Need a list of science fiction cuss words.
charles ramsey
2004-09-22 22:32:58 UTC
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the
air.
Dorothy J Heydt
2004-09-22 22:59:14 UTC
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the
air.
Well, there's always "gates." From _The Plutonium Blonde_ IIRC.

However, I doubt many of us have the opportunity to talk on the
air, even if we keep it clean. There are a few ham amateurs
among us, I believe, but I don't know if that counts for what you
want to do.

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
***@kithrup.com
Gerry Quinn
2004-09-22 23:47:57 UTC
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the
air.
"Your fnorg reminds me of a gisbet!"

"WHAT! DIE, YOU SICK PERVERT!"

- Gerry Quinn
Wayne Throop
2004-09-23 00:04:05 UTC
:: You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
:: than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
:: list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the air.

: "Your fnorg reminds me of a gisbet!"
: "WHAT! DIE, YOU SICK PERVERT!"

You are *such* a klorbag vorganelk.

Wayne Throop ***@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw
David Allsopp
2004-09-23 21:35:03 UTC
In article <***@sheol.org>, Wayne Throop <***@sheol.org>
writes
Post by Wayne Throop
:: You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
:: than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
:: list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the air.
: "Your fnorg reminds me of a gisbet!"
: "WHAT! DIE, YOU SICK PERVERT!"
You are *such* a klorbag vorganelk.
Belgium, man, belgium.
--
David Allsopp Houston, Tranquillity Base here.
Remove SPAM to email me The Eagle has landed.
Dorothy J Heydt
2004-09-24 08:25:34 UTC
Post by David Allsopp
writes
Post by Wayne Throop
:: You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
:: than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
:: list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the air.
: "Your fnorg reminds me of a gisbet!"
: "WHAT! DIE, YOU SICK PERVERT!"
You are *such* a klorbag vorganelk.
Belgium, man, belgium.
"Fool! Don't you realize I could crush your world like a snoob
fruit?"

"Our world IS a snoob fruit."

Oh, I just remembered. "Vodran!" "Kwopil!" (Describing the other
as having such revolting sexual practices as to make you want to
kill him on sight. He thinks the same about yours.)

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
***@kithrup.com
Danny Sichel
2004-09-24 11:46:24 UTC
"Fool! Don't you realize I could crush your world like a snoob
fruit?"
"Our world IS a snoob fruit."
"Those plump thorps of yours really bring out the sway of your tail."
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Oh, I just remembered. "Vodran!" "Kwopil!" (Describing the other
as having such revolting sexual practices as to make you want to
kill him on sight. He thinks the same about yours.)
Hm. If this is from the Turtledove fixup about the SF teacher, then it's
"on scent", not "on sight" (which is why there was no attack until the
wind shifted).

In one of the "Isaac's Universe" stories, there was a Crotoni obscenity
which turned out to mean "adherent of (illegal religion X)".
Dorothy J Heydt
2004-09-24 17:14:18 UTC
Post by Danny Sichel
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
"Fool! Don't you realize I could crush your world like a snoob
fruit?"
"Our world IS a snoob fruit."
"Those plump thorps of yours really bring out the sway of your tail."
Damn right they do.
Post by Danny Sichel
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Oh, I just remembered. "Vodran!" "Kwopil!" (Describing the other
as having such revolting sexual practices as to make you want to
kill him on sight. He thinks the same about yours.)
Hm. If this is from the Turtledove fixup about the SF teacher, then it's
"on scent", not "on sight" (which is why there was no attack until the
wind shifted).
You are correct. I was translating metaphors.

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
***@kithrup.com
Danny Sichel
2004-09-24 11:39:04 UTC
Post by David Allsopp
Post by Wayne Throop
You are *such* a klorbag vorganelk.
Belgium, man, belgium.
Heh - my girlfriend is *from* Belgium. She tells me that particular line
was excised from the Dutch translation of Hitchhiker's.
Petrazickis
2004-09-25 05:05:59 UTC
Post by Danny Sichel
Post by David Allsopp
Post by Wayne Throop
You are *such* a klorbag vorganelk.
Belgium, man, belgium.
Heh - my girlfriend is *from* Belgium. She tells me that particular line
was excised from the Dutch translation of Hitchhiker's.
And from the British translation as well. Actually, it's only found in a
specific American edition.;)
--
Leons Petrazickis
import java.lang.Disclaimer;
http://slashdot.org/~LPetrazickis/journal/
David Allsopp
2004-09-27 08:05:47 UTC
Post by Petrazickis
Post by Danny Sichel
Post by David Allsopp
Post by Wayne Throop
You are *such* a klorbag vorganelk.
Belgium, man, belgium.
Heh - my girlfriend is *from* Belgium. She tells me that particular
line was excised from the Dutch translation of Hitchhiker's.
And from the British translation as well. Actually, it's only found in
a specific American edition.;)
In the first episode of the new HHGttG last week, one of the first
things Ford says to Arthur is something like "What the belgium are you
doing?"

You still have a chance to hear this on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4 --
look for the "listen again" links. It's 9am 27th Sep here: the first
episode will be on for the rest of today.
Mark Blunden
2004-09-24 12:25:30 UTC
Post by David Allsopp
writes
Post by Wayne Throop
Post by Gerry Quinn
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to
do than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's
make a list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them
on the air.
"Your fnorg reminds me of a gisbet!"
"WHAT! DIE, YOU SICK PERVERT!"
You are *such* a klorbag vorganelk.
Belgium, man, belgium.
"I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle"
Mark.
Joe Mason
2004-09-24 15:29:32 UTC
Post by Mark Blunden
Post by David Allsopp
writes
Post by Wayne Throop
Post by Gerry Quinn
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to
do than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's
make a list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them
on the air.
"Your fnorg reminds me of a gisbet!"
"WHAT! DIE, YOU SICK PERVERT!"
You are *such* a klorbag vorganelk.
Belgium, man, belgium.
"I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle"
Grr, beat me to it (and, I suspect, got the quote right to boot).

Joe
Mark Blunden
2004-09-24 17:34:43 UTC
On 2004-09-24, Mark Blunden
Post by Mark Blunden
Post by David Allsopp
writes
Post by Wayne Throop
Post by Gerry Quinn
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to
do than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's
make a list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them
on the air.
"Your fnorg reminds me of a gisbet!"
"WHAT! DIE, YOU SICK PERVERT!"
You are *such* a klorbag vorganelk.
Belgium, man, belgium.
"I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle"
Grr, beat me to it (and, I suspect, got the quote right to boot).
Don't think that's a reflection on my memory - I had to Google it myself.
Mark.
Joe Mason
2004-09-24 19:40:40 UTC
On 2004-09-24, Mark Blunden
Post by Mark Blunden
Post by David Allsopp
writes
Post by Wayne Throop
Post by Gerry Quinn
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to
do than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's
make a list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them
on the air.
"Your fnorg reminds me of a gisbet!"
"WHAT! DIE, YOU SICK PERVERT!"
You are *such* a klorbag vorganelk.
Belgium, man, belgium.
"I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle"
Grr, beat me to it (and, I suspect, got the quote right to boot).
Don't think that's a reflection on my memory - I had to Google it myself.
I googled as well, but made the mistake of searching for "I seem to be having"
"problem with my lifestyle", so all I got were other people's misquotes.

Joe
Joe Mason
2004-09-24 15:28:45 UTC
Post by David Allsopp
writes
Post by Wayne Throop
:: You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
:: than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
:: list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the air.
: "Your fnorg reminds me of a gisbet!"
: "WHAT! DIE, YOU SICK PERVERT!"
You are *such* a klorbag vorganelk.
Belgium, man, belgium.
"I seem to be having a terrible problem with my lifestyle."

Joe
Mike Van Pelt
2004-09-23 01:14:04 UTC
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing
to do than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So
let's make a list of cuss words that are in science fiction and
say them on the air.
I like what Niven did - "tanj" (There Ain't No Justice) is good.
It was an especially poetic touch that in Niven's stories, when
a character says "censored" or "censor", he's not using it as a
euphemism for worse words - "Censor" *is* the worse word, not
used in polite company.

There's always E. E. "Doc" Smith's "srizonified", billed
as "The Worst Of All Bad Words" in "The Vortext Blasters."
--
Yes, I am the last man to have walked on the moon, | Mike Van Pelt
and that's a very dubious and disappointing honor. | mvp.at.calweb.com
It's been far too long. -- Gene Cernan | KE6BVH
Kevin G. Rhoads
2004-09-24 16:01:24 UTC
Holy Klono's gadolinium guts! I can't believe you said that!
Daniel Silevitch
2004-09-24 16:57:52 UTC
Post by Kevin G. Rhoads
Post by Mike Van Pelt
There's always E. E. "Doc" Smith's "srizonified", billed
as "The Worst Of All Bad Words" in "The Vortext Blasters."
Holy Klono's gadolinium guts! I can't believe you said that!
It just goes to show that he has all the intellect of a Zabriskan
fontema [sp?].

-dms
William George Ferguson
2004-09-25 04:40:27 UTC
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:01:24 +0000, "Kevin G. Rhoads"
Post by Kevin G. Rhoads
Post by Mike Van Pelt
There's always E. E. "Doc" Smith's "srizonified", billed
as "The Worst Of All Bad Words" in "The Vortext Blasters."
Holy Klono's gadolinium guts! I can't believe you said that!
Well, its only the Worst of All Bad Words in one specific planetary
language (and translates into Standard as something like 'stinky')

Now what's the one that gets the Leewit's mouth washed out with soap?
--
"Who needs the big picture? Not me! Hints are fine."
-Joan Girardi
(after God showed her just a little of his omnipresent brain)
anxious triffid
2004-09-23 04:57:12 UTC
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
than ban certain words from being said on the radio.
You would think that people would have grown out of using homosexual slurs
like 'poofters' as insults by the time they learn how to post on Usenet,
but apparently not.
Spider Jerusalem
2004-09-23 17:45:21 UTC
Post by anxious triffid
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
than ban certain words from being said on the radio.
You would think that people would have grown out of using homosexual
slurs like 'poofters' as insults by the time they learn how to post on
Usenet, but apparently not.
Yeah, I know. Sad, isn't it?

Ah well, another one for the killfile...
Anne M. Marble
2004-09-23 05:18:53 UTC
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the
air.
How about "vulking" from C. S. Friedman's Coldfire trilogy? That one even
sounds bad. :-)

You might want to read some of the posts in this infamous mega-thread on
"Silly Cussing in Fantasy & SF." Not all the suggestions are silly, so you
might find something usable.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&th=c4f
ea30f956d869a&as_drrb=b&as_maxd=23&as_maxm=4&as_maxy=2000&as_mind=29&as_min
m=3&as_miny=1995

The tinyurl link is:
http://tinyurl.com/5jya9

You can see it in the framed version here (although you'll have to scroll
up to reach the top):
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&thread
m=FtHDMq.EM6%40world.std.com&prev=/&as_drrb=b&as_maxd=23&as_maxm=4&as_maxy=
2000&as_mind=29&as_minm=3&as_miny=1995

or

http://tinyurl.com/488wo

BTW there is a follow-up thread here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&thread
m=1025564194.399444%40yasure&rnum=1&prev=/&frame=on

------
Forward Motion Writing Site - http://fmwriters.com/community
My Blog: http://gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
My column: http://www.writing-world.com/columns/romance/current.shtml
Coby
"Love the virtue, hate the virtuous." - Fran Lebowitz
Jens Kilian
2004-09-23 16:39:35 UTC
"Belgium."

(MUST REMEMBER to catch the re-run of the new HHGG tonight on BBC 4...)
Steve Brooks
2004-09-23 16:55:13 UTC
Post by Jens Kilian
"Belgium."
(MUST REMEMBER to catch the re-run of the new HHGG tonight on BBC 4...)
For those outside radio 4's footprint the first episode will be available
on-line after the repeat broadcast (11.30 pm tonight , UK time ).

Go to

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/index.shtml

and click 'Listen Again'.
SB
James A. Wolf
2004-09-23 17:33:14 UTC
Frell you, you dren-eating smeg-head!
--
<*> James A. Wolf - ***@comcast.net <*>

"The jawbone of an ass is | "We have learned that terrorist attacks are not
just as dangerous a weapon| caused by the use of strength; they are invited
today as in Samson's time | by the perception of weakness."
Richard M. Nixon | George W. Bush
Peter H. Granzeau
2004-09-23 19:33:15 UTC
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the
air.
I read very recently of a case where an SF author used "F*cking" in a
ms., his editor told him to take it out, and he replaced it with
"felching" (which made it into publication).
Glenn Dowdy
2004-09-23 19:47:32 UTC
Post by Peter H. Granzeau
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the
air.
I read very recently of a case where an SF author used "F*cking" in a
ms., his editor told him to take it out, and he replaced it with
"felching" (which made it into publication).
Obviously SF here didn't mean San Francisco, at least as far as the editor
was concerned.

Glenn D.
John H
2004-09-24 06:51:14 UTC
Post by Glenn Dowdy
Post by Peter H. Granzeau
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the
air.
I read very recently of a case where an SF author used "F*cking" in a
ms., his editor told him to take it out, and he replaced it with
"felching" (which made it into publication).
Obviously SF here didn't mean San Francisco, at least as far as the editor
was concerned.
"hey wipe your chin. you got a little summin' summin' there."

john
Michael S. Schiffer
2004-09-23 20:37:10 UTC
Post by Peter H. Granzeau
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing
to do than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So
let's make a list of cuss words that are in science fiction and
say them on the air.
I read very recently of a case where an SF author used "F*cking"
in a ms., his editor told him to take it out, and he replaced it
with "felching" (which made it into publication).
Unless there's a more recent similar incident, that sounds like
what's reported to have happened with Neil Gaiman's 1990 comics
miniseries "The Books of Magic". From the annotations, "Gaiman
originally wanted Constantine simply to say, "Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.
Shit.", but Karen Berger vetoed the dialogue. So he included
"felching heck" just to see if it would get past her." (It did, and
lots of us comics readers learned a new word.)

Mike
--
Michael S. Schiffer, LHN, FCS
***@condor.depaul.edu
John M. Gamble
2004-09-23 20:55:50 UTC
Post by Michael S. Schiffer
Post by Peter H. Granzeau
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing
to do than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So
let's make a list of cuss words that are in science fiction and
say them on the air.
I read very recently of a case where an SF author used "F*cking"
in a ms., his editor told him to take it out, and he replaced it
with "felching" (which made it into publication).
Unless there's a more recent similar incident, that sounds like
what's reported to have happened with Neil Gaiman's 1990 comics
miniseries "The Books of Magic". From the annotations, "Gaiman
originally wanted Constantine simply to say, "Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.
Shit.", but Karen Berger vetoed the dialogue. So he included
"felching heck" just to see if it would get past her." (It did, and
lots of us comics readers learned a new word.)
Hmm, i heard that Gaiman had heard that word in a generic sense
(i.e., word said with vehemence while one is very angry), didn't
know what it meant, and used it.

Then he found out.

Google will probably find an explanatory thread on
rec.arts.comics.vertigo.
--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.
Michael S. Schiffer
2004-09-23 21:06:05 UTC
Post by John M. Gamble
Post by Michael S. Schiffer
Post by Peter H. Granzeau
Post by charles ramsey
[...]
That's plausible enough. Of course that might also be what I'd tell
my editor, if I wanted to maintain a good relationship with her
after tricking her into printing an exotic obscenity, so it's hard
to judge. :-)

Mike
--
Michael S. Schiffer, LHN, FCS
***@condor.depaul.edu
David Goldfarb
2004-09-23 23:29:37 UTC
Post by John M. Gamble
Hmm, i heard that Gaiman had heard that word in a generic sense
(i.e., word said with vehemence while one is very angry), didn't
know what it meant, and used it.
Then he found out.
Stuff I've heard from Gaiman himself suggests that he knew perfectly
well what it meant, and slipped it in to see if it would get past
Karen Berger.
--
David Goldfarb <*>|"Given enough time and the right audience,
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | the darkest of secrets scum over into
John H
2004-09-24 06:57:21 UTC
Post by Michael S. Schiffer
Post by Peter H. Granzeau
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing
to do than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So
let's make a list of cuss words that are in science fiction and
say them on the air.
I read very recently of a case where an SF author used "F*cking"
in a ms., his editor told him to take it out, and he replaced it
with "felching" (which made it into publication).
Unless there's a more recent similar incident, that sounds like
what's reported to have happened with Neil Gaiman's 1990 comics
miniseries "The Books of Magic". From the annotations, "Gaiman
originally wanted Constantine simply to say, "Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.
Shit.", but Karen Berger vetoed the dialogue. So he included
"felching heck" just to see if it would get past her." (It did, and
lots of us comics readers learned a new word.)
http://www.port88.freeserve.co.uk/drive-by.htm

You use a straw for that sort of thing?

John *boggled*
Mark Atwood
2004-09-23 21:28:31 UTC
Post by Peter H. Granzeau
I read very recently of a case where an SF author used "F*cking" in a
ms., his editor told him to take it out, and he replaced it with
"felching" (which made it into publication).
That would be "Books of Magic" by DC Vertigo.

John Constantine says "fucking hell", and the editors veto it, so the
writer substitutes "fletching heck".
--
Mark Atwood | When you do things right, people won't be sure
***@pobox.com | you've done anything at all.
http://www.pobox.com/~mra | http://www.livejournal.com/users/fallenpegasus
Medievalbk
2004-09-24 04:12:28 UTC
It's always bowb-your -buddy week.
charles ramsey
2004-09-24 21:19:01 UTC
Thanks everyone Niven's censor as a cuss word has to be my favorite.
Be sure to see ringworld it will be the greatist movie ever made.
John M. Gamble
2004-09-25 19:55:19 UTC
Post by charles ramsey
Thanks everyone Niven's censor as a cuss word has to be my favorite.
Be sure to see ringworld it will be the greatist movie ever made.
I think my favorite non-swearing swear moment was in *A Gift From
Earth*.

"Harry Kane used a word your publisher will cut."

Just struck me as well-phrased for some reason.

Michael Stemper
2004-09-24 16:36:51 UTC
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
list of cuss words that are in science fiction
Klono's curving carballoy teeth and brazen bulging balls!

Also, wasn't "bleeder" (for hemophiliac) a swearword in _Stand on Zanzibar_?
Or was it "breeder" (for somebody who had two or more children)? Oh yeah,
there was something about "dreck", short for "whale dreck" being naughty,
due to collective guilt about the extinction of the whales. I think.
--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>
Life's too important to take seriously.
Jens Kilian
2004-09-24 18:34:16 UTC
*Claws*! Curving carballoy *claws*!
Michael Stemper
2004-09-24 19:07:03 UTC
Post by Jens Kilian
Post by Michael Stemper
Klono's curving carballoy teeth and brazen bulging balls!
*Claws*! Curving carballoy *claws*!
I must have been posting from a zone of compulsion.
William George Ferguson
2004-09-25 04:32:07 UTC
Post by Jens Kilian
Post by Michael Stemper
Klono's curving carballoy teeth and brazen bulging balls!
*Claws*! Curving carballoy *claws*!
As Kimball Kinnison points out in a conversation with Chris McDougall,
Klono has enough teeth, claws, tails, eyes, and horns that you can swear
by all sorts of body parts (although I'm fair certain brazen bulging balls
were never actually mentioned).
Danny Sichel
Scintillating scandium scrotum? Pulsating platinum perineum?
Bill Snyder
2004-09-25 23:56:29 UTC
Post by Jens Kilian
Post by Michael Stemper
Klono's curving carballoy teeth and brazen bulging balls!
*Claws*! Curving carballoy *claws*!
As Kimball Kinnison points out in a conversation with Chris McDougall,
Klono has enough teeth, claws, tails, eyes, and horns that you can swear
by all sorts of body parts (although I'm fair certain brazen bulging balls
were never actually mentioned).
Scintillating scandium scrotum? Pulsating platinum perineum?
I favor "toroidal titanium testicles" myself. What's the point of
having a god who's normally endowed?
Bill Snyder [This space unintentionally left blank.]
David M. Palmer
2004-09-26 03:40:34 UTC
Post by Jens Kilian
Post by Michael Stemper
Klono's curving carballoy teeth and brazen bulging balls!
*Claws*! Curving carballoy *claws*!
As Kimball Kinnison points out in a conversation with Chris McDougall,
Klono has enough teeth, claws, tails, eyes, and horns that you can swear
by all sorts of body parts (although I'm fair certain brazen bulging balls
were never actually mentioned).
Scintillating scandium scrotum? Pulsating platinum perineum?
I favor "toroidal titanium testicles" myself. What's the point of
having a god who's normally endowed?
By the Pancreator's pancreas!
David M. Palmer ***@email.com (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)
David Cowie
2004-09-26 18:34:20 UTC
Post by Bill Snyder
I favor "toroidal titanium testicles" myself. What's the point of
having a god who's normally endowed?
By Klono's TOWERING TUNGSTEN TODGER!
--
David Cowie david_cowie at line one dot net

Containment Failure + 7609:59
Wayne Throop
2004-09-26 19:08:51 UTC
:: I favor "toroidal titanium testicles" myself. What's the point of
:: having a god who's normally endowed?

: By Klono's TOWERING TUNGSTEN TODGER!

Is it necessarily metal? Strong and/or macho and/or exotic
synthetics or composites seem to have potential. By Klono's

fiberglass fibula
aerogel adenoids
aramid ankles
kevlar clavicle
buckytube bellybutton
carbon composite cuticles
goretex gallbladder
teflon trachea

Wayne Throop ***@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw
Danny Sichel
2004-09-26 19:34:22 UTC
Post by Wayne Throop
:: I favor "toroidal titanium testicles" myself. What's the point of
:: having a god who's normally endowed?
: By Klono's TOWERING TUNGSTEN TODGER!
Is it necessarily metal? Strong and/or macho and/or exotic
synthetics or composites seem to have potential. By Klono's
Interesting, but you've neglected the superlative. *Awesome* aerogel
adenoids, *great* goretex gallbladder, *terrifying* teflon trachea, etc.
Post by Wayne Throop
fiberglass fibula
aerogel adenoids
aramid ankles
kevlar clavicle
buckytube bellybutton
carbon composite cuticles
goretex gallbladder
teflon trachea
By Klono's awesome aluminum anus!
Jens Kilian
2004-09-25 18:43:49 UTC
Post by Jens Kilian
Post by Michael Stemper
Klono's curving carballoy teeth and brazen bulging balls!
*Claws*! Curving carballoy *claws*!
As Kimball Kinnison points out in a conversation with Chris McDougall,
Klono has enough teeth, claws, tails, eyes, and horns that you can swear
by all sorts of body parts (although I'm fair certain brazen bulging balls
were never actually mentioned).
Yes, but "teeth" destroys the alliteration.
--
mailto:***@acm.org As the air to a bird, or the sea to a fish,
http://www.bawue.de/~jjk/ so is contempt to the contemptible. [Blake]
Michael Stemper
2004-09-27 17:18:27 UTC
Post by Jens Kilian
Post by Michael Stemper
Klono's curving carballoy teeth and brazen bulging balls!
*Claws*! Curving carballoy *claws*!
As Kimball Kinnison points out in a conversation with Chris McDougall,
Klono has enough teeth, claws, tails, eyes, and horns that you can swear
by all sorts of body parts
Yes, he did say that. However, Jens is still correct. Swearing by Klono, if
done properly, *must* be alliterative. I'd planned on saying "claws", but
somehow mis-typed it or something. I'm guessing that it was mental influence,
as I also felt the sudden urge to set up an integral.
Post by William George Ferguson
(although I'm fair certain brazen bulging balls
were never actually mentioned).
Certainly not.
Always use apostrophe's and "quotation marks" properly.
Gerry Quinn
2004-09-25 20:03:51 UTC
Post by Michael Stemper
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
list of cuss words that are in science fiction
Klono's curving carballoy teeth and brazen bulging balls!
Also, wasn't "bleeder" (for hemophiliac) a swearword in _Stand on Zanzibar_?
Or was it "breeder" (for somebody who had two or more children)? Oh yeah,
there was something about "dreck", short for "whale dreck" being naughty,
due to collective guilt about the extinction of the whales. I think.
In that vein also was "sport" (meaning mutant) in _Dinner at Deviant's
Palace" by K.W.Jeter.

- Gerry Quinn
Carol Hague
2004-10-01 15:11:32 UTC
Post by Gerry Quinn
Post by Michael Stemper
Also, wasn't "bleeder" (for hemophiliac) a swearword in _Stand on Zanzibar_?
Or was it "breeder" (for somebody who had two or more children)? Oh yeah,
there was something about "dreck", short for "whale dreck" being naughty,
due to collective guilt about the extinction of the whales. I think.
In that vein also was "sport" (meaning mutant) in _Dinner at Deviant's
Palace" by K.W.Jeter.
You're quite right about the word, but the author is Tim Powers.

I remember reading a review of the book when it came out, in which the
reviewer said that he didn't see why "sport" was an insult. I was quite
surprised that someone who reviewed sf books for a living didn't get
that...
--
Carol
"I was just being a little teapot. It's a bad habit of mine"
- Wyvern, Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased).
David Cowie
2004-09-24 21:47:58 UTC
Post by charles ramsey
list of cuss words that are in science fiction
from _Norstrilia_ by Cordwainer Smith:
"How do you know so mucking much?" said Bill, speaking up. "And why waste
our time with all this crutting glubb?"
"Watch your language, man," said John Fisher. "There are some mucking
ladies present."

from _The Man With Absolute Motion_ by Silas Water:
"You make me ill!" Volmik said harshly and uttered the most insulting
statement known to Alphirkians: "You make my guts tired."
--
David Cowie david_cowie at line one dot net

Containment Failure + 7565:04
Carol Hague
2004-10-01 15:13:26 UTC
Post by David Cowie
Post by charles ramsey
list of cuss words that are in science fiction
"How do you know so mucking much?" said Bill, speaking up. "And why waste
our time with all this crutting glubb?"
"Watch your language, man," said John Fisher. "There are some mucking
ladies present."
"You make me ill!" Volmik said harshly and uttered the most insulting
statement known to Alphirkians: "You make my guts tired."
_Ghastly Beyond Belief_ by Neil Gaiman and Kim Newman ?

Wonderful book that :-)
mike stone
2004-10-01 19:23:27 UTC
Post by charles ramsey
list of cuss words that are in science fiction
Pohland Kornbluth's _Wolfbane_ had some unusual ones, notably "flatbelly"- if
your stomach wasn't bloated with hunger it implied you'd been taking more than
your share of the food. Others were "armwaver", "shouter" and "strider", all
implying you were more assertive/aggressive than a well bred citizen should be

The hero of Eric Frank Russell's _Next of Kin_ makes up some cusswords, notably
"Quilpole" and "Enk" though we aeren't told what they are supposed to mean. His
alien captors call him a "faplap"

In _Wasp_ the Sirians call Terrans "Spakum" meaning a bedbug. Terrans return
the compliment by calling them "blowfly" in allusion to their purple backsides.
Earlier in the book, we are told that Mowry has spent part of a rough voyage
"making up new cuss words" but we are never told what they are
--
Mike Stone - Peterborough England

Blairism Baffles Brains
w***@godzilla.acpub.duke.edu
2004-10-01 19:57:35 UTC
Post by mike stone
Post by charles ramsey
list of cuss words that are in science fiction
Pohland Kornbluth's _Wolfbane_ had some unusual ones, notably "flatbelly"- if
your stomach wasn't bloated with hunger it implied you'd been taking more than
your share of the food. Others were "armwaver", "shouter" and "strider", all
implying you were more assertive/aggressive than a well bred citizen should be
From an episode of "The Prisoner", "unmutual".

Preferably chanted by a crowd, "UNmutual, UNmutual, UNmutual".

William Hyde
EOS Department
Duke University
Robert Sneddon
2004-10-02 20:44:22 UTC
Post by mike stone
The hero of Eric Frank Russell's _Next of Kin_ makes up some cusswords, notably
"Quilpole" and "Enk" though we aeren't told what they are supposed to mean. His
alien captors call him a "faplap"
Actually Pilot Officer Leeming makes up the word "faplap" to describe
his alien captors during a long boring trip to the prison camp he is
sent to.
--
Email me via nojay (at) nojay (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk
This address no longer accepts HTML posts.

Robert Sneddon
David Cowie
2004-10-01 19:27:54 UTC
Post by Carol Hague
_Ghastly Beyond Belief_ by Neil Gaiman and Kim Newman ?
Wonderful book that :-)
Yes, and yes.
--
David Cowie david_cowie at line one dot net

Containment Failure + 7730:53
David Goldfarb
2004-09-25 00:33:53 UTC
Tanith Lee's duo _Don't Bite the Sun_ and _Drinking Sapphire Wine_
had a whole bunch of cuss words. There was a glossary of them at
the start. I can recall "farathoom", which was "bloody, fucking hell"
and "v----n", which was, "not specified -- obviously pretty bad."
It got spelled out in the second book as "vixaxn". There were a
couple of other, milder ones.
--
David Goldfarb <*>|"THEY ZONKED ME WITH ELECTRONIC SHOCK WAVES,
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | I TELL YOU!!!"
***@csua.berkeley.edu | -- _Prez_ #2
Vadim S Kaplunovsky
2004-09-25 05:35:09 UTC
Post by charles ramsey
You would think the poofters in the fcc would have better thing to do
than ban certain words from being said on the radio. So let's make a
list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the
air.
Strugatski brothers (in "Obitayemiy Ostrov" AKA "Inhabited Island" AKA
"Prisoners of Power") gave us "massaraksh!", sometimes doubled up as
"massaraksh & massaraksh!" or even "33 times massaraksh!".

--Vadim.
Vadim S. Kaplunovsky, | ***@physics.utexas.edu
Professor of Physics, | #include <std_disclaimer.h>
University of Texas at Austin. | #excuse bad_typing.
Matt Hughes
2004-09-27 05:38:03 UTC
Post by charles ramsey
So let's make a
list of cuss words that are in science fiction and say them on the
air.
Fibble off!

in Eric Frank Russell's "Plus X."

Matt Hughes

You can read the first chapter of Black Brillion at:
http://www.archonate.com/black-brillion

Or the first review at:
http://home.golden.net/~csp/cd/reviews/blackbrillion.htm