No foolin'!
2020-04-01 18:58:12 UTC
[quote]

April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

[/quote] - T. S. Eliot, "The Wasteland"

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/47311/the-waste-land

No more is cruelty is needed, thank you!

I just got news that a 72-year-old cousin of mine, a nurse,
who has COVID-19, has had her fever come down. We are
awaiting news on her husband. Fingers crossed, as if that
does any good. She's being monitored at home. Half the
cousins are in the health profession. My uncle, an MD,
delivered me and all my siblings. Woe to any medicos who
don't give them the best care!

I'd say April Fool's Day is at least unofficially cancelled.

Kevin R
William Hyde
2020-04-01 21:05:06 UTC
[quote]
April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
I am always reminded of a cartoon in Punch, circa the 1970s. Two suited guys are talking in an office. One says:

"Well, if April isn't the cruelest month, it's not because we don't try".

William Hyde
2020-04-01 22:32:07 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by Kevrob
[quote]
April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
I am always reminded of a cartoon in Punch, circa the 1970s.
"Well, if April isn't the cruelest month, it's not because
we don't try".
From the back, does the glass on the door read "ǝυnǝvǝЯ bnɒlnI"...?

[ ƧЯI in Leftpondia ]

:)
Kevin R
William Hyde
2020-04-02 21:03:46 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by Kevrob
[quote]
April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
I am always reminded of a cartoon in Punch, circa the 1970s.
"Well, if April isn't the cruelest month, it's not because
we don't try".
From the back, does the glass on the door read "ǝυnǝvǝЯ bnɒlnI"...?
[ ƧЯI in Leftpondia ]
At this point I cannot recall whether the cartoonist (Handlesman, I believe) gave us that hint. Clearly you didn't need it.

A brief google search through 70s punch cartoons was fun, but I didn't find the one in question.

William Hyde

Dorothy J Heydt
2020-04-01 23:08:17 UTC
[quote]
April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
[/quote] - T. S. Eliot, "The Wasteland"
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/47311/the-waste-land
No more is cruelty is needed, thank you!
I just got news that a 72-year-old cousin of mine, a nurse,
who has COVID-19, has had her fever come down. We are
awaiting news on her husband. Fingers crossed, as if that
does any good. She's being monitored at home. Half the
cousins are in the health profession. My uncle, an MD,
delivered me and all my siblings. Woe to any medicos who
don't give them the best care!
Fingers duly crossed.
2020-04-02 06:03:27 UTC
[quote]
April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
[/quote] - T. S. Eliot, "The Wasteland"
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/47311/the-waste-land
No more is cruelty is needed, thank you!
I just got news that a 72-year-old cousin of mine, a nurse,
who has COVID-19, has had her fever come down. We are
awaiting news on her husband. Fingers crossed, as if that
does any good. She's being monitored at home. Half the
cousins are in the health profession. My uncle, an MD,
delivered me and all my siblings. Woe to any medicos who
don't give them the best care!
Fingers duly crossed.
The virus got someone whose work I always enjoyed:
Adam Schlesinger, songwriter and co-founder of the band
"Fountains of Wayne." Dead at 52. That's 20 years
younger than my cousin, who we hope will recover.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/04/adam-schlesinger-co-founder-of-nj-band-fountains-of-wayne-dies-from-coronavirus.html

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/fountains-of-waynes-adam-schlesinger-dead-obituary-coronavirus-975786/

If you've never seen the live-action "Josie and the Pussycats"
or "That Thing You Do," rent them. Schlesinger wrote music for both.

Kay (Letters to Cleo) Hanley, singing as "Josie"

Adam S singing backup to Mike Viola, as the fictional
band, "The Oneders" (aka The Wonders) on their hit.

Film clip

http://youtu.be/Dsi-eF6-uOY Soundtrack

Fountains of Wayne's "All Kinds of Time."

We never have enough, though.