"The Best Planetary Romance Books" by Dan Livingston
2021-02-28 02:21:28 UTC
"The Best Planetary Romance Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-planetary-romance-books/

I have read "Foreigner", "A Princess of Mars", "Dragonflight", and
"Dune" of the 21 books.

2021-02-28 03:38:25 UTC
On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 20:21:28 -0600, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
"The Best Planetary Romance Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-planetary-romance-books/
I have read "Foreigner", "A Princess of Mars", "Dragonflight", and
"Dune" of the 21 books.
Foreigner, The Sky People (I really prefer In the Courts of the
Crimson Kings), Courtship Rite (in whatever magazine it was
published), To Your Scattered Bodies Go, A Princess of Mars,
Dragonflight, Dune.
2021-02-28 06:03:00 UTC
"The Best Planetary Romance Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-planetary-romance-books/
I have read "Foreigner", "A Princess of Mars", "Dragonflight", and
"Dune" of the 21 books.
Lynn
Well, I think he's stretching the (elastic, but not *that* elastic)
boundries of the form to meaninglessness by including _Courtship Rite_,
_The Left Hand of Darkness_, _The Demon Princes_ & _To Your Scattered
Bodies Go_.

Also, how can you mention _Jandar of Callisto_ without noting the central
conceit?
2021-02-28 06:15:50 UTC
"The Best Planetary Romance Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-planetary-romance-books/
I have read "Foreigner", "A Princess of Mars", "Dragonflight", and
"Dune" of the 21 books.
Lynn
Well, I think he's stretching the (elastic, but not *that* elastic)
boundries of the form to meaninglessness by including _Courtship Rite_,
_The Left Hand of Darkness_, _The Demon Princes_ & _To Your Scattered
Bodies Go_.
Also, how can you mention _Jandar of Callisto_ without noting the central
conceit?
Well, you just did.
--
I like living in the suburbs of Sanity. I can commute there when I need
to be serious or mature but otherwise I can do as I please.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2021-02-28 06:25:43 UTC
"The Best Planetary Romance Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-planetary-romance-books/
I have read "Foreigner", "A Princess of Mars", "Dragonflight", and
"Dune" of the 21 books.
Lynn
Well, I think he's stretching the (elastic, but not *that* elastic)
boundries of the form to meaninglessness by including _Courtship Rite_,
_The Left Hand of Darkness_, _The Demon Princes_ & _To Your Scattered
Bodies Go_.
Also, how can you mention _Jandar of Callisto_ without noting the central
conceit?
Well, you just did.
--
I like living in the suburbs of Sanity. I can commute there when I need
to be serious or mature but otherwise I can do as I please.
Touche.

And..

Turns out I was wrong anyway.. operator headspace issue.

It's _Lankar of Callisto_ that has the conceit -- Fantasy author Lin Carter
gets caught up in the books he has been fronting and himself ends up on
Callisto.
2021-02-28 06:32:21 UTC
[...]
Lin Carter's books pissed me off with the pretense that they were
something that really happened. But I give him credit for his modesty
in Lankar. It's not often in these kind of books that the Earth man
turns out to be useless, surviving only thanks to others dealing with
the threats.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2021-02-28 06:40:02 UTC
[...]
That's a convention of the genre, starting with John Carter and going
through Dray Prescott.
Post by David Johnston
in Lankar. It's not often in these kind of books that the Earth man
turns out to be useless, surviving only thanks to others dealing with
the threats.
And a talent for domestication!
2021-02-28 15:57:34 UTC
[...]
The narrator-as-bumbling-fool has some noteworthy examples in
literature. Consider Dante's portrayal of himself in the
_Commedia: continually asking stupid questions at the wrong time,
and being too shy to ask at the right time; not to mention
rushing here and there into situations that could get him killed
(since, unlike everybody else in the _Commedia_, he's still in
his mortal body. Chaucer's narrator in the _Canterbury Tales_ is
more subtle, but as he describes his fellow pilgrims, one
realizes that he takes everybody at face value.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Jack Bohn
2021-02-28 16:01:22 UTC
"The Best Planetary Romance Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-planetary-romance-books/
Well, I think he's stretching the (elastic, but not *that* elastic)
boundries of the form to meaninglessness by including _Courtship Rite_,
_The Left Hand of Darkness_, _The Demon Princes_ & _To Your Scattered
Bodies Go_.
Also, how can you mention _Jandar of Callisto_ without noting the central
conceit?
Surely planetary romance can expand to include what happens on habitable moons!

Yeah, from _Courtship_ I remember no "scenery," just the politics and the conditions that drove them. _Scattered Bodies_ was exploration of the Riverworld as a Big Dumb Object -- there was, again, no geographic location different from any other except maybe the possible source of the river. I haven't read _Demon Princes_, but surely _Planet of Adventure_ is the Vance that is -- if not "better," at least more planetary romance.

I wonder about _Voyage to Arcturus_. There may have been sites to see, but what I remember more are the different creatures. It seemed the protagonist would gain a new sense to match the creature he meets, and adopt an entirely new worldview from that.
-Jack
Hamish Laws
2021-02-28 06:51:14 UTC
"The Best Planetary Romance Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-planetary-romance-books/
I have read "Foreigner", "A Princess of Mars", "Dragonflight", and
"Dune" of the 21 books.
Read
Black Sun Rising
The Sky People (I think)
A Princess of Mars
Dragonflight
Dune
Moriarty
2021-02-28 21:47:15 UTC
"The Best Planetary Romance Books" by Dan Livingston
https://best-sci-fi-books.com/the-best-planetary-romance-books/
I have read "Foreigner", "A Princess of Mars", "Dragonflight", and
"Dune" of the 21 books.
He's mixed up his Moorcocks. "Kane of Old Mars", not one novel but three that had been separately published earlier combined as an omnibus, isn't the book described. What's actually described is another Moorcock book "The Eternal Champion" which has nothing to do with Mars.

-Moriarty