"SpaceX's Crew Dragon has a new space toilet for astronauts. But how does it work?"
2020-05-27 03:37:44 UTC
https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dragon-space-toilet-mystery.html

Ewwwwwwwwwww. Space diapers for all !

2020-05-27 04:05:16 UTC
"SpaceX's Crew Dragon has a new space toilet for astronauts. But how
does it work?"
https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dragon-space-toilet-mystery.html
Ewwwwwwwwwww. Space diapers for all !
In _2001_ (the film) there's a brief shot of Heywood Floyd
examining the lengthy instructions, most of which are in too
small a print to read, on the door of a Zero-Gravity Toilet.

In a book I either used to have or still have (not going to get
up and look just now), on the making of _2001_, the entire
lengthy instructions are displayed legibly. Basically, it's a
mini-centrifuge, with warnings about sealing the compartment
before starting rotation and waiting for your elephant to come to
a complete stop before unsealing.

Beats diapers, I suppose, although I wonder what kind of Coriolis
effects you'd get from sitting in a centrifuge whose center of
rotation was not very far above your head.
2020-05-27 04:21:23 UTC
[...]
You know, I find it amusing that so many people think that a zero-g
toilet is something novel. They've been in service since 1967, so
there is no news there.
Jack Bohn
2020-05-27 08:51:38 UTC
You know, I find it amusing that so many people think that a zero-g
toilet is something novel.  They've been in service since 1967, so
there is no news there.
I heard of a pop-science summary of techniques in the '70s subtitled, "There Ain't No Elegant Way." The latest I read, in a book, _Packing for Mars_, still no breakthrough.
-Jack
Gary R. Schmidt
2020-05-27 09:49:54 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by J. Clarke
You know, I find it amusing that so many people think that a zero-g
toilet is something novel.  They've been in service since 1967, so
there is no news there.
I heard of a pop-science summary of techniques in the '70s subtitled, "There Ain't No Elegant Way." The latest I read, in a book, _Packing for Mars_, still no breakthrough.
Someone commented, on seeing the SkyLab toilet plans, "As far as I can
tell, the shit's *supposed* to hit the fan!"

Cheers,
Gary B-)
Waiting for a new signature to suggest itself...
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-27 13:52:36 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
You know, I find it amusing that so many people think that a zero-g
toilet is something novel.  They've been in service since 1967, so
there is no news there.
I heard of a pop-science summary of techniques in the '70s subtitled,
"There Ain't No Elegant Way."
I read that one ... but I can't remember anything of it but the
title.

2020-05-27 14:33:10 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
You know, I find it amusing that so many people think that a zero-g
toilet is something novel.  They've been in service since 1967, so
there is no news there.
I heard of a pop-science summary of techniques in the '70s subtitled,
"There Ain't No Elegant Way."
I read that one ... but I can't remember anything of it but the
title.
A House in Space, which on a reread wasn't as good as I remembered, mentioned that
not only was the toilet awkward to use because it was flush with the wall, the
astronauts were aware it was sort of an airlock and a mishap could get them
sucked colon first out into space. Which would be bad.
But the instructions were in Russian.
Thomas Koenig
2020-05-27 11:08:45 UTC
"SpaceX's Crew Dragon has a new space toilet for astronauts. But how
does it work?"
https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dragon-space-toilet-mystery.html
Ewwwwwwwwwww. Space diapers for all !
In _2001_ (the film) there's a brief shot of Heywood Floyd
examining the lengthy instructions, most of which are in too
small a print to read, on the door of a Zero-Gravity Toilet.
That is absolutely the best scene of the film.