RI October 2019
2019-12-01 22:50:58 UTC
Still behind on these!

====
A Study in Seduction (Moriarty's Men Book 1)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/2XbG14J

The Temptation of Four (Moriarty's Men Book 2)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/32QmMyZ

The Hounds of Devotion (Moriarty's Men Book 3)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/2plgrOc

The Valley of Flames (Moriarty's Men Book 4)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/33KA54Z

Here's an elevator pitch for you: Suppose Sherlock Holmes and his cast were
young men alive today. And suppose Moriarty were a beautiful woman...

The High Concept practically sells itself, and, yes I had to check it out.
It works, not perfectly, but surprisingly well.

Jemma Moriarty was raised in a brutal cult, which perhaps accounts for her
general lack of regard for conventional sexual mores and for the law.
Having broken free, she has amassed a criminal empire to fund her war on
the cult, and to avenge her sister.

Now, a piece of the puzzle she needs to proceed lies in London, and to get
it, she is going to have to run a con on three of the city's sharpest
denizens: Sherlock Holmes, John Watson & Garret LeStrade. Not the easiest
task, but her advantages are that she is beautiful, unscrupulous, and
ostensibly presenting the trio with an intriguing crime to unravel. And,
only she knows that they are living in an Urban Fantasy world...

I think I can see some of the gears whirling in Chase's mind when
setting this up. For instance, how can she present Moriarty as an
amoral criminal mastermind who has lovers all over the world and
still have us root for her? Well, hasn't that been done before?
In fact, yes it has, and very well. Her name was Modesty Blaise.
So why not write Jemma as Modesty? And then make Colonel Moran
into her Willie Garvin?

As I said, it all works better than you might expect. There were a few times
when, it being 2019, a scene would start where I was thinking: "I hope she's
not going there!", but of course she was, and generally made it work.

Overall, I think it would have worked better as a duology rather than
dragging things out to four books, and some of the foreign settings were
a bit underwritten and not fully convincing (Is it the alternate reality
that lets modern Holmes & Watson carry around revolvers in the 21st century
UK, or just not thinking that through?) and the harem dynamics make characters
outside the main five mostly nonexistent, but I'm not sorry I finished the
series.

Fallen (An Alex Verus Novel Book 10)
by Benedict Jacka
https://amzn.to/351pbby

I think I said about Alex's last outing that he needed to pick a side or
be a side, and that while entertaining we had had enough "middle" books.
Well, I certainly can't say that this time.

Alex has been working for the Light Council, while trying desperately to
keep various secrets that will inevitably get him and his girlfriend Anne
killed. Along the way, he is collecting magical artifacts and working to
figure out what exactly is the game his old dark mage mentor is playing.

There are just too many balls in the air for things to end well, and in fact
Alex's most important secret comes out. Now he has in effect had a side
chosen for him, a side of one. As he embraces that, and accepts that
his path will never return to normalcy he loses friends and mentors, levels
up, and sets out to prove a dragon wrong..

I enjoyed this book, and the forward movement. I just hope the plotline
doesn't resolve in a "victory" where too much is lost.

Arena Book 3
by Logan Jacobs
https://amzn.to/34VGr1y

Former truck driver Marc Havak continues to fight the good fight
for Earth in the cosmic Arena battlefield. His team/battle-harem
continues to bond (I believe he has now slept with all but one of
them), and they have moved into the silver level of contestants.
The increased stakes bring harder challenges, both on the field and
off. Marc stumbles into a media debacle with only the debatable
help of the President to mitigate things, and nearly sees his team
destroyed by a media led mob, then a failing of strategy (despite
winning tactics) in a major arena bout almost leads to the team all
being killed. Given that they now have personal enemies on other teams,
they will all have to pull together, or hang separately..

The series continues to be breezy, pop-culture men's adventure pulp,
and Marc & his team are fun to spend time with. I will say that this one
was not quite up to the second book which had a more interesting mob subplot.
It's also getting to be quite implausible that Marc hasn't yet called his
mother to catch up. (I suppose he could be afraid that she won't approve
of his "lifestyle", but he hasn't mentioned that fear). Still good fun.
2019-12-02 02:03:33 UTC
Still behind on these!
====
A Study in Seduction (Moriarty's Men Book 1)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/2XbG14J
The Temptation of Four (Moriarty's Men Book 2)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/32QmMyZ
The Hounds of Devotion (Moriarty's Men Book 3)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/2plgrOc
The Valley of Flames (Moriarty's Men Book 4)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/33KA54Z
Here's an elevator pitch for you: Suppose Sherlock Holmes and his cast were
young men alive today. And suppose Moriarty were a beautiful woman...
Have you been watching "Elementary"? Here's
Moriarty--<Loading Image...>

And then there's Watson
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2019-12-02 05:09:30 UTC
Still behind on these!
====
A Study in Seduction (Moriarty's Men Book 1)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/2XbG14J
The Temptation of Four (Moriarty's Men Book 2)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/32QmMyZ
The Hounds of Devotion (Moriarty's Men Book 3)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/2plgrOc
The Valley of Flames (Moriarty's Men Book 4)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/33KA54Z
Here's an elevator pitch for you: Suppose Sherlock Holmes and his cast were
young men alive today. And suppose Moriarty were a beautiful woman...
Have you been watching "Elementary"? Here's
And then there's Watson
Nope, never heard of it. Lokos like it could be interesting, but I watch
very little video.
m***@sky.com
One of the UK FreeSat channels has just started showing "Elementary". I missed a good deal of the first episode because of a phone call, but became irritated enough watching the second episode that this didn't matter to me. My memory is hazy on the annoyance, but I think it was because (like some others) this presents Holmes as not so much eccentric, but socially incompetent to the point of not really functioning. In the original stories, Holmes is accepted (both in and out of disguise) throughout the more honest parts of the London underclass. I wonder if there is a reluctance in mass media to show their imagined viewer a character that they cannot find some way to look down on.
Robert Carnegie
2019-12-02 10:08:09 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Still behind on these!
====
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
In the original, Sherlock Holmes is gentry; the police
aren't. He's casually rude, dangerous with a gun,
and drug dependent. If you're Victorian gentry, you
can get away with that.

Mycroft is a member of a "club" of gentlemen who meet
every day specifically to ignore one another.
Paul S Person
2019-12-02 17:34:56 UTC
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 02:08:09 -0800 (PST), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@sky.com
Still behind on these!
====
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
Well, after all, they /are/ British.

Tradition, you know.
2019-12-02 17:52:21 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 02:08:09 -0800 (PST), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@sky.com
Still behind on these!
====
Post by Robert Carnegie
In the original, Sherlock Holmes is gentry; the police
aren't. He's casually rude, dangerous with a gun,
and drug dependent. If you're Victorian gentry, you
can get away with that.
Mycroft is a member of a "club" of gentlemen who meet
every day specifically to ignore one another.
Well, after all, they /are/ British.
Tradition, you know.
I'll note that Mycroft is not mentioned at all in the Chase books. There
are some things even a criminal mastermind won't do..
m***@sky.com
2019-12-02 18:38:14 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 02:08:09 -0800 (PST), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@sky.com
Still behind on these!
====
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
[...]
(Or Hunter S Thompson?)
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Robert Carnegie
Mycroft is a member of a "club" of gentlemen who meet
every day specifically to ignore one another.
Well, after all, they /are/ British.
Tradition, you know.
At least for members who do not own a flat in Town, there is a practical aspect to the traditional London club, which survives at least partially today - https://oxfordandcambridgeclub.co.uk/club/ https://www.civilserviceclub.org.uk/ http://www.nlc.org.uk/club. You get the use of facilities you would otherwise need to find a good hotel for - such as a cooked meal and access to a library and newspapers, plus some reassurance about the quality of the people you will interacting with (or who you hope will refrain from disturbing you). This goes double when you commute by steam railway, increasing the number of people who need an overnight stay to do business in London.

I haven't darkened the doors of either of the first two clubs, but I am pretty sure I've been inside the National Liberal Club at least once (hired out for a non-political function). I seem to remember very impressive toilet facilities, lavish, shining white and of course perfectly maintained. I'm not sure whether some part was marble or it was just sparkling porcelain.

ObSF in Drake's Leary/Mundy/RCN series, a number of scenes are within clubs in the capital, which provide luxury accommodation, dining, and meeting places to the elite.
Kevrob
2019-12-03 00:50:50 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 02:08:09 -0800 (PST), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@sky.com
Still behind on these!
====
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Robert Carnegie
[...]
In the Victorian era, it wan't enough to have money, you had
to be "clubbable."

I've always thought any man is clubbable, if you swing hard enough. :)

2019-12-03 02:28:18 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 02:08:09 -0800 (PST), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@sky.com
Still behind on these!
====
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@sky.com
only she knows that they are living in an Urban Fantasy world...
I think I can see some of the gears whirling in Chase's mind when
setting this up. For instance, how can she present Moriarty as an
amoral criminal mastermind who has lovers all over the world and
still have us root for her? Well, hasn't that been done before?
In fact, yes it has, and very well. Her name was Modesty Blaise.
So why not write Jemma as Modesty? And then make Colonel Moran
into her Willie Garvin?
As I said, it all works better than you might expect. There
were a few times
"I hope she's
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Paul S Person
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by m***@sky.com
ObSF in Drake's Leary/Mundy/RCN series, a number of scenes are within
clubs in the capital, which provide luxury accommodation, dining, and
meeting places to the elite.
In the Victorian era, it wan't enough to have money, you had
to be "clubbable."
I've always thought any man is clubbable, if you swing hard enough. :)
I think Mycroft's club was for men who were not.
2019-12-03 10:58:06 UTC
[sip]
I've always thought any man is clubbable, if you swing hard enough. :)
I think Mycroft's club was for men who were not.
For the traditional sense of "unclubbable."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_Club

Now, I'd not mind being a guest at the club
created by Lin Carter, the Cobalt Club,in his
"Prince Zarkon" pulp pastiches.

The real fun would be at the Drones Club.

Kevin R
a.a #2310

Juho Julkunen
2019-12-02 09:33:21 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, jclarke.873638
@gmail.com says...
Still behind on these!
====
A Study in Seduction (Moriarty's Men Book 1)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/2XbG14J
The Temptation of Four (Moriarty's Men Book 2)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/32QmMyZ
The Hounds of Devotion (Moriarty's Men Book 3)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/2plgrOc
The Valley of Flames (Moriarty's Men Book 4)
by Eva Chase
https://amzn.to/33KA54Z
Here's an elevator pitch for you: Suppose Sherlock Holmes and his cast were
young men alive today. And suppose Moriarty were a beautiful woman...
Have you been watching "Elementary"? Here's
That's kind of a spoiler, but yeah, the pitch brought "Elementary" to
mind. I quite like that series, and I think it could count as
speculative fiction. (It takes place in a world where P = NP is proven
to be true, for one.)
--
Juho Julkunen