086 Challenges of the Deeps (Grand Central Arena Book 3) by Ryk E. Spoor
2020-03-21 20:08:40 UTC
086 Challenges of the Deeps (Grand Central Arena Book 3) by Ryk E. Spoor

The latest Grand Central Arena book sees the Faction of Humanity
(us) dealing with the fallout of having made powerful enemies in
the previous book. It helps to make powerful friends and to be
lucky. Or how much really is "luck"? We find out some things in
this installment about how the Arena views Hyperions (we've had
hints before) and how maybe Humans (or Humanoids?) relate to the
history of the Arena. I'm a little concerned about how close to
being a god Sandrisson is becoming -- that rarely works out well.
I suspect given the hint dropped in book 1 together with the events
established here that that useless Space Math DuQuesne can do in
his head will become less useless next outing.

I do feel I miss a little bit when what are obviously references
are made to works I haven't read or seen and thus can't identify.
On the other hand I know who Terry Austin is, which I'm guessing
most readers won't.
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2020-03-22 13:53:46 UTC
086 Challenges of the Deeps (Grand Central Arena Book 3) by Ryk E. Spoor
The latest Grand Central Arena book sees the Faction of Humanity
(us) dealing with the fallout of having made powerful enemies in
the previous book. It helps to make powerful friends and to be
lucky. Or how much really is "luck"? We find out some things in
this installment about how the Arena views Hyperions (we've had
hints before) and how maybe Humans (or Humanoids?) relate to the
history of the Arena. I'm a little concerned about how close to
being a god Sandrisson is becoming -- that rarely works out well.
Sandrisson's not unconcerned about it either ("terrified" would be a
better term), but at least his power doesn't come with the ability to
physically beat down anyone who argues with him, unlike the typical
"becoming a god" thing. Vindatri is probably the single most powerful
being we've yet encountered in the Arenaverse.
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
I suspect given the hint dropped in book 1 together with the events
established here that that useless Space Math DuQuesne can do in
his head will become less useless next outing.
I do feel I miss a little bit when what are obviously references
are made to works I haven't read or seen and thus can't identify.
On the other hand I know who Terry Austin is, which I'm guessing
most readers won't.
Terry's appearance was bought and paid for. :) He supported the
_Polychrome_ Kickstarter at a high level, which included a
tuckerization. He requested he be lynched by an angry alien mob. :)
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
J. Clarke
That explains much.
Lynn McGuire
2020-03-22 22:46:28 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
I suspect given the hint dropped in book 1 together with the events
established here that that useless Space Math DuQuesne can do in
his head will become less useless next outing.
I do feel I miss a little bit when what are obviously references
are made to works I haven't read or seen and thus can't identify.
On the other hand I know who Terry Austin is, which I'm guessing
most readers won't.
    Terry's appearance was bought and paid for. :) He supported the
_Polychrome_ Kickstarter at a high level, which included a
tuckerization. He requested he be lynched by an angry alien mob. :)
That is cool. This book is still in my SBR.

2020-03-23 01:33:11 UTC
snip
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
I do feel I miss a little bit when what are obviously references
are made to works I haven't read or seen and thus can't identify.
On the other hand I know who Terry Austin is, which I'm guessing
most readers won't.
    Terry's appearance was bought and paid for. :) He supported the
_Polychrome_ Kickstarter at a high level, which included a
tuckerization. He requested he be lynched by an angry alien mob. :)
If I recall correctly, the body was not recovered and rasfw discussed
the possibility that he might reappear in a later book to be tormented
in horrendous ways.
No one suggested a cook book.
By a baker?