Amazon Most Popular Authors in Science Fiction.
2018-11-01 02:31:33 UTC
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).

1 Vampires and Werewolves.
2 An alternative history re Dracula.
3 George Orwell. Political Fantasy?
4 This includes spaceships so might be Science fiction. Expect an Amazon
employee to be fired.
5 Is Margaret Atwood a SCIENCE fiction writer?
6 Life after a volcano destroys more stuff than an EMP.

Aaaaarrrggghhh.

I'm seriously considering taking my medications.
J. Clarke
2018-11-01 03:39:56 UTC
Post by Titus G
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).
1 Vampires and Werewolves.
2 An alternative history re Dracula.
3 George Orwell. Political Fantasy?
4 This includes spaceships so might be Science fiction. Expect an Amazon
employee to be fired.
5 Is Margaret Atwood a SCIENCE fiction writer?
6 Life after a volcano destroys more stuff than an EMP.
Aaaaarrrggghhh.
I'm seriously considering taking my medications.
It would help if you provided some context so the rest of us could
figure out WTF you're on about.
Titus G
2018-11-01 04:03:57 UTC
Post by Titus G
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).
1 Vampires and Werewolves.
2 An alternative history re Dracula.
3 George Orwell. Political Fantasy?
4 This includes spaceships so might be Science fiction. Expect an Amazon
employee to be fired.
5 Is Margaret Atwood a SCIENCE fiction writer?
6 Life after a volcano destroys more stuff than an EMP.
Aaaaarrrggghhh.
I'm seriously considering taking my medications.
It would help if you provided some context so the rest of us could
figure out WTF you're on about.
Sorry for not being clearer but the subject is a reference to a list of
the current most popular authors in science fiction from bookseller
Amazon's website.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-11-01 04:06:40 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).
1 Vampires and Werewolves.
2 An alternative history re Dracula.
3 George Orwell. Political Fantasy?
4 This includes spaceships so might be Science fiction. Expect an Amazon
employee to be fired.
5 Is Margaret Atwood a SCIENCE fiction writer?
6 Life after a volcano destroys more stuff than an EMP.
Aaaaarrrggghhh.
I'm seriously considering taking my medications.
It would help if you provided some context so the rest of us could
figure out WTF you're on about.
Sorry for not being clearer but the subject is a reference to a list of
the current most popular authors in science fiction from bookseller
Amazon's website.
Yes, that was evident, but you still have not given the URL, or pasted
the list..
2018-11-01 04:17:45 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).
1 Vampires and Werewolves.
2 An alternative history re Dracula.
3 George Orwell. Political Fantasy?
4 This includes spaceships so might be Science fiction. Expect an Amazon
employee to be fired.
5 Is Margaret Atwood a SCIENCE fiction writer?
6 Life after a volcano destroys more stuff than an EMP.
Aaaaarrrggghhh.
I'm seriously considering taking my medications.
It would help if you provided some context so the rest of us could
figure out WTF you're on about.
Sorry for not being clearer but the subject is a reference to a list of
the current most popular authors in science fiction from bookseller
Amazon's website.
Yes, that was evident, but you still have not given the URL, or pasted
the list..
No, because my gripe was that these topics whilst SF were not science
fiction and that anyone interested would not have difficulty finding it
but as you are not alone in your comment, I suspect I am wrong and
apologise again.

https://www.amazon.com/author-rank/Science-Fiction/books/16272/ref=ntt_dp_kar_B004AQ1W8Y
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-11-01 04:28:33 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Titus G
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
[...]
OK, thanks:

Most Popular Authors in Science Fiction

1.Michael Anderle
2.Robert Masello
3.George Orwell
4.Craig Alanson
5.Margaret Atwood
6.Bobby Akart
7.M. R. Carey
8.B. V. Larson
9.Ken Lozito
10.Octavia E. Butler

1) The only thing I've read of his was a collaboration that probably was
his in name only. It was awful, and was Urban Fantasy. I take it
that some of his Kutherian Gambit books have an SF setting, though
I have not read any. Given covers look SF-y in several cases.

2) Never heard of

3) It's hard to argue that 1984 is not SF. Dated SF now, but SF

4) Never heard of, but covers are SF-y

5) Sure, why not? Admit not reading it, but her big book is a cautionary
tale with SF trappings as I understand it.

6) Never heard of

7) Never heard of

8) Never heard of, but covers look SF-y

9) Never heard of, but covers look SF-y

10) Hard to argue against.
m***@sky.com
2018-11-01 06:15:21 UTC
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 4:28:36 AM UTC, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
(Trimmed)
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Titus G
4 This includes spaceships so might be Science fiction. Expect an Amazon
(trimmed)
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
4.Craig Alanson
Craig Alanson's "Skippy" books are surprisingly intelligent if you don't mind a juvenile sense of humour - rather like his hero, Joe Bishop. I've been meaning to review this series but I haven't yet finished re-reading the final (I think fifth or sixth book) currently available.

These are almost old-fashioned puzzle story books, except that the puzzles aren't strongly science based, and I'm not entirely sure they're completely fair to the reader. Joe Bishop is repeatedly faced with a tactical problem to solve, summarized by Skippy, and - of course - he produces an amusing and imaginative solution.

The world-building is itself an amusing solution to a puzzle. How to get Homo Sapiens traveling between the stars in an alien-inhabited universe, and suddenly performing well enough there to survive against hostile or indifferent species who have been technologically advanced for millions of years?

Step forward Skippy, apparently a shiny talking beer can. Actually an elder technology Artificial Intelligence with a brain the size of a planet, some obvious but amusing personality defects, and constraints placed on him - presumably by his makers - which forbid him interacting with more advanced species. Skippy strikes up a friendship with Joe Bishop, and the rest is future history.
Ahasuerus
2018-11-01 13:11:44 UTC
[snip-snip]

Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Most Popular Authors in Science Fiction
[snip]
8.B. V. Larson
[snip]
8) Never heard of, but covers look SF-y
Popular indie MilSF/space opera, prolific --
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?14072
Dimensional Traveler
2018-11-01 06:35:52 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Titus G
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
[...]
Please provide at least 30 minutes advance warning before re-starting
the "What is SF?" definition flamewar so the non-combatants can be
evacuated to the asbestos bunkers.
2018-11-01 07:28:03 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Titus G
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
[...]
In the dimension I live in, neither asbestos nor bunkers have ever
provided security from the vampires and werewolves commonly found in the
science fiction of Heinlein, Asimov, Banks, Corey, blah, blah, blah,
where's that nurse gone?
J. Clarke
2018-11-01 04:08:52 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).
1 Vampires and Werewolves.
2 An alternative history re Dracula.
3 George Orwell. Political Fantasy?
4 This includes spaceships so might be Science fiction. Expect an Amazon
employee to be fired.
5 Is Margaret Atwood a SCIENCE fiction writer?
6 Life after a volcano destroys more stuff than an EMP.
Aaaaarrrggghhh.
I'm seriously considering taking my medications.
It would help if you provided some context so the rest of us could
figure out WTF you're on about.
Sorry for not being clearer but the subject is a reference to a list of
the current most popular authors in science fiction from bookseller
Amazon's website.
There is something called a "link" with which you might wish to
familiarize yourself.
Titus G
2018-11-01 04:18:37 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).
1 Vampires and Werewolves.
2 An alternative history re Dracula.
3 George Orwell. Political Fantasy?
4 This includes spaceships so might be Science fiction. Expect an Amazon
employee to be fired.
5 Is Margaret Atwood a SCIENCE fiction writer?
6 Life after a volcano destroys more stuff than an EMP.
Aaaaarrrggghhh.
I'm seriously considering taking my medications.
It would help if you provided some context so the rest of us could
figure out WTF you're on about.
Sorry for not being clearer but the subject is a reference to a list of
the current most popular authors in science fiction from bookseller
Amazon's website.
There is something called a "link" with which you might wish to
familiarize yourself.
Please see my reply to Ted Nolan.

https://www.amazon.com/author-rank/Science-Fiction/books/16272/ref=ntt_dp_kar_B004AQ1W8Y
Juho Julkunen
2018-11-01 14:06:22 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, jclarke.873638
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
Sorry for not being clearer but the subject is a reference to a list of
the current most popular authors in science fiction from bookseller
Amazon's website.
There is something called a "link" with which you might wish to
familiarize yourself.
He apparently assumed people would be familiar with "search engines".
Juho Julkunen
J. Clarke
2018-11-01 23:20:36 UTC
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 16:06:22 +0200, Juho Julkunen
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
Sorry for not being clearer but the subject is a reference to a list of
the current most popular authors in science fiction from bookseller
Amazon's website.
There is something called a "link" with which you might wish to
familiarize yourself.
He apparently assumed people would be familiar with "search engines".
Which can find many links but the search on "web site that some random
luser complained about on USENET" is generally not fruitful.
Juho Julkunen
2018-11-02 01:23:25 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
Sorry for not being clearer but the subject is a reference to a list of
the current most popular authors in science fiction from bookseller
Amazon's website.
There is something called a "link" with which you might wish to
familiarize yourself.
He apparently assumed people would be familiar with "search engines".
Which can find many links but the search on "web site that some random
luser complained about on USENET" is generally not fruitful.
Agreed, there is the need for some small modicum of sense, which might
indeed be the chief stumbling block.
Juho Julkunen
Moriarty
2018-11-02 02:57:36 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
Sorry for not being clearer but the subject is a reference to a list of
the current most popular authors in science fiction from bookseller
Amazon's website.
There is something called a "link" with which you might wish to
familiarize yourself.
He apparently assumed people would be familiar with "search engines".
Which can find many links but the search on "web site that some random
luser complained about on USENET" is generally not fruitful.
Agreed, there is the need for some small modicum of sense, which might
indeed be the chief stumbling block.
Particularly since a quick cut and paste of the thread's subject line into google returned the right page at the top of the search results.

Curiously, it's a dynamic list as George Orwell is now at number 2. He was at #3 when the thread started.

-Moriarty
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-11-02 03:00:44 UTC
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
Sorry for not being clearer but the subject is a reference to a list of
the current most popular authors in science fiction from bookseller
Amazon's website.
There is something called a "link" with which you might wish to
familiarize yourself.
He apparently assumed people would be familiar with "search engines".
Which can find many links but the search on "web site that some random
luser complained about on USENET" is generally not fruitful.
Agreed, there is the need for some small modicum of sense, which might
indeed be the chief stumbling block.
Particularly since a quick cut and paste of the thread's subject line
into google returned the right page at the top of the search results.
Curiously, it's a dynamic list as George Orwell is now at number 2. He
was at #3 when the thread started.
-Moriarty
Orwell is going to vary according to where in the semester we are. I'm
pretty sure 99% of his sales are to high school kids.
2018-11-02 13:01:43 UTC
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
Sorry for not being clearer but the subject is a reference to a list of
the current most popular authors in science fiction from bookseller
Amazon's website.
There is something called a "link" with which you might wish to
familiarize yourself.
He apparently assumed people would be familiar with "search engines".
Which can find many links but the search on "web site that some random
luser complained about on USENET" is generally not fruitful.
Agreed, there is the need for some small modicum of sense, which might
indeed be the chief stumbling block.
Particularly since a quick cut and paste of the thread's subject line into google returned the right page at the top of the search results.
Curiously, it's a dynamic list as George Orwell is now at number 2. He was at #3 when the thread started.
-Moriarty
I'm thinking of getting one of these:

https://makeorwellfictionagain.com/product/make-orwell-fiction-again-trucker-hat/

2018-11-02 14:08:39 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Moriarty
Curiously, it's a dynamic list as George Orwell is now at number 2. He
was at #3 when the thread started.
Post by Moriarty
-Moriarty
https://makeorwellfictionagain.com/product/make-orwell-fiction-again-trucker-hat/
Awwwww. Hal would NEVER WEAR it, but I've sent him the link for
giggles.
m***@sky.com
2018-11-03 05:23:10 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
[...]
pt
The curious thing is, the hat is obviously satire on Trump, but (for all his many failings) when I think of modern practitioners of "The purpose of Newspeak was not only to provide a medium of expression for the world-view and mental habits proper to the devotees of Ingsoc, but to make all other modes of thought impossible." and think about attempts to control thought by controlling language, I don't think of Trump.
Robert Carnegie
2018-11-03 08:08:54 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Well, you should.
J. Clarke
2018-11-03 14:18:20 UTC
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 01:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
[...]
Why? The most egregious example of "controlling the language" I have
seen recently is referring to wetbacks as "undocumented immigrants".
Two or three exchanges into the discussion the "undocumented" part
gets dropped and the discussion changes from wetbacks to people with
green cards and so no actual progress can be made on the wetback
issue.

So give us an example of Truimp "controlling language".
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2018-11-03 14:36:58 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
[...]
"Fake News" for "Thing that President Trump doesn't want to hear" is
the first that comes to mind.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.dreamwidth.org
Leo Sgouros
2018-11-03 14:47:25 UTC
Re::Trump and 1984.

Ingsoc is a system supported by it's parts through control. It would have all the likes of social media, were it to exist in that time. We almost had the real thing, and many of you would have cheered. The fact that so much of the ecosystem is against him says it all, if you listen to something outside your own fucking imaginations. I am not even a fan of his, but I tend to respect reality.

Mxkey
J. Clarke
2018-11-03 16:44:12 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
[...]
If that's "controlling language" he's doing a piss-poor job of
it--drop the "fake" and you're talking about real news just as when
you drop the "undocomented" you're talking about legal immigrants.
Dimensional Traveler
2018-11-03 19:25:22 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
[...]
Donald Trump has _told_ reporters he calls what they write "fake news"
so that the public won't believe them when they write about Donald Trump.
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-11-03 20:26:57 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by J. Clarke
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 01:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Post by Robert Carnegie
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 1:01:47 PM UTC, Peter Trei
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 10:57:39 PM UTC-4,
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 12:23:18 PM UTC+11, Juho
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by J. Clarke
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 16:06:22 +0200, Juho Julkunen
Post by Juho Julkunen
In article
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 17:03:57 +1300, Titus G
Post by Titus G
[...]
Which is precisely what one would expect if what they write about
him is, in fact, untrue.

"Fake news" is also what first comes to mind to describe news that
is fake.

2018-11-04 00:47:46 UTC
Post by Moriarty
Post by Titus G
[...]
Have you seen the interview? I have and it is clear that he meant "so
the public won't believe the truth about me".
2018-11-04 01:08:29 UTC
Post by Moriarty
Post by Titus G
[...]
Which interview? He has used the expression "fake news" on many
occasions. I think he finally wore it out and moved on but I may be
mistaken.
Dimensional Traveler
2018-11-04 01:59:13 UTC
Post by Moriarty
Post by Titus G
[...]
The interview was from before he was elected. And he still uses "Fake
News" pretty much every day.
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-11-04 02:02:48 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by J. Clarke
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 01:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
On Saturday, 3 November 2018 05:23:14 UTC,
Post by m***@sky.com
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 10:57:39 PM UTC-4,
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Titus G
[...]
Your TDS is showing again.

2018-11-04 06:50:48 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 10:57:39 PM UTC-4,
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Titus G
[...]
So is your version of Derangement Syndrome.
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-11-04 18:53:06 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by J. Clarke
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 01:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
On Saturday, 3 November 2018 05:23:14 UTC,
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 1:01:47 PM UTC, Peter
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 10:57:39 PM UTC-4,
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 12:23:18 PM UTC+11,
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Titus G
[...]
Your hallucination is part of the ailment.

Alan Baker
Says the guy defending a conman and crook.
Ninapenda Jibini

Alan Baker
2018-11-04 07:52:27 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 10:57:39 PM UTC-4,
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Titus G
[...]
So specifically, what has been written by the media about Donald Trump
that is untrue?
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-11-04 08:08:33 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 10:57:39 PM UTC-4,
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 12:23:18 PM UTC+11, Juho
Post by Juho Julkunen
https://sharylattkisson.com/2018/09/21/50-media-mistakes-in-the-trump-era-the-definitive-list/
Alan Baker
2018-11-04 17:59:18 UTC
Post by m***@sky.com
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 10:57:39 PM UTC-4,
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 12:23:18 PM UTC+11, Juho
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Titus G
[...]
Against how many out-and-out lies by Trump?

:-)
Ninapenda Jibini

Alan Baker
2018-11-05 03:14:28 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
The lies continue.
Yes or no. Do you agree that Trump has lied many, many times?
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by m***@sky.com
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 10:57:39 PM UTC-4,
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 12:23:18 PM UTC+11,
:-)
Titus G
2018-11-05 04:33:10 UTC
How could his wife look fat in anything?
Titus G
2018-11-05 04:44:45 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
The lies continue.
Yes or no. Do you agree that Trump has lied many, many times?
When you wrote that, what were you thinking?

a) Ha! I have him backed into a corner now, because unknown to most, I
have an example which I will spring on him if he is brave enough or
foolhardy enough to say "No".

b) I am reasonably certain that because he has top-posted the same reply
to the last ten thousand posts I have made to this group, he will not
make the same reply to this one and I will not piss anyone off if I also
don't snip all the previous conversation which has no relevance.

c) Something else?
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-11-05 06:52:28 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
The lies continue.
Yes or no. Do you agree that Trump has lied many, many times?
When you wrote that, what were you thinking?
a) Ha! I have him backed into a corner now, because unknown to
most, I have an example which I will spring on him if he is
brave enough or foolhardy enough to say "No".
b) I am reasonably certain that because he has top-posted the
same reply to the last ten thousand posts I have made to this
group, he will not make the same reply to this one and I will
not piss anyone off if I also don't snip all the previous
conversation which has no relevance.
c) Something else?
I gotta be honest here, I don't actually even read Baker's posts
any more. If I were marginally less lazy, I'd write a 'bot to reply
to him. You *know* he'd never know the difference.

Ninapenda Jibini

2018-11-05 00:11:31 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by m***@sky.com
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 10:57:39 PM UTC-4,
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 12:23:18 PM UTC+11, Juho
Post by Juho Julkunen
<https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncountable_set>

logically, since between you starting counting and finishing, ......
Ninapenda Jibini

Alan Baker
2018-11-05 03:13:59 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
The lies continue.
How can asking a question be a lie?
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by J. Clarke
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 01:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
On Saturday, 3 November 2018 05:23:14 UTC,
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 1:01:47 PM UTC, Peter
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 10:57:39 PM UTC-4,
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 12:23:18 PM UTC+11,
Trump that is untrue?
Ninapenda Jibini

2018-11-03 23:28:35 UTC
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 12:25:22 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
[...]
He can tell them anything he likes. It's still not "controlling
language". Now if he redefines "fake" or "news" to mean something
else like the left side has redefined "immigrant" and "rape" then you
might have a point. But now you're trying to control the definition
of "controlling language" to include "expressing an opinion".

Note, I did not vote for Trump and really wish that the Earth would
open up and swallow him, but claiming that an assertion that x is
"fake news" is "controlling language" suggests that you are blind to
the actual issue.
David Johnston
2018-11-03 23:34:07 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Moriarty
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
The "left" haven't redefined "immigrant" and it seems to me that defining "fake" to mean "unflattering to Donald Trump" does constitute a redefinition.
Ahasuerus
2018-11-03 19:26:22 UTC
[snip-snip]
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Peter Trei
https://makeorwellfictionagain.com/product/make-orwell-fiction-again-trucker-hat/
The curious thing is, the hat is obviously satire on Trump, but
(for all his many failings) when I think of modern practitioners
of "The purpose of Newspeak was not only to provide a medium of
expression for the world-view and mental habits proper to the devotees
of Ingsoc, but to make all other modes of thought impossible." and
think about attempts to control thought by controlling language, I
don't think of Trump.
In Orwell's _1984_, Newspeak relied on a pervasive system of
unavoidable censorship, terror and social atomization. It may be
possible to reach similar results without them (see "cults"), but it
would only work on a subset of people and it wouldn't be guaranteed to
last.
Robert Carnegie
2018-11-03 21:10:30 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
[snip-snip]
Post by m***@sky.com
Post by Peter Trei
https://makeorwellfictionagain.com/product/make-orwell-fiction-again-trucker-hat/
The curious thing is, the hat is obviously satire on Trump, but
(for all his many failings) when I think of modern practitioners
of "The purpose of Newspeak was not only to provide a medium of
expression for the world-view and mental habits proper to the devotees
of Ingsoc, but to make all other modes of thought impossible." and
think about attempts to control thought by controlling language, I
don't think of Trump.
In Orwell's _1984_, Newspeak relied on a pervasive system of
unavoidable censorship, terror and social atomization. It may be
possible to reach similar results without them (see "cults"), but it
would only work on a subset of people and it wouldn't be guaranteed to
last.
Terms like "bubble" and "echo chamber" are used to describe
the space in which what you hear is, in effect, censored.
The personal leader cult and the ritual mass demonstration of
followers' hatred of the leader's identified enemy -
"Crooked Hillary" - also fit, as does the peculiar denial of
clearly truthful evidence. But I think Orwell's Party of 1984
is a lot smarter than America's of 2016.

I also wonder if the hat comes in a variant that spells M O F O.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-11-02 01:31:49 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
@gmail.com says...
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Titus G
Sorry for not being clearer but the subject is a reference to a list of
the current most popular authors in science fiction from bookseller
Amazon's website.
There is something called a "link" with which you might wish to
familiarize yourself.
He apparently assumed people would be familiar with "search engines".
Which can find many links but the search on "web site that some random
luser complained about on USENET" is generally not fruitful.
Certainly not for me. My google-fu limps.
2018-11-01 06:33:15 UTC
Post by Titus G
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).
1 Vampires and Werewolves.
2 An alternative history re Dracula.
3 George Orwell. Political Fantasy?
4 This includes spaceships so might be Science fiction. Expect an Amazon
employee to be fired.
5 Is Margaret Atwood a SCIENCE fiction writer?
6 Life after a volcano destroys more stuff than an EMP.
Aaaaarrrggghhh.
I'm seriously considering taking my medications.
It would help if you provided some context so the rest of us could
figure out WTF you're on about.
Or even just WTF he's on.
2018-11-01 03:51:44 UTC
Post by Titus G
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).
1 Vampires and Werewolves.
2 An alternative history re Dracula.
3 George Orwell. Political Fantasy?
4 This includes spaceships so might be Science fiction. Expect an Amazon
employee to be fired.
5 Is Margaret Atwood a SCIENCE fiction writer?
An endless debate. She's a "mainstream writer" who has
written at least two science fiction titles, though she
would allow "speculative fiction" but quail at stf.

Heck, Phillip Roth wrote an alternate history novel.
It even won the Sidewise Award.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plot_Against_America
Post by Titus G
6 Life after a volcano destroys more stuff than an EMP.
Aaaaarrrggghhh.
I'm seriously considering taking my medications.
"Smoke `em if ya got `em," as the platoon sergeants in the
WWII movies would say.

2018-11-01 04:48:28 UTC
Post by Titus G
I'm seriously considering taking my medications.
"Smoke `em if ya got `em," as the platoon sergeants in the
WWII movies would say.
If we civilians take orders from ants dressed in woollen great coats, I
suspect we have already inhaled.
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-11-01 04:42:48 UTC
Post by Titus G
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).
While fans often distinguish between science fiction and speculative
fiction, most *readers* do not. And because most readers do not,
marketing people do not. Genres have only one objective definition,
and that is the marketing definition: "We're calling this xxx because
we want bookstores to shelve it with other books we've called xxx
because we believe it will appeal to people who bought other books we
called xxx." And by and large, for the overall market, they are
generally more on the mark than not.

In short, you complaint is that peole who know how to sell books
better than you do know how to sell books better than you do.

2018-11-01 05:40:47 UTC
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Titus G
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).
While fans often distinguish between science fiction and speculative
fiction, most *readers* do not. And because most readers do not,
marketing people do not. Genres have only one objective definition,
and that is the marketing definition: "We're calling this xxx because
we want bookstores to shelve it with other books we've called xxx
because we believe it will appeal to people who bought other books we
called xxx." And by and large, for the overall market, they are
generally more on the mark than not.
In short, you complaint is that peole who know how to sell books
better than you do know how to sell books better than you do.
As a fan of Science Fiction, my reaction as in my original post was
based on idealistic expectations despite my knowledge and subsequent
cynical mistrust of marketing which never occurred to me until reading
your reply.
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-11-01 05:54:00 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Ninapenda Jibini
Post by Titus G
[...]
There are no wrong definitions, but it is not useful to forget that
all but one is purely subjective. Ask a hundred fans to define
science fiction, and you'll get 200 different answers. And
tomorrow, you'll 200 more. But you knew that.

Amazon's not in business to cater to fans, they're in business to
cater to everyone, and fans are only a tiny part of that.

2018-11-01 08:44:15 UTC
Post by Titus G
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).
It does say beta, they probably want bugs reported?
Post by Titus G
1 Vampires and Werewolves.
There's probably a good scientific reason they only come out
at night / don't reflect in mirrors. :-) (They're ugly?)
Post by Titus G
2 An alternative history re Dracula.
3 George Orwell. Political Fantasy?
4 This includes spaceships so might be Science fiction. Expect an Amazon
employee to be fired.
5 Is Margaret Atwood a SCIENCE fiction writer?
(Looks at picture) Wasn't she in Doctor Who? :-)
Don't take anyone else's.
David Johnston
I think the author is blaming them on alien genetic engineering or something. Later books in the series seem to be set far into the future.
Titus G
2018-11-02 04:18:34 UTC
Post by Titus G
Note the subject title SCIENCE FICTION. (Not SF).
It does say beta, they probably want bugs reported?
Post by Titus G
1 Vampires and Werewolves.
Because there are no life threatening bugs in NZ, I have always believed
Vampires and Werewolves to be more frightening but on previous
occasions, (once I dialled 911 after reading a story about Goldman,
Sachs), when reporting even small bugs such as blow flies to local air
traffic control or big bugs like Werewolves in human form to local
Police and Animal Control, I have been ignored.
Post by Robert Carnegie
There's probably a good scientific reason they only come out
at night / don't reflect in mirrors. :-) (They're ugly?)
I don't want to start an argument but you are so wrong I am forced to
disagree.
Vampires started the night coming out rumour themselves so they could
get a good night's sleep after feeding all day on unsuspecting victims.
Werewolves that only come out at night are the predominantly human who
are still extremely embarrassed by memories of the epiphany experienced
at their joyous introduction to coprophagy. (They might be ugly.) The
Werewolves that do come out other than at night are the more dangerous
because they usually retain the wolf shape for at least twenty four
hours a day.
Perhaps the one thing we can agree on is that explanation of the
behaviour of Vampires and Werewolves is firmly based on Science Fact and
has no place in Science Fiction?

snip
Now, as then, too late!
Robert Carnegie
2018-11-02 09:28:03 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Titus G
I'm seriously considering taking my medications.
Don't take anyone else's.
Now, as then, too late!
I think not coprophagy; that'd be the amusingly animated "were-rabbit",
which I think I haven't watched through, but it probably isn't
mentioned.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_%26_Gromit:_The_Curse_of_the_Were-Rabbit>
And it probably isn't mentioned there, but I don't know what word
to search for. There's "demands to alter the material to appeal
more to American children", but unspecified.