[Because My Tears Are Delicious To You] Convergent Series by Larry Niven
2020-05-24 13:11:22 UTC
Convergent Series by Larry Niven
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/flashback-blues
2020-05-24 15:52:10 UTC
Convergent Series by Larry Niven
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/flashback-blues
"Singularities Make Me Nervous" • (1974) • short story

The casual implications of black hole facilitated time travel are
disturbing enough. The reality is worse.

This casual causal concoction is the only _Convergent Series_
composition read by me thus far. It's comes from a set of Niven's
purchased used on ebay about ten years ago. Some of those Nivens have
been read in their entirety by me, others not.

Danke,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
Carl Fink
2020-05-24 21:52:03 UTC
Your site is currently calling this comment "spam". I do not know why.

"This story is, as the author notes, one of a number of dry runs for Known
Space. It's interesting that he gets the stellar class of Sirius B
wrong. Also interesting that he apparently cannot image humans could resist
breeding up to the ragged limits of their environment."

No, I think he meant this as a cautionary tale about what would happen *if*
people could not resist, etc.

"Humanity's first STL probe reaches Alpha Centauri. This even is not
greeted with the accolades that its designers believe its due."

Event.
--
Carl Fink ***@finknetwork.com
https://reasonablyliterate.com https://nitpicking.com