves, or time trial to mediaeval times?

Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
David DeLaney
2019-06-03 10:57:07 UTC
Probably Haldeman's, but Abhinav Lal hasn't read the book.
Just the spine. It's "guess what the story inside could be".
He is Fred Armisen
and I claim
a Seth Meyer reaction shot.

Dave, and far away Jon Batiste looks puzzled
2019-06-03 16:59:22 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Robert Carnegie
Probably Haldeman's, but Abhinav Lal hasn't read the book.
Just the spine. It's "guess what the story inside could be".
He is Fred Armisen
and I claim
a Seth Meyer reaction shot.
Unlike Mr Armisen, Lal is off-beat! :)

a.a #2310
a***@yahoo.com
My favorite book title is Pop 1280 by Jim Thompson. You know that is not a good thing.
a***@yahoo.com
Charles Willeford also had some great titles including The Shark Infested Custard and New Hope for the Dead.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-05-30 16:43:57 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Abhinav Lal
Writer & Investor
"Freedom is an illusion"
My favorite book title is Pop 1280 by Jim Thompson. You know that is not a good thing.
There are some awful books with great titles.
a***@yahoo.com
The book is not awful. But it did not want make want to live in a small town....
David DeLaney
2019-06-03 10:58:37 UTC
There are some awful books with great titles.
_Thank You For the Giant Sea Turtle_ is probably cheating.

Dave, mary ann madden we miss u
2019-06-01 04:16:07 UTC
On 31/05/19 2:55 AM, ***@yahoo.com wrote:
snip
Post by a***@yahoo.com
My favorite book title is Pop 1280 by Jim Thompson. You know that is not a good thing.
No. Why?
I have read the book but had forgotten the title which represents small
town USA with an evil scheming sheriff beyond the stereotype. It was all
right but I far prefer Elmore Leonard where the emphasis is on petty
crooks. I think Jim Thompson disapproves of the behaviour of his own
characters whereas Leonard lets his be themselves, (and I love his
writing style).
Moriarty
2019-05-30 21:45:11 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Instead of reviewing or analysing the contents of books, I am going to simply analyse book titles, without regard to the contents.
My favourite nonfiction book title is, "Necessary Illusions: thought control in democratic societies". It isn't enough for the government/powers to know what you are thinking, they also want to control what you are thinking.
One of my favourite SF book titles is, "The Forever War". A war is being constantly fought between those in power, and those who dare speak truth to power.
Please feel free to tell me your favourite book titles, along with your interpretation of its meaning.
"The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse"
"Nostradamus Ate My Hamster"

Both by Robert Rankin. The first is an accurate description of the book in that someone is indeed trying to bring about the apocalypse and leaves hollow chocolate bunnies as a calling card at murder scenes. The second title has less to do with the contents.

-Moriarty
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2019-05-30 21:52:10 UTC
Ass Goblins of Auschwitz

It's about what it sounds like it's about.

Lynn:

2019-05-30 21:56:39 UTC
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Ass Goblins of Auschwitz
It's about what it sounds like it's about.
Be careful. Ch*ck T*ngl* may be lurking, and will have it written
and on sale @ Bizarro Nozama by Friday norning.

Kevin R
Ninapenda Jibini
2019-05-31 02:45:09 UTC
On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 5:52:14 PM UTC-4, Jibini Kula
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Ass Goblins of Auschwitz
It's about what it sounds like it's about.
Be careful. Ch*ck T*ngl* may be lurking, and will have it
I'm not kidding.

https://www.amazon.com/Ass-Goblins-Auschwitz-Cameron-
Pierce/dp/1933929936/ref=sr_1_1?
keywords=ass+goblins+of+auschwitz&qid=1559270660&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://tinyurl.com/y2bu6uqw

Lynn:

2019-05-31 03:24:42 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 5:52:14 PM UTC-4, Jibini Kula
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Ass Goblins of Auschwitz
It's about what it sounds like it's about.
Be careful. Ch*ck T*ngl* may be lurking, and will have it
I'm not kidding.
https://www.amazon.com/Ass-Goblins-Auschwitz-Cameron-
Pierce/dp/1933929936/ref=sr_1_1?
keywords=ass+goblins+of+auschwitz&qid=1559270660&s=gateway&sr=8-1
https://tinyurl.com/y2bu6uqw
No, you weren't, were you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_fiction

Me will read many of these, and recommend ones
me hate to friends!

http://supermanica.superman.nu/index.php/Bizarro_Code

2019-05-31 08:54:41 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 5:52:14 PM UTC-4, Jibini Kula
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Ass Goblins of Auschwitz
It's about what it sounds like it's about.
Be careful. Ch*ck T*ngl* may be lurking, and will have it
I'm not kidding.
https://www.amazon.com/Ass-Goblins-Auschwitz-Cameron-
Pierce/dp/1933929936/ref=sr_1_1?
keywords=ass+goblins+of+auschwitz&qid=1559270660&s=gateway&sr=8-1
https://tinyurl.com/y2bu6uqw
No, you weren't, were you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_fiction
Me will read many of these, and recommend ones
me hate to friends!
http://supermanica.superman.nu/index.php/Bizarro_Code
Kevin R
In case you encounter _Gestapo Mars_, do not lose time
reading it.

<https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/12/28/lose-no-time/>
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2019-06-01 00:08:24 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 5:52:14 PM UTC-4, Jibini Kula
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Ass Goblins of Auschwitz
It's about what it sounds like it's about.
Be careful. Ch*ck T*ngl* may be lurking, and will have it
I'm not kidding.
https://www.amazon.com/Ass-Goblins-Auschwitz-Cameron-
Pierce/dp/1933929936/ref=sr_1_1?
keywords=ass+goblins+of+auschwitz&qid=1559270660&s=gateway&sr=8-
1
https://tinyurl.com/y2bu6uqw
No, you weren't, were you?
I never do. Ever.
Post by Kevrob
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarro_fiction
Me will read many of these, and recommend ones
me hate to friends!
http://supermanica.superman.nu/index.php/Bizarro_Code
That all aounds far, far better than Ass Goblins. But then, so does
a blank sheet of paper. That is on fire.

Lynn:

a***@yahoo.com
2019-06-03 11:50:21 UTC
Yesterday I read a short story called Gamer's End by Noon Ha Lee
The title, and the story itself, is a twist on Ender's Game. There musts be other examples like this, but none are coming to mind right now.
Jack Bohn
2019-06-03 12:34:42 UTC
Yesterday I read a short story called Gamer's End by Noon Ha Lee
 The title, and the story itself, is a twist on Ender's Game. There musts be other examples like this, but none are coming to mind right now.
A serial in ANALOG in the '80s involved the "Nightfall" world, and the idea that the eclipsing body (uh... spoilers) would be observable and known. The story of this cycle was called Dawn.

Gene Wolfe did it to himself with _The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories_, with different permutations of the words of the title.
-Jack
Peter Trei
2019-06-03 15:17:12 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Yesterday I read a short story called Gamer's End by Noon Ha Lee
The title, and the story itself, is a twist on Ender's Game. There musts be other examples like this, but none are coming to mind right now.
Cory Doctorow has done few stories which play off SF classics. The
titles are *usually* slightly mangled.

Anda's Game
I, Rowboat
The Man Who Sold the Moon
a***@yahoo.com
Anda's Game was in the same collection of stories about video games as Gamer's End. (Press Play to Start). I didn't even think about it.
Moriarty
2019-06-03 22:13:04 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Yesterday I read a short story called Gamer's End by Noon Ha Lee
The title, and the story itself, is a twist on Ender's Game. There musts be other examples like this, but none are coming to mind right now.
Robert Rankin does this a bit.

Raiders of the Lost Car Park
The Da-da-de-da-da Code
The Brentford Chainsaw Massacre
The Sprouts of Wrath
Waiting for Godalming
The Witches of Chiswick

They're all SF, of one degree or another, and probably worth reading. If you're into that sort of thing. Which you won't know until you've tried. And maybe not even then.

-Moriarty
Dimensional Traveler
2019-06-03 22:59:46 UTC
Post by Moriarty
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Yesterday I read a short story called Gamer's End by Noon Ha Lee
The title, and the story itself, is a twist on Ender's Game. There musts be other examples like this, but none are coming to mind right now.
Robert Rankin does this a bit.
Raiders of the Lost Car Park
The Da-da-de-da-da Code
The Brentford Chainsaw Massacre
The Sprouts of Wrath
Waiting for Godalming
The Witches of Chiswick
They're all SF, of one degree or another, and probably worth reading. If you're into that sort of thing. Which you won't know until you've tried. And maybe not even then.
I just read a short story/novella (a bit under 200 pages) titled
'Midnight in the Garden Centre of Good and Evil' by Colin Sinclair in a
collection titled 'Invaders from Beyond'.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2019-06-04 01:52:11 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Yesterday I read a short story called Gamer's End by Noon Ha Lee
The title, and the story itself, is a twist on Ender's Game. There musts be other examples like this, but none are coming to mind right now.
"Spiders of the Purple Mage" is one.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
Peter Trei
2019-06-04 02:53:30 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Yesterday I read a short story called Gamer's End by Noon Ha Lee
The title, and the story itself, is a twist on Ender's Game. There musts be other examples like this, but none are coming to mind right now.
"Spiders of the Purple Mage" is one.
Let's not forget PJF's "Riders of the Purple Wage"

2019-06-04 02:55:10 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Yesterday I read a short story called Gamer's End by Noon Ha Lee
The title, and the story itself, is a twist on Ender's Game. There
musts be other examples like this, but none are coming to mind right
now.
"Spiders of the Purple Mage" is one.
"Riders of the Purple Wage"
2019-06-04 05:08:09 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Yesterday I read a short story called Gamer's End by Noon Ha Lee
The title, and the story itself, is a twist on Ender's Game. There musts
be other examples like this, but none are coming to mind right now.
"Spiders of the Purple Mage" is one.
What about the stories in Gene Wolfe's _The Wolfe Archipelago_?

"The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories"
"Death of the Island Doctor"
"The Death of Dr. Island"
"The Doctor of Death Island"
William Hyde
2019-06-04 19:47:53 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Yesterday I read a short story called Gamer's End by Noon Ha Lee
The title, and the story itself, is a twist on Ender's Game. There musts be other examples like this, but none are coming to mind right now.
"Spiders of the Purple Mage" is one.
Also by the same author "Riders of the Purple Wage".

Featuring, though not as a title "Winnegan's Fake".

William Hyde
Kevrob
2019-06-05 15:59:34 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Yesterday I read a short story called Gamer's End by Noon Ha Lee
The title, and the story itself, is a twist on Ender's Game. There musts be other examples like this, but none are coming to mind right now.
"Spiders of the Purple Mage" is one.
And Farmer's "Riders of the Purple Wage" was a play on
a Zane Grey novel.