Rae the Doe goes M-W-F--TAKE TWO
Chrysi Cat
2021-09-01 23:49:19 UTC
Just realised there's a really good reason (Hi, Dorothy!) to not confine
this to the comics ng.

Text from original r.a.c.s post to follow
https://www.comicskingdom.com/rae-the-doe/2021-08-30
I know she's claiming "busy", but I think this might be more of a case of "occupational hazard when you draw from life AND your main character is prone to severe depression".
Not sure if this will affect any actual physical newspapers; Olive did get this syndicated, but I can't imagine any paper whose readership wouldn't have had massive subscriber complaints over an openly-trans woman drawing an openly-trans character "for muh kids to read". I mean, I don't think that Phoebe and Her Unicorn would last another week if Dana suddenly were to reveal that Phoebe's birth name had been Peter.
Also, how did *I* of all people not realise this strip existed until a week before the production cut? I don't mean "didn't know it was syndicated"; I somehow didn't know it had existed even in pre-syndication form.
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger
2021-09-02 02:23:07 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Just realised there's a really good reason (Hi, Dorothy!) to not confine
this to the comics ng.
Hi, Chrysi!
Post by Chrysi Cat
Text from original r.a.c.s post to follow
https://www.comicskingdom.com/rae-the-doe/2021-08-30
I know she's claiming "busy", but I think this might be more of a case
of "occupational hazard when you draw from life AND your main character
is prone to severe depression".
Cf. _Something Positive_, in which the main character is
depressed and so is the artist, who makes no bones about it.
Post by Chrysi Cat
Not sure if this will affect any actual physical newspapers; Olive did
get this syndicated, but I can't imagine any paper whose readership
wouldn't have had massive subscriber complaints over an openly-trans
woman drawing an openly-trans character "for muh kids to read". I mean,
I don't think that Phoebe and Her Unicorn would last another week if
Dana suddenly were to reveal that Phoebe's birth name had been Peter.
I've never seen this strip before. Is it okay to ask which
character is trans, and how do you know? Previous strips? Some
kind of coding that I wouldn't have noticed? All I found weird
(other than the characters breaking the fourth wall, which
happens a lot in webcomics) was that the reindeer(?) seems to
have their face on sideways.
Post by Chrysi Cat
Also, how did *I* of all people not realise this strip existed until a
week before the production cut? I don't mean "didn't know it was
syndicated"; I somehow didn't know it had existed even in
pre-syndication form.
I didn't know it existed until you posted.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Chrysi Cat
2021-09-02 05:52:56 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Not sure if this will affect any actual physical newspapers; Olive did
get this syndicated, but I can't imagine any paper whose readership
wouldn't have had massive subscriber complaints over an openly-trans
woman drawing an openly-trans character "for muh kids to read". I mean,
I don't think that Phoebe and Her Unicorn would last another week if
Dana suddenly were to reveal that Phoebe's birth name had been Peter.
I've never seen this strip before. Is it okay to ask which
character is trans, and how do you know? Previous strips? Some
kind of coding that I wouldn't have noticed? All I found weird
(other than the characters breaking the fourth wall, which
happens a lot in webcomics) was that the reindeer(?) seems to
have their face on sideways.
She's a whitetail, not a reindeer. Still wondering which character is
MtF? :-P

Also, yes, "previous strips" is part of it, as somewhere in the early
syndication-only strips she mentions that she's a doe with antlers and
at that point she's standing in front of the trans flag.
Chrysi Cat
2021-09-02 09:07:26 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Chrysi Cat
[...]
And then I probably should have included this with that last reply
anyway, but Olive's Tumblr still has a link to the original
pre-syndication, webcomic version, plus she archives every KFS strip
there once it's gone behind the KFS paywall (I can't remember if
_that's_ an issue for you or not), with the exception of the "Rae the
Doe Classic" reprints that were a large part of 2021's syndication
package, but can still be found only in the original Webcomic archive
and in the Comics Kingdom archive.

The key link there is probably

https://raethedoe.tumblr.com/
2021-09-02 12:15:37 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
The key link there is probably
https://raethedoe.tumblr.com/
And I see that at one point the strip bore the title "Rae the Doe and Mimi",
taking the musical pun further.

2021-09-02 13:10:10 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Chrysi Cat
Not sure if this will affect any actual physical newspapers; Olive did
get this syndicated, but I can't imagine any paper whose readership
wouldn't have had massive subscriber complaints over an openly-trans
woman drawing an openly-trans character "for muh kids to read". I mean,
I don't think that Phoebe and Her Unicorn would last another week if
Dana suddenly were to reveal that Phoebe's birth name had been Peter.
I've never seen this strip before. Is it okay to ask which
character is trans, and how do you know? Previous strips? Some
kind of coding that I wouldn't have noticed? All I found weird
(other than the characters breaking the fourth wall, which
happens a lot in webcomics) was that the reindeer(?) seems to
have their face on sideways.
She's a whitetail, not a reindeer. Still wondering which character is
MtF? :-P
No, now that you've given her a feminine pronoun. :)
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Chrysi Cat
2021-09-02 17:45:36 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Chrysi Cat
[...]
Ha! I'm not in the habit of thinking about deer's secondary sex
characteristics, but now that you brought it up, I do remember that
reindeer are the only ones where all have antlers.
Anyway, I quickly found <https://www.raethedoe.com>, which greets you
with a longer origin story.
Remember the time when there were web pages that weren't part of some
social media empire? <g>
Bear in mind, in this case, that web page pre-dates the syndicated
version of the comic (by 3 years).

Not sure if Olive was doing anything special with her personal *Twitter*
account before starting up the @raethedoe one, though.
John W Kennedy
2021-09-02 21:37:38 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Chrysi Cat
[...]
She remarked around the same time that she’s a lesbian. At which point,
I concede, my 100%-cis, 100%-straight brain nearly exploded, but—Que
sais-je?