Uncharted - Anderson and Hoyt
Andrew McDowell
2021-02-27 13:32:50 UTC
This is the Lewis and Clark expedition in Arcane America. The point of departure for this timeline is something to do with Halley's Comet in 1759. America is cut off from Europe and magic works there.

I liked the idea of following a version of the Lewis and Clark expedition, and it gives structure and pacing to the book. The most interesting ideas are lifted from the real life expedition - like the Girardoni rifle, which sounds like a typical Baen flourish, but really was used in the expedition. If you take away the expedition, the book is less impressive - none of the characters seem to have any particularly bright ideas, and there isn't much world-building beyond reference to Native American mythology, such as Coyote. So I don't regret buying and reading the book, but I'm not sold on the Arcane America series.

It is possible that other authors writing in the series would have been more to my taste - I tend to find Kevin J Anderson unimpressive. There is a sort of Easter Egg - a drinking song brings in echoes of our timeline, which appears utopian to this one - this looks like a Hoyt touch to me.
Dorothy J Heydt
2021-02-27 15:37:47 UTC
Post by Andrew McDowell
[...]
In Patricia Wrede's Frontier Magic trilogy, there is so much
magic in the western hemisphere* that no one has ever been able
to reach the Rocky Mountains, and Lewis and Clark never made it
back to report.

_____
*In the eastern hemisphere too, but people have had longer to
beat it back.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/